Which Players are Leaving?

AUght2win

I think with our new OC, Dilly, Gatewood might stay to see how he could really develop under a QB coach and get playing time in 2019. I think there is a lot more to Gatewood that we have not seen and now we might have a chance to see what he can do.

• Replies 660
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got a question.......

why would anyone think that Gatewood would be the starting Quarterback at Auburn when he wasn't even the starting QB in High school?

Gatewood hasn’t had a lot of formal quarterback training and split time at quarterback as a senior at Bartram Trail High 

33 minutes ago, JJB74 said:

I got a question.......

why would anyone think that Gatewood would be the starting Quarterback at Auburn when he wasn't even the starting QB in High school?

Gatewood hasn’t had a lot of formal quarterback training and split time at quarterback as a senior at Bartram Trail High 

For the love of... Gatewood was on a high school team that had another D1 QB on the roster.

It would of been irresponsible for the coach to only let one play when he has 2 D1 seniors on his team.

Screenshot_20181211-093205.png

43 minutes ago, JJB74 said:

I got a question.......

That's about like someone saying "why does anyone think Cam Newton would start at Auburn when he couldn't even start for Florida?" See how insane that is? Its kinda the same thing as what you just said. Now if you had no idea about the other QB, then I am actually sorry... However google is your friend. Its easy to search out why Gatewood wasn't a full time starter.

5 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

For the love of... Gatewood was on a high school team that had another D1 QB on the roster.

It would of been irresponsible for the coach to only let one play when he has 2 D1 seniors on his team.

Screenshot_20181211-093205.png

Zackly!!! Gatewood is tbe truth. 

1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

Zackly!!! Gatewood is tbe truth. 

JG mostly looked like a wildcat back instead of  a Q B in games I saw.   An ok passer but tough runner.

15 minutes ago, AU64 said:

JG mostly looked like a wildcat back instead of  a Q B in games I saw.   An ok passer but tough runner.

The Malzahn of five years ago would’ve exploited every ounce of athleticism in Gatewood’s body. 

17 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Trey Burton. Came to Florida as a QB, plays TE in the NFL. Did both and a lot of other things in the Swamp. Some might remember a little something called the Philly Special. Yep. That was Burton who threw it.

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Trey Burton. Came to Florida as a QB, plays TE in the NFL. Did both and a lot of other things in the Swamp. Some might remember a little something called the Philly Special. Yep. That was Burton who threw it.

Trey Burton wears Joey Gatewood pajamas to be honest.

57 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Most people said that about Cam as well. How did that turn out for them?

Only a little ribbing - knowing that's the going "trend" to place him at TE.

Might be the spring game before we actually see him in action again though.

2 minutes ago, AidiAU said:

I don’t know if anyone beside myself is interested, but Jalen Harris has narrowed down his list of schools. 

9A14F8BA-432A-41B9-8F0C-1B5E9A3FDF98.png

That's a very interesting list of schools. I just hope he doesn't choose Georgia. LOL

1 minute ago, Linayus said:

That's a very interesting list of schools. I just hope he doesn't choose Georgia. LOL

1 minute ago, Tiger said:

If he goes to UGA and becomes a weapon...

I despise uga - no idea what their TE situation is, but would hate for him to transfer and then not get to play much. 

3 minutes ago, AidiAU said:

I despise uga - no idea what their TE situation is, but would hate for him to transfer and then not get to play much. 

It's not in alphabetical order so I can only assume that he unknowingly ranked his prospects 😏

Gatewood is just another athlete put at QB in HS because they touch the ball every play. He wasnt super highly recruited as a QB, and that's for good reason. He is a multi year project that you may spend 2+years working on for nothing. He is still developmentally behind most major QB recruit when they get on campus. 

He had no business being a QB recruit at Auburn, but of course this is Guswho wasted a scholarship on JF3 also. 

23 minutes ago, AidiAU said:

I don’t know if anyone besides myself is interested, but Jalen Harris has narrowed down his list of schools. 

9A14F8BA-432A-41B9-8F0C-1B5E9A3FDF98.png

Why would he not choose UGA in this situation? Maybe KSU since they got the North Dakota State coach.

15 minutes ago, AUGunsmith said:

Gatewood is just another athlete put at QB in HS because they touch the ball every play. He wasnt super highly recruited as a QB, and that's for good reason. He is a multi year project that you may spend 2+years working on for nothing. He is still developmentally behind most major QB recruit when they get on campus. 

He had no business being a QB recruit at Auburn, but of course this is Guswho wasted a scholarship on JF3 also. 

Wasted scholly?  Disagree there...possibly not a QB...but too early to tell.  IMO.. Whatever, he is a good athlete and could be important to AU in the future....

I will be sick if he goes to UGA. It will crush the small little bit of hope I have in Gus's ability to evaluate talent. A part of me hopes that the players transferring are due to their own deficiencies and not being the best at their position. I mean have we ever had a player transfer that went to a stronger program, and did well at that program?  If he goes to UGA and plays, then its purely on Gus for not getting him involved. Same with Mate Craig-Myers.

20 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Wasted scholly?  Disagree there...possibly not a QB...but too early to tell.  IMO.. Whatever, he is a good athlete and could be important to AU in the future....

i think the staff will weigh whether Gatewood can be developed quicker into a TE than a polished QB, Especially if they find they have enough quality QBs to compete next year (Nix, Cord)

37 minutes ago, AU64 said:

As long he is listed and plays as a QB it is a wasted spot. 

1 hour ago, AUGunsmith said:

He won the MVP in the Under Armour All American game for good reason too. 

Archived