Trump’s Christian Apologists Are Unchristian

homersapien

Polls show that on immigration, race, and poverty, white evangelical Protestants have surrendered moral judgment and social responsibility.

.............. I take two lessons from these studies of white evangelicals. One is that the “Christian right,” as represented by Trump apologists, has betrayed Christianity. Trump presents a new, or in some cases newly revived, set of moral issues. Theft, open bigotry, race-baiting, explicit discrimination, boastful misogyny, sexual abuse of minors, the promotion of political violence, and the deliberate killing of innocent people are now on the table. Jerry Falwell Jr., Robert Jeffress, Franklin Graham, and others who stand with Trump in these fights should no longer be taken seriously as spokesmen for a faith. They’re purveyors of evil.

Read the full article at:   https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2018/11/trumps-christian-apologists-are-unchristian.html

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

3 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

Who is Robert Jeffress? I have heard of the other purveyors. 

https://www.vox.com/2018/6/25/17502170/pastor-robert-jeffress-america-christian-nation-trump-dallas-baptist

..... This is far from the first time that Jeffress has used that pulpit to make expressly pro-Trump, political points. Last year, he led a “freedom rally” in which the words of the Trump campaign slogan “Make America Great Again” were made into a religious hymn. (The sheet music has since been made available for pastors to download for their own church choir.) He has frequently suggested that Trump was chosen by God, and — as a result of the Bible verse Romans 13 — has the “authority to do whatever” he wants, up to and including starting a nuclear war. At last month’s opening of the new, controversial US Embassy in Jerusalem, Jeffress told audiences that Trump stood “on the right side of God.” ....

I have said this and posted up other articles that said this before. They are not truly Christian. They are just Political types that have been brainwashed by Hannity, Rush, Blaze, etc. 

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, AUDub said:

Too bad they didn’t ask Jerry about that “gift” he gave the pool boy. Birds of a feather flock together. And pay off people to stay quiet about sexual relations. 

1 hour ago, TexasTiger said:

New Living Translation
Jesus called his disciples to him and said, "I tell you the truth, this poor widow has given more than all the others who are making contributions.

Tex, I was about to add that myself. Shame on Falwell. 

1 hour ago, DKW 86 said:

Tex, I was about to add that myself. Shame on Falwell. 

"...so you see, the moneychangers in the temple were the good guys."

-Falwell, probably

32 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

It's always interesting seeing self righteous folks judging whether someone else is a Christian.

Always good to get your two cents. 

Conservative Christians Were The Political Pawns Of 2018

Trump will continue to be a chess master, moving Christians toward the death of their integrity and the increase of his own power.

(excerpt) 

.......This administration floats on hollow promises and grandiose rhetoric. Trump is a political siren, singing and swaying Christians away from the values of Jesus with the promise of single-issue victories on abortion, religious freedom and a seat at the political table. They seem plenty happy to go along with Trump, to the death of their integrity and the witness they so claim to desire.

It has become more and more clear that some Christians will go to any length to gain and maintain political power, sacrificing Jesus’ values of inclusion and justice in exchange for a front-row seat at this administration’s circus of oppressive activity. The sad irony is that members of Trump’s evangelical Christian base are the least powerful pieces on this political chessboard, mere pawns used to spread Trump’s message of hate and oppression.

Jesus warned against gaining the world and losing your soul, but some Christians have sold out the real Jesus in exchange for American political prestige and acclaim. Until they believe that Jesus himself is worth more than their ideas about him, Trump will continue to be a chess master, moving Christians toward the death of their integrity and the increase of his own power.

Full article at:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/opinion-trump-conservative-christians_us_5c267b7de4b08aaf7a9044e4

1 hour ago, homersapien said:

That pretty much sums it up.

What really sums it up is that not a lot of folks give 2 cents or a rats end about what junior says or who he endorses politically. This is an uninteresting  has been thread that Dub dug up. Only a couple of us responded after you originally  posted it............bored that day I guess.

19 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

What really sums it up is that not a lot of folks give 2 cents or a rats end about what junior says or who he endorses politically. This is an uninteresting  has been thread that Dub dug up. Only a couple of us responded after you originally  posted it............bored that day I guess.

He’s hardly a fringe figure in Trump world. 🙄

While I don't condone many things Trump has done and said, he has protected religious liberties and appointed a conservative to the Supreme Court. This is in contrast to HRC saying "we have to change long-held beliefs" in this country and  calling people who opposed her and her radical agenda "deplorables". I think we all know she was aiming this at conservative Christians and their opposition to abortion on demand ,  homosexuality and transgender issues.

53 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Awwwww.....  :comfort:

5 minutes ago, PUB78 said:

While I don't condone many things Trump has done and said, he has protected religious liberties and appointed a conservative to the Supreme Court. This is in contrast to HRC saying "we have to change long-held beliefs" in this country and  calling people who opposed her and her radical agenda "deplorables". I think we all know she was aiming this at conservative Christians and their opposition to abortion on demand ,  homosexuality and transgender issues.

I think she was actually referring to the large segment of Trump supporters who are racists and xenophobes.  And she was right.

I am curious, would you outlaw homosexuality and transgenders or just outlaw their "agenda".

Geeeez. :no:

14 minutes ago, homersapien said:

I think she was actually referring to the large segment of Trump supporters who are racists and xenophobes.  And she was right.

The deplorables thing is weird not just because it’s so dated, but because Clinton said there were two kinds of Trump voters. Ones with genuine grievances and the spiteful racists whom she called “deplorables.”

And then a bunch of Trump voters said, “just to be clear, we’re in the racist portion.”

1 hour ago, homersapien said:

I am curious, would you outlaw homosexuality and transgenders or just outlaw their "agenda".

Geeeez. :no:

Outlaw them.

4 minutes ago, PUB78 said:

Outlaw them.

Excuse me? Outlaw homosexuality and trans people? 

Archived