Trump’s Christian Apologists Are Unchristian

homersapien

11 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

I know exactly what he said. If Pub does not believe in gay marriage so be it. You guys love to take an age old controversy like this and lay it at Trump supporters feet.

Hey, I would not see a Doctor that performs trans operations by choice.  

This conversation started with a discussion about folks like Falwell and showing his folly using direct passages from the Bible to show that yes, poor people can help a ton.  It naturally ventured into another arena.  In fact, I'm pretty sure Pub was the first to bring up homosexuality in the thread with regards to the topic at hand. 

But if you are going to say "nobody said ban the gays" and then be shown that yes, in fact someone did, then at least own up to it and stop trying to move the goal posts.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Brad_ATX said:

This conversation started with a discussion about folks like Falwell.  It naturally ventured into another arena.  In fact, I'm pretty sure Pub was the first to bring up homosexuality in the thread with regards to the topic at hand. 

But if you are going to say "nobody said ban the gays" and then be shown that yes, in fact someone did, then at least own up to it and stop trying to move the goal posts.

I know how it started, who poured fueled with stupid questions, who gave an honest answer based on religious beliefs. I also know exactly where you guys jump this sort of thing and drive with it. 

47 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Well if you haven't noticed, our country thankfully isn't ruled by the laws, rules, or interpretations of the Bible or any other religious text.  If I wanted to live in a theocracy, I'd move to the Middle East or apply to live full time in the Holy See.

Here's my standard question.  How does a gay couple getting married and living their life affect you on an every day basis?  I'm going to guess it doesn't have one iota of influence on your life.---yes it does. They get marriage breaks on their income taxes same as normal couples. For that reason many get "married for that reason only. Why can't they just call it a civil union rather than marriage?

You should seriously ask these questions of the neighbors you are condemning:

- Are they nice people who treat others with respect?

- Are they law abiding citizens?

- Do they pay their taxes, just like you do?

If the answers are yes, then your opinion of their lifestyle is highly unimportant in the grand scheme.  If you disagree with their lifestyle, fine, let your maker judge them.  But it's not your place or anyone else's to tell them how to live when they are doing so peacefully.

See one comment in red above. As far as the others, I am opposed to gay marriage because of my religious beliefs and what the Bible says. But. I love them as I do any other couple.

Fact.......I have two gay couples living within a very short distance from  me, one across the street. One couple is male and the other is female. I treat and socialize with them as any other neighbors even though I don't approve of their "marriage." as pub says, God will be the judge of that.

An interesting tidbit....one of the females was an All American in two sports at Auburn and has a star on the sidewalk near Toomer's Corner, and also won a gold medal in the Olympics. I enjoy talking to her a lot as well as the guys.

Just now, SaltyTiger said:

I know how it started, who poured fueled with stupid questions, who gave an honest answer based on religious beliefs. I also know exactly where you guys jump this sort of thing and drive with it. 

OK.  Well you keep making assumptions about a conversation and I'll actually reply to and consider what people have written.

1 minute ago, Brad_ATX said:

Well you keep making assumptions

I have not made any assumptions. As long as Pubs beliefs are not interrupting your "day to day" life what do they matter? 

1 minute ago, Proud Tiger said:

See one comment in red above. As far as the others, I am opposed to gay marriage because of my religious beliefs and what the Bible says. But. I love them as I do any other couple.

Fact.......I have two gay couples living within a very short distance from  me, one across the street. One couple is male and the other is female. I treat and socialize with them as any other neighbors even though I don't approve of their "marriage." as pub says, God will be the judge of that.

An interesting tidbit....one of the females was an All American in two sports at Auburn and has a star on the sidewalk near Toomer's Corner, and also won a gold medal in the Olympics. I enjoy talking to her a lot as well as the guys.

I'm honestly glad you socialize with and have gay friends.

To answer your question in red, because they want the same equality as anyone else.  We live in a society that preaches equality under the law.  Calling it a civil union and thus not getting the same advantages as heterosexual couples is the exact opposite of equality.  It's a modern day "seperate but equal" policy.

Just now, SaltyTiger said:

I have not made any assumptions. As long as Pubs beliefs are not interrupting your "day to day" life what do they matter? 

They don't.  But I'm not advocating for outlawing anyone here either.

3 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

I'm honestly glad you socialize with and have gay friends.

To answer your question in red, because they want the same equality as anyone else.  We live in a society that preaches equality under the law.  Calling it a civil union and thus not getting the same advantages as heterosexual couples is the exact opposite of equality.  It's a modern day "seperate but equal" policy.

Guess we just have different opinions. Why not just change the tax law to allow the breaks for a civil union and avoid lots of the controversy

15 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

This conversation started with a discussion about folks like Falwell and showing his folly using direct passages from the Bible to show that yes, poor people can help a ton.  It naturally ventured into another arena.  In fact, I'm pretty sure Pub was the first to bring up homosexuality in the thread with regards to the topic at hand. 

Don't bite. Salty is being intellectually dishonest. He is not this stupid.

I have gay neighbors. In fact, the Jessie O'Dell mentioned in this article is one of them. 

https://www.al.com/news/birmingham/index.ssf/2015/02/jubilant_crowd_cheers_on_first.html

Good folks, he and his partner. They're raising a little boy they adopted.

Just now, AUDub said:

I have gay neighbors. In fact, the Jessie O'Dell mentioned in this article is one of them. 

https://www.al.com/news/birmingham/index.ssf/2015/02/jubilant_crowd_cheers_on_first.html

Good folks, he and his partner. They're raising a little boy they adopted.

He's a sassy SOB (in a good way) though lol.

49 minutes ago, PUB78 said:

B-rad,

Your opinion of homosexuals doesn’t matter either. God will make the final judgement, not you or I.

I think the point is you would criminalize homosexuality. Here, in the good ole USA.

Just now, homersapien said:

BS.

Don't tell me what I think. Who do you think you are, DKW? :glare:

Now Homer. I assume you know in your heart, and if I was a betting person, which I am not, I would put the farm on the table.

31 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Sure it was an honest answer. The problem is that it was theocratic and totally unAmerican.

I don't have a problem with "jumping" theocratic, unAmerican statements. In fact, I consider it my duty as a citizen.

1 minute ago, homersapien said:

Sure it was an honest answer. The problem is that it was theocratic and totally unAmerican.

You have lost it. So an honest answer is now a problem, theocratic, and unAmerican.

29 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

They matter because such thinking - if not opposed  - is far more likely to become an actuality.

I really don't understand your issue with this discussion, unless you also feel homosexuality should be illegal.  That's not the case is it?

38 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

You have lost it. So an honest answer is now a problem, theocratic, and unAmerican.

If that honest answer is to express the belief that homosexuality should be illegal, then YES.  Most definitely.  Absolutely.  It is a theocratic and unAmerican position.

I would feel the same way if someone said that black people have no right to be full citizens and Jim Crow should reinstated as the law of the land. (For example.)

Again, I don't understand your issue with that, unless you feel the same way PUB78 does. 

38 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

Guess we just have different opinions. Why not just change the tax law to allow the breaks for a civil union and avoid lots of the controversy

Why not just get over it and avoid the controversy? 

Like it or not, in our system of government, marriage is a legal term. It's a civil, legal contract.

While you are free to associate whatever religious connotation to it that suits you personally, you don't get to force your religious connotation on to everyone else.

4 minutes ago, homersapien said:

you don't get to force your religious connotation on to everyone else

PT is not trying to force anything on anyone....Geez. he just stated his opinion.

28 minutes ago, PUB78 said:

Now Homer. I assume you know in your heart, and if I was a betting person, which I am not, I would put the farm on the table.

How many acres? 

You are a presumptuous little theocrat.  If you were born in Afghanistan you'd be a happy little Muslim.  Deep down, I think you know that.

1 minute ago, SaltyTiger said:

PT is not trying to force anything on anyone....Geez. he just stated his opinion.

I'm pretty sure the "you" Homer is using here isn't directed at PT, but rather a universal "you" for anyone in our society.

Archived