Here it is

corchjay

The moment everyone has been waiting on.  My complaints of a Gus run Auburn Football team in the current state of 2018.  Please excuse the ramblings if they appear in this post.  

Gus as a head coach -  I think he’s a tremendous ambassador for AU.  A good man and a good coach.  I think he’s a little to introverted to ever be accepted as a true Auburn Man.  I think he’s to reactionary to critics as he seems to want to make people happy.  

Offensive scheme - I love our base offense and scheme.  The complaint about route trees I understand but when the play action is working the deep pass game is devastating.  Only real complaint about pass scheme is on shallow and intermediate crossing routes you need two receivers to put the linebackers in limbo not just one like we see most of the time.  Our pass game has to throw the post or skinny post enough to free up the safeties from just crashing on the deep go or fly routes.  Stidham is the first QB not to throw the post or skinny post so not sure if that’s Gus, Chip, or Stidham moving away from it.  Our offense as far as blocking scheme and passing tree will only be successful when we are able to run the football.  When that is shut down we will struggle but we should be able to run on any team because of our run scheme.  However not making the right read on the zone read and not having a QB that can run the keep 10-15 times a game directly affects our ability to match 7 or 8 in the box.  Just not enough blockers unless you are able to eliminate one or two on the read.  So in my opinion I disagree with everyone else that wants to bring in another “passing” OC.  I say bring in another run OC that maybe has some different alignments and maybe a couple more pass concepts out of those alignments.  

Offensive player usage -  can’t stand the player personnel usage by Gus and the pigeon holing of players to specific plays.  If they are a running back run all running back plays with them... if they are poor at something work around it.  If they are a slot WR they should run all slot routes and speed sweeps regardless if they are the “best” at it.  Stop whole package situations for every 3rd down and every 4th and short.  

Garbage time - please run the entire offense regardless who is on the field in garbage time even if it pisses off the sisters of the poor’s Coaches.  They will enjoy their paycheck just the same.  Just at the friendly handshake before the game just tell the other coach if it gets to a certain situation that you will bring in some young guys to run the full offense.  They will understand because they would like the same opportunity if given.

Game time management - in my opinion Gus is just average here not good or bad.  2 minute offense has been decent in his career.  But time outs and ending the half and games I’d say he’s pretty average at best.  What’s crazy is Chizik was probably the best I’ve ever seen with end of half and end of game time management.  One more thing on time management if we call a fricking time out on first and 10 because we can’t get the call changed to the perfect play I’ll flip my lid.  Just run the frickin original play call take the 2-3 yards and move on to 2nd down.  This goes to the end of game and end of half situations when you only have 1 time out because you tried to get the perfect play called in earlier in the half.

Spring and fall practice - all players unless injured should go full speed and full contact.  We baby to many of the upperclassmen and QBs that they aren’t game speed ready to start the season.  All they have really done is 7v7, normal grouping techniques, a few scrimmage plays, half speed reps, and possibly some thud stuff.  This might be my biggest complaint.  Auburn has always been feared just because of the toll it would take physically on your team when playing us.  Let’s get away from the we gotta get our edge back stuff and just come out with your own players and every other team you play it’s gonna be a war when you play against Auburn.  Sometimes the other team can out scheme you, that what Gus tries to do tries to out scheme other teams and he does a pretty good job most of the time but sometimes when they out flank you you just have to hunker down and say we are just gonna punch you in the mouth over and over until you quit and I’m not talking about run play after run play I’m talking the mentality you impose on your own players that I’m gonna kick the guy I’m assigned to ass all game long.  Yes at a high level scheme and game plan are ultra important but so is desire and physical play which I think was lacking this year especially on offense.  

Overall team - please self scout hire some analyst that are better at it.  Some outside of the program not GA’s trying to get into coaching that played for Gus.  Please be more multiple on defense.  I think Steele has brought a great approach of discipline and accountability to the defense but his defense is way to simple.  Man to man almost every snap. I’m sure no one can scheme against that all they have to worry about is where a blitz may come from.  We’ve all bitched about how predictable our offense is well the defense is 10 times worse.  

Grading - Gus at AU I would give him an overall grade of a solid B... 2018 I would give him a D+.   Inexperience at major positions were more then I thought it would be.  We never had that one player or one group step up to be leaders on and off the field.  The team didn’t quit and that’s a good thing but I saw very little “desire” after the LSU loss.  

7 hours ago, corchjay said:

2018 I would give him a D+.

Fellas this hear is proof that he is a Gus smoocher. Their is no room for this tomfoolery on this bored. Let’s burn him at the steak.

7 hours ago, corchjay said:

The moment everyone has been waiting on.  My complaints of a Gus run Auburn Football team in the current state of 2018.  Please excuse the ramblings if they appear in this post.  

Gus as a head coach -  I think he’s a tremendous ambassador for AU.  A good man and a good coach.  I think he’s a little to introverted to ever be accepted as a true Auburn Man.  I think he’s to reactionary to critics as he seems to want to make people happy.  

Offensive scheme - I love our base offense and scheme.  The complaint about route trees I understand but when the play action is working the deep pass game is devastating.  Only real complaint about pass scheme is on shallow and intermediate crossing routes you need two receivers to put the linebackers in limbo not just one like we see most of the time.  Our pass game has to throw the post or skinny post enough to free up the safeties from just crashing on the deep go or fly routes.  Stidham is the first QB not to throw the post or skinny post so not sure if that’s Gus, Chip, or Stidham moving away from it.  Our offense as far as blocking scheme and passing tree will only be successful when we are able to run the football.  When that is shut down we will struggle but we should be able to run on any team because of our run scheme.  However not making the right read on the zone read and not having a QB that can run the keep 10-15 times a game directly affects our ability to match 7 or 8 in the box.  Just not enough blockers unless you are able to eliminate one or two on the read.  So in my opinion I disagree with everyone else that wants to bring in another “passing” OC.  I say bring in another run OC that maybe has some different alignments and maybe a couple more pass concepts out of those alignments.  

Offensive player usage -  can’t stand the player personnel usage by Gus and the pigeon holing of players to specific plays.  If they are a running back run all running back plays with them... if they are poor at something work around it.  If they are a slot WR they should run all slot routes and speed sweeps regardless if they are the “best” at it.  Stop whole package situations for every 3rd down and every 4th and short.  

Garbage time - please run the entire offense regardless who is on the field in garbage time even if it pisses off the sisters of the poor’s Coaches.  They will enjoy their paycheck just the same.  Just at the friendly handshake before the game just tell the other coach if it gets to a certain situation that you will bring in some young guys to run the full offense.  They will understand because they would like the same opportunity if given.

Game time management - in my opinion Gus is just average here not good or bad.  2 minute offense has been decent in his career.  But time outs and ending the half and games I’d say he’s pretty average at best.  What’s crazy is Chizik was probably the best I’ve ever seen with end of half and end of game time management.  One more thing on time management if we call a fricking time out on first and 10 because we can’t get the call changed to the perfect play I’ll flip my lid.  Just run the frickin original play call take the 2-3 yards and move on to 2nd down.  This goes to the end of game and end of half situations when you only have 1 time out because you tried to get the perfect play called in earlier in the half.

Spring and fall practice - all players unless injured should go full speed and full contact.  We baby to many of the upperclassmen and QBs that they aren’t game speed ready to start the season.  All they have really done is 7v7, normal grouping techniques, a few scrimmage plays, half speed reps, and possibly some thud stuff.  This might be my biggest complaint.  Auburn has always been feared just because of the toll it would take physically on your team when playing us.  Let’s get away from the we gotta get our edge back stuff and just come out with your own players and every other team you play it’s gonna be a war when you play against Auburn.  Sometimes the other team can out scheme you, that what Gus tries to do tries to out scheme other teams and he does a pretty good job most of the time but sometimes when they out flank you you just have to hunker down and say we are just gonna punch you in the mouth over and over until you quit and I’m not talking about run play after run play I’m talking the mentality you impose on your own players that I’m gonna kick the guy I’m assigned to ass all game long.  Yes at a high level scheme and game plan are ultra important but so is desire and physical play which I think was lacking this year especially on offense.  

Overall team - please self scout hire some analyst that are better at it.  Some outside of the program not GA’s trying to get into coaching that played for Gus.  Please be more multiple on defense.  I think Steele has brought a great approach of discipline and accountability to the defense but his defense is way to simple.  Man to man almost every snap. I’m sure no one can scheme against that all they have to worry about is where a blitz may come from.  We’ve all bitched about how predictable our offense is well the defense is 10 times worse.  

Grading - Gus at AU I would give him an overall grade of a solid B... 2018 I would give him a D+.   Inexperience at major positions were more then I thought it would be.  We never had that one player or one group step up to be leaders on and off the field.  The team didn’t quit and that’s a good thing but I saw very little “desire” after the LSU loss.  

I usually do not agree with much you have to say but your assessment and mine are very similar. The only difference is that I think he should be run out of town. Great post though corch. 

WDE

You and I have similar beliefs.  I am not sold on running him out of town...yet.  I am very close however.  This year was a comedy of errors and poor decisions. The SEC in general has been extremely top heavy with bammar and THuga.  A lot of teams in the league lost games that they shouldn't have and won some they weren't supposed to.  I expect a lot more next year or peace out Gus.  I think next year the SEC in general has a lot of turnover.

I agree with your post Corch.  I just feel like Gus is what he is at this point and his demeanor and coaching style will change very little from what we've seen in the past 4-5-6 years.  There will undoubtedly be flashes of great games/plans/player execution every year, the recruiting is too good for us not to see it matriculate to the field.

I also agree specifically on Corch's analysis of the Defense....it has become super predictable and very simplistic.  I feel Kevin has reached his threshold for defensive scheming, I hope I'm wrong because he is the best coach on this staff right now.  But he needs to get with some NFL coaches in the off-season and hone his scheming skills - it will only make him and the team better in the future.

Great assessment. The 'spring and fall practice' criticism is to me the most troubling because I do not think this coaching staff, starting with Gus, can instill the attitude in our players to dominate their opponent. Bama has that down pat for sure.

4 minutes ago, TigerSpider said:

You and I have similar beliefs.  I am not sold on running him out of town...yet.  I am very close however.  This year was a comedy of errors and poor decisions. The SEC in general has been extremely top heavy with bammar and THuga.  A lot of teams in the league lost games that they shouldn't have and won some they weren't supposed to.  I expect a lot more next year or peace out Gus.  I think next year the SEC in general has a lot of turnover.

Where?

Safe (IMO) Odom-Mizz/Morris-Ark/Stoops-UK/Moorehead - MSU/Mullen-UF/Orgeron-LSU (their fans are hot & cold but the Admin are ok with him)

Saban-UAT/Smart-UGA/Fisher-aTm

Will UT can Pruitt with only 2 yrs in?

Will OleMiss be able to hire better than Luke and can Vandy do any better than Mason?

Is USC satisfied with Muschamp at this point?

Gus' contract buyout won't see any measurable reduction next season - when will the AU PTB say enough is enough?

11 minutes ago, ChltteTiger said:

Great assessment. The 'spring and fall practice' criticism is to me the most troubling because I do not think this coaching staff, starting with Gus, can instill the attitude in our players to dominate their opponent. Bama has that down pat for sure.

To instill the attitude you want, there has to be a willingness to coach and train the "mental" part of the game just as hard as you train the physical.  

Good stuff, thanks. Your comments regarding his unique, sometimes introverted demeanor for a head coach of a major program is particularly astute IMO. The good person/ambassador factor you list is so very (and in this day & age almost uniquely) Auburn and I mean that to be complimentary. Shug's foundation on the Plains still runs a mile deep - that great coaches do not have to be dirtbags or Bear-like blowhards. Can you imagine West Vance putting any weight in that? 

20 minutes ago, keesler said:

Where?

Safe (IMO) Odom-Mizz/Morris-Ark/Stoops-UK/Moorehead - MSU/Mullen-UF/Orgeron-LSU (their fans are hot & cold but the Admin are ok with him)

Saban-UAT/Smart-UGA/Fisher-aTm

Will UT can Pruitt with only 2 yrs in?

Will OleMiss be able to hire better than Luke and can Vandy do any better than Mason?

Is USC satisfied with Muschamp at this point?

Gus' contract buyout won't see any measurable reduction next season - when will the AU PTB say enough is enough?

I guess I may have spoken out of turn.  I see your point.  

I don't know when enough is enough. Do you base it on Alabama?  Do you base it on both Alabama and Georgia and the SEC West in general?  

I would compare this season to 2015 not so much in results ,which are about the same, but in letting last year’s success cloud this year’s realistic outlook.  New RBs and a new Oline were over looked somewhat because of what most of us thought Stidham would bring to the table.  Just like 2015 Gus came into the season talking about how good he felt about the team which going forward should be a warning.  I’ve never been to practice so I don’t see what he sees but to not know how bad JJ was and to not know how much trouble this offense line was in to start the season blows my mind a little.  If I’m a coach I’m not thumping my chest if my Oline can’t stop anyone especially in the SEC.  Saban does a great job of pointing out weakness instead of trying to cover it up.  Gus needs to hold more feet to the fire going forward.  More bull crap and less booming at practice.

1 hour ago, keesler said:

I agree with your post Corch.  I just feel like Gus is what he is at this point and his demeanor and coaching style will change very little from what we've seen in the past 4-5-6 years.  There will undoubtedly be flashes of great games/plans/player execution every year, the recruiting is too good for us not to see it matriculate to the field.

I also agree specifically on Corch's analysis of the Defense....it has become super predictable and very simplistic.  I feel Kevin has reached his threshold for defensive scheming, I hope I'm wrong because he is the best coach on this staff right now.  But he needs to get with some NFL coaches in the off-season and hone his scheming skills - it will only make him and the team better in the future.

Brown, Garner, Porter in my opinion are the top 3 coaches.  Steele other then his command in leadership is probably behind Horton as well.  

28 minutes ago, TigerSpider said:

I guess I may have spoken out of turn.  I see your point.  

I don't know when enough is enough. Do you base it on Alabama?  Do you base it on both Alabama and Georgia and the SEC West in general?  

IMO  - NO, you don't base it on the cream of the SEC crop.   

You get to the point where enough is enough when you see your HC have problems winning games vs 1st yr HC's in this conference or programs with lesser talent/facilities/fan support/monetary resources.  It feels like Gus is in a constant struggle and when you see a patter of good not great W-L records over a period of time. 

Auburn has given Football everything it could possibly need to consistently compete at a very high level in this conference.  The excuse bag emptied out after last season - there are simply no excuses for this program averaging 4-5 losses a year. 

1 hour ago, keesler said:

To instill the attitude you want, there has to be a willingness to coach and train the "mental" part of the game just as hard as you train the physical.  

Gus already has a great new attitude.

This just in:

"The goal is to win, period. I don’t want to ever be a program…ever…that doesn’t appreciate winning."

Joking.  That's Dabo.

13 minutes ago, keesler said:

IMO  - NO, you don't base it on the cream of the SEC crop.   

You get to the point where enough is enough when you see your HC have problems winning games vs 1st yr HC's in this conference or programs with lesser talent/facilities/fan support/monetary resources.  It feels like Gus is in a constant struggle and when you see a patter of good not great W-L records over a period of time. 

Auburn has given Football everything it could possibly need to consistently compete at a very high level in this conference.  The excuse bag emptied out after last season - there are simply no excuses for this program averaging 4-5 losses a year. 

Totally agree.  

4 hours ago, ChltteTiger said:

Bama is MEAN.  They play with a hateful edge.  They want to hurt people (not injure, but hurt).  They have no mercy.  They have maximized killer instinct.

In other words, they epitomize their head coach.  And they play exactly like a team is supposed to play.

And I'm afraid our team epitomizes our head coach.  We play soft at times.  Our QB laughs and jokes with our rivals after they've beaten us.  You'd almost think our guys never say anything more harsh than "bullcrap".

Saban drops 500 f-bombs during every game he coaches.  He yells at players for anything they don't do perfectly.  Hell, he yells at babies crying in the front row. 

He demands excellence, and gets it.

Can't agree more Corch.  To add to this we must become unified across all fronts and be 100% committed to a coach.  I have to also point out the lack of development in some key areas with players.  An example would be watching Big Kat and TD engage blockers with nothing more in their arsenal than a bull rush all year.  I understand being coached to stand your ground against running QBs to keep them contained but they have only shown one move regardless of who we are playing.  I could be wrong but after 6 years I just don't see Gus doing the corrective things you mentioned above to get us where we need to be.

1 hour ago, NorthGATiger said:

Can't agree more Corch.  To add to this we must become unified across all fronts and be 100% committed to a coach.  I have to also point out the lack of development in some key areas with players.  An example would be watching Big Kat and TD engage blockers with nothing more in their arsenal than a bull rush all year.  I understand being coached to stand your ground against running QBs to keep them contained but they have only shown one move regardless of who we are playing.  I could be wrong but after 6 years I just don't see Gus doing the corrective things you mentioned above to get us where we need to be.

Gus has already sold AD Greene and probably Leath on the "our team is young" and he'll show them specifics on where some areas improved this season.  He no doubt pointed out to Greene that he needed a big show of public support so that recruiting won't suffer down the road. 

Gus will make an effort take some corrective action and he'll promise again to "turn this thing around" when in reality, I don't know if he knows how he got it turned in the direction it's in today OR how to turn it around next year for the better.  How can you turn something around if you don't know how it got there in the first place?

1 hour ago, KolchakAU85 said:

Bama is MEAN.  They play with a hateful edge.  They want to hurt people (not injure, but hurt).  They have no mercy.  They have maximized killer instinct.

In other words, they epitomize their head coach.  And they play exactly like a team is supposed to play.

And I'm afraid our team epitomizes our head coach.  We play soft at times.  Our QB laughs and jokes with our rivals after they've beaten us.  You'd almost think our guys never say anything more harsh than "bullcrap".

Saban drops 500 f-bombs during every game he coaches.  He yells at players for anything they don't do perfectly.  Hell, he yells at babies crying in the front row. 

He demands excellence, and gets it.

Boom!!

1 hour ago, nixtosanders94 said:

Two things I think sum up why Gus needs to go...1) lost to Tennessee 2) 3-3 against MSU...and just for fun a third one....after six years he has ZERO road wins against our top 3 rivals...ZERO. 

a fourth thing 4} ZERO second half pts in all three UGA games played in Sanford stadium  

I agree 100% with you Corch. It is nice to have actual coaches who love Auburn that post on this site. You and Bigbird and other coaches are excellent resources when it comes to breaking down the game and making it easier to understand for novices like me. I played the game from age 9-17, but that was light years ago and when the wishbone was the cutting edge offensive scheme like the spread is today. I would love to see a team run the wishbone again just for enjoyment sake.

Defenses are much too fast for this type of offense to work in today's football landscape.  I love watching the old Auburn /bammer games in 1982 & 83. Bo was so much fun to watch in the bone. I will never forget the game in 1983 when we played Maryland. I think our fullback, (Agee), ran for over 150 yards that game. That was so much fun to watch him busting it up the middle and eating up their defense. We were national champs in 1983 in my mind and this still eats at me to this day why we did not get awarded the NC. Miami moved from 5th place to NC and we stayed at 3rd place. We were robbed that year no doubt.

6 hours ago, corchjay said:

Brown, Garner, Porter in my opinion are the top 3 coaches.  Steele other then his command in leadership is probably behind Horton as well.  

what is your opinion of T-Will?  I have always liked Garner as a recruiter and coach, but this year's DL was a disappointment to me.

3 minutes ago, TigerPAC said:

what is your opinion of T-Will?  I have always liked Garner as a recruiter and coach, but this year's DL was a disappointment to me.

T-Will very good recruiter.  Solid coach but still learning under Steele.  Steele is his mentor at this point and Steele directs T-Will on fundamentals.  A good mentor but he's got years to go before he will be an elite coach.  

Archived