Josh Moon has some Malzahn info

TitanTiger

2 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

:rolleyes:

I'm cool to agree to disagree.  It's been fun watching you put so much effort in to pushing these stories as gospel.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only discussion should have been, can we keep a coach that quit on his team against our biggest rival?

This was a really simple situation, everyone was given a simple out.

6 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Anyone care to do a BOT look-a-like thread?

Haha I thought the same thing.

4 minutes ago, fredst said:

I think that the apathy is so monumental that it won’t even move the needle. Which is even worse frankly

But wait... I thought bowl games didn't matter? That's sure what was pushed around here after we were made to look like a group of 5 school by powerhouse UCF last season.

2 minutes ago, AURealist said:

I'm cool to agree to disagree.  It's been fun watching you put so much effort in to pushing these stories as gospel.

At some point you just have to realize that when enough reasonable people are saying essentially the same things, minus a few insignificant details or differences, it's time to stop hanging one's hat on "bbbbut it's just RUMORS!"  

2 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

The only discussion should have been, can we keep a coach that quit on his team against our biggest rival?

This was a really simple situation, everyone was given a simple out.

x 1,000. 

Any doubts I had about firing Gus before were gone after I witnessed that disgraceful display of cowardice.

14 hours ago, far_away_fan said:

PM is saying that the assistant coaches are asking for answers on the situation while they are out recruiting. 

Understandable - these guys have a hard sell to push right now.  They're going up against some of the best in the business, they're facing cut-throat rival recruiters this week from the SEC & other conferences as well.

Our coaches sitting in the living room with a glass of iced tea, momma's wanting a guarantee that these men sitting on her sofa who've built a solid relationship with her son for a long time, will actually be at AU for her son's future.  :dunno:

4 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

At some point you just have to realize that when enough reasonable people are saying essentially the same things, minus a few insignificant details or differences, it's time to stop hanging one's hat on "bbbbut it's just RUMORS!"  

It's similar to what is now incorrectly called the wrap-up smear.  Say it until it gets popular and use its popularity to prove its authenticity. 

Who is reasonable?  Unnamed sources?

1 minute ago, keesler said:

Understandable - these guys have a hard sell to push right now.  They're going up against some of the best in the business, they're facing cut-throat rival recruiters this week from the SEC & other conferences as well.

Our coaches sitting in the living room with a glass of iced tea, momma's wanting a guarantee that these men sitting on her sofa who've built a solid relationship with her son for a long time, will actually be at AU for her son's future.  :dunno:

No even if Gus is retained he will be fired next season

10 minutes ago, tigers23 said:

Just fire the assclown and be done with it

Problem is, if they're going to fire him, they need to be able to replace him with someone they know won't be a downgrade. Too much money to take a risk.

You know what's gonna happen? We're going to end up firing Gus. And then instead of hiring a better coach to move forward we're going to have get a John L. Smith type of 1 year bridge until we find our guy next year because we are so toxic right now.

25 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

No I completely agree with you in everything you said. However just because something comes out about Auburn in a negative light doesn't automatically mean the REC is behind it. There are plenty in this very thread who have suggested or outright said THAT VERY THING (that it was a ploy by Bama.) 

Also if Stoops said he was interested in the job it doesn't mean he would already be the coach. The school president is in DC. He would have to be back before anything would happen. I'm not saying Stoops has an ounce of interest. BUT just because he denied having talked to us does NOT mean he hasn't. AND just because he isn't the coach right now does NOT mean he won't be the coach tomorrow. 

Yes it is messy. Yes it hurts recruiting. Yes the timing is TERRIBLE. Like a worst case scenario. 

But it is what it is. 

That doesn't make it a grand conspiracy by Bama to undermine our recruiting. They get the benefit of JABA. THEY don't need to do ANYTHING to make us look any worse than we have made ourselves look.

Where are you getting this bama/REC stuff?

PTB = Powers that be.........those are our guys.

3 minutes ago, AURealist said:

It's similar to what is now incorrectly called the wrap-up smear.  Say it until it gets popular and use its popularity to prove its authenticity. 

Except it's not.

3 minutes ago, AURealist said:

Who is reasonable?  Unnamed sources?

Jay Tate is reasonable.  He doesn't make s*** up and he works hard to corroborate sources and determine what's good information.

Mike Marshall is reasonable.  He loves Auburn and would not do anything to foment further unrest by spreading baseless bull**** from sketchy sources.

There are people here and off the boards that I know and trust who have good inside sources that back up all the essentials of what we're hearing has gone on the last several days.  They aren't just passing along 3rd hand info.  It's not a "wrap-up smear," just people sadly acknowledging the craziness going on in Auburn right now.

"Unnamed sources" is not some catch-all trump card you get to throw out to cast doubt on something.  It reveals a fundamental ignorance of how reporting news gets done.  Expecting people to go on the record in situations like this, or for reporters to burn their sources by naming them is naivety in the extreme.

15 minutes ago, fredst said:

I think that the apathy is so monumental that it won’t even move the needle. Which is even worse frankly

Exactly. Deafening silence and all that. 

Seriously, this week's drama is the first time that our football team has been interesting to me since the Mississippi State game. And just like that, poof, we're right back to stagnant, boring, numbing mediocrity. Nothing has happened. Status quo maintained. Whatever. War Damn Shaun Shivers and Smoke Monday and Company. War Damn Bruce Pearl. War Damnlanta United. 

59 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I assume what you mean is that since Saban has been at bama, we have never gotten a major recruit that he wanted....no matter who our coach has been. 

JMO but as long as Saban is there, that's not gonna change.   

As for Kirby?    Too soon to tell but he is a good recruiter and has natural advantage in the state of Georgia. If I recall, we make a big deal of hiring assistants who are good recruiters.  HCs are often the "closers"...but assistants do the heavy lifting. 

Add Dabo....

10 minutes ago, Tiger said:

You know what's gonna happen? We're going to end up firing Gus. And then instead of hiring a better coach to move forward we're going to have get a John L. Smith type of 1 year bridge until we find our guy next year because we are so toxic right now.

Steele.

I’ve been dogging Gus for years now but I  did say a few weeks back that I didn’t know if getting rid of him this year was the best thing for our program. With the amount of money owed and the pool of coaches to choose from, it might be better to hold onto him for another season.

Now, after the cluster**** that we find ourselves in, how do we keep him and say it’s the best thing for our program? He had lost any shred of credibility he had with recruits and possible assistant coaches. I don’t see any scenario where keeping him around is the best thing for our football program. 

I also mentioned in another thread a week or so ago that I’ve stopped following recruiting as closely as I used to and few in here said don’t look it’ll depress you. My god they were right. In state recruiting is absolutely abysmal. Georgia and LSU are raiding the state and Alabama has one of its best offensive line pulls in years. It’s going to get a lot worse for our program than it is right now.

Just now, AUght2win said:

Steele.

I'd probably rather Rodney Garner take that spot. Steele just got an extension. Aka he's on his downward spiral towards mediocrity. 😂

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Exactly. Deafening silence and all that. 

Seriously, this week's drama is the first time that our football team has been interesting to me since the Mississippi State game. And just like that, poof, we're right back to stagnant, boring, numbing mediocrity. Nothing has happened. Status quo maintained. Whatever. War Damn Shaun Shivers and Smoke Monday and Company. War Damn Bruce Pearl. War Damnlanta United. 

Unfortunately I still care enough to keep checking on this absurd 119 page (and counting) thread, lol. But the last few years of Gus have seriously drained my intensity of interest in AU football. Unfortunately, this kind of incompetence at the top also makes me rethink my donations to COSAM and other worthy areas at the university. I’m not alone in this; whether it makes sense or not it has been shown many times that success in the football program at universities results in increased applications/enrollment, non-athletic donations, etc. That’s why it’s doubly maddening to see this bumbling “management” of this whole affair. It really harms the football program but harms the university as a whole as a result. Very discouraging....

5 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Steele.

True...at least we would see what our staff could do when left to their own devices. Although not an ideal situation at all.

1 hour ago, AuCivilEng1 said:
1 hour ago, AU-HANDLEY-TIGER said:

If Gus coaches the bowl and loses the meltdown will be monumental.

I hadn't even thought about that. My God. This horror!!!

by now you should know that if he coaches it, he WILL lose it

Just now, TitanTiger said:

Except it's not.

Jay Tate is reasonable.  He doesn't make s*** up and he works hard to corroborate sources and determine what's good information.

Mike Marshall is reasonable.  He loves Auburn and would not do anything to foment further unrest by spreading baseless bull**** from sketchy sources.

There are people here and off the boards that I know and trust who have good inside sources that back up all the essentials of what we're hearing has gone on the last several days.  They aren't just passing along 3rd hand info.  It's not a "wrap-up smear," just people sadly acknowledging the craziness going on in Auburn right now.

"Unnamed sources" is not some catch-all trump card you get to throw out to cast doubt on something.  It reveals a fundamental ignorance of how reporting news gets done.  Expecting people to go on the record in situations like this, or for reporters to burn their sources by naming them is naivety in the extreme.

A huge part of the craziness is due to the "leakers" knowing the media and fan base love a sordid tale of intrigue and betrayal.  A change of philosophy to showing a bit less 'suspension of disbelief' would go along way toward curbing the growth and fallout of these 'fiascos'.

I don't really know much about journalism other than taking it as an elective in college.  I did work for an ad agency for years and know a thing or two about PR and propaganda, though.  Stories don't have to be true to be used for good or for evil.   It may be that those 'leaking' the story are truly in the know or are claiming to be in the know or downright lying for their cause.  I don't know.  Does anyone actually know?

The story seems to be that some believe getting rid of Gus is what's best for Auburn.  If this is all really happening, how can those seeking his ousting still think that's best?  Their best course, now that the stories have been "leaked" and become a nightmare, is to back off and deny everything.  Who would possibly come here to coach now if these stories are all proven to be true and Gus is sacked?   If they keep moving forward, their plan seems just as likely to be Gus' friends 'leaking' everything or a bammer plot.   

We can't stop the intrigue from within the castle walls, but we should temper our belief until we're shown something real.

Archived