Josh Moon has some Malzahn info

TitanTiger

1 minute ago, selias said:
1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Gus is not reaching out to any OC's. You can take that one to the bank. 

Who would listen to him anyway lol

So the Freeze experiment is a no-go, regardless?

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Who the heck you talking to to be saying this?! Spill the beans!

I was just summing up the thread in haiku form as asked.  I have zero connections on this one.

Hi all.  I'm a long time lurker, but this topic finally caused me to jump in the deep end.  Last night, I was pretty excited about this news, but now, it seems like it's going to cause more damage than anything.  Fast forward a few weeks from now, and this deal turned out either as "fake news" or flopped, how long does the perceived chaos last?  If Gus makes any staff changes, which he's sure to do, who on earth is going to sign up for a 1 year deal?  Not to mention the negative recruiting impact, and this is no doubt being used by other schools to sway our commits. Does Gus even have the motivation?

This leak has garnered some major attention, and to my knowledge, AU has not addressed it directly, despite saying Gus is the future several days ago.  How/when will AU address this and if the so-called talks flop and Gus stays, how do we save face?

This has probably been asked every way possible here, but hey.  The topic isn't going away anytime soon.

Always enjoyed everyone's insight here!

1 minute ago, Weagle Beagle said:

Hi all.  I'm a long time lurker, but this topic finally caused me to jump in the deep end.  Last night, I was pretty excited about this news, but now, it seems like it's going to cause more damage than anything.  Fast forward a few weeks from now, and this deal turned out either as "fake news" or flopped, how long does the perceived chaos last?  If Gus makes any staff changes, which he's sure to do, who on earth is going to sign up for a 1 year deal?  Not to mention the negative recruiting impact, and this is no doubt being used by other schools to sway our commits. Does Gus even have the motivation?

This leak has garnered some major attention, and to my knowledge, AU has not addressed it directly, despite saying Gus is the future several days ago.  How/when will AU address this and if the so-called talks flop and Gus stays, how do we save face?

This has probably been asked every way possible here, but hey.  The topic isn't going away anytime soon.

Welcome ! And yes , it would be unwise for any OC to come now knowing behind the scenes, the money makers are doing everything possible to end Gus. This seems to be the only consistent consensus between the insiders.

1 minute ago, Weagle Beagle said:

The main thing that keeps this hope alive in my mind is the fact that no AU reps have rushed to deny it.  At least not that I'm aware.

45 minutes ago, AUTiger25 said:

I would probably throw Kirby Smart in that mix as not leaving.

But that isn’t a big name. He may end up being one, but he appeared in a NC game and lost his first year. Sound familiar? 

(Not comparing the two, just saying cool the jets on putting him up there with the others mentioned)

15 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

This isn't about Saban to me.  The best coaches in the country having losing records to Saban.  This is about our continued mediocrity as a whole.  Losing to LSU and UGA consistently.  Being 3-3 with Mississippi Freaking State over the last six years.   Losing to an awful Tennessee team.  Being .500 against Power 5 teams since the Kick 6.  Get me someone who can fix all of this other stuff and I'll worry about Saban come November each year.

And the lack of a program.  Each year is a toss up. There is no guiding principle, no foundation, no direction, no focus, and no identity. We don't have a football program. Each year is unknown. We never seem to build or develop towards the future.

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

And the lack of a program.  Each year is a toss up. There is no guiding principle, no foundation, no direction, no focus, and no identity. We don't have a football program. Each year is unknown. We never seem to build or develop towards the future.

^^^^THIS^^^^^  1000x This!!

1 hour ago, Win4AU said:

If Auburn flew to Oklahoma to meet a coach I hope it’s Lincoln Riley and Not Gundy.  

Gus met with Leath this morning per PMarsh.  The end may be near or not.

That's interesting...I thought he was out recruiting.

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Agree 100%. We have individual teams that can be great at times. We do not have a great program - one that has a good core of coaches, recruiters, practice habits, etc that will last year after year...

4 minutes ago, bigbird said:

No more likes for me but totally agree. Which is why I always argued that a priority for me was someone who can build a program. It’s even better if they built something out of nothing .

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

This.

We just want consistency and need to define what Auburn football is in the CFP era. Recruit kids that fit our identity, get a better strength and conditioning program, fast track some facilities to keep up in the arms race, and let's get some daggum consistency.

I think some of us discussed this in another thread but our expectation should always be 9 wins at a minimum. We should never be wondering whether or not we'll make a bowl game.

4 minutes ago, kwagoner said:

But that isn’t a big name. He may end up being one, but he appeared in a NC game and lost his first year. Sound familiar? 

(Not comparing the two, just saying cool the jets on putting him up there with the others mentioned)

He's also been to the SEC championship game two years in a row... And he's set to go to the playoffs again with a win. That's rare company. 

1 minute ago, kwagoner said:

Yeah, Georgia with Smart is on the same path as Auburn started with Gus several years ago:

Step 1: Get to the championship game first year, but lose to a team you should have beaten.

Step 2: Haul in a good recruiting class.  Everything looks great.

Step 3: Regress the following year.

Step 4: Repeat step #3 five or six times.

Georgia is currently on step 3, so their reality hasn't hit them yet..

10 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

I was just summing up the thread in haiku form as asked.  I have zero connections on this one.

giphy.gif

30 minutes ago, VAtiger12 said:

I think it really depends on what our powers see as the way forward. Bill Clark would be excellent to build on for a few years if we think Saban has maybe 3-4 years left. I'm not saying we should totally base our future off Saban but realistically a coach will have a much better time once he is gone. If we think Saban is there for another 7-10 years then we have to go get a Top 5-10 guy, pay him like a top 2-3 guy and then tell him to go kick Saban in the teeth. 

I don't care either way really. I'll always support Auburn and I'm young enough to be okay with holding out for a few years. But the older, big money guys probably need to make a decision one way or the other. 

Problem as I see it is that Clark has no impact at all, zero, outside of the state of Alabama....and maybe only in the part of Alabama north of Montgomery does anyone know who he is.    Better to hire Neal Brown from Troy who has beaten a couple serous Div 1 teams and got a nice write-up in Sports Illustrated for the win over Nebraska and their new golden boy coach. .   

So AU is gonna fire Gus and pay three fortunes to close him out and hire a guy than nobody every heard of....and I am talking recruits too?     JMO but that's insane...like when we hired little Bowden back in the day.  

And one other thought …most of the local guys like Clark recruit well but they don't have to recruit against Bama or Auburn or Georgia and other SEC powers ...much easier to recruit as a UAB sized school and take guys the Power 5 are not interested in.  The idea that because they can recruit well against Group of Six schools or such means nothing when it comes to recruiting against the machines in the SEC.....JMO

1 minute ago, KolchakAU85 said:

Yeah, Georgia with Smart is on the same path as Auburn started with Gus several years ago:

Step 1: Get to the championship game first year, but lose to a team you should have beaten.

UGA is on more of Saban's path.  They made the title game in the 2nd year, not the first.  Kirby, like Saban, went 7-6 in year one.  Things got rolling in year two.

And things aren't regressing over there.  They just finished an 11-1 season for the 2nd straight year.

2 minutes ago, JMassie11 said:

With the timing of  the signing period now I’d expect us to have an answer by Saturday no later than Sunday on everything.

Kelly B is going to announce his new team on Dec 4th.

2 minutes ago, KolchakAU85 said:

UGA is going back to another SEC championship game tbh...if they win by some sort of Godly Intervention they will be in the playoffs. Still early for Kirby but they don’t seem to have the same trajectory that we did.

Archived