Josh Moon has some Malzahn info

TitanTiger

9 minutes ago, DAG said:

You know what I believe though? Even though Sexton negotiated this for Gus, I have to imagine he probably warned  him of the consequences of such desire. You better win sir or crap will hit the fan.

That would hit Gus right in his blind spot, though.  He's developed perfect plays, so how could he possibly not win?

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, meh130 said:

I have not kept up on the drama, but I recall Brandon Marcello saying AU was playing hardball with CGM when CGM asked AU for money to pay buyouts on the assistants he wanted to fire.

Personally, I would tell Gus he either would have to pay those buyouts out of his checkbook, or if he wanted the Bank of AU to foot the bill, it would cost him his current contract, which would have to be renegotiated as part of the deal. I would not go too far with the renegotiation, but the guarantee would drop, and the 50% in 30 days would be completely gone. Perhaps 50% in the first year, but no way 50% in the first 30 days.

Don't like that? We gave you everything you asked for. We gave you the assistants you wanted at the salaries and contracts they asked for. You have to make it work.

Funny reading all this stuff because for many years the prevailing sentiment on this site is to hire a HC and give him unlimited power to hire anyone he wants to his staff and let him run the program unencumbered by PTBs.    That all sounds great...... right up to the point that we don't like the coach any longer and are trying to get out from under the agreement that we agreed to.   I think it was Josh who used the words "weasel out" ….which sounds about right. 

52 minutes ago, fasttimes said:

to me, it sounds like more and more the PTB want it to be known that "Auburn" wants Gus gone. maybe meetings have be held with someone, maybe not, it doens't matter. the important thing to them is for it to be known "Auburn" is looking at other people. my guess is the logic there is that Gus would not feel wanted or know that no matter what, he is gone after next year a a minimum and he might choose to leave on his own. I know, I know, the free money he will give up. i think it is a huge risk, but it seems like that is more likely what is going on here than Bob stoops wants to come coach here.

I believe this is the play right now to be honest.

Also, I am worried this is doing damage to our recruiting class.  It's a dangerous game being played right now.

2 minutes ago, Beaker said:

Also, I am worried this is doing damage to our recruiting class.  It's a dangerous game being played right now.

IMO only way to save recruiting is to go ahead and cut ties with Gus.  If he comes back next year hes more then likely going to get fired at the end of the year.  Next year will be ugly with a coach that no one wants and 0 experience at the QB position.  Not to mention losing a ton of guys on defensive side.

i really can't imagine anything being worse for our recruiting class than watch us play this year. and honestly what does it matter. Gus has not done ANYTHING with the top recruits we have currently.

15 minutes ago, Beaker said:

IMO, The recruiting class is on the rocks regardless of this outcome. If I was a top recruit, I would no longer consider AU.

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

And the lack of a program.  Each year is a toss up. There is no guiding principle, no foundation, no direction, no focus, and no identity. We don't have a football program. Each year is unknown. We never seem to build or develop towards the future.

And the execution and messaging if a JuCo/trasnfer comes in to take a spot on the team is done very poorly. I know from conversations that the way Gus discarded QBs on the team for Stidham did not leave a good taste in their mouth. Player development is nonexistent at the moment, especially QBs, and the way Gus gave away the starting position to Stidham before really competing for the job made some of the people in the know (or heck maybe they aren't as much as they think) lose respect for him.  Now we see the same band-aid fix coming in possibly with Kelly. There is no consistency in the program at the moment, and the people I talked with don't like the direction the program continues to travel.

42 minutes ago, AUB1974 said:

I remember in mid to late 80s.  Bill Curry was UA coach, had lost twice or 3 times consecutively to AU.  Joab Thomas was president at UAT.  He came out with statement fully supporting Coach Curry.  Headlines in Birmingham News at the time from a UA Trustee said, Someone should tell Dr. Thomas that it is as easy to fire the university president as it is to fire the football coach.  Not as far fetched as you think.  And Curry was gone as I recall. (not sure about Joab Thomas -- think he came around).

I'm not saying it's far fetched to fire Leath.  I'm saying it's crazy has hell to fire Leath, hire a new President and have the new President fire the damn football coach.  That's what Moon's article this morning alluded to and that's why I responded in kind.  This is wacky stuff.

Something is going to happen. Things are too quiet right now. Chip isn't gone, the University isn't denying that Malzahn is out the door, flights to Norman,OK. I think at this point it's safe to assume that Gus Malzahn's job isn't safe at all right now.

1 hour ago, fasttimes said:

to me, it sounds like more and more the PTB want it to be known that "Auburn" wants Gus gone. maybe meetings have be held with someone, maybe not, it doens't matter. the important thing to them is for it to be known "Auburn" is looking at other people. my guess is the logic there is that Gus would not feel wanted or know that no matter what, he is gone after next year a a minimum and he might choose to leave on his own. I know, I know, the free money he will give up. i think it is a huge risk, but it seems like that is more likely what is going on here than Bob stoops wants to come coach here.

That's a part of it, any way you slice this.  

But maybe it's not so much the entire PTB group causing a stir, but just one or a few, not trying to influence Malzahn to quit, but to build a groundswell of support for his ouster among the fans, boosters and other PTB members.

Hard to know, really.  

Occam says Gus stays and sucks next season.

1 minute ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Something is going to happen. Things are too quiet right now. Chip isn't gone, the University isn't denying that Malzahn is out the door, flights to Norman,OK. I think at this point it's safe to assume that Gus Malzahn's job isn't safe at all right now.

You are right sir! The more time that passes without AU comment the more likely something is up!

12 minutes ago, keesler said:

I'm not saying it's far fetched to fire Leath.  I'm saying it's crazy has hell to fire Leath, hire a new President and have the new President fire the damn football coach.  That's what Moon's article this morning alluded to and that's why I responded in kind.  This is wacky stuff.

Exactly.. I asked earlier who can fire Leath? Whoever that is needs to fire him and allow the AD to take care of the coaching situation. No need to bring in a new President to do that. Wild and Wacky stuff for sure. 

1 hour ago, AUsince72 said:

C'mon y'all.

Much like Gus' current Offense, it's a classic Auburn version of..... Misdirection....

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Omg, that is a perfect representation of what D coordinators see with our offense.  Nice Gif!

Just now, AUBwins said:

Omg, that is a perfect representation of what D coordinators see with our offense.  Nice Gif!

And that’s literally Gus’ reaction afterwards lol

15 minutes ago, Tiger said:

How awkward will everything be if Gus is not fired??? Yikes

Yeah, and the poor guy on the left would be us fans...

f06fb39f1f759a52c63a3b76b0569f0b.gif

12 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Doesn't Stoops live in Florida?

1 hour ago, AuMarine said:

Let me get this straight (too much to read in this thread)..  Leath is digging in and doubling down on Gus. He doesn't want to fire him. The PTB and money men want Gus gone. Greene is just caught in the middle at this point.  My question is: Who has the power to fire Leath? And why haven't they pulled the trigger already? 

That’s how we got in trouble before w SACS...letting athletics wag the dog.

Archived