Josh Moon has some Malzahn info

TitanTiger

Just now, Tiger said:

**** Leath. He effectively just put us on probation. This is going to bite us BIG TIME in 3-4 years and our inevitable next coach is going to have to deal with it. Unbelievable.

Absolutely  he did.  I am so upset right now that I am at a loss for words.  This will set Auburn back behind Ole Miss and MSU.  Hello Arkansas our new buddy and fellow bottom dweller of the SEC.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, tgrogan21 said:

What if Malzahn has another offer somewhere else but his buyout was too much for the other school to pay, so he's having to renegotiate so he can leave Auburn without being fired? And yes, I'm just looking for any kind of positive, atm.

Yeah, thats reaching lol

6 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

Just Auburn Being Auburn

In that spirit, I’m calling this now...we win the SEC West next year, the Hogs go winless, and we extend Gus with a lifetime contract and a $1 Billion buy out. Based on reports that Gus wants to go back to the mother land  

Mark it down. 

2 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Are we just trying to neuter him and trying to get him to walk on his own? We are now looking like a joke.

I think you've hit the nail on the head. Cut off his resources and make him uncomfortable. 

31 minutes ago, shabby said:

Stoops denial seems very definite. Others seem to think that he didn't totally close the door to it or that this is just part of the process. I hope those people are correct. I however am very doubtful of that. It is strange though that it has been so quiet. At the very least I would have expected some news on position coaches and coordinators but... nothing. something is up. Real considerations are occurring in regards to Malzahn;'s future. I want him gone. period. I would love for it to be Stoops to step in. I'm just not getting my hopes up. On a side note, where is the notion that DABO could come to Auburn coming from. Is it all a joke?

I just cannot fathom Dabo coming to Auburn..other than to beat us again sometime..I am positive that underneath his Clemson Orange and Blue he wears each week is a favorite "Alabama" T-shirt. That is just not reasonable. JMO

Just now, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Money is not the object . That has already been taken care of. This is all about Leath saving face. Either Gus takes a no win situation and leaves next year for a lot less money or he faces the music now. Leath is betting that Gus will take some other job with a trade off of less buyout .

Where is the proof of this? How is Leath saving face? Based on what I just read Harbert was part of the negotiations for the extension - maybe he is saving face. Apparentlty Leath/Green/Harbert (biggest checkbook) want to keep Gus, and the others just don’t have the pull they may have thought. 

1 minute ago, atl-tiger said:

Yeah, thats reaching lol

I would rather think that's the truth rather than the alternative. That we are getting stuck with a lame duck coach for another year. I have never heard of anything so stupid.

1 minute ago, PoetTiger said:

Where is the proof of this? How is Leath saving face? Based on what I just read Harbert was part of the negotiations for the extension - maybe he is saving face. Apparentlty Leath/Green/Harbert (biggest checkbook) want to keep Gus, and the others just don’t have the pull they may have thought. 

How do you get that. They are telling him if he stays his contract goes down ( less money) he can’t hire a new coach unless it’s for the same or less money. Another words you have to be sucessful with what you have for less money for yourself. Does that sound to you like they want to keep him ?

11 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

He's a dud. Can't even do the basics of the job. I'm done with this group of losers running Auburn  

Can’t do a job they won’t let you do.

Just now, Eagle Eye 7 said:

How do you get that. They are telling him if he stays his contract goes down ( less money) he can’t hire a new coach unless it’s for the same or less money. Another words you have to be sucessful with what you have for less money for yourself. Does that sound to you like they want to keep him ?

This whole thing doesn't make sense. They can't tell him anything. He has the contract. He can just force the termination and get the whole buy out. Why would he agree to all of this? It doesn't benefit him at all.

1 minute ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Yes it sounds like they wanna keep him this year, save money and fire him later. If they want him gone today then cut the check. 

3 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Also,why are we believing the same fools who were telling us Stoops was coming to Auburn, less that 24 hours ago? 

I still think everything they said yesterday fits. They did talk to Stoops reps. They did give Gus a take it or leave it option. I still think that before this week is done Gus is gone either by his choice or AU’s

9 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

You have an AD in an absolutely no win situation for him.  The President of the University has every reason to want to keep Gus, since he's the one who negotiated this thing.  He can also override any decision Green makes.  Green didn't make this hire or give out the extension and really holds little to no leverage here.  Best thing he can do is stay on the good side of the boosters so that when it's officially time to get a new coach, he will have full autonomy and the backing of power folks.

Exactly. The president and the head football coach are tied at the hip. This is not a situation unique to Auburn. It’s the case at major colleges all over the country. 

I'm going Nucking Futs!  This keeping Gus with no staff changes is the worst outcome that could possibly happen and even I didn't think we could screw it up this bad.  Jet Gate was nothing compared to this.

I'm on the Gus Bus! Let's roll. We will have another 10+ win season next year and all of this talk will go away again. I think Gus being willing to negotiate a lesser buyout if he sucks next year will make him take a different approach to the gig.. maybe become that CEO and let the OC run. I look at Chip's past and he has never had an offense perform like this year so it can only get better. 

32 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

There are two things I noticed about his statement:

1.  He said he hadn't talked to Auburn but didn't say, "and no one who represents me talked to anyone from Auburn."  And that language matters.

2.  He didn't shoot down the notion of going back into coaching.  He didn't say "I'm staying retired."

Now none of that means he's coming or a deal will get done.  But it does seem rather carefully phrased.

I actually noticed four more things about his statement when he said:

1.  Foolish speculation

2.  Has no basis to it

3.  "Seriously?  When are y'all gonna get it?  You just listen to things that aren't true, that's what this is."

4.  Ridiculous

5.  "People reporting rumors that are totally clueless & just made up news that isn't true."

Well, that's five more carefully phrased things he said.

Overall though I agree, he never came out and said "I'm staying retired".....so there really is a chance he's coming to the Plains.:cool:

1 minute ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

This whole thing doesn't make sense. They can't tell him anything. He has the contract. He can just force the termination and get the whole buy out. Why would he agree to all of this? It doesn't benefit him at all.

He has the contract that can be litigated in court for sometime. Changes could be done. It’s a gamble. Sure Gus is in a good place to get his money just might not be timely.

It seems to me the guy with the biggest checkbook wants Gus to stay. I mean how damn hard is it to fire someone, especially if everyone says the money is not an issue. Fire him and move on or stop with all this foolishness. 

Just now, Harp_AU2013 said:

I'm on the Gus Bus! Let's roll. We will have another 10+ win season next year and all of this talk will go away again. I think Gus being willing to negotiate a lesser buyout if he sucks next year will make him take a different approach to the gig.. maybe become that CEO and let the OC run. I look at Chip's past and he has never had an offense perform like this year so it can only get better. 

My man. Let's do it. 

what leverage could Auburn possibly have to make Gus take a new or amended contract?  It's like, "give us some money back when we fire you at some point in the future."

This still doesn't sound like the full story.

Also, there won't be an agreement to let Chip run the O.   Impractical.   You think a HC won't have input?   That's dumb.     

I think there is a lot more to come out.   Not saying Gus is staying or going, but this doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

1 minute ago, keesler said:

I actually noticed four more things about his statement when he said:

1.  Foolish speculation

2.  Has no basis to it

3.  "Seriously?  When are y'all gonna get it?  You just listen to things that aren't true, that's what this is."

4.  Ridiculous

5.  "People reporting rumors that are totally clueless & just made up news that isn't true."

Well, that's five more carefully phrased things he said.

Overall though I agree, he never came out and said "I'm staying retired".....so there really is a chance he's coming to the Plains.:cool:

Or posted up waiting to see what happens with Urban @ tOSU

12 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

In other words, they won't pay a buyout.  So it effectively ends the discussion of changes unless the coach in question doesn't have a buyout or the new coach coming in is willing to work for free.

Still alot of wiggle room.  Freeze has no buy out.  Does reduced buyout factor in?  Let non guarantees go and shuffle titles to make room.  Only makes sense as an admin punishment or slap of control.

Archived