Josh Moon has some Malzahn info

TitanTiger

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, aujeff11 said:

I’m just going by the Marcello report. And to be fair to Gus, it’s not like he hasn’t been close twice. 

Not critiquing your post so much as what the ridiculous mindset of the leadership is. Hey, I'm not 'against' Gus; I'm for moving on, however. Those two years you cite are 1/3 of the Malzahn pie. The other 2/3rds are underachievement.  Couple that with his mind-boggling stubbornness and inability to run his own offense...yes, it's time to move on.

20 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

All our National Prominence is doing is exposing him as a hack. He needs to be coaching somewhere where his goofy offense works and he doesn't look so silly. Also he must be somewhat of a masochist to STILL want to be here, at this point.

I don't disagree.  But the fact is, if we really want him gone, pay him right now.  The problem goes away.  This game of chicken we are playing with him is beyond stupid.

1 minute ago, Brad_ATX said:

I don't disagree.  But the fact is, if we really want him gone, pay him right now.  The problem goes away.  This game of chicken we are playing with him is beyond stupid.

Agreed. It's killing the football program.

20 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

We can make his time here helluva lot more uncomfortable.  

The PTB didn’t plan on Gus sticking around once we took away a chunk of his buyout. The PTB can now fire him after next season with a significant chunk of tbe buyout accounted for. The PTB doesn’t look all that bad in letting Gus stay. They are telling Gus if you think you have NC hopes here, prove it. However, if you’re going to continue here, your protection is gone.

I understand their plan.  I'm saying it's an idiotic one.  This passive-aggressive BS is not something grown ass adults need to be doing.  It's the kind of thing that has consistently kept Auburn from taking the next step as a program.  Goes back years.

9 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

I don’t disagree that I want to move on from Malzahn but can we afford that? Didn’t I read that our donors wanted to hold out until we had a strong coach locked in? 

Just now, aujeff11 said:

I don’t disagree that I want to move on from  Malzahn but can we afford that? Didn’t I read that our donors wanted to hold out until we had a strong coach locked in? 

The money is there.  Wanting a strong coach locked in makes sense, but the way we're going about this whole thing is foolish.  Elite programs don't do this crap.  They may make bad hires, but this is another level of dumb.

1 minute ago, Brad_ATX said:

I understand their plan.  I'm saying it's an idiotic one.  This passive-aggressive BS is not something grown ass adults need to be doing.  It's the kind of thing that has consistently kept Auburn from taking the next step as a program.  Goes back years.

All I’m saying is there has to be a reason for us playing chicken.

2 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

All I’m saying is there has to be a reason for us playing chicken.

It's money.  Pure and simple.  But if you don't want to pay the full buyout, go to court over it.  The TUF thing may have legs.  Negotiate an out of court settlement and move on.

4 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

The money is there.  Wanting a strong coach locked in makes sense, but the way we're going about this whole thing is foolish.  Elite programs don't do this crap.  They may make bad hires, but this is another level of dumb.

I think the money is completely there but since CGM surprisingly agreed to this rumored deal the money guys would rather wait it out. It’s not my money. Only my excitement for next year’s football team waning.

My only thing is this , if you make the crowd wait a year, you better be ready with a great candidate or else this will be a greater failure. To me a Bill Clark would’ve been just fine , but since you dangled higher in front of the masses and chose to go this route, you now are essentially saying you have a year to get a homerun candidate.

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

I think the money is completely there but since CGM surprisingly agreed to this rumored deal the money guys would rather wait it out. It’s not my money. Only my excitement for next year’s football team waning.

This seems likely. 

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

My only thing is this , if you make the crowd wait a year, you better be ready with a great candidate or else this will be a greater failure. To me a Bill Clark would’ve been just fine , but since you dangled higher in front of the masses and chose to go this route, you now are essentially saying you have a year to get a homerun candidate.

Oh they'll strut out some washed up hack of a coach with a questionable . You can be sure of that. 

2 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Oh they'll strut out some washed up hack of a coach with a questionable . You can be sure of that. 

I doubt it.  Historically, we give guys their big shot.  Never really gone the retread route.

56 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

All our National Prominence is doing is exposing him as a hack. He needs to be coaching somewhere where his goofy offense works and he doesn't look so silly. Also he must be somewhat of a masochist to STILL want to be here, at this point.

The problem is, Gus doesn't see it that way.  He really thinks he's just 2 or 3 players away from being back in the thick of the SEC race.  Bryan Matthews from the Rivals site even went down a list of holes on the roster that need to be filled for Auburn to be competitive with Alabama and Georgia again - multiple offensive linemen, at least a couple of SEC caliber running backs, quarterback (since Stidham is all but gone), a elite pass rusher off the edge and Gus basically said he doesn't believe we need that many.  He thinks we're right on the cusp.

And maybe we are if we hit it big at a couple of slots and everything comes together.  But this is part of the problem with Gus.  He seems to think in terms of plugging a hole year to year and making a run and doesn't seem to build a solid foundation to compete for multiple years.  And since his talent evaluation is shaky at best, it's feast or famine.  Hit on a great one like Nick Marshall and you make a magical run.  But if you don't find that guy it's back to mediocrity.

7 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

The problem is, Gus doesn't see it that way.  He really thinks he's just 2 or 3 players away from being back in the thick of the SEC race.  Bryan Matthews from the Rivals site even went down a list of holes on the roster that need to be filled for Auburn to be competitive with Alabama and Georgia again - multiple offensive linemen, at least a couple of SEC caliber running backs, quarterback (since Stidham is all but gone), a elite pass rusher off the edge and Gus basically said he doesn't believe we need that many.  He thinks we're right on the cusp.

And maybe we are if we hit it big at a couple of slots and everything comes together.  But this is part of the problem with Gus.  He seems to think in terms of plugging a hole year to year and making a run and doesn't seem to build a solid foundation to compete for multiple years.  And since his talent evaluation is shaky at best, it's feast or famine.  Hit on a great one like Nick Marshall and you make a magical run.  But if you don't find that guy it's back to mediocrity.

Couldn't agree more. His talent evaluation is def a huge problem. But it doesn't help when you don't have any coach up coaches on the offensive side up the ball. At least at the WR and QB position. Gus is just trying to get by year to year. Live to fight another day. Also, his idea of success is less than his SEC peers. That's a fact. 

23 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

I doubt it.  Historically, we give guys their big shot.  Never really gone the retread route.

That's old Auburn man! We have a woke AD now. We're moving to the other side of the spectrum! 

59 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Agreed. Apparently Leath is proof of the Peter Principal. Its so Auburn to hire a clown like him.

4 minutes ago, Timbeaux38 said:

It went out there yesterday- Looks like it is going to Nashville this evening.

image.png

So it's between Lincoln Riley and Derrick Mason. 😂😂. Let's do this! All in baby!

33 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Gus is a small time coach and thinks like one. He looks for tricks and shortcuts instead of building a solid foundation. This is what his scheme was all about. He used built-in substitution advantages over the defense with his no huddle offense. Once those advantages were removed, our "Auburn Fast" went the way of the dodo. He wrote a book. He thinks he has the game figured out and he doesn't. So lacking talent and depth on the offensive line? The scheme has an answer, we just don't execute. Have completely predictable and limited passing routes? If it works in theory, it should always work...so execution again. Feeding the ball 30 times between the tackles to a 180 pound RB? It should work, just bad execution. 

Gus needs to be in the Sunbelt at best. He can't handle the talent and coaching that the SEC has. 

If the head coach wants to fire or replace an assistant coach, he has to pay for their buyout?? If true, has this ever happened before in the history of the NCAA?

11 hours ago, ellitor said:

It's $32 mil til after next season I'm pretty sure. At least that was before the recent supposed renegotiations.

Put me in the very skeptical group that this reduced buyout is even a real thing:

1) The university hasn't made a statement

2) Undercover 247 was the one who started it.

Until I see this being reported by more prominent sources, this whole episode is hard to believe. Gus is forfeting multi-millions just to work at Auburn? Give me a break. When it starts running on ESPN, CBS, FoxSports etc, then I'll believe this.  Honestly, this has a very shady feel to it. Like someone is trying to mess with our recruiting class. 

Archived