Josh Moon has some Malzahn info

TitanTiger

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

After listening to that, my guess is this is going one of two ways:

1.  Auburn guys who want to replace Gus with a "homerun hire" get their man and Auburn pays a substantial amount of the buyout to send him on his way.

2. Auburn realizes it's stuck with Gus and firing him to hire a Jeff Brohm is untenable after floating the likes of Bob Stoops out there.  But the demands they put out there to get him to leave of his own accord they now realize hurt Auburn more than anyone.  You need to build the football facility.  You can't hamstring him from fixing the offensive side of things.  So a restructured deal will be announced that reduces the buyout significantly, but they back down on the more onerous stuff so he can go get some new offensive coaches.

I just can't see it happening any other way at this point. 

I think you’re right on this. But, whichever it’s going to be, needs to be decided and move forward. Dangling in the wind isn’t helping.

4 minutes ago, EagleEye67 said:

Does Leath know enough about SEC football to know what he wants?

touche.gif

Lol Gus is the girlfriend that you are trying to break up with but is willing to let you sleep with other women just to remain in the relationship

4 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Lol Gus is the girlfriend that you are trying to break up with but is willing to let you sleep with other women just to remain in the relationship

Yup, and when you can't find another woman for the night you can always settle for him.

Please let this nightmare end and just get rid of the man and get someone else in i don’t care if it’s Neal brown, Venables, Brohm, Beamer, stoops, or John Madden. Waiting a year will put us in Tennessee like conditions... and that puts the whole university back.

#MakeAuburnFootballGreatAgain 

1 hour ago, TitanTiger said:

There are a few things at play here that I don't think you're grasping.  

First, Gus is not primarily motivated by money.  The money was just a means to an end and that end was job security.  It was merely a tool that he felt would keep the wolves at bay and stop the negative recruiting being used against us saying he was on the hot seat.

Second, Gus is not in a position of strength right now.  Last year he had Arkansas coming after him.  But after dropping the turd he did this season, there is no other big offer out there.  If he leaves Auburn, it will be to take a significant step down.  Texas Tech might be the best he could hope to get and he knows that no job he could get at this point will afford him the same chance to win at the highest levels than the one he has right now.

Third, Gus is very stubborn and prideful.  He doesn't want to go out having failed and he's hellbent on the belief that he can fix this and prove everyone wrong who doubts him.  Taking a lower tier job like Texas Tech, Louisville, Purdue, etc would be failure to him.  

Finally, these "small time outlets" are far more connected to people on the inside at Auburn than anyone at CBS, ESPN or other national outlets would be.  These guys have been covering Auburn for years, even decades in some cases.  Dismissing it because it's not plastered on ESPN yet is completely assbackwards when it comes to stuff like this. 

He already has plenty of money.  And even accepting a reduced buyout, he'd have plenty of money.  He's not a guy who lives ostentatiously.  He can have the same satisfying standard of living on a $12-16 million buyout that he can have on $32M.  A guy can only spend so much money in his life, particularly if getting more "things" isn't really a big motivator for him.

I said similar things about Gus 2 weeks ago, but people were arguing that Gus was all about the $$$$.

4 minutes ago, triangletiger said:

I said similar things about Gus 2 weeks ago, but people were arguing that Gus was all about the $$$$.

In truth, I'd say Gus' motivation to stay on the job is not money, and though he loves Auburn, it's not his love for Auburn, either.  It's that he's determined to be "13 seconds better".  He suspects his last best hope to win a national championship is here at Auburn.  If having his hands tied and taking a pay cut is what it takes to continue on his quest, then so be it.  The PTB should have at least suspected this truth before attempting their stupid scheme.

12 minutes ago, triangletiger said:

said similar things about Gus 2 weeks ago, but people were arguing that Gus was all about the $$$$.

Gotta understand that people on here psychoanalyzing Gus have never met him and have no basis for their assessment of his personality, how he gets along with people, what his value system is or anything of the sort.   They just pass along what they hear or read somewhere else.  …..stuff that often does not even rise to the level of "rumor" in terms of accuracy.  So if one view (money driven) does not seem to hold up, it's time to change to another …."money means nothing".  

So honestly if we don't do something soon our class is going to fall apart.... This is insanity. Even if he stays under these circumstances.... How's do we get any recruits next year?  We were in position to sign a top ten class at worst.... And yes I know there are still holes in the class at RB and OL.... But can we afford to lose any of the commits we have? We need pappoe because we are going to rely on him next year ... We have Britt, McClain, Wooten.... Who the at lb? 

Nix is Auburn through and through

Pickens.... Never was sold he would stay true anyways but would be a great addition next to SW and flash and the group we already have

Who else could we lose and who could we miss on because if this nonsensical madness????

29 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Where can I find one of these womenz at? 

2 minutes ago, ToomersRevenge said:

Never make an offer you're not willing to have accepted

This x1,000

My first thought when they said he surprisingly took a terrible offer

3 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

ashleymadison.com

No that’s the “get your data leaked causing a subsequent divorce” site. 

14 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Gotta understand that people on here psychoanalyzing Gus have never met him and have no basis for their assessment of his personality, how he gets along with people, what his value system is or anything of the sort.   They just pass along what they hear or read somewhere else.  …..stuff that often does not even rise to the level of "rumor" in terms of accuracy.  So if one view (money driven) does not seem to hold up, it's time to change to another …."money means nothing".  

I have two problems with this take.  One, I think it's an oversimplification.  You're painting two extremes here that don't reflect reality.  I think most people would say neither of these things.  Most would say that money isn't the main thing for Gus.  That's not the same as "money means nothing."  He ain't coaching for free.  But at this level I think Gus feels like he has plenty of money.  Does your lifestyle really become that much better making $7 million that it did making $3 million?  But Gus also understands that money = leverage and security.  And that's what the new deal last December was mostly about for him.

Two, I don't see people waffling from one take on this to the other because it "doesn't seem to hold up."  I see people who have various beliefs on the money issue and they pretty much stick to that view unless presented with overwhelming evidence otherwise.  The characterization of people switching from one view to the other like its just some kind of shady debate tactic is off base.

I’ll say this because everyone keeps saying Gus loves AU enough to take less money instead of leaving. Nothing could be further from the truth. Had that been the case he would have not forced the negotiations that he did last year. He would listen to criticism and try to make changes to help AU and the players succeed. No this is all about Gus’s ego. Surely no one would fire the greatest offensive genius in the world? That’s his thought. If Gus stays he won’t change anything at least long term. The reason is that he is convinced it’s not him. It has to be something or someone else that is causing him to fail. Bottom line we most likely go 7-5 next year and they fire him and we save a few bucks on the buyout. The bad part is we fall father behind uga,uat, Fl, TAM, KY and probably UT. We also probably prevent ourselves from hiring a decent coach ( although we haven’t done that in a while anyway). The AU brand will take a major hit. I like AG but if he lets this go down without a fight then I’m not sure he is the guy we need at AU. I know Leath needed to begone a year ago. Still don’t understand who was dumb enough to hire him in the first place. Writing was definitely on the wall from Iowa. Anyway I lived through the Bear years and I’ll make it through this period also.

Here is how my contract to Gus would be if I was doing it. 

1. Reduce pay to 6 million this year with 100,000 increase over the next 5.

2. 5 year deal. Bonus for 10 win season and New Years bowl, SECCG and CFP game.

3. Bonus for Top 5 recruiting class and for graduation rate.

4. 2 million towards new OC and line coach, but he must let the OC run the offense.

5. Buyout at 8 million reduced by two each year until contract finishes. This is on both sides.

6 AU reserves the right to fire him anytime even after game 1 of season if they feel he is not doing his job.

SIAP: Do we have any confirmation that such an offer was made to Gus to accept a lower buyout? Don't show me PMs article or any rehash of his article. Are there any independent sources reporting this?

I'm just not sure that makes any sense at all. I'm having a hard time believing either party would offer or accept a deal like that.  Only part of the story that doesn't "jive" imo.

1 hour ago, TitanTiger said:

After listening to that, my guess is this is going one of two ways:

1.  Auburn guys who want to replace Gus with a "homerun hire" get their man and Auburn pays a substantial amount of the buyout to send him on his way.

2. Auburn realizes it's stuck with Gus and firing him to hire a Jeff Brohm is untenable after floating the likes of Bob Stoops out there.  But the demands they put out there to get him to leave of his own accord they now realize hurt Auburn more than anyone.  You need to build the football facility.  You can't hamstring him from fixing the offensive side of things.  So a restructured deal will be announced that reduces the buyout significantly, but they back down on the more onerous stuff so he can go get some new offensive coaches.

I just can't see it happening any other way at this point. 

I agree.  Slight changes in either one could be possible but the course is set to flow one or the other.

5 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

SIAP: Do we have any confirmation that such an offer was made to Gus to accept a lower buyout? Don't show me PMs article or any rehash of his article. Are there any independent sources reporting this?

I'm just not sure that makes any sense at all. I'm having a hard time believing either party would offer or accept a deal like that.  Only part of the story that doesn't "jive" imo.

AUBURN, AL (WBRC) - Auburn football coach Gus Malzahn has agreed in principle to accept a reduced contract buyout to remain at the university. WBRC FOX6 Sports has confirmed an initial report from Auburn Undercover that Malzahn will see his $32 million buyout reduced by an unspecified amount. A source close to Auburn University also tells WBRC that Malzahn has agreed that Auburn will effectively end paying buyouts for assistant coaches, thus forcing Malzahn to pay buyouts himself for any assistant coach that he seeks to dismiss.

After beating Georgia and Alabama in back-to-back weeks in 2017, Malzahn was awarded a 7-year, $49 million contract. Since then, the Tigers have gone 7-7 with a record of 4-7 against Power-5 teams.

According to Auburn Undercover, Malzahn met with school president Steven Leath on Sunday to discuss the coach’s contract status. There remains no official word on when this agreement will be finalized.

Copyright 2018 WBRC. All rights reserved.

2 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

Well, there those who want Leath gone just as much as Gus, and making the University's leadership look weak sure helps their cause, regardless of the story's truth.

3 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

Yeah, I can't see Sexton going along with that kind of deal for his client. It would reflect poorly on him with his other clients/relationships.

3 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

WBRC FOX6 Sports has confirmed an initial report from Auburn Undercover that Malzahn will see his $32 million buyout reduced by an unspecified amount. A source close to Auburn University also tells WBRC that Malzahn has agreed that Auburn will effectively end paying buyouts for assistant coaches, thus forcing Malzahn to pay buyouts himself for any assistant coach that he seeks to dismiss...

http://www.wbrc.com/2018/11/27/gus-malzahn-accept-reduced-buyout-remain-auburn/

Archived