Josh Moon has some Malzahn info

TitanTiger

34 minutes ago, saminbama said:

This whole episode with all the different "reports" reminds me of something Pat Dye said when he was named the football coach at Auburn.  "Auburn people talk too much".  Nothing has changed in over 30 years.  This whole thing stinks.  None of this information should be public.

The Bob Stoops leak and then his vehement rebuttal kinda took the cake, didn't it?  "Ridiculous! Rumors based on clueless people reporting false news.")

This is poor PR as usual.  They have no idea how to control themselves and end up looking like a bunch of buffoons at every turn.  And for years I blamed Auburn's piss poor PR on Jay Jacobs - man was I wrong!

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's just face it. We are what we are. We are average. Good for some crazy seasons, but we will likely never do what Clemson has done. And that's because we are in the same state as the best when it comes to winning college football championships. It seems as though mediocrity has become intertwined with the culture in Auburn's football program. 

7 minutes ago, keesler said:

This is poor PR as usual.

Poor PR by who? Does the administration have to tell us that Gus is the coach in 2019 every single day? How much do they have to kill it? Which rumors do they have to kill? Leath and Greene both stated that Gus will be here in 2019 a few weeks ago. The presidents office just told Marcello that Gus will be here in 2019.  This crap going on right now falls on the shoulders of whoever PM/BM's sources are and Josh Moon. No?

Until this Josh Moon character started tweeting, everyone was under the impression Gus was here in 2019. Since then we've had an alleged Stoops-gate and reduced buyout rumors. 

Not sure if this is has been posted yet or not. If it has, forgive me.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Josh_Moon/status/1067841960784871424?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^tweet

I wish I could adequately convey the confusion that is taking place at Auburn right now. Trustees don't know what's going on. Coaches don't know. The AD is MIA. No one trusts the prez. And even the people directly involved aren't sure what's next.

20 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

That's my point though. He knows that so he may be willing to accept this crazy deal IF it means he gets at least another year. I agree with you 100%. I'm just trying to think of why he even would be open to the changes. 1. Because he knows that AU will be the best job he will likely ever get and/or 2. He actually believes next year will be successful. 

It's both #1 & #2.  Gus is not stupid, he knows his current gig is as good as it gets for him as a football coach. 

His narcissism leads him to seriously believe that he can turn this thing around, and the same time he refuses to believe he's the one responsible for the current status of the program.  The man is stubborn, short-sighted, egotistical, and lacks the vision needed to compete at this level of college football.   I've always thought Gus was an excellent representative of "Auburn University" ~ today, Auburn University isn't even a good representative of themselves.  

Just now, AU-24 said:

Not sure if this is has been posted yet or not. If it has, forgive me.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Josh_Moon/status/1067841960784871424?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^tweet

I wish I could adequately convey the confusion that is taking place at Auburn right now. Trustees don't know what's going on. Coaches don't know. The AD is MIA. No one trusts the prez. And even the people directly involved aren't sure what's next.

Just the way Sexton drew it up. You know HE isn't confused.

1 minute ago, AUght2win said:

Just the way Sexton drew it up. You know HE isn't confused.

I mean, how does Sexton benefit from getting a smaller buy-out next year?

1 minute ago, TigerFanAU said:

Poor PR by who? Does the administration have to tell us that Gus is the coach in 2019 every single day? How much do they have to kill it? Which rumors do they have to kill? Leath and Greene both stated that Gus will be here in 2019 a few weeks ago. The presidents office just told Marcello that Gus will be here in 2019. 

Public relations is a game of managing both expectations and unexpected news/leaks.  So no, while they don't have to "tell us every day," they can't act like they don't know what's being said right now and keep quiet.  You can't let stories of Bob Stoops being contacted, then news of a restructured buyout and deal being offered sit out there and fester if you know they aren't true.  That's just PR 101 and they haven't been doing a good job of it to this point.

1 minute ago, TigerFanAU said:

This crap going on right now falls on the shoulders of whoever PM/BM's sources are and Josh Moon. No?

Until this Josh Moon character started tweeting, everyone was under the impression Gus was here in 2019. Since then we've had an alleged Stoops-gate and reduced buyout rumors. 

I know you like dismissing stories if they don't run as the lead story on SportsCenter, but that's not how things work.  Josh Moon is an experienced sports reporter in this state who is still very connected.  So are Jay Tate and Phillip Marshall.  I don't care for Marcello from a personality standpoint, but he's also fairly well-connected.  They aren't just making s*** up.

So whether you like it or not, when you're in the heat of the early signing period you cannot just sit idly by and act like something you told people a few weeks ago before we got hammered by our two biggest rivals still stands.  If it's all just rumor and no truth to it, then say so.

Just now, TitanTiger said:

Yeah you're probably right. I just know Auburn usually flouders around like a dead animal for a while before it changes problems. 

3 minutes ago, TigerFanAU said:

Poor PR by who? Does the administration have to tell us that Gus is the coach in 2019 every single day? How much do they have to kill it? Which rumors do they have to kill? Leath and Greene both stated that Gus will be here in 2019 a few weeks ago. The presidents office just told Marcello that Gus will be here in 2019.  This crap going on right now falls on the shoulders of whoever PM/BM's sources are and Josh Moon. No?

So since no "official" Auburn employee (President/AD) have offered one shred of comment, then the "leaks" and "sources" are the PTB?  BOT members, rich Boosters, rogue Boosters and money men throwing their weight around? 

This Athletic Department is handled by the same puppet masters that have always controlled the inner workings, they're no better than they were 15 yrs ago.  It's "rumored" that Leath shot off to DC for a meeting and left a rich Booster to negotiate this deal with CGM and the freaking AD's completely absent from the picture?  Who the hell's acting as a leaky sieve, feeding the Jay Tate/Marcello/PMarshall's of the inter webs? 

9 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

New rumor: Malzahn to Georgia Tech.

Actually may not be a bad fit for him.

I know Kirby would probably kill to keep Gus on his yearly schedule

57 minutes ago, saminbama said:

This whole episode with all the different "reports" reminds me of something Pat Dye said when he was named the football coach at Auburn.  "Auburn people talk too much".  Nothing has changed in over 30 years.  This whole thing stinks.  None of this information should be public.

Exactly...how people have held on to internal Auburn sources all these years is amazing. None of this should have went public until it was ready. 

1 hour ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Here is how my contract to Gus would be if I was doing it. 

1. Reduce pay to 6 million this year with 100,000 increase over the next 5.

2. 5 year deal. Bonus for 10 win season and New Years bowl, SECCG and CFP game.

3. Bonus for Top 5 recruiting class and for graduation rate.

4. 2 million towards new OC and line coach, but he must let the OC run the offense.

5. Buyout at 8 million reduced by two each year until contract finishes. This is on both sides.

6 AU reserves the right to fire him anytime even after game 1 of season if they feel he is not doing his job.

...as long as we're wishing, I'd vote for 100% performance-based pay - say 900k per P5 win.  Maybe 100k per FBS win just so he knows he can feed his family even if we have a bunch of injuries or something.

Latest rumor is that Chip is leaving and to save money we won’t hire a new OC but are working hard to have a hologram of Vince Lombardi patrolling the sidelines next year, with or without Gus.

10 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

I know you like dismissing stories if they don't run as the lead story on SportsCenter, but that's not how things work.  Josh Moon is an experienced sports reporter in this state who is still very connected.  So are Jay Tate and Phillip Marshall.  I don't care for Marcello from a personality standpoint, but he's also fairly well-connected.  They aren't just making s*** up.

I didn't say they were making s*** up. They're reporting whatever the sources are telling them. Whether that info comes to fruition remains to be seen. And its still fine to be skeptical of this deal, there's an article in this thread saying its crazy as well.

But what a pain in the a** it must be for a university to have to crush every rumor that comes up. I guess in this case, since we've spread this like wildfire, and so many fans want Malzahn gone that they can't think straight, so AU press relations is going to have to draft up some lengthy statement showing support for Gus.

12 minutes ago, Auhud08 said:

Paul johnson just retired

7 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Actually may not be a bad fit for him.

I know Kirby would probably kill to keep Gus on his yearly schedule

GT cares about beating UGA as much or more than we do. I don't see them going for this, when PJ had the better record over the last 5 years.

edit: Better not same...

4 minutes ago, TigerFanAU said:

I didn't say they were making s*** up. They're reporting whatever the sources are telling them. Whether that info comes to fruition remains to be seen. And its still fine to be skeptical of this deal, there's an article in this thread saying its crazy as well.

But what a pain in the a** it must be for a university to have to crush every rumor that comes up. I guess in this case, since we've spread this like wildfire, and so many fans want Malzahn gone that they can't think straight, so AU press relations is going to have to draft up some lengthy statement showing support for Gus.

The thing is, the rumors can actually both be true right now, even if they don't come to fruition.  Certain powerful people connected with Auburn almost certainly have reached out to representatives of Bob Stoops and they likely did get some interest and discussions ensued.  And if he is willing and the price is right, they would be willing to fire Gus, pay the buyout as is, and bring in Stoops.  That's not crazy rumor type stuff, it makes perfect sense.  But it might not come to pass.  Stoops might decide to stay retired.  Or he might get an offer that interests him more.  Or his demands may be too high.  Still isn't crazy stuff.  

And it's also not crazy to think Auburn would try to make demands on Gus to stay that they believe would piss him off and be so unpalatable that he decides to negotiate a departure for another job or something, but that Sexton got Gus to call their bluff.  But it also could end up not quite playing out that way by the time it's all said and done.  It's can still be a true account of what's happened, but by the time the dust settles, a restructured buyout is in place minus some of the more onerous restrictions they were going to place on him.

But if they are just complete bull**** floated out there by inside sources with an agenda, then it's fairly easy for the administration at Auburn to issue a simple press release declaring the rumors untrue and that Gus will be the coach next year.  Done.  You don't have to respond to everything but you can and should respond to some things.  

Archived