Josh Moon has some Malzahn info

TitanTiger

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, chimes said:

Overrated 

It is an admittedly an acquired taste.  However.....I definitely acquired it!!!  Probably way too much in my years there...

4 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Heck with that.  HE'd fall in LOVE with the Varsity!!!

And JR Cricket's (great wings) is right there as well.

1 hour ago, smackydoodle said:

I'm gonna join the fun of making stuff up... maybe Gus also restructured the area of his contract that dictates how much he owes if he leaves. That way, he keeps his "I've never been fired", moves to another school, and saves everyone (including himself) a ton of $.

So many people are acting like there's no way Gus would consider a lower buyout, but there are plenty of reasons why that might make sense.  Right now, if Gus' buyout were lower, he'd be gone.  It's a bad relationship and either both sides want out (but unlike last year, I don't think Gus is getting any invites), or Gus would like to try to win AU back over.  

Yes, the highest dollar amount for Gus would be to demand his full buyout, but people don't get to this level without serious competitive drive, desire to achieve, pride, etc. All of those things factor in along with the money.  Perhaps Gus & AU are working toward a mutual separation that allows him to avoid some of the sting of being fired, and allows AU to avoid some of the cost & negative PR of firing him...although if that's the goal they aren't doing well on the PR part.  Or perhaps Gus is willing to risk millions for a shot to prove himself where he believes he has the best chance - Auburn.  Without knowing the specifics, it's hard to say exactly.  If he said I'll take a lower buyout if I don't achieve X goals, but gets some upside if he performs well, that would make sense for a coach who believes (however delusional you may think him) in himself and his team.

1 hour ago, TitanTiger said:

And it's also not crazy to think Auburn would try to make demands on Gus to stay that they believe would piss him off and be so unpalatable that he decides to negotiate a departure for another job or something, but that Sexton got Gus to call their bluff.

This makes no sense - calling their bluff would be to just hold them to the existing contract.  Unless the TUF invalidation rumor has merit.

50 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

Any truth about GT wanting Gus?  I am not a big fan of twitter in the you have to read between the lines far more than necessary to make any sense of this. I guess I am just too old school these days!

Doc, if the fanbase is any indication, they'd only take him if he worked for free.  That's after texting back and forth with 3 alums...  

Did Johnson actually retire from GT?  This would be a perfect opportunity for Gus to move on and let us hire a good proven coach.  I think Jeff Brohm is Louisville bound. If not Stoops, then go after Matt Campbell at ISU, Mike Norvell at Memphis, maybe the coach at UCF.  I do not know of many really top coaches out there. Lance Leipold has done nothing but make Buffalo a winner. His record is something like 120-15 or close over his years as a HC. From what I have researched about his is that he is very aggressive Saban-like coach.

I hope the money men will get together and do what is necessary to send Gus off in a blaze of glory. If this stands with Gus being back for 2019,  we are only prolonging the problem.

Gus is a good man and I respect him for this. However, the time has come to part ways the sooner the much more better folks.

10 minutes ago, Scottie said:

Varsity + Waffle House = RIP digestive track.

You ain't lyin'!  Sometimes you just have to make sure you have a very fast car to get back home after you finish eating!

2 minutes ago, Grimnir said:

Havent been able to check whats going on today...  Anything good or are we still a screwed laughing stock?

The latter as of right now.

1 minute ago, doc4aday said:

Did Johnson actually retire from GT?  This would be a perfect opportunity for Gus to move on and let us hire a good proven coach.  I think Jeff Brohm is Louisville bound. If not Stoops, then go after Matt Campbell at ISU, Mike Norvell at Memphis, maybe the coach at UCF.  I do not know of many really top coaches out there. Lance Leipold has done nothing but make Buffalo a winner. His record is something like 120-15 or close over his years as a HC. From what I have researched about his is that he is very aggressive Saban-like coach.

I hope the money men will get together and do what is necessary to send Gus off in a blaze of glory. If this stands with Gus being back for 2019,  we are only prolonging the problem.

Gus is a good man and I respect him for this. However, the time has come to part ways the sooner the much more better folks.

Outside of the first two mentioned, did you really just name a bunch of unproven coaches? I'm not a fan of where Malzahn has the program right now, but I don't see buying him out to replace him with someone not proven.

Honestly.. the only person I'd fire Malzahn (this season) for is Bob Stoops (or Dabo, but lol). 

Anything else is just throwing money away , IMO.

1 minute ago, doc4aday said:

Yes.  PJ is officially out at Tech.

6 minutes ago, AURealist said:

And JR Cricket's (great wings) is right there as well.

Never been there (though I've been out of Atlanta for 12 years now)..maybe it's newer?

My go-to wings place down here is Buffalo Wings & Rings.  The local one is where the Buffalo Bills viewing parties take place, so that told me something.

Sorry for the derail, but this is probably just as informative as anything Gus related right now.

1 minute ago, KnightTiger said:

why hasn't anyone from the university came out and said something  yet? the longer this goes on it hurts the program more than anything

There was a statement from the President's people today to BM reiterating their statement from last month that Gus will be the coach next season.

2 minutes ago, KnightTiger said:

why hasn't anyone from the university came out and said something  yet? the longer this goes on it hurts the program more than anything

It's hard to talk when you're stumbling over your own dick.

2 minutes ago, KnightTiger said:

That's what we're all wondering.

2 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Never been there (though I've been out of Atlanta for 12 years now)..maybe it's newer?

My go-to wings place down here is Buffalo Wings & Rings.  The local one is where the Buffalo Bills viewing parties take place, so that told me something.

Sorry for the derail, but this is probably just as informative as anything Gus related right now.

I ordered a beer at JR Crickets and the waitress asked, "Deuce deuce?" She wanted to know if I would be having the 22 oz beer. Just then, Andre 3000 walks by on the sidewalk just outside the window we're sitting by, in a getup not dissimilar from the one below and with a girl on each arm. God, I miss Atlanta.

Image result for andre 3000 green suit hat

10 minutes ago, Grimnir said:

Havent been able to check whats going on today...  Anything good or are we still a screwed laughing stock?

Readers Digest version: Nothing new other than Paul Johnson is retiring at Ga Tech and we all would luv to see the Bus headed to Hotlanta!

Just now, AUsince72 said:

JR Crickets has been around since the 70s.  Just a short walk up North Avenue from the GT campus.  Great wings.

I live in Philly.  Wings aren't great here.  No favorite.

4 minutes ago, aubcali said:

Leading candidate for GT job is Ken Whisenhunt.  

Yep.  And a fan favorite according to my personal research.

I’m not a big SI guy, and this is nothing we don’t already know, but it’s a fairly interesting read.  

https://www.si.com/college-football/2018/11/28/auburn-gus-malzahn-contract-buyout-mailbag

Auburn stays weird when it comes to coaches, and you have questions…

Auburn trustee: Gus, we’d like you to take a reduced buyout, and we’re going to freeze your assistant coach salary pool so you can’t fire anybody we’d owe a buyout to. (Cough, cough, offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey*, cough, cough.) 

Me (as Malzahn): You can keep me under the current deal or you can pay me the $32 million you owe me. I’ll be at the Waffle House awaiting your decision.

But that’s not what Malzahn said, and it’s tough for most of us to understand because we aren’t Malzahn. We haven’t already made millions of dollars doing a job that we never expected would pay more than five figures. (Remember, Malzahn started as a high school coach. He probably never imagined this was possible in his 20s.) Perhaps it isn’t about the money for Malzahn. Perhaps he’d rather prove he can do the job that his administration and booster base now seems to think he can’t do. Remember, he still makes millions if Auburn fires him after next season. But he’d probably rather win than get paid those millions, because, like most people who ascend to Power 5 head coaching jobs, he’s a hypercompetitive workaholic who wants to win more than anything.

*That doesn’t mean Malzahn can’t make staff changes. If, say, Lindsey got another offensive coordinator job, Auburn could forgive any buyout Lindsey would owe for leaving.

He’s won the SEC as Auburn’s head coach. He has been a minute from a national title as Auburn’s head coach. He still probably has a better chance to win a national title at Auburn than he would at Texas Tech or Colorado or Louisville. Remember, Malzahn is 2–4 against Alabama coach Nick Saban. That doesn’t sound so great until you remember that the other 12 SEC head coaches are 0–Everything against Saban.

The fact that Auburn is trying to swipe back some of Malzahn’s leverage a year after handing him a massive extension probably will scare the bejeezus out of the better head coaching candidates should Auburn fire Malzahn after next season—a move it certainly seems to be setting up now. But this is Auburn. We’ve come to expect wild emotional swings involving football coaches from the Tigers’ administration and boosters.

Archived