Tuberville weighs in ...

RunInRed

59 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Isn't that when Borges got knocked in the head and was never the same after?  Bama made a game of it in the 4th and it never should have been that close.

That's an interesting theory about Borges. But no. After Cole Bennett scored that last TD to make it 28-7, everyone in that stadium knew for sure that it was over. Tubs called off the dogs and put in the subs. Prevent defense allowed Alabama to score the next 11 points to get it close. We missed a field goal to make it 31-18 too. But we never stopped sacking Croyle hahahahahahahahahahahahaha. I'll never get tired of that game. Greatest thing I've ever personally witnessed in JHS.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, johnnyAU said:

He did it again in 2008 when he tried the Tony Franklin experiment for a half year then ended with Nallsminger 2.0. 

I'm sure there are others who actually know, but I'm willing to bet Tubs did NOT want to hire Tony Franklin. I might be wrong, considering Tubs went on to coach at Texas Tech and Cincy where both offenses were known for spread attacks, but he also tried running the ball more at those stops.

That was definitely the nail in the coffin for Tubs though. I still love the guy though. Those were my glorious years attending Auburn in 04-05 so I'm biased. :D

6 minutes ago, Linayus said:

I'm willing to bet Tubs did NOT want to hire Tony Franklin. 

Ain’t no way. Ain’t no how.

Handcuffed by money men. FF ~10 years and Harbert is allegedly negotiating a football contract amendment, versus the AD.

1 hour ago, lca408 said:

Prevent defense allowed Alabama to score the next 11 points to get it close. We missed a field goal to make it 31-18 too

I was more pissed that we didn't beat Bama by more than 10 points in that game than I was when Tubby went fetal and lost to them by 49 - 0. NOT a fan of the pine box Arkansan charlatan.

Tubs is right. We are in a constant state of drama, back room deals, and ridiculous decision making. And it has gone on way too long. This current episode is just another example of the lack of leadership and culture within our athletic department. I’ve worked for some very large and successful organizations, and not one of them would possibly run things the way they are ran in our athletic department. One circus event after another. However you feel about CTT as a person or coach, his take is truth. 

Just now, AU-HANDLEY-TIGER said:

And wasn’t he the barbecue gang bs as well? Gosh the bad memories returning 

He lucked out being hired by Jimmy Johnson.  Epitome of the Peter Principle. Moron.

1 hour ago, AU-HANDLEY-TIGER said:

Wasn’t he duck hunting or some such nonsense?

Bingo. Am I the only one who recalls Tubs allowing his agent (Sexton, of course) to fabricate ridiculous rumors of suitors at the end of every season, in order to renegotiate his contract (while recruits signed with our rivals)? Seems a bit hypocritical for him to make some of these comments now. I know he was in a  tough position given some of the boosters meddling, but he just rubbed me the wrong way. He just wasn't a great coach, as evidenced by his career record of 159-99. He quit recruiting, retained his lousy BBQ bunch of assistants and ran our program into the ground. Plus he was just too smug for a guy who lost 4 games every year. I've never understood the love he gets from the AU faithful. 

2 minutes ago, Randman5000 said:

Tubby isn't wrong. 

He's an idiot high school coach.  Stick that in your pine box.  You think TT or Cincinnati would take him back? Or even Ole Miss?  I'm sure he can spin some duck hunt'in stories and probably cook up some awesome Bar-B-Que.  Likeable guy but moron coach.

3 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

He's an idiot high school coach.  Stick that in your pine box.  You think TT or Cincinnati would take him back? Or even Ole Miss?  I'm sure he can spin some duck hunt'in stories and probably cook up some awesome Bar-B-Que.  Likeable guy but moron coach.

He's not a high school coach. Don't confuse him with our current one. You may not like Tubs but he's not wrong. 

7 minutes ago, Randman5000 said:

He's not a high school coach. Don't confuse him with our current one. 

Really?  From his Wiki:

Tuberville coached at Hermitage High School in Hermitage, Arkansas to begin his career. Tuberville was an assistant coach at Arkansas State University. He then went through the ranks at the University of Miami, beginning as graduate assistant and ending as defensive coordinator in 1993 and winning the national championship three times during his tenure there (1986–1994). In 1994, Tuberville replaced Bob Davie as defensive coordinator under R. C. Slocum at Texas A&M University. The Aggies went 10–0–1 that season.

Sound familiar?

10 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Really?  From his Wiki:

Tuberville coached at Hermitage High School in Hermitage, Arkansas to begin his career. Tuberville was an assistant coach at Arkansas State University. He then went through the ranks at the University of Miami, beginning as graduate assistant and ending as defensive coordinator in 1993 and winning the national championship three times during his tenure there (1986–1994). In 1994, Tuberville replaced Bob Davie as defensive coordinator under R. C. Slocum at Texas A&M University. The Aggies went 10–0–1 that season.

Sound familiar?

Really..... Come on. So was Vince Lombardi but neither Tubby or Vince were defined by it. Tubby coached for 1 yr high school. He's no Gus. 

2 minutes ago, Randman5000 said:

Really..... Come on. So was Vince Lombardi but neither Tubby or Vince were defined by it. Tubby coached for 1 yr high school. He's no Gus. 

Ok, I'll agree to disagree with you on that.  I think he should have stuck with frying catfish though.  Lombardi though? Really? ;D

3 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Ok, I'll agree to disagree with you on that.  I think he should have stuck with frying catfish though.  Lombardi though? Really? ;D

Ha. Yeah I went top shelf. Lol

Archived