Tuberville weighs in ...

RunInRed

9 hours ago, kevon67 said:

Didnt Tuberville walkout on a couple of recruits to take Cincy job..........He must never unpack.............like the old Van Halen song "One Foot out the Door" 😂

Version I heard was that he was at a restaurant with recruits, got the cincy call then left the recruits at the restaurant.  Classy.  Nothing but a hypocrite.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/28/2018 at 12:47 PM, DivisionN said:

If Auburn had stuck to their guns and hired Petrino, we would be celebrating a couple of national championships. He was that good. Of course, he would have found a pretty secretary and gone to the NFL to self-destruct, but we were in a great position to dominate the SEC at that time. Then Tubs brought us down the long slide to mediocrity. 

Not buying the Petrino hype. His defenses have been absolute dog s*** every head coach gig he has gotten. Hes a great oc, but I'd never want him as a head coach. 

On 12/3/2018 at 11:38 PM, cctiger said:

I take it that you are not much of a fan of Coach Dye? I'll take his first 6 years over Malzhan's any day of the week. I think at the least we were much more competitive game to game than what we are seeing now. 

I'm a huge fan of Coach Dye, but there are plenty of similarities between the way he started his tenure and the way Malzahn has started his tenure, and that makes me believe that if Dye were a modern coach, he would be getting treated the same way Malzahn is being treated. What happens if Gus brings it all together and Bo Nix leads us to three straight SEC championships? 

I admit, I sometimes wonder how well we'll do going forward, but I think Gus has done enough to deserve another year to show out before he gets the shaft.

How did he get hired at Auburn? Was he an underwhelming hire ? He was 25-20 at Ole Miss. Could a better coach had done far more then he did at Auburn? He was recruiting 2 stars and moving wide receivers to linebackers...

8 hours ago, sevenlee36 said:

He was recruiting 2 stars and moving wide receivers to linebackers

And that linebacker became an Auburn legend.

1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

And that linebacker became an Auburn legend.

And an NFL Legend! I like to think he's War Eagleing around the field in the below gif.

4c1fa6a585aef2d3a677d2f81255159a_extra_l

16 hours ago, Rednilla said:

I'm a huge fan of Coach Dye, but there are plenty of similarities between the way he started his tenure and the way Malzahn has started his tenure, and that makes me believe that if Dye were a modern coach, he would be getting treated the same way Malzahn is being treated. What happens if Gus brings it all together and Bo Nix leads us to three straight SEC championships? 

I admit, I sometimes wonder how well we'll do going forward, but I think Gus has done enough to deserve another year to show out before he gets the shaft.

I’m not sure I know what the right thing is. What I wish they would do is make a decision, come out strong for THAT decision, whatever it is; and then tell everyone this is it, we are getting behind it 100%. Its the wishy washy nature of the situation for me rather than who stays or who goes.  

11 hours ago, sevenlee36 said:

How did he get hired at Auburn? Was he an underwhelming hire ? He was 25-20 at Ole Miss. Could a better coach had done far more then he did at Auburn? He was recruiting 2 stars and moving wide receivers to linebackers...

Same was AU was trying to hire Bobby P. The exact same way. 

11 hours ago, sevenlee36 said:

Ole Miss was a major rebuild at the time because of NCAA sanctions...those were the days when the Mississippi schools were lucky to have winning records.  He was probably underwhelming to most...you had folks on the message boards wanting to go after Cowher and Switzer, so...(some things never change)

19 hours ago, Rednilla said:

When did Gus do enough though?  Obviously the Administration felt he deserved his contract extension/huge buyout because they executed the agreement pretty quickly after he beat down 2 #1's uga/uat.   But he's 7-7 since that ass whooping in the '17 Iron Bowl - is that why he deserves another year to show out?

1 hour ago, keesler said:

But he's 7-7 since that ass whooping in the '17 Iron Bowl - is that why he deserves another year to show out?

OMG imagine if we lose vs Purdue. He will have a losing record since inking the $49 million deal. WOW.

3 minutes ago, Tiger said:

OMG imagine if we lose vs Purdue. He will have a losing record since inking the $49 million deal. WOW.

And if he does lose, the buyout money may magically appear.

3 hours ago, keesler said:

When did Gus do enough though?  Obviously the Administration felt he deserved his contract extension/huge buyout because they executed the agreement pretty quickly after he beat down 2 #1's uga/uat.   But he's 7-7 since that ass whooping in the '17 Iron Bowl - is that why he deserves another year to show out?

Yes, the beat downs of Georgia and Alabama are part of why he deserves the chance, along with the other 8 wins in 2017. Another part of it is that this time 5 years ago, Gus had just won the SEC and was on his way to the national championship game (BUT HE CHOKED!!! HE DOESN'T GET CREDIT FOR ANYTHING WHEN HE CHOKES AGAINST ONE OF THE BEST TEAMS IN THE COUNTRY IN THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP GAME!!!1!).

I don't care that people keep bringing up that 7-7 since the deal was signed in the least. The SECCG was lost because Kerryon was hurt and we didn't have any other answer for UGA. The Peach Bowl was lost because the players came in sleepwalking because they were playing a Group of 5 team in a let down scenario after not making the playoffs, while UCF was playing with their hair on fire because it was the biggest game in that program's history. This year was blown because the offensive line lost 4 starters and the lack of experience came back to haunt us.

Now, is any of that on the coach's shoulders? Of course it is! He's the head man, and the buck stops with him. But if 7-7 is on his shoulders, then 10-2 is to his credit every bit as much. You seem really quick to forget the good in this day of what-have-you-done-for-me-lately mentalities.

"Is it good enough to catch the runaway train in Georgia and Alabama? No, because no one is going to catch them.”

Lost me right here.  I'm not one to think we have to beat UGA and Bama every time out, but if you don't want to try and at least compete with them, you have no business here at AU.  Maybe if Tubs had done more recruiting and less duck hunting he'd still be employed.

13 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

Yes, the beat downs of Georgia and Alabama are part of why he deserves the chance, along with the other 8 wins in 2017. Another part of it is that this time 5 years ago, Gus had just won the SEC and was on his way to the national championship game (BUT HE CHOKED!!! HE DOESN'T GET CREDIT FOR ANYTHING WHEN HE CHOKES AGAINST ONE OF THE BEST TEAMS IN THE COUNTRY IN THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP GAME!!!1!).

I don't care that people keep bringing up that 7-7 since the deal was signed in the least. The SECCG was lost because Kerryon was hurt and we didn't have any other answer for UGA. The Peach Bowl was lost because the players came in sleepwalking because they were playing a Group of 5 team in a let down scenario after not making the playoffs, while UCF was playing with their hair on fire because it was the biggest game in that program's history. This year was blown because the offensive line lost 4 starters and the lack of experience came back to haunt us.

Now, is any of that on the coach's shoulders? Of course it is! He's the head man, and the buck stops with him. But if 7-7 is on his shoulders, then 10-2 is to his credit every bit as much. You seem really quick to forget the good in this day of what-have-you-done-for-me-lately mentalities.

OK, forget 7-7 since the deal was signed.  He's 24-24 against Power 5 teams since the start of the 2014 season.  It's a pattern of mediocrity, not a single year blip.

42 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

Another part of it is that this time 5 years ago, Gus had just won the SEC and was on his way to the national championship game (BUT HE CHOKED!!! HE DOESN'T GET CREDIT FOR ANYTHING WHEN HE CHOKES AGAINST ONE OF THE BEST TEAMS IN THE COUNTRY IN THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP GAME!!!1!)

Well, he did blow an 11-pt halftime lead. That's not something only Auburn fans call choking. 

Also, 5 years ago? 2013 is still a referendum on his coaching ability? His first season, since which he's gotten progressively worse each year? And no, I'm not forgetting about last year's amazing 4-loss season, where we hung 117 total yards of offense on Clemson, 100%, totally, without question choked against a mediocre LSU team, and scored 7 total points in the SEC championship game. 

12 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

OK, forget 7-7 since the deal was signed.  He's 24-24 against Power 5 teams since the start of the 2014 season.  It's a pattern of mediocrity, not a single year blip.

Now that's a better argument, but you purposely left out the SEC Championship year, which still plays a factor. As a matter of fact, Malzahn has led Auburn to 2 of it's 13 ten win seasons, and played a major factor in another one. You could easily make an argument for him being responsible for 3 of the 5 such seasons that have occurred in this century.

Wrap your head around that. In the 21 years since Tommy Tuberville left Oxford for Auburn, the Tigers have won 10 games or more 5 times, and Malzahn has been a critical factor in 3 of those instances. That works out to a little less than 1 out of 4 years of having double digit victory totals, while in Malzahn's time on the Plains, it's 1 out of 3 years exactly. And you think we're going to find another coach willing to come in and take on the Board at Auburn, who are undercutting Gus at every move currently, who sent a plane to Louisville to talk with Bobby Petrino before the Iron Bowl had been played while Tuberville was still coach...and you expect that coach will have the wherewithal to do better than 1 out of 3 years? No coach has ever had better success, at least regarding 10 win seasons, at Auburn than that.

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Well, he did blow an 11-pt halftime lead. That's not something only Auburn fans call choking. 

Also, 5 years ago? 2013 is still a referendum on his coaching ability? His first season, since which he's gotten progressively worse each year? And no, I'm not forgetting about last year's amazing 4-loss season, where we hung 117 total yards of offense on Clemson, 100%, totally, without question choked against a mediocre LSU team, and scored 7 total points in the SEC championship game. 

Yeah, it had NOTHING to do with Florida State being good enough to come back, did it? It's funny, I don't remember hearing anyone blaming Saban for choking in the 2010 Iron Bowl.

And yes, you are forgetting about last year's 10 win season, because you're only remembering the losses.

Just now, Rednilla said:

Yeah, it had NOTHING to do with Florida State being good enough to come back, did it? It's funny, I don't remember hearing anyone blaming Saban for choking in the 2010 Iron Bowl.

And yes, you are forgetting about last year's 10 win season, because you're only remembering the losses.

Any chance you want to chill with the yelling?

Did I say that FSU wasn't good that season? Why would I diminish my enjoyment of the 2010 IB by focusing on saban? I guarantee you that his fans had some not so nice things to say about him at the time. 

Also, you really need to quit projecting things on folks like me and @keesler. What a silly and bizarre thing to say, that we forget last year. 

Just now, McLoofus said:

Any chance you want to chill with the yelling?

Did I say that FSU wasn't good that season? Why would I diminish my enjoyment of the 2010 IB by focusing on saban? I guarantee you that his fans had some not so nice things to say about him at the time. 

Also, you really need to quit projecting things on folks like me and @keesler. What a silly and bizarre thing to say, that we forget last year. 

The all caps is a habit I developed (for emphasis, not for shouting) on other mediums which do not allow for italic fonts. I apologize for not being clearer.

I didn't say that you or any Auburn fan should focus on Saban regarding the 2010 Iron Bowl, but I sure don't remember Alabama fans being as critical of him as I've seen so many Auburn fans being critical of Malzahn for something less magnanimous.

And why shouldn't I preclude that you have forgotten last year when all you talk about are the bumps in the road? You obviously don't think it was a very good season. That leads me to believe you've forgotten the good and retained only the bad.

On ‎11‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 1:53 PM, around4ever said:

Our current AD is great.  He is doing an excellent job and I hope he stays here for a long time.   Tubs is mad because nobody wants him as a HC anymore. 

I disagree. He is  left out in what's going on in the current mess. I have talked to him in person about a couple of things. Nice guy but he isn't going to buck Leath or other PTB.

Thanks to Tubs for telling it like it is. All he did was call a spade a spade and yet some of the biggest critics of the current mess don't want to hear it.

53 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

Now that's a better argument, but you purposely left out the SEC Championship year, which still plays a factor. As a matter of fact, Malzahn has led Auburn to 2 of it's 13 ten win seasons, and played a major factor in another one. You could easily make an argument for him being responsible for 3 of the 5 such seasons that have occurred in this century.

Wrap your head around that. In the 21 years since Tommy Tuberville left Oxford for Auburn, the Tigers have won 10 games or more 5 times, and Malzahn has been a critical factor in 3 of those instances. That works out to a little less than 1 out of 4 years of having double digit victory totals, while in Malzahn's time on the Plains, it's 1 out of 3 years exactly. And you think we're going to find another coach willing to come in and take on the Board at Auburn, who are undercutting Gus at every move currently, who sent a plane to Louisville to talk with Bobby Petrino before the Iron Bowl had been played while Tuberville was still coach...and you expect that coach will have the wherewithal to do better than 1 out of 3 years? No coach has ever had better success, at least regarding 10 win seasons, at Auburn than that.

Yes, I purposefully left out 2013.  If you want to add it, that's fine, but it doesn't make his record stellar.  More than anything, I'm interested to see what he's done after catching that lightning in a bottle, which is why I left it out.  Lots of coaches have great years.  But how one builds upon success is more important for judging the long term.

Look, the bigger problem is that under Gus, we are:

3-3 vs MSU

2-4 vs LSU

2-5 vs UGA

I'm leaving off Bama because I don't think he or anyone else should be punished for having a losing record to quite possibly the greatest dynasty college football has ever seen.

The MSU record is unforgivable to any AU coach.  It shouldn't have to be noted that he's blown two double digit leads to LSU.  And before talking about the greatness of UGA, please remember that they were not good in 2015 or 16, yet we lost both.  

The other really big concerns are his record away from JHS (12-12 in SEC play) and his ability to blow leads.  If I remember correctly, AU has blown more double digit leads under Malzahn than under any other coach in our history.

You're also giving Malzahn way too much credit historically for 10 win seasons.  The NCAA didn't move to a 12 game schedule full time until 2005.  How many 10 win campaigns do you think Dye would have had if AU scheduled three cupcakes a year like we do now?  Seriously, study his schedules in the 80s.  1983 alone had non-conference games against #3 Texas, #17 FSU, and #7 Maryland. '84 had Miami, FSU, and Georgia Tech.  Keep going and you'll find more of the same.  Essentially, winning 10 ain't what it used to be. 

1 hour ago, Rednilla said:

Thanks for the response and clarification of your post.

Excuse me for saying it, but your entire response sounds like the never ending bag of excuses that get pulled put every year.  Gus has had glaring deficiencies with this program over the past 5 (FIVE) yrs. 

Every program experiences injuries and some to a key player in the middle of a game or a season, but they don't fall apart completely.  Every team loses starters annually, and are forced to play inexperienced personnel on the line, at QB or other high profile skill positions.  Every program has to get their players up to task and mentally prepared for their opponent, even after a loss and when the goals of the season may be dashed early on.  Gus still hasn't found a way to prepare his players for bowl games, I don't know why this is so difficult for him.  If our '17 players (10-3) were sleepwalking through the Peach bowl in ATL vs an undefeated UCF team, then how will they (7-5) react to Purdue in Nashville?  

I do admit that I probably did quickly forget the good.  In my own defense, I was up close and personal when I sat my ass in the stands in Starkville at the MSU game (cowbells deafening) and watched their QB run up the gut non-stop for over 190 yrds on our defense.  Narry a D coach or a single leader on the field chose to make even one single adjustment to stop him. 

I quickly followed up that game back home JHS and watched hillbilly boy Pruitt in his first yr as a HC at UT real off their 1st SEC win in 2 freaking years while it appeared our team laid down and gave up.  So while I have moments of dementia regarding to good, the bad out weighs the good 10 to 1 when we're talking about college football.   

34 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

And why shouldn't I preclude that you have forgotten last year when all you talk about are the bumps in the road? You obviously don't think it was a very good season. That leads me to believe you've forgotten the good and retained only the bad.

Quite a leap on your part, and a fallacious one, I'm afraid. 

I didn't say that you or any Auburn fan should focus on Saban regarding the 2010 Iron Bowl, but I sure don't remember Alabama fans being as critical of him as I've seen so many Auburn fans being critical of Malzahn for something less magnanimous.

How much time do you spend on bama boards?

Also, keep in mind that it's 2018, and not 2013 or 2010.

Since 2010, saban has won 4 national championships and is knocking on the door of another with perhaps his best team yet. Of the 3 years that he didn't win the national championship- repeat, saban has won more national championships over the last 7 years than he has not won- he was in the playoffs in 2 of those years and lost out on winning another in 1 of those 2 years on a last second play. (And, of course, the only reason he didn't play for one that 3rd year is because we beat them on a literal last second play with the greatest play in CFB history.)

Since 2013, Gus has won 1 SEC West title, has not won an SEC championship, has not been to the playoffs and has lost at least 4 games every season. 

So now that it's 2018, which fanbase do you think might be more critical of a blown lead their coach was responsible 5 or 8 years ago? 

Archived