PM: Gus close to accepting changes to stay (merged threads)

aubiefifty

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply
49 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Does our Athletic Department employ anybody with PR knowledge?  This is insane.

This has been asked on more occasion and for a variety of other issues over the years unfortunately. State Exhibit A- Meyers Softball Debacle. 

Every game next year will start out talking about Auburn wanting to fire Gus after this season.  The more Auburn wins the more the talking heads will talk about it.

4 minutes ago, Tiger said:

100%

It’s laughable, has this ever happened at a major program? At least to where it was reported as such? The fact that anybody at the university thought this was a “good” plan makes me hurt inside.

edit: I mean has it happened in a “similar” fashion to ours?

59 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Does our Athletic Department employ anybody with PR knowledge?  This is insane.

PR knowkedge? I'd settle for common sense at this point.

12 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

It’s laughable, has this ever happened at a major program? At least to where it was reported as such? The fact that anybody at the university thought this was a “good” plan makes me hurt inside.

edit: I mean has it happened in a “similar” fashion to ours?

It’s laughable that this was offered and even more bizarre that Gus accepted. Just leave man, we don’t want you lol

1 minute ago, DAG said:

It’s laighable that this was offered and even more bizarre that Gus accepted. Just leave man, we don’t want you lol

Greatest offseason ever! Lol

2 hours ago, JMassie11 said:

Not buying it

Neither am I, at least not the part about not firing some assistants that would require a buyout.

I think CCL is a goner.  TBH, I'm surprised he's still there.

Maybe, maybe, maybe the PTB were trying to bully and bluff Gus into leaving, by attempting to make his life at Auburn so miserable that he'd seek a reduced buyout just to get out.

And maybe he called their bluff by agreeing to their terms.

If this is the case, I'm done. Not watching Auburn football anymore until Malzahn's gone. I love my Tigers and will always root for them; I've gotten up every Sunday morning between 1:30 AM and 8 AM the past 4 years to see them play from Japan, but this season just wasn't worth it. I can't take the incompetence, especially from the school's leadership. My God. I love my Auburn Tigers, but I also care about my mental health.

42 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

i agree

the wide receiver routes were terrible under Lindsey. that's on him. not Malzahn. I believe he is every bit as responsible for the predictability of this offense as Gus was. 

5 minutes ago, KolchakAU85 said:

Maybe, maybe, maybe the PTB were trying to bully and bluff Gus into leaving, by attempting to make his life at Auburn so miserable that he'd seek a reduced buyout just to get out.

And maybe he called their bluff by agreeing to their terms.

Image result for maybe gif

4 minutes ago, shabby said:

the wide receiver routes were terrible under Lindsey. that's on him. not Malzahn. I believe he is every bit as responsible for the predictability of this offense as Gus was. 

Those aren’t Chip’s routes.  

Not even close. 

6 minutes ago, shabby said:

Haven’t you heard.... all things negative are on Gus. All things positive despite him. 

2 minutes ago, Sully to Beasley said:

Sorry but I would like to hear this from a more reliable source than Marcello before I believe it.

Right. I don't get how so many posters on here are taking this as the Gospel.

2 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

AUBURN, Alabama – Though no agreement has been finalized and changes remain possible, Gus Malzahn is on the verge of accepting a reduced buyout and other limitations to remain for his seventh season as Auburn’s head football coach, sources told AuburnUndercover. Malzahn’s buyout, sources said, would be reduced by an unspecified amount. Any coaching staff moves would have to be revenue neutral, effectively removing the possibility of paying buyouts for assistant coaches and assuring Chip Lindsey would remain as offensive coordinator unless he chooses to leave. President Steven Leath laid out the offer in a Sunday meeting with Malzahn. Leath left Tuesday morning for a meeting in Washington, D.C., and, according to athletic department sources, left negotiations with Malzahn in the hands of trustee Raymond Harbert. Malzahn was on the road recruiting Monday night and left on another recruiting trip Tuesday morning. He is not expected to return until late Tuesday night. After Auburn beat Georgia and Alabama, when both were ranked No. 1 last November, Leath, with strong support from Harbert, reached an agreement with Malzahn on a seven-year contract worth $49 million with 75 percent guaranteed. Since then, Auburn has gone 7-7 overall and 4-7 against power-five conference teams. After starting this season ranked No. 8, Auburn finished 7-5 overall and 3-5 in the SEC, creating a firestorm among Auburn supporters and donors. To buy out Malzahn’s contract and make a change would cost approximately $32 million with some $15 million due in 30 days and the rest to be paid in four annual installments. Auburn coaches, sources said, have faced questions about Malzahn’s future on virtually every stop on the recruiting trail over the past two days. In six seasons at Auburn, Malzahn is 52-27 overall and 28-20 in the SEC. In 2013, his first Auburn team was 12-2 overall, 7-1 in the SEC, won the conference championship and lost 34-31 to Florida State in the BCS Championship team. His 2017 team went 10-2 in the regular season and won the West Division championship before losing 28-7 to Georgia in the SEC Championship Game and 34-27 to Central Florida in the Peach Bowl to finish 10-4. From 2014-2016, the combined record was 23-16 overall and 11-13 in the SEC. The Tigers finished 8-5 and 4-4 in 2014 after a 7-1 start, finished 7-6 and 2-6 in 2015 and 8-5 and 5-3 in 2016, losing to Oklahoma in the Sugar Bowl. Malzahn’s bowl record is 1-4, the only win over Memphis in the 2015 Birmingham Bowl. There remains no word on when an agreement will be finalized.

Just how does he know all this?  Was he setting in the room when all these details were hammered out?  Got a personal inside informer? Did someone run to him and say, look, here is the offer that is going to be presented to Gus. Take it or leave it. I'm beginning to think that all this mess the last couple of days were run through the CNN fake news dept.  And 50, I know you just passed this along on the board. No offence. 

57 minutes ago, weagl1 said:

What if Gus really has his heart in the right place and he really thinks he can turn it around?  What if he thinks we didn’t think we got our money’s worth and he is trying to do the right thing by agreeing to the reduced buyout?  Most on this board want to think the worst about him but I for one think maybe he’s doing his best to make it right.  

I said basically the same thing in another thread a few weeks ago.  It didn't sit well with my fellow posters.

Archived