PM: Gus close to accepting changes to stay (merged threads)

aubiefifty

You need to put a link on these when you post them.

https://auburn.247sports.com/Article/Gus-Malzahn-close-to-accepting-changes-to-remain-at-Auburn-125449338/

AUBURN, Alabama – Though no agreement has been finalized and changes remain possible, Gus Malzahn is on the verge of accepting a reduced buyout and other limitations to remain for his seventh season as Auburn’s head football coach, sources told AuburnUndercover. Malzahn’s buyout, sources said, would be reduced by an unspecified amount. Any coaching staff moves would have to be revenue neutral, effectively removing the possibility of paying buyouts for assistant coaches and assuring Chip Lindsey would remain as offensive coordinator unless he chooses to leave. President Steven Leath laid out the offer in a Sunday meeting with Malzahn. Leath left Tuesday morning for a meeting in Washington, D.C., and, according to athletic department sources, left negotiations with Malzahn in the hands of trustee Raymond Harbert. Malzahn was on the road recruiting Monday night and left on another recruiting trip Tuesday morning. He is not expected to return until late Tuesday night. After Auburn beat Georgia and Alabama, when both were ranked No. 1 last November, Leath, with strong support from Harbert, reached an agreement with Malzahn on a seven-year contract worth $49 million with 75 percent guaranteed. Since then, Auburn has gone 7-7 overall and 4-7 against power-five conference teams. After starting this season ranked No. 8, Auburn finished 7-5 overall and 3-5 in the SEC, creating a firestorm among Auburn supporters and donors. To buy out Malzahn’s contract and make a change would cost approximately $32 million with some $15 million due in 30 days and the rest to be paid in four annual installments. Auburn coaches, sources said, have faced questions about Malzahn’s future on virtually every stop on the recruiting trail over the past two days. In six seasons at Auburn, Malzahn is 52-27 overall and 28-20 in the SEC. In 2013, his first Auburn team was 12-2 overall, 7-1 in the SEC, won the conference championship and lost 34-31 to Florida State in the BCS Championship team. His 2017 team went 10-2 in the regular season and won the West Division championship before losing 28-7 to Georgia in the SEC Championship Game and 34-27 to Central Florida in the Peach Bowl to finish 10-4. From 2014-2016, the combined record was 23-16 overall and 11-13 in the SEC. The Tigers finished 8-5 and 4-4 in 2014 after a 7-1 start, finished 7-6 and 2-6 in 2015 and 8-5 and 5-3 in 2016, losing to Oklahoma in the Sugar Bowl. Malzahn’s bowl record is 1-4, the only win over Memphis in the 2015 Birmingham Bowl. There remains no word on when an agreement will be finalized.

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What in the world ?? So accept a reduced buyout just to get fired after next year ? Chip remains ? This is like a giant ass soap opera on every level 

Just now, AUHighPlainsDrifter said:

Good idea. Phillip Marshall is the one "reporting" it. 

Even if not true, we sill need to fire Leath's ass for giving Gus that ridiculous contract. 

Just common sense tells you no. If you own a company would you hire a “manager” that has no authority to anyone “under him”?

This would be a monumental disaster. Basically tank recruiting and next season. I love AU, but the football program is embarrassing. 

Makes no sense.....guarantees another year of the same thing.....if Gus stays there need to be some serous staff changes...revenue neutral or not. JMO

Not sure I believe this...

they say gus is out recruiting so it does thatsound like a man that will lose his job in a day or three?

Just now, AU64 said:

Makes no sense.....guarantees another year of the same thing.....if Gus stays there need to be some serous staff changes...revenue neutral or not. JMO

I'm on the Not Smart Enough to Figure This One Out list, too.

This equates to a patient (Leath) offering a malpractice doctor (Gus) an opportunity to charge less for taking out the wrong organ, as long as he goes back and promises to get the right one...

Boggles the mind!!

1 minute ago, Swamp Eagle said:

I'm on the Not Smart Enough to Figure This One Out list, too.

This equates to a patient (Leath) offering a malpractice doctor (Gus) an opportunity to charge less for taking out the wrong organ, as long as he goes back and promises to get the right one...

Boggles the mind!!

i think leath is trying to save face. if gus is run off this year after the big new contract leath looks like an idiot. this is all i can figure in all this.

1 minute ago, aubiefifty said:

i think leath is trying to save face. if gus is run off this year after the big new contract leath looks like an idiot. this is all i can figure in all this.

That much is obvious. I also think it's sad that Gus would accept it. I really don't know what to think of it. I guess we'll know soon enough what the story is...it solves NOTHING.

Just now, AU64 said:

The only thing I see that makes somewhat sense is there was talk about Gus being told to look for other opportunities via CAA. Keep in mind, he would owe Auburn $7 million if he left on his own. Restructuring his contract could eliminate what he would owe. Also, with a firing, it's usually negative and coaches are out of work for a few years. Perhaps if he "peacefully" resigns and doesn't owe money, then it ends quietly for both and Gus continues to coach. It's a stretch but something I was thinking of that would save face in the public eye.

Archived