PM: Gus close to accepting changes to stay (merged threads)

aubiefifty

what is also troubling it seems it is just leath and one of the big money guys doing this and it would appear from others that greene is not even involved. it this is true just wow. let that one sink in a minute.

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So apparently Gus was given a lifetime supply of bumble bee tuna for at a minimum half of his buyout . Gus was happy and AU saved 16 million. 

JetGate’s Tommy Tuberville on Bob Stoops reports: ‘This is typical Auburn’

Updated 11:49 AM; Posted 11:49 AM

Former Auburn coach Tommy Tuberville, seen here as coach of Cincinnati, might have an idea of what Gus Malzahn is feeling these days after a report that representatives from Auburn have spoken to Bob Stoops about the head coaching position. (The Associated Press)

1.1k shares

By Mark Heim | mheim@al.com

mheim@al.com

If there is anyone who knows what it’s like to be Auburn coach Gus Malzahn this week, it’s Tommy Tuberville.

Reports Auburn “powerbrokers” met with former Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops, first reported by Josh Moon, bring back memories of the infamous JetGate.

The year was 2003, and after dropping three straight SEC games, then-Auburn booster Bobby Lowder, Auburn President William Walker and athletic director David Housel flew to Louisville to gauge then-Cardinals coach Bobby Petrino’s interest in the Auburn job. The meeting took place prior to the 2003 Alabama game, which Auburn won.

Fast forward to 2018 and now reports surface that representatives have reached out to Stoops, which the former Sooners coach denies.

Tuberville joined me and Lee Shirvanian during “The Opening Kickoff” on WNSP-FM 105.5 to discuss the headlines of the past 24 hours at Auburn.

“Unbelievable, isn’t it?” Tuberville asked.

He said he had heard three weeks ago that there “was someone” visiting Stoops, but said it was not a credible source. “It was just kind of rumor.”

That’s not to say he dismisses it.

“There’s problems in Auburn,” said Tuberville, who led the Tigers to an undefeated season in 2004. "There’s always been problems in Auburn. And, for some reason, they will continue to be problems in Auburn.

"That being said, the things I’m hearing out of Auburn is if they do pay Gus Malzahn $32 million (for a buyout), they want to have somebody in place that can settle the troops down.

“It’s a complete mess, to be honest with you. There are too many people up there trying to make a decision. Obviously, they don’t have a clue what they are doing.”

Tuberville isn’t necessarily bitter. He “survived the storm” as he put it, running off six straight wins against Alabama. Still, the week leading up to the 2003 Iron Bowl was no picnic. He has a pretty good idea what Malzahn is going through this week.

“You feel like you’re out on an island,” he explained. "There’s no boat. There’s no life preserver to get to a safe place. You’re just there. No one is talking to you. You have your assistants, but they’re out on the road. He probably doesn’t have anyone really talking to you.

“When I had my JetGate it was during the week of the Iron Bowl. I couldn’t get people I talked to 24 hours before on the phone or into their office. ... You’re closed out.”

Tuberville made it clear that he has no idea what the future holds for the Auburn head coaching position. He simply can relate. In addition, he isn’t sure who wants to step into the current situation on the Plains.

“I don’t know anyone out there that wants to get into this mess,” Tuberville said. "Do you think Bob Stoops wants to get into this mess? He dropped a better job than this.

“Jeff Brohm would be my first choice. He could get the job done. Is it good enough to catch the runaway train in Georgia and Alabama? No, because no one is going to catch them.”

Tuberville insists you don’t necessarily have to compete with Saban and Smart, you just have to make Auburn the best it can be.

“You want somebody to come in and run Auburn like it needs to be run,” he explained. "Get people on your side. Help raise money. Make Auburn the best you can make it. And, if you can beat the people you need to beat, then you beat them.

“You can’t beat them with everyone trying to add their own ingredient on how they think things ought to be run. You can’t do it.”

Mark Heim is a sports reporter for The Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Mark_Heim.

8 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

i think leath is trying to save face. if gus is run off this year after the big new contract leath looks like an idiot. this is all i can figure in all this.

This is exactly what I feared would happen- it would be all about Leath avoiding embarrassment at least for now. The problem even more than Gus is Leath. What a complete moron!

1 minute ago, ChltteTiger said:

This is exactly what I feared would happen- it would be all about Leath avoiding embarrassment at least for now. The problem even more than Gus is Leath. What a complete moron!

back up a post or two and read the tubs article...........just wow.

45 minutes ago, ToomersRevenge said:

This is worst case scenario on every front

i got a demerit for using a word that is not even profanity, so i am not even going to try to say what is flowing through this old mind, right now...i will say neither malzahn,AU or us deserve this clownshow to playout like it has....we can kiss the football program goodbye....thanks leath you fat,waterheaded *(*^#!%%^^^)(_)...we are now on the way to what iowa state used to be

19 minutes ago, TigerFanAU said:

The only thing I see that makes somewhat sense is there was talk about Gus being told to look for other opportunities via CAA. Keep in mind, he would owe Auburn $7 million if he left on his own. Restructuring his contract could eliminate what he would owe. Also, with a firing, it's usually negative and coaches are out of work for a few years. Perhaps if he "peacefully" resigns and doesn't owe money, then it ends quietly for both and Gus continues to coach. It's a stretch but something I was thinking of that would save face in the public eye.

I hope this is it.

I can not see any upside for Gus to accept this? Why would he just not say buy me out if you are not happy. 

He is under everyone's heat lamp and unless he can go 10-2 or better he will be gone next year. 

This is just a tug of war between the boosters and the president. It’s embarras and Gus is a dang fool if he signs off to this.

1 minute ago, DAG said:

This is just a tug of war between the boosters and the president. It’s embarras and Gus is a dang fool if he signs off to this.

I feel like I'm watching my sister's in laws have a spat on Facebook.  Geez, keep it down home, cuz.

8 minutes ago, ATOTiger said:

unless he can go 10-2 or better he will be gone next year. 

Gus will be gone next year

1 minute ago, DAG said:

on the bright side.....IF all this sinks in maybe gus gets the message and quits interfering with the other coaches. he would have to know he was fortunate. and as odd as it sounds i think gus really does love auburn or why give back the bucks? someone today called him an s.o.b  which is pretty classless in my opinion.

So in Leath's short time here:

He was pushing hard to get the best basketball coach we likely have ever had fired, which was overwhelmingly met with pushback by the fan base. 

Has pushed hard to avoid firing the mediocre ass head football coach in an attempt to not make him look stupider than he already looks...and there's nobody wanting this guy to come back except for a literal few. 

Is this guy working for AU or somebody else? Who sent him? 

I sincerely hope this is a play to make him look elsewhere. I get it - he's still recruiting, nothing is in stone yet. At the end of the day, NO ONE wants him here any longer. This horrible, horrible ride needs to end and it needs to end now. We are not going to see anything different in the next few years. The sooner we rip the band-aid off, the sooner we can begin to heal. 

If we are going to keep this up for the next year, and honestly it probably won't even last that long, then let's get the vote of confidence from the administration and move on. This can and will destroy the program for the foreseeable future and we will be digging our way out of a hole that will feel forever deep. 

Just now, aubiefifty said:

on the bright side.....IF all this sinks in maybe gus gets the message and quits interfering with the other coaches. he would have to know he was fortunate. and as odd as it sounds i think gus really does love auburn or why give back the bucks? someone today called him an s.o.b  which is pretty classless in my opinion.

Don't hold your breath on Gus seeing the light, Fif. 

Archived