PM: Gus close to accepting changes to stay (merged threads)

aubiefifty

I mean its not the worst case scenario. Worst case scenario would be no change and he is fired next year. This was we atleast save a little money before we fire him. 

Also, for those asking why Gus would do this? Maybe he actually thinks next year will be better? Not sure but thats the only reasoning i can come up with. 

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, aubiefifty said:

on the bright side.....IF all this sinks in maybe gus gets the message and quits interfering with the other coaches. he would have to know he was fortunate. and as odd as it sounds i think gus really does love auburn or why give back the bucks? someone today called him an s.o.b  which is pretty classless in my opinion.

Gus is not going to relinquish control. 

Just now, gravejd said:

Maybe he actually thinks next year will be better? Not sure but thats the only reasoning i can come up with. 

Gus does have a point. He still has Gatewood, his secret weapon. 

Just now, DAG said:

Gus is not going to relinquish control. 

one can hope. if we had the good gus we would be ok. but if all this does not make gus take notice then nothing will..............

20 minutes ago, ATOTiger said:

I can not see any upside for Gus to accept this? Why would he just not say buy me out if you are not happy. 

He is under everyone's heat lamp and unless he can go 10-2 or better he will be gone next year. 

Part of me thinks Gus wants to Prove to everyone that he can do this.  A lot of people on here talk about his stubbornness and arrogance. Proving people wrong may be more important than the money to him. Just a thought.

11 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

on the bright side.....IF all this sinks in maybe gus gets the message and quits interfering with the other coaches. he would have to know he was fortunate. and as odd as it sounds i think gus really does love auburn or why give back the bucks? someone today called him an s.o.b  which is pretty classless in my opinion.

All it means is Gus will be stubborn for less money. And to answer the question, "why give back the bucks?"...Where the heck else is he gonna go?

i wonder if anyone is not giving the cats that posted the stoops rumor hell? if they did not flat out lie they should reveal their sources or people should just ignore them. also what kind of hits are we taking on recruiting?

2 minutes ago, BJCrawford said:

Part of me thinks Gus wants to Prove to everyone that he can do this.  A lot of people on here talk about his stubbornness and arrogance. Proving people wrong may be more important than the money to him. Just a thought.

I wonder since Gus donated 2 million to FO facility and since there is no buyout this year, if we can go ahead with the construction now. 

Okay seriously. I used to work in academia, and some of you guys are completely off base. If you are going to hate Leath, do so because of his direction of university research and academics. If Leath gets fired, it will have to be for an academic reason. Football makes up 1/10000 of the responsibilities of a university president. 

I doubt Leath knows much about athletics or running an athletic department.  Most academics give zero f***s about sports. The decision to extend Gus’s contract had to be made by Leath because fans rabidly called for Jay Jacobs’s job, and an outgoing AD with a reason to be angry could not be trusted with the decision. So... Yes, he signed the contract. Regardless of how much you want Gus gone, a president can’t and shouldn’t be fired for that.

Perhaps Gus will take less money, become the CEO he was supposed to be and let an established OC take over and give the extra money to him....

I almost finished writing that without laughing.

I’m trying hard to think of another organization, of any kind, that would consider this as a workable solution. I can’t. Because no serious and competent leader in their right mind, would think the way our leaders think. Un-frickin-real. 

If any of this is true, which is almost as doubtful as us contacting stoops, the only reason Gus would EVER sign off on it is because the first contract was indeed not valid. Other that that he would be an idiot to sign anything unless he truly just loves auburn and wants to try and win. 

Can’t wait to hear what come out in the next hour or two. The way this is going we are going to have blood contracts signed by parties at voodoo wings. 

4 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Fire him now and that 100,000 to the Hugh Freeze contract.

It Gus would stay out of his way, Chip could be a really good OC. He was quite competent at Southern Miss and Arizona State. 

Just now, Gowebb11 said:

It Gus would stay out of his way, Chip could be a really good OC. He was quite competent at Southern Miss and Arizona State. 

i agree

I’d walk out with both birds flying high.

Basically, you’re gonna handcuff me, all but tell me I’m fired next year, and I take less money. Then lack the fortitude to stick it out and work this out...

AU was dumb enough to offer the contract and Gus was/is smart enough to accept.

And where is the ATHLETIC DIRECTOR while things under his umbrella are being negotiated? He’s handcuffed too.

Same ol same ol. Giving power to the money, not the ones you hired to do a job.

4 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

Okay seriously. I used to work in academia, and some of you guys are completely off base. If you are going to hate Leath, do so because of his direction of university research and academics. If Leath gets fired, it will have to be for an academic reason. Football makes up 1/10000 of the responsibilities of a university president. 

I doubt Leath knows much about athletics or running an athletic department.  Most academics give zero f***s about sports. The decision to extend Gus’s contract had to be made by Leath because fans rabidly called for Jay Jacobs’s job, and an outgoing AD with a reason to be angry could not be trusted with the decision. So... Yes, he signed the contract. Regardless of how much you want Gus gone, a president can’t and shouldn’t be fired for that.

Man you've done it all

If this is Learth’s attempt to save face.....it ain’t working. If true, the only thing good about this scenario is that it confirms the rumor from another thread....the one about Gus having no sack.

I’m going ahead and calling for  your Auburn Tigers to be the 2019-2020 CFP National Champs.  JABA as hard and fast as possible 

What if Gus really has his heart in the right place and he really thinks he can turn it around?  What if he thinks we didn’t think we got our money’s worth and he is trying to do the right thing by agreeing to the reduced buyout?  Most on this board want to think the worst about him but I for one think maybe he’s doing his best to make it right.  

3 minutes ago, weagl1 said:

What if Gus really has his heart in the right place and he really thinks he can turn it around?  What if he thinks we didn’t think we got our money’s worth and he is trying to do the right thing by agreeing to the reduced buyout?  Most on this board want to think the worst about him but I for one think maybe he’s doing his best to make it right.  

i believe that as well. if he is retained i will continue to pull for my tigers unlike some on here. my problem is he has been here six years and it has not happened yet. i cannot imagine how hard it is to coach scared for your job.

Archived