Alliance of American Football

BigSammyK

11 minutes ago, AU64 said:

That's the likely answer.  Can see that by end of the season with attendance of 15,000 per game that money might be an issue but now?   Then again in our little tourist oriented town I see people opening various shops or cafes and go out of business in a year or less. The dreams outweigh logic and calculation I guess. 

I don't know much but I'd think they would have enough money in the bank or line of credit to pay all expected first year expenses including stadium rental ….even if  the season ticket sales were zero. 

The thing is, players salaries can't be much and squad sizes are smaller than NFL and no superstar salaries.  Almost none of them had a job playing football anywhere before they were hired by the league are likely making peanuts ….just to get the opportunity to show what they can do and maybe get back to the NFL.

https://heavy.com/sports/2019/02/aaf-salary-contract-players-money-coaches/

Rosters are 53, which is the same as the nfl for game day, but minus the practice squad players, etc. All players signed 3 year/ $250,000 contracts, not guaranteed. That’s still a chunk of change just in player salaries per week for a start up company. I agree 100% on the line of credit, that is something you think an entity like this would be able to do. I also think we are on the same page that financial planning of this was not good at all. Like I said before, I think they just wanted to put it out there, hoping a big time investor would be intrigued enough to put a massive amount of money into the AAF.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Auburn Kev said:

That’s not overly surprising. I think the reboot of the xfl has a chance to survive just because of McMahon’s money but I never really had much confidence in this leagues survival. 

I wish they could have finished the season at least. 

On ‎4‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 3:19 PM, aubearcat said:

That’s not overly surprising. I think the reboot of the xfl has a chance to survive just because of McMahon’s money but I never really had much confidence in this leagues survival. 

I did not know what to expect but when the season was a few weeks old and they were still looking for a rich guy needing a new hobby,  the handwriting was pretty much on the wall.   It was kind of fun but only watched two games....and then AU's drive to the Final Four became my major interest. 

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

I did not know what to expect but when the season was a few weeks old and they were still looking for a rich guy needing a new hobby,  the handwriting was pretty much on the wall.   It was kind of fun but only watched two games....and then AU's drive to the Final Four became my major interest. 

I thought I would watch more but like you said we were heading for history. I think CBS should have carried more games for this to have been successful. 

Having lived in Birmingham for many years I saw the WFL, USFL, WLAF, CFL (expansion), and XFL all fail. Just wasn't excited about another minor league football team. I watch half of two different Iron games and the offense would put you to sleep. The WFL and USFL were more popular I think because they existed at a time when the television wasn't inundated with football on Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday. There's just so much football for 4+ months that anything subpar is not going to make it long. 

11 hours ago, gr82be said:

Having lived in Birmingham for many years I saw the WFL, USFL, WLAF, CFL (expansion), and XFL all fail. Just wasn't excited about another minor league football team. I watch half of two different Iron games and the offense would put you to sleep. The WFL and USFL were more popular I think because they existed at a time when the television wasn't inundated with football on Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday. There's just so much football for 4+ months that anything subpar is not going to make it long. 

This was made for TV...a sports reality show, albeit an expensive one....but never had much fan support from the start.  

On ‎4‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 8:59 PM, AUBwins said:

I thought I would watch more but like you said we were heading for history. I think CBS should have carried more games for this to have been successful. 

Scam is what is sounds like....saw the piece from B'ham officials where they were told the league had minimum of a couple years operating expense money.  Sounds as if the big name coaches like Spurrier got their money up front leaving little behind for the players and staff.   Not blaming them, but whoever put that house of cards together was apparently counting on those coaches to lend an air of legitimacy to the venture. 

Archived