Lindsey has ties to Tennessee

aubiefifty

Chip Lindsey has ties with UT beyond Pruitt

KNOXVILLE – Tennessee’s coaching search reaches day No. 3 to fill the vacancy offensive coordinator Tyson Helton leaves behind as he takes over as Western Kentucky’s head coach.

As mentioned on the first day of the coaching search, candidates that had interest in Tennessee, or Jeremy Pruitt was open to ideas of bringing certain people in, remain intact.

Vols Wire reported on the search’s first day that Gus Malzahn would like to keep Auburn offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey on staff.

On the search’s second day, Vols Wire learned that Lindsey is very interested in the Tennessee job, but wants to see what transpires at Auburn.

It appears if Malzahn will stay on as head coach at Auburn for the 2019 season, he will give up some of his power.

Lindsey’s contract includes a $100,000 retention bonus following a completion of each regular season, which includes the date of the SEC championship game date. That date falls on this Saturday.

Sources have told Vols Wire on the third day of the coaching search, that if Lindsey remains on Auburn’s staff in 2019, that he “would be nothing more than an assistant with an offensive coordinator title.”

Lindsey has a decision to make in whether or not he wants to remain at Auburn or explore an option that includes taking a position on Tennessee’s staff, a job that Vols Wire has been told that he has interest in.

Lindsey’s Auburn contract that was written on Jan. 20, 2017, reads the following:

That all notices, claims, requests, demands and other communications under the Agreement shall be made in writing and shall be deemed given hand-delivered, emailed, or overnight mailed, either effective upon receipt as follows to:

George R. Lindsey, with a copy to Clint Dowdle of CAA Sports, to Auburn athletics director Jay Jacobs and also with a copy to President Dr. G. Jay Gogue and Genral Counsel Lee F. Armstrong.

Dowdle has a Tennessee background, with a Masters in Sports Management from UT (2005-07) and serving as UT’s Assistant Director of Football Operations (May 2006-Jan. 2009).

Dowdle has been with Creative Artists Agency (CAA) since June 2016.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, DAG said:

Lindsey would be a fool to star but doesn’t it affect Gus’s pockets if he leaves ?

i am so confused dag i have no idea.

Just now, augolf1716 said:

Chip wants out one way or the other

do you think chip would be able to run HIS "o" at tennessee golf?

5 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Chip wants out one way or the other

...and for the sake of his career, he should. Personally, I like him a lot and want to see what he's capable of doing in a big time program other than Auburn. 

9 minutes ago, DAG said:

Lindsey would be a fool to stay but doesn’t it affect Gus’s pockets if he leaves ?

Not if he takes another job. If Gus fires him he has to pay the buyout and anything above what Lindsey is making right now for the replacement would come out of his pocket. So say Freeze was hired, and wanted 2 million for the season, Gus would have to make up the difference from what chip is currently making. 

Is how I understand it.

8 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

do you think chip would be able to run HIS "o" at tennessee golf?

So...wait... UT wants Chip as their GOLF coach?

:poke: 

:cheers:

Just now, Auburn2Eugene said:

Not if he takes another job. If Gus fires him he has to pay the buyout and anything above what Lindsey is making right now for the replacement would come out of his pocket. So say Freeze was hired, and wanted 2 million for the season, Gus would have to make up the difference from what chip is currently making. 

Is how I understand it.

Ahh thanks !

Just now, PowerOfDixieland said:

But he'd have to work for Pruitt.  Talk about being between a rock and hard place....Gus or Jeremy?

Pruitt is one of those guys I feel like would be great to work with while things are going well, and a nightmare when they aren't. 

Just now, Barnacle said:

Pruitt is one of those guys I feel like would be great to work with while things are going well, and a nightmare when they aren't. 

My guess too, is he might be a mirror image of Gus.  Chip could be UT's Coach Steele.  But, I don't follow them close enough to know how Pruitt really runs things.

Either way, Chip probably will wait til Sunday so his $100K retainer kicks in.

1 minute ago, AURealist said:

Chip should stay for the $100k and leave.   Leaving has nothing to do with Gus' pockets.  Only a firing does. (I think.)

That's what he will most likely do. Its what I would do if I were him.

25 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

Chip Lindsey has ties with UT beyond Pruitt

103 shares

tweet

email

By: Dan Harralson |

KNOXVILLE –

Sources have told Vols Wire on the third day of the coaching search, that if Lindsey remains on Auburn’s staff in 2019, that he “would be nothing more than an assistant with an offensive coordinator title.”

Just so everyone knows what to expect next season at AU.

Chip is a good OC.  I'm afraid the longer he has to work under Malzahn's constraints, the lesser he'll be thought of by his peers.

4 minutes ago, AURealist said:

Just so everyone knows what to expect next season at AU.

Wait...so, he wasn't the true OC this past season?

Wish someone would have told me the offense looked just like it's looked the last 4 years...

If Chip goes and if Gus stays then make Gus be the play caller and OC. Make him earn that check and prove if he's a genius at running an effective offense.

Just now, AUsince72 said:

Wait...so, he wasn't the true OC this past season?

Wish someone would have told me the offense looked just like it's looked the last 4 years...

Just fair warning not to expect a change of offense no matter who we get.

29 minutes ago, DAG said:

Lindsey would be a fool to stay but doesn’t it affect Gus’s pockets if he leaves ?

My understanding is: if he’s fired, it’s on Gus, if he leaves voluntarily, it isn’t.

I believe CCL said he didn’t want to coach for an Offensive minded coach again.  Pruitt is a Defensive coach, so I could see CCL would be interested even though it maybe less pay.

2 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

My understanding is: if he’s fired, it’s on Gus, if he leaves voluntarily, it isn’t.

I can't say for sure either but this is how I understood it as well.

Also, you're two posts from 7,000! Make it a special post lol.

Archived