Lindsey has ties to Tennessee

aubiefifty

3 minutes ago, AURealist said:

Just fair warning not to expect a change of offense no matter who we get.

I appreciate it.  Phew....my apathy is safe.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Zeek said:

If Chip goes and if Gus stays then make Gus be the play caller and OC. Make him earn that check and prove if he's a genius at running an effective offense.

Yeah that would answer a lot of questions . That’s what his loyalist seem to want anyhow. Put your money where your mouth is.

Just now, DAG said:

Yeah that would answer a lot of questions . That’s what his loyalist seem to want anyhow. Put your money where your mouth is.

Actually many of us who are tired of Gus wouldn't mind it since he appears to be staying anyway.

C'mon Gus!  Feed me some Crow! I'll happily eat it with dressing & gravy if you do!!!

8 minutes ago, Zeek said:

If Chip goes and if Gus stays then make Gus be the play caller and OC. Make him earn that check and prove if he's a genius at running an effective offense.

If Gus stays, I would actually feel better if this happened. Gus can run an offense, Chip can run an offense, but Gus can't run a Chip hybrid and Chip can't run a Gus hybrid.

2 minutes ago, Swamp Eagle said:

If Gus stays, I would actually feel better if this happened. Gus can run an offense, Chip can run an offense, but Gus can't run a Chip hybrid and Chip can't run a Gus hybrid.

It would just be the ultimate "put up or shut up" I think this is what should happen. Don't even hire a pretend "OC". It's all Gus.

Then, if the offense soars he gains some respect.

If the offense still blows then there is absolutely no reason to keep Gus around.

16 minutes ago, AURealist said:

Just fair warning not to expect a change of offense no matter who we get.

If the scenario is that Gus will serve as his own OC...I'm not so sure I agree with this. Gus did a helluva job in 2009 and 2010 with two different types of QB's. Then Gene meddled with the O, wanting to do more Pro-style, and got his ass run off a couple of years later (which is why you would think Gus would have learned from to NOT meddle). When Gus has his O with autonomy, he's pretty effective. It's the meshing with others where his doesn't do so well.

I'll add; he DOES need a DTQB to have the best success.

We may see...

9 minutes ago, Zeek said:

I can't say for sure either but this is how I understood it as well.

Also, you're two posts from 7,000! Make it a special post lol.

Thanks, only one to go! Now I have to wait until a decision is made on Gus, so that will be my 7,000 post.

2 minutes ago, Zeek said:

It would just be the ultimate "put up or shut up" I think this is what should happen. Don't even hire a pretend "OC". It's all Gus.

If the offense still blows then there is absolutely no reason to keep Gus around.

Exactly.

3 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Wish that was part of this re-negotiation....

Dan Enos made 200k this year, will make 250k next, and 850k after that.  Let Chip go and offer Enos 500k next year and 1 million the year after that.  Enos’s only responsibility will be coaching Qbs and recruiting.  Gus runs everything else.

6 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

Thanks, only one to go! Now I have to wait until a decision is made on Gus, so that will be my 7,000 post.

Oh no...it could be a stinker!! ;D

5 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Dan Enos made 200k this year, will make 250k next, and 850k after that.  Let Chip go and offer Enos 500k next year and 1 million the year after that.  Enos’s only responsibility will be coaching Qbs and recruiting.  Gus runs everything else.

Dan Enos would be a good get but I also think he is smart enough not to jump aboard this mess.

50 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

My guess too, is he might be a mirror image of Gus.  Chip could be UT's Coach Steele.  But, I don't follow them close enough to know how Pruitt really runs things.

Either way, Chip probably will wait til Sunday so his $100K retainer kicks in.

I can personally guarantee that JP is not a mirror image of Gus. I've never met Gus, so I can't 100% say what his stubborn level is, but I know it's higher than Pruitt's. 

9 minutes ago, auburntiger1987 said:

I'd leave for UT in a heart beat given the chance. 100k would be nice to have as a bonus and then leave, but UT could easily pay Chip enough to not wait around.

Their expectations are low too

2 minutes ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

I can personally guarantee that JP is not a mirror image of Gus. I've never met Gus, so I can't 100% say what his stubborn level is, but I know it's higher than Pruitt's. 

You think Pruitt's a meddler in the Offense then?  Gus seems to leave the D alone.  That was the point of my thought/hope for Chip.

I don't know, just hoping for Chip's sake.  I think he's actually got potential to be really good based on his results prior to being under Gus' thumb.

15 minutes ago, JDUBB4AU said:

Can we just shut the program down for a few years and focus solely on equestrian?

Basketball, Golf, Baseball, Softball, Equestrian...Soccer. That's the ticket in Auburn right now. Gymnastics might jump back up this season. 

1 hour ago, Barnacle said:

Pruitt is one of those guys I feel like would be great to work with while things are going well, and a nightmare when they aren't. 

Play for too. His “if you want to start right away, come to UT” comments on TV basically calls everyone on that team garbage. 

Its one thing to say that sitting around the table talking to a specific recruit and his family, but on TV is a little different.

54 minutes ago, Zeek said:

NO NO NO!

Why would you want to go back to the original Gus'? Isn't that what started failing as the good teams adapted and Gus' couldn't readjust his offense? So why in heavens name would we want to go back to that?

There has to be a better option...even if we are not letting Gus go.

1 hour ago, augolf1716 said:

Chip wants out one way or the other

This. I think Chip will be leaving but is smart enough to wait until after Saturday so that he can collect that $100k.

42 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

There has to be a better option...even if we are not letting Gus go

If we are retaining Gus as a dead-man-walking coach there's no point. We will effectively have a situation where AU football is in purgatory. It would be hard to create a situation that would result in more apathy in a fanbase than this

By giving up Gus' power, does this mean that whoever is OC will be given latitude to run his offense while Gus actually has to be a CEO and can stand out of the way? I just cannot see Gus being back as anything but a festering sore that needs to be dealt with and let go.  The way it sounds Gus may be hand tied in ways that will make 2019 a season much like 2012.  

In ways I feel bad for Gus if they are tying his hands to the point of suffocation that will only produce very bad results. 

1 hour ago, Swamp Eagle said:

If the scenario is that Gus will serve as his own OC...I'm not so sure I agree with this. Gus did a helluva job in 2009 and 2010 with two different types of QB's. Then Gene meddled with the O, wanting to do more Pro-style, and got his ass run off a couple of years later (which is why you would think Gus would have learned from to NOT meddle). When Gus has his O with autonomy, he's pretty effective. It's the meshing with others where his doesn't do so well.

I'll add; he DOES need a DTQB to have the best success.

We may see...

I am glad you mentioned that Gus needs a DT/QB. He needs to do whatever it takes to get Bryant here for 2019.  If Gus wants to right the ship and it is going to be a near Titanic proportion ship that is at the point if it can make a hard right turn, it could avoid the iceberg of a terrible season and a dumpster fire at our beloved school, he needs to be a fierce river boat gambler willing to put the pedal to the metal all 4 quarters of every game in 2019.

The other alternative of which I think most of us agree though is for Leath and Harbert to pony up and let Gus ride off in the sunset. This possibly could still happen, but who knows folks. Drama that needs to end asap one way or another.

Archived