Lindsey has ties to Tennessee

aubiefifty

1 hour ago, The Plainsman said:

That would open the door nicely for Freeze. 

If what is being said is true, wasn’t it reported that there will be hiring and salary restrictions which effectively kills the possibility of Freeze?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, PigskinPat said:

If what is being said is true, wasn’t it reported that there will be hiring and salary restrictions which effectively kills the possibility of Freeze?

If Chip leaves, Freeze can have his salary.  Freeze gets back into SEC football, if that's what he wants.

34 minutes ago, AURealist said:

If Chip leaves, Freeze can have his salary.  Freeze gets back into SEC football, if that's what he wants.

Or if he wants more, Gus can pay it out of his pocket. He has deep ones, so hiring Freeze wouldn't be out of the question.

With Gus as Dead Man Walking HC, who in their right mind would come here as OC?

He may have no choice but to be his own OC.

20 minutes ago, AUGoo said:

With Gus as Dead Man Walking HC, who in their right mind would come here as OC?

He may have no choice but to be his own OC.

Not sure if the PTB will revise the revised contract to give Gus a little more control on hiring an OC once Chip leaves on Sunday, but since Freeze is already in Exile, he'd probably be the only one TO come to Auburn at this point.

2 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

You think Pruitt's a meddler in the Offense then?  Gus seems to leave the D alone.  That was the point of my thought/hope for Chip.

I don't know, just hoping for Chip's sake.  I think he's actually got potential to be really good based on his results prior to being under Gus' thumb.

I think (don't know) that he'd like to have an offense that can pound the ball and suffocate the other team, keeping his defense fresh. I don't think he will hire Chip, but I also don't think that he would meddle on offense that much. He is a quarterback though, so who knows. 

1 minute ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

I think (don't know) that he'd like to have an offense that can pound the ball and suffocate the other team, keeping his defense fresh. I don't think he will hire Chip, but I also don't think that he would meddle on offense that much. He is a quarterback though, so who knows. 

You may be right, that he won't/wouldn't hire Chip but Chip's offenses were actually fairly balanced before AU.  The run game actually was similar to Gus' anyway...the problem has been that Chip seemed to at least have a fairly nice passing game to go with it (whereas the assumption is that is what Gus has stifled more than anything).

Now....true, if Pruitt wants a 2013 style Nick Saban (or Les Miles) offense...which was basically just good, old fashioned 3 yards and a cloud of dust...then no, he wouldn't want Chip.  I'm actually not sure WHO would be a current OC running that kind of offense unless he wants to look at Army, Navy or Air Force (although Army seems to be now evolving a bit).  However, I believe Chip would not be a bad choice for him.  Probably fairly inexpensive too, just to get out of Auburn, so win/win for both of them.

I think it's obvious that Gus wants full control of the offense. To live or die by his offensive plans. It's my hope that Gus is looking to move back towards offenses akin to the 2013 / 2014 teams. Duel threat heavier emphasis on the run game. If we actually have or get a qb that fits that mold I would be okay with that approach. especially sense its now apparent we are stuck with Gus for another year.

24 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

He is gone. He wants to force Gus' hand. It's complicated. Mostly about $, but some about what's transpired.

I really want more details on this :)   

Just now, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Freeze isn’t going to be hired by AU. 

So Gus is going to be his own OC.  Good.

3 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I still don’t think Gus is AU’s Coach next year. 

C'mon man.  You're teasing me again!  

giphy.gif

6 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

Y'all don't talk up Chip too much--they'll give him a 100 million dollar buyout

Again, outta likes so: 👏

37 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

You may be right, that he won't/wouldn't hire Chip but Chip's offenses were actually fairly balanced before AU.  The run game actually was similar to Gus' anyway...the problem has been that Chip seemed to at least have a fairly nice passing game to go with it (whereas the assumption is that is what Gus has stifled more than anything).

Now....true, if Pruitt wants a 2013 style Nick Saban (or Les Miles) offense...which was basically just good, old fashioned 3 yards and a cloud of dust...then no, he wouldn't want Chip.  I'm actually not sure WHO would be a current OC running that kind of offense unless he wants to look at Army, Navy or Air Force (although Army seems to be now evolving a bit).  However, I believe Chip would not be a bad choice for him.  Probably fairly inexpensive too, just to get out of Auburn, so win/win for both of them.

I know this point has been made so many times, but man I'd like to see Chip run his entire offense. 

You need to boost your contract while their handing money out.

15 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

Y'all don't talk up Chip too much--they'll give him a 100 million dollar buyout

3 minutes ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

I know this point has been made so many times, but man I'd like to see Chip run his entire offense. 

100% in agreement.  I think it could have been VERY good at Auburn.  I, for one, was actually pretty happy with the hire after seeing what he had done before.

Oh well.... 

For the first time in his career as a college coach, Jeremy Pruitt has no bowl game to prepare for. Much of Pruitt’s newfound free time has been spent searching for a new offensive coordinator after Tyson Helton left to become the head coach at Western Kentucky.

Sources told FootballScoop that Jeremy Pruitt’s top two candidates at this time are Auburn offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey and NC State offensive coordinator Eli Drinkwitz. We understand both are interested in the position.

Lindsey is a source of fascination not just because he’s a sitting coordinator at an SEC rival, but because Auburn officials are reportedly working to re-work Gus Malzahn’s contract to force him to retain Lindsey for a third season on the Plains. Like Pruitt, Lindsey is also a former Alabama high school coach — a period that runs parallel to Pruitt’s — working at seven different programs within the state (plus one in Georgia) before joining the college game full-time as an offensive analyst on Malzahn’s first Auburn team in 2013.

Lindsey served as the offensive coordinator at Southern Miss and Arizona State before returning to Auburn in 2017.

By Zach Barnett -

Drinkwitz is in his third year at NC State and also has a connection with Malzahn after working under him as a quality control assistant at Auburn in 2010-11 and as his running backs coach at Arkansas State in 2012. After Malzahn left for Auburn ahead of the 2013 season, Drinkwitz remained behind at Arkansas State under Bryan Harsin in 2013, then worked with him for two seasons at Boise State, first as tight ends coach and then as offensive coordinator.

Like Pruitt and Lindsey, Drinkwitz also got his start in the high school ranks, spending five years at two Arkansas high schools.

Other candidates could emerge as the search develops, and Pruitt could turn to an internal candidate should he not find the right match externally, sources said.

20 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

For the first time in his career as a college coach, Jeremy Pruitt has no bowl game to prepare for. Much of Pruitt’s newfound free time has been spent searching for a new offensive coordinator after Tyson Helton left to become the head coach at Western Kentucky.

Sources told FootballScoop that Jeremy Pruitt’s top two candidates at this time are Auburn offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey and NC State offensive coordinator Eli Drinkwitz. We understand both are interested in the position.

Lindsey is a source of fascination not just because he’s a sitting coordinator at an SEC rival, but because Auburn officials are reportedly working to re-work Gus Malzahn’s contract to force him to retain Lindsey for a third season on the Plains. Like Pruitt, Lindsey is also a former Alabama high school coach — a period that runs parallel to Pruitt’s — working at seven different programs within the state (plus one in Georgia) before joining the college game full-time as an offensive analyst on Malzahn’s first Auburn team in 2013.

Lindsey served as the offensive coordinator at Southern Miss and Arizona State before returning to Auburn in 2017.

By Zach Barnett -

Drinkwitz is in his third year at NC State and also has a connection with Malzahn after working under him as a quality control assistant at Auburn in 2010-11 and as his running backs coach at Arkansas State in 2012. After Malzahn left for Auburn ahead of the 2013 season, Drinkwitz remained behind at Arkansas State under Bryan Harsin in 2013, then worked with him for two seasons at Boise State, first as tight ends coach and then as offensive coordinator.

Like Pruitt and Lindsey, Drinkwitz also got his start in the high school ranks, spending five years at two Arkansas high schools.

Other candidates could emerge as the search develops, and Pruitt could turn to an internal candidate should he not find the right match externally, sources said.

Wow.  A battle between 2 members from Gus' coaching shrub.  Good for you, Tennessee!  And we were just speaking today of how you were becoming less of a mess than Auburn...

2 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I still don’t think Gus is AU’s Coach next year. 

I agree.  I think the burning embers are going to turn into molten lava, either Friday or Saturday to steal some of the glamor of the SECCG.

Archived