Pac 12 Championship Game

Tigerbelle

ROUSING crowd guys!!! I think everyone is hyped for this one! lol

Man, I love watching Utah's aggressive D.   Line and LBs working together, good arms and feet.  Good body movement. Very well coached.

2 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

I can't get over the small crowd.....

These teams are playing for pride, but have no chance to go further.  When there was no playoff, everybody could lay claim at least some sliver of glory, especially if they crushed their bowl game.  Now, you're a contender or you're a nobody.  

I have a friend that is a Washington grad/fan... he's pretty stoked about the opportunity to play in the Rose Bowl.  

What if you held a championship game and nobody came?    

Fans would have to travel for both teams (and a bit of a distance) but there should be more folks there....and Rose Bowl on the line which does mean something  $$$$$ if nothing else.

If it were a regular season game the fans would be there in good numbers.....so looks like the perception is that the game means less than a regular season game which is being played in order to win the conference title and get to the Rose Bowl.    

JMO but a big embarrassment for the Pac 12.....should make good negative recruiting fodder for any school trying to get a top player from out there. 

12 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

ROUSING crowd guys!!! I think everyone is hyped for this one! lol

Hard to look at that pic and believe what was being argued on this site about college football never being healthier or more popular. Declining attendance at games is happening everywhere and the saturation of exposure on TV, ridiculous money being paid to coaches, etc. just make it hard for me to not believe we must be close to a breaking point. That pic brings it into sharp relief. Meh, what do I know though.

47 minutes ago, fredst said:

Hard to look at that pic and believe what was being argued on this site about college football never being healthier or more popular. Declining attendance at games is happening everywhere and the saturation of exposure on TV, ridiculous money being paid to coaches, etc. just make it hard for me to believe we must be close to a breaking point. That pic brings it into sharp relief. Meh, what do I know though.

USCw ruined the PAC 12 because it was the dominant program for too long and it got the best of everything the conference had to give.. Now it has no premier football programs at all and it's a pretty weak conference. The SEC is in the process of becoming the same type of  watered-down conference because bammer is sucking the life out of it while the NCAA looks the other way. As a whole the SEC has become much less competitive and it will only get worse. 

2 hours ago, around4ever said:

Utah got totally hosed on the final play.  It was an obvious DPI and was not called.  

Reminiscent of the no-call on Deion Sanders against Freddy Weygand to end the 1989 Sugar Bowl.

14 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

Reminiscent of the no-call on Deion Sanders against Freddy Weygand to end the 1989 Sugar Bowl.

The end was Sanders intercepting the pass meant for Lawyer Tillman. Maybe you are thinking of the no call on the PI when Dedrick Dodge shoved Freddy Weygand's head/helmet down a split second before the ball arrived?

6 hours ago, CleCoTiger said:

The end was Sanders intercepting the pass meant for Lawyer Tillman. Maybe you are thinking of the no call on the PI when Dedrick Dodge shoved Freddy Weygand's head/helmet down a split second before the ball arrived?

Yes, that's the play, but I misremembered it as Sanders.  Thanks.

I remember some big plays and players names related to AU games wins and losses but not the level you do. Good memory!

Sanders was a top DB and there was no point in throwing that pass anywhere near him.  I guess Dye wanted to challenge him or something but talk about bad calls…..was watching the game and could not believe we gave Sanders a chance to be involved at a critical moment.  A game we could have and should have won....back in the day... Folks talk about Gus being hard headed...….JMO but he was nothing compared to Dye..

10 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Sanders was a top DB and there was no point in throwing that pass anywhere near him.  I guess Dye wanted to challenge him or something but talk about bad calls…..was watching the game and could not believe we gave Sanders a chance to be involved at a critical moment.  A game we could have and should have won....back in the day... Folks talk about Gus being hard headed...….JMO but he was nothing compared to Dye..

Dye did make questionable calls over his career at Auburn, true.  Taking the tie against Syracuse in the Sugar Bowl was...ugh.  But it's rare (in fact I can't think of any) that he would have entire gameplans where fans said "what?!" and not too many people have ever accused Dye of having a play sheet and calling plays.  To compare Gus to Dye....you may as well compare Tater Tot to Saban.

8 hours ago, CleCoTiger said:

And IIRC, Sanders ran alone the Auburn sidelines after that interception taunting the Auburn team.  Obviously, there was no taunting penalty back then.

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

... Folks talk about Gus being hard headed...…...

Does every thread have to end up talking about Gus’ faults?  It get so annoying. :poke:

On 11/30/2018 at 10:36 PM, fredst said:

Hard to look at that pic and believe what was being argued on this site about college football never being healthier or more popular. Declining attendance at games is happening everywhere and the saturation of exposure on TV, ridiculous money being paid to coaches, etc. just make it hard for me to not believe we must be close to a breaking point. That pic brings it into sharp relief. Meh, what do I know though.

Apparently the Utah side was packed.  The game was on Friday!  Navigating Silicon Valley on a Friday just plain sucks.   Total Attendance was 35,134.   68,500 capacity

834 Miles for UW

766 for Utah 

Both 12hr plus drives.

In case you are keeping track Bama 201 miles from MB Stadium.

Tickets for $10

I bet hotel prices are the deterrent $300+ average you can snag some cheaper but the quality drops over after $300.   I don't see a lot of people dropping $1000+ to go see this game even if the tickets are $10.  I would save my money for the Rose Bowl when I have time off and make a family vacation out of it.  

TAMu 822...

21 minutes ago, eibua12 said:

Apparently the Utah side was packed.  The game was on Friday!  Navigating Silicon Valley on a Friday just plain sucks.   Total Attendance was 35,134.   68,500 capacity

834 Miles for UW

766 for Utah 

Both 12hr plus drives.

In case you are keeping track Bama 201 miles from MB Stadium.

Tickets for $10

I bet hotel prices are the deterrent $300+ average you can snag some cheaper but the quality drops over after $300.   I don't see a lot of people dropping $1000+ to go see this game even if the tickets are $10.  I would save my money for the Rose Bowl when I have time off and make a family vacation out of it.  

TAMu 822...

Good observations.....but none the less, the game lacked energy.....even on the field where the boring play did nothing to give young men the dream of playing their college ball in the Pac 12.   Plus that was as bad a matchup as could have been imagined..

I think the issue was not college football in general, but mostly it was about the Pac12 and the poor leadership and declining quality of the football programs. The status of the conference's major sports makes Bill Walton's frequent comment....."Pac 12  Conference of Champions"  sound even more ridiculous though perhaps mellow Bill is still reminiscing about the good old days.

Archived