Season Long Bracketology Thread

ellitor

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.bracketmatrix.com/

Bracket matrix currently has AU as a 2 seed as well. Of note also is that they don't have either Washington or Xavier in the tourney. Arizona and NCST are both projected in though. Hopefully both Washington and Xavier improve over the season to help AU's resume. Not worried about though as AU still has plenty of opportunities for more quality wins against tourney teams once SEC play starts

Haven't seen Alabama projected in the tourney in any brackets yet. So that's nice too

7 minutes ago, Gene Loblaw said:

http://www.bracketmatrix.com/

Bracket matrix currently has AU as a 2 seed as well. Of note also is that they don't have either Washington or Xavier in the tourney. Arizona and NCST are both projected in though. Hopefully both Washington and Xavier improve over the season to help AU's resume. Not worried about though as AU still has plenty of opportunities for more quality wins against tourney teams once SEC play starts

Haven't seen Alabama projected in the tourney in any brackets yet. So that's nice too

FWIW, three sites used in Bracketmatrix's spread sheet have AU as a 1 seed. One has them as the number one overall seed. And no site has AU any lower than a 4. Damn, it feels good to be approaching blue blood status here gang

3 hours ago, Gene Loblaw said:

approaching blue blood status here gang

We'd have to be an upper level team for a number of years to be approaching blue blood status. It feels good to rub elbows with them though.

we really need a few additional high exposure games (and wins) on TV so that when it comes time to really really play under the lights, our guys will be ready.  Maui was a big tourney, but surely it didnt feel as much since they were physically removed from the distractions by being on an island.

33 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

we really need a few additional high exposure games (and wins) on TV so that when it comes time to really really play under the lights, our guys will be ready.  Maui was a big tourney, but surely it didnt feel as much since they were physically removed from the distractions by being on an island.

Huh? That was the biggest college bball event of the year so far. The boys played against two of the biggest programs in the sport and had Jay Bilas and Bill Walton interviewing them. That’s as big as it gets outside of the tourney imo. The pressure was to represent and justify the AU ranking and the succeeded. 

3 minutes ago, Gene Loblaw said:

Huh? That was the biggest college bball event of the year so far. The boys played against two of the biggest programs in the sport and had Jay Bilas and Bill Walton interviewing them. That’s as big as it gets outside of the tourney imo. The pressure was to represent and justify the AU ranking and the succeeded. 

that wasn't my point ... really my intention is having 30,000 college students around you telling you how good you are.  local/national TV guys interviewing you every weekend of SEC/NCAA tourney weeks.  The Duke/Kentuckys of the world are used to having the lights shining on them.  Our guys not so much.  I guess my view is a little nuanced.

I'm not saying Maui wasn't a big tourney with lots of importance.  But they were only interviewed by those guys.  It is a high school sized gym and a neutral court.  The pressure couldn't be the same as facing a top team in a tournament as a top 2 or 3 seed with all of the things that go along with that.  

I think we will be a #1 seed in the end. That would be so grand. Look where we are now and just now adding a big gun like DP. Wiley is getting more dominate each game. Beginning  to get a mean streak . I do think someone needs to tell Spencer to move inside and quite shooting 3s lol . But yes I don’t think we are close to peaking yet. A lot of potential in this team. Maybe one of the best Defenses I’ve seen in college ball. Enough bigs and plenty of shooters. A lot of depth because a lot of these guys can play multiple positions. Top that off with the best coach in the country and it makes AU hard to beat. I love hearing announcers discuss how good our defense or front court is, and when they say no one wants to play AU at our house. AU has definitely made to the big time in basketball and I think they will be here for a while.

15 minutes ago, lost said:

Latest ESPN bracketology now has us as a 3 seed with Michigan state of all teams moving up as a 2...  Nope, un-uh,no way-- but long way to go...

I don't have a problem with Sparty jumping us for now.  They got 2 wins last week against 2 teams projected in the tourney. They have played 6 games versus team projected in the tourney going 4-2.  We have only played 2 games versus teams projected in (Washington is slightly on the outside) going 1-1.

The one I don't get is Nevada. They may be good but they haven't played anyone yet & won't all seasoin long.

• 1 month later...

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology

4 seed in Midwest Region as of 1/11/19. Loss to Ole Miss dropped us down a seed. 

Edit: All three of our losses are to team projected to be in the field of 64. Arizona and Murray State are also in the field. Lots of opportunities for quality wins the rest of the season. SEC with 7 teams.

• 2 weeks later...

Latest from Palm at CBS is 8 seed in the Virginia bracket.  It showed 7 seed before the games yesterday.  The lower seed in this bracket is likely do to not having a signature win.  We have been close, but can't finish it.  The following was on the winners and losers section of CBS this morning.  

Loser: Auburn

Auburn has had a good season. Not great, just good. And that's in large part a testament to how it has fared in its biggest games. With the 82-80 loss to Kentucky on Saturday, the Tigers are 0-4 against their toughest opponents and are working up an oddball NCAA Tournament resume that leaves one in search for more. More wins against quality opponents. More wins against Quad 1 foes. More filler to prove it deserves a low single-digit seed come March. Thus far they have whiffed on their biggest opportunities.

This is spot on IMO.

Still opportunities left for some big wins to get back into the upper parts of the bracket but that blurb is pretty spot on for the moment. Beat UK in Lexington and UT at home and the squad will have two big time resume builders. Miss St in Starkville would be another chance too

Seems spot on with that blurb. Hopefully zona, Xavier and wash get better and better to get us up a bit. A bad 1:30 left us short yesterday with UK without Wiley. This team has the ability to get better and I think they will. Got to get payback in Lexington and get the tough W vs UT.

After last night this thread has zero relevance to AU. We would have to win the SEC tournament. When did that last happen 1985?

On 1/27/2019 at 8:40 AM, ChltteTiger said:

After last night this thread has zero relevance to AU. We would have to win the SEC tournament. When did that last happen 1985?

still 24 in the NET rankings. You're being totally hyperbolic

I am huh lol. Look if this team can earn it going forward that will be great and give us something to look forward to. With how lousy we play on the road I have my doubts though.

Still trying to figure out the Tier I and Tier 2 business and where our games have helped or hurt us at this point..    

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/25923557/welcome-start-madness tourney related article. Auburn in the "should be in" category. Can't complain too much about that while sitting at 400 in league play. We desperately need some big wins though. Like say at LSU this weekend

Jerry palm is first bracket I have seen putting us on the bubble as a 9 seed.  We really need a quad 1 win.  0-6!  We only have 1 loss in quads 2-4.

SmartSelect_20190212-183141_CBS Sports.jpg

LSU beat Kats with offensive rebound at the buzzer to win by 2.  Surprised the refs did not save the Kats.....but looked like a good tap from the big LSU guys who are deadly on the offensive glass...

So...time to recalculate the bracketology once again 

Archived