Season Long Bracketology Thread

ellitor

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WOW….UK is just pounding UT... physically abusing them tonight...up by 20.  Gonna be some changes in the rankings after this weekend....again....   

On 2/15/2019 at 1:10 PM, tigerbrotha12 said:

9 seed as of 2/15/19.

Still not even considered a “bubble team.” We’re being given chance after chance here. Time for the guys to man up and make a run. 

It's being openly discussed - at least on my local sports radio, WCCP (Clemson).

Specifically, the discussion was about Auburn and Miss. State. 

But I agree, we are being given a chance by the decision makers/raters.

Would be HUGE if we could get a win in Rupp this weekend. Without a big time win, we are looking at an 8-9 seed which would have us playing a 1 seed in our second game. A win vs UK would definitely give us a shot to get back in the 6-7 range discussion. A few more wins on top of that and maybe we could get higher. Even with a loss we will still have a shot at UT later, but UK carries more weight because of the brand.

This is an eye raiser. Andy Katz, who writes & contributes for NCAA.com, has AU one of the last 4 teams in having to play a play in game against Clemson. https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/2019-02-26/complete-march-madness-field-68-predicted-last-days-march

52 minutes ago, ellitor said:

This is an eye raiser. Andy Katz, who writes & contributes for NCAA.com, has AU one of the last 4 teams in having to play a play in game against Clemson. https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/2019-02-26/complete-march-madness-field-68-predicted-last-days-march

Yeah that is a bit surprising. Need to get this road win against UGA

34 minutes ago, gravejd said:

Yeah that is a bit surprising. Need to get this road win against UGA

It was then I looked at our resume & compared it to Bama's. Our resume isn't much better than Bama's if at all...

LINK

LINK

They have the bad quad 3 loss we don't have but are better on the road as of now. They are also 6-6 vs teams projected in the tourney while we are 3-9 vs teams projected in.

6 minutes ago, ellitor said:

It was then I looked at our resume & compared it to Bama's. Our resume isn't much better than Bama's if at all...

LINK

LINK

They have the bad quad 3 loss we don't have but are better on the road as of now. They are also 6-6 vs teams projected in the tourney while we are 3-9 vs teams projected in.

We are an interesting case....what do you do with a team with no bad loses but no great wins?? I expect we will be sweating it out come selection day unless something changes between now and end of season. Need UGA on the road and MSSt at home. Then 1 win in SEC tourney and i think we should feel pretty good. Anything more and we are golden.....anything less and we are in trouble

40 minutes ago, gravejd said:

We are an interesting case....what do you do with a team with no bad loses but no great wins?? I expect we will be sweating it out come selection day unless something changes between now and end of season. Need UGA on the road and MSSt at home. Then 1 win in SEC tourney and i think we should feel pretty good. Anything more and we are golden.....anything less and we are in trouble

If you are looking for a second regular season win down the stretch to go along with the needed win against UGA tonight, winning at Bama would help a bit more than beating Miss St. at home. Both would be Quad 1 wins & winning at Bama would help our abismal road resume. Selection committed puts more stock on road & neutral work than home work.

Tend to agree we need 2 more in the regular season & a SEC Tourney win to feel good about getting in. Funny thing is it looks very possible we will play Bama in the 8-9 game one way in the SEC Tourney & that could be a play in game for the NCAA Tourney. We have to win that series regardless but I sure would like to go 3-0 against them if we have to play them 3 times.

Despite how bad we beat bama at home beating at their place is a different thing. One they have some of the type of players that have given us trouble a solid big man a fast guard and a big guard. We need to beat Ga or it is over then one of the next two games bama away Miss. State at home. This years team is capable of winning all three of these games but sadly if they have a bad game against Ga. of losing all three.  While still not a good team Ga is better than when we played them last time.

Joey Brackets thankfully still has us as a 8 seed in the South Region as of his latest update yesterday.

http://m.espn.com/ncb/bracketologyByRegion?&year=2019&iteration=241&region=3&wjb=

A win tonight does nothing to help our resume but a loss would absolutely destroy us and be a hideous one. We need this one bad to just hold serve. 

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

Joey Brackets thankfully still has us as a 8 seed in the South Region as of his latest update yesterday.

Too bad he's an average bracketologist.

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

A win tonight does nothing to help our resume

Would help a bit. It would be a quad 2 win.

9 hours ago, ellitor said:

t was then I looked at our resume & compared it to Bama's. Our resume isn't much better than Bama's if at all...

Our Net rating is 24. Their’s is 47. How can you not tell ours are significantly better? 

Our RPI is better as well.

30 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Too bad he's an average bracketologist.

Would help a bit. It would be a quad 2 win.

lol WHAT?! He is not average at all. What makes you say that? I have never heard this take at all. I mean he teaches a class about it at St Joes....  It is not a must win game but it is a can't lose game.

Jerry Palm the other noted Bracketologist besides Joey Brackets has us as a 10 seed in the west. IMO if we do not lose to Georgia tonight and beat 1 of Miss St and Bama we are in. 

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/bracketology/

For @gravejd & anyone interested I'm going back to my previous opinion. I think we need only 1 more win the rest of the season or the SEC Tourney clinches an NCAA Tourney bid. In my previous posts I neglected to look at SOS. That's a variable all NCAA committees rely on heavily. Our SOS is 28th in the nation & projected to finish in the top 20. I don't recall a team having 20 wins with an SOS in the top 20 ever not making the NCAA Tourney since it expanded to 64 teams, much less 68. In fact I would bet everything I own it's never happened.

Just need to .500 in the league and we’re shoe ins for a 8ish seed. Only have opportunities for really good wins left and no opportunities for bad losses. I frankly think last night’s dub sealed our tourney hopes, but I don’t wanna bank on it. We should be favored in both of our next games and hopefully Dunbar is back healthy 

38 minutes ago, Gene Loblaw said:

Just need to .500 in the league and we’re shoe ins for a 8ish seed. Only have opportunities for really good wins left and no opportunities for bad losses. I frankly think last night’s dub sealed our tourney hopes,

Agreed!

3 hours ago, Gene Loblaw said:

Just need to .500 in the league and we’re shoe ins for a 8ish seed. Only have opportunities for really good wins left and no opportunities for bad losses. I frankly think last night’s dub sealed our tourney hopes, but I don’t wanna bank on it. We should be favored in both of our next games and hopefully Dunbar is back healthy 

Maybe...But all of these teams are on a better roll than we have been. At least based on teams we all have played recently. 

Alabama went to SC and beat them on their own court. We couldn't do it. Rivalry games are toss ups to me.

MSU has won 5 in a row I think. Even when they have lost in the last 10 games, it has been close. Will be dogfight.

Tenn is winning, although they are struggling, even though they are winning it at the end (OM, etc).

3 hours ago, steeleagle said:

Maybe...But all of these teams are on a better roll than we have been. At least based on teams we all have played recently. 

Alabama went to SC and beat them on their own court. We couldn't do it. Rivalry games are toss ups to me.

MSU has won 5 in a row I think. Even when they have lost in the last 10 games, it has been close. Will be dogfight.

Tenn is winning, although they are struggling, even though they are winning it at the end (OM, etc).

The espn matchup prediction algorithm has AU favored in all of our remaining games. I know that doesn’t mean that much but I like AU’s chances to get at least one of the 3 left

On 2/27/2019 at 7:25 PM, GwillMac6 said:

lol WHAT?! He is not average at all. What makes you say that? I have never heard this take at all. I mean he teaches a class about it at St Joes....  It is not a must win game but it is a can't lose game.

There is actually a statistical tracking of bracketologists and their accuracy: http://bracketmatrix.com/rankings.html Joe comes in at #68 on the list. 

2 minutes ago, JwgreDeux said:

There is actually a statistical tracking of bracketologists and their accuracy: http://bracketmatrix.com/rankings.html Joe comes in at #68 on the list. 

I only thought there were 2 bracketologists honestly . Joey Brackets and Jerry Palm.

34 minutes ago, JwgreDeux said:

31 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I only thought there were 2 bracketologists honestly . Joey Brackets and Jerry Palm.

The top rated bracketology group Delphi has us at a 9 as of 2/28 so we are safe right now with Duke being the #1 on that portion of the bracket. The 2nd best group Bracketville also has us at a 9 with UVA being the #1 in that portion.

PLEASE SWEET BABY RAY'S DO NOT LET US BE MATCHED UP WITH VIRGINIA IF WE ARE FORTUNATE ENOUGH TO GET TO THE 2ND ROUND. Ultimate nightmare matchup for us. There isn't a single other team in the country I want to see our team matched up with less than UVA.

Archived