Gus wins (Decison made)

ToomersStreet

5 minutes ago, fredst said:

Everybody knows that this was purely a financial decision. Nobody with a lick of common sense or a connection to reality can still believe that Gus is the right man to lead AU football. But, he’ll apparently be doing that for at least another year so I guess we better get used to it and deal with it, each in our own way. I for one just can’t help believing that this is a HUGE setback for the program on several levels: on the field product, recruiting, continued delay in needed facilities upgrades. Ultimately I think this will prove more costly than just biting the bullet and paying the buyout. But, I will say, I think Gus has zero margin for error and really can’t envision a scenario where he’s retained after next year, given my expectations for the season. JMO.

giphy.gif

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

Hey Ellitor....do you know if the freeze on hiring and firing is still on the table or has this been removed? You seem to be on top of things very well and it is appreciated!

So can he get rid of Chip.and any others or same staff? Sorry if I misse that part.

5 hours ago, Zeek said:

Well only a few things we can do at this point to salvage the future of Auburn football. A lot of it focuses on facilities being improved.

• Football only Facility (FoF) needs to have been built yesterday. We're behind on the facilities arms race by quite a bit. It's ridiculous how we've pussyfooted around with this project for what feels like several years. The locker room was underwhelming and the FoF needs to be stellar. Don't let Gus get involved with the design please. Just don't. Give him back his $2 million if you have to do so. 
  • Jordan-Hare Stadium - Brick the daggum thing in like we all know would work out well. Have people donate and get their names on the brick if you have to do so for fundraising. I'd buy a brick and I'm sure many others would as well. There are other improvements that have been discussed ad nauseum. Personally, I wouldn't mind increasing the space for each guest and lowering the total number of seats. Would also be fine with adding more to the upper section, increasing room (maybe individual chairs with backs), and keep the number close to the same. We need a jumbotron opposite of the Aubietron and it doesn't have to be that big. Close in the backside of the Aubietron please.
  •  We have to fill needs better in recruiting. We have had highly rated classes but we haven't always filled positions of need. Ideally we'll still manage decent recruiting classes for whoever our next coach might be after this nightmare is over.
  • Trim the fat in the athletic department.

I'm at the point where I hope Kelly Bryant doesn't come here because I don't want a fluke transfer season to bail out Gus for even longer.

We need a good QB next year so I don't agree with the last sentence, lol. The rest of your post about the facilities is excellent. The PTB should have done those improvements a long, long, time ago instead of getting involved in all this other stuff. The W/L record of those 'next years' is pure BS too. Anyone in the PTB that thinks the status of a current coach, good or bad, has anything to do with a decision on the facilities needed for the long term success of Auburn football needs to think again. If their thinking is so short sighted they should be kept as far away from Auburn football as possible. 

3 minutes ago, IronMan70 said:

We need a good QB next year so I don't agree with the last sentence but the rest is an excellent post about the facilities. The PTB should have done those improvements a long, long, time ago instead of getting involved in all this other stuff. The W/L record of any 'next year' is pure BS. Anyone who thinks the status of any current coach, good or bad, has anything to do with a decision on the facilities needed for the long term success of Auburn football needs to re-evaluate. A member of the PTB that thinks like that should be kept as far away from Auburn football as possible.

Nail on the head. Coaches will come and go but facilities are here to stay!

We need a cleaning of house of such epic proportions that I don’t see happening. You can change the president but the PTB will always be there.

Only way this crap is going to change is if the fans stop throwing money at the University. Then they'll be forced to do something. But I doubt that'll ever happen, because we love Auburn no matter what and we love going to Auburn and spending money. They have no incentive to do anything we want, because we aren't hitting them in their pockets.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

I know who she is but what are you saying?

Waterboy reference at the end. Lol

I'm ready for a few more screens, off tackle plays stuffed at the LOS, and a few long bombs that are incomplete. I can't wait. Oh, I nearly forgot the whirlybird play. That pass to the punter is a dilly also. I am so excited. I can't wait till next year.

1 minute ago, Farmer Brown said:

We gonna have a gud teem next yeer, since this decison has been made. LOL Might as well laugh.

Is this what it feels like to be like Vanderbilt? The fans have just given up hope and know their chances of being a relevant team are very low. So they just embrace the suck and find humor in little things.

13 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Can we update the title to spell decision correctly please?

Is that not right?  I thought it was a french word for death wish.

3 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Anything less than 9 regular season wins next year and Gus is gone. And those 9 must include a win over either LSU, UGA, or Bama.

Either? I am saying two out of three 

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Been posted countless times by numerous connected people & every AU beat writer. The entire O staff.

That would get snuffed out easily if that were the case & I don't even think Gus would lEt that go on without firing the coach.

That doesn't mean anything. Yes the O assistants are the ones watching their positions but they are only coaching what Gus allows them to. They are on strict micromanagement orders.

Sorry but I don,t buy that...His is one guy and there are more than a hundred players.  no way he can micromanage that...not even the QBs....how is he teaching JS to have happy feet?  If any of that is coming from staff they should show some guts and quit...

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Either? I am saying two out of three 

That isnt happening unless Gatewood is the QB. 

11 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Anything less than 9 regular season wins next year and Gus is gone. And those 9 must include a win over either LSU, UGA, or Bama.

Hard to fire a coach with 8 wins, especially when he was handicapped by             insert excuses here            .

30 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Is this what it feels like to be like Vanderbilt? The fans have just given up hope and know their chances of being a relevant team are very low. So they just embrace the suck and find humor in little things.

I suppose. 2019-20 is a wash with Gus being back. Assuming they fire him we have a new coach for 2020-2021 and it’s unlikey we get a third coach with a quick NC appearance; if so we should be concerned. 2021-2022 we’re likely competitive for the division. 2022-2023 at the earliest we’re looking to win the SEC. Yayyyy.

Meanwhile our facilities are in 2008. While others are lapping us.

1 hour ago, selias said:

I completely disagree. I have the money available for a new car but, I choose not to use it.  The money exists, just unused.

Yes, but if your present car is a wheezing, sputtering POS, it's time to make a withdrawal. 

Let's do apples-to-apples. ..

27 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

That isnt happening unless Gatewood is the QB. 

It would be nice to see him play.

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

He may not ever play but if he ever does, he has an explosive skill set.

1 hour ago, selias said:

I completely disagree. I have the money available for a new car but, I choose not to use it. The money exists, just unused.

But are you complaining about your existing car? If they ain’t gonna pay up to get rid of him. Then they need to sthu and sit down.

6 minutes ago, DAG said:

Well they definitely red shirted him so if he has what it takes we should see a full season of him next year...somewhere....and I am not thinking QB.

Archived