Gus wins (Decison made)

ToomersStreet

4 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Well they definitely red shirted him so if he has what it takes we should see a full season of him next year...somewhere....and I am not thinking QB.

I think he transfers if he doesn’t play QB unfortunately 

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, DAG said:

I think he transfers if he doesn’t play QB unfortunately 

He might but I hope he understands if he can’t play qb here he probably can’t play elsewhere either. He’s got athleticism. I would love to see him use it. 

We have got to start the football only facility this spring/summer then Les Mile Gus's butt after he loses a couple of games. It will be easier to get a quality coach if we have started on the football facility.

2 hours ago, AURealist said:

Hard to fire a coach with 8 wins, especially when he was handicapped by             insert excuses here            .

Nah his seat is nuclear. I honestly think Gus' seat is hotter going into next year than any coach in recent memory. Like in Remember the Titans when Coach Boone had to basically go undefeated to stick around. That's where we are. Anything less than 9 regular season wins and he is out. And like DAG said, he may have to ALSO beat 2 out of 3 of our rivals. 

5 hours ago, alexava said:

Actually you can’t. You can’t keep this negativity up on public forums and expect to recruit players we need. But I also don’t think you can control yourselves either so carry on. We had a bad year. It happens. We’re not bammer. We will never get to what has been going on there the past ten years and nobody else will either. It is what it is. We over paid a coach to the point of retardation. If we fire him, we ain’t going to be able to afford an upgrade. All that bullsheyt about “the money is there “ was pure bullsheyt. We aren’t terrible. We are Auburn. We have a few mediocre seasons, a few good seasons, then mix in a great season with a bad season in a cycle. Look through history. 

People like you that accept mediocrity as the norm scare the hell out of driven successful people. If I hadnt been reading your posts on this forum before, I would have called you a turd and blocked you. 

4 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Anything less than 9 regular season wins next year and Gus is gone. And those 9 must include a win two wins minimum over either LSU, UGA, or Bama.

Fixed that for you.

3 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

People like you that accept mediocrity as the norm scare the hell out of driven successful people. If I hadnt been reading your posts on this forum before, I would have called you a turd and blocked you. 

What did I post that is not factual 

2 hours ago, saminbama said:

Sounds like we aren't the only fanbase complaining about our offense and unwillingness of our coach to change.  https://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/university-michigan/wolverines/2018/11/27/michigan-football-jim-harbaugh/2120989002/?src=rss

Believe it or not this is very common across the nation, especially with programs who pull in a lot of resources into football. Funny because some want to make it into an isolated Auburn issue. 

Gus will have the hottest seat in the country going into next. It will be one of those situations where if things go south he could be fired halfway through the season.  

16 minutes ago, weagl1 said:

Gus will have the hottest seat in the country going into next. It will be one of those situations where if things go south he could be fired halfway through the season.  

If we go 0-2 early against Florida and A&M then he is gone.

6 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Nah his seat is nuclear. I honestly think Gus' seat is hotter going into next year than any coach in recent memory. Like in Remember the Titans when Coach Boone had to basically go undefeated to stick around. That's where we are. Anything less than 9 regular season wins and he is out. And like DAG said, he may have to ALSO beat 2 out of 3 of our rivals. 

That thinking is true of the fans, but those in office who have to make the decision and find a new coach afterwards are going to find it difficult to fire a coach who has 8 wins including one rival. The Gus fans will be working overtime manufacturing a vivid tapestry of excuses.  ( Interestingly, cancer is a new excuse possibility recently being trial ballooned in one misguided thread. Excuse-making has no limits (and apparently no shame) in the AU fan base. )  If Gus can't manage more than 7 wins next season, I believe he's definitely gone, but 8 wins and bumping off UGA is gonna be tough to sell to the press.  Not that I care much about the press, we get bad press already, but potential hires might be a bit trepidatious and you know the Gus brigade will be screaming, "See?!  He's turned the corner" again and well, we know how it goes from there...

11 minutes ago, AURealist said:

( Interestingly, cancer is a new excuse possibility recently being trial ballooned in one misguided thread.

which poster and what thread

For my part I hope we can get some O'line help , change OC's and be really good next year. I don't want to hear that it can't happen as long as Gus is the coach. I want the "TEAM" to be successful every year. If Gus is the coach so be it, if someone else is the coach all the better. I don't think  all of this hoping the team does bad so Gus will be fired stuff is helpful. Support the "Team" and let the coaching Chips (see what I did there) fall where they may. I never want any Auburn team to fail just so some coach will go. Since it looks like Gus will be the coach next year let's all be fans and support them. We all know if he doesn't do really, really well next year he is going to get fired so it doesn't have to be said over and over and over again.

So, I'm guessing the scapegoats get canned today?

I wonder if we will have an offensive staff in place before the early signing period....

Like all true AU family, I would love to see us field a solid team and be in the championship discussion in November, but there is no concrete data to support such a notion.  The very little hope that I do have is just because that would be the Auburn thing to do.

12 hours ago, IronMan70 said:

Well they shouldn't be which tells you something about the SOP of the PTB. They should be making those decisions based solely on what is best for Auburn football long term and NOT on the status of a current AU coach at any given point in time. That is precisely the kind of thinking that brought us the distinction of being the only SECW school with no major stadium improvement in the last 30 years. 

AMEN!

The PTB - BOT - Finance people and the overall Administration at Auburn are a fickle bunch of people.  They have zero vision for the future..  They make idiotic decisions based on who the coach is at the moment, and how the team is performing.  

For years we heard the reason for delaying major renovations to JHS & a football only facility was because the decision makers didn't want Jay Jacobs managing the projects.  Now it's become a pipe dream for some reason?  What a myopic way to run a multi-million dollar operation. 

7 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

Since when is stating the truth settling for mediocrity???

6 minutes ago, EagleEye67 said:

So, does this mean that Chip isn't going anywhere, either?

Time will tell.   Next few days to a few weeks and we'll know.  

I think that Gus will have a nervous breakdown way before this time next season. Gus didn't win, he's running scared and nervous about how to quick fix the problems on the O. He may have got his way, but by no means did Gus win coaching wise(money wise, he's a winner!). This little episode is surely going to be stuck in his head for the next several months. 

Just now, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

The buyout part. The money was there. 

@alexava believes if something is not used then it's not there. I don't understand that logical at all. People can have the finances for something & choose not to use it.

5 minutes ago, ellitor said:

@alexava believes if something is not used then it's not there. I don't understand that logical at all. People can have the finances for something & choose not to use it.

The two making the call decided, mostly in their best interest, not to make the change. Now one is on borrowed time and the other's power is pretty much gone.  

Archived