Gus wins (Decison made)

ToomersStreet

7 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I don't understand that logical at all. People can have the finances for something & choose not to use it.

E, I've been tryin to tell my wife the very same thing for years! LOL!

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, cctiger said:

I've been tryin to tell my wife the very same thing for years! LOL!

Said every husband/boyfriend through eternity.

1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

The two making the call decided, mostly in their best interest, not to make the change. Now one is on borrowed time and the other's power is pretty much gone.  

If there was no buyout or a minimal buyout would a change have been made? If the answer is yes then the money wasn’t there. Money is why he is still the coach. 

I have always liked Gus. But last year I was vocal that I would not break the bank to keep him away from Arkansas. This year there is no way in hell I would break the bank again to get rid of him. He’s the same coach minus about two offensive linemen. 

12 hours ago, DAG said:

It would be nice to see him play.

I would love to see what he can do. He could be a bust or he could be good or somewhere in between.  At this point I am not sure we will ever know.

1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

The two making the call decided, mostly in their best interest, not to make the change. Now one is on borrowed time and the other's power is pretty much gone.  

Harbert & Leath decided, mostly in their best interest, not to make the change.  Now one (Leath) is on borrowed time and the other's (Harbert's) power is pretty much gone. 

Yet due to their decision, the program now has an apathetic fan base, a BOT fractured at its core and we are saddled with a lame duck HC. 

With Leath on borrowed time and Harbert's power diminished, who holds the POWER now?  Who will be responsible for cutting the HC next year and who will pony the still astronomical +$26million buyout when the time comes?

If Harbert lost his power, then I'd have to assume his financial backing will disappear like a fart in the wind.

6 minutes ago, keesler said:

Harbert & Leath decided, mostly in their best interest, not to make the change.  Now one (Leath) is on borrowed time and the other's (Harbert's) power is pretty much gone. 

Yet due to their decision, the program now has an apathetic fan base, a BOT fractured at its core and we are saddled with a lame duck HC. 

With Leath on borrowed time and Harbert's power diminished, who holds the POWER now?  Who will be responsible for cutting the HC next year and who will pony the still astronomical +$26million buyout when the time comes?

If Harbert lost his power, then I'd have to assume his financial backing will disappear like a fart in the wind.

Winning and losing has consequence. Fans just need a winning team. If Gus doesn't bring that next year no one can save him. If Chip is still the OC then I think you will be able to tell which direction this will go. Not because he can't do the job but because he can't do it under Gus. If we don't get Freeze the writing is on the wall for next year.   

I know it's a pipe dream since people can't/don't travel for the non-revenue sports like they do for football, but it would be cool for all the sports that are excelling on campus, especially the fall ones, to see their attendance rise and football's attendance to decrease.

I've said this before, and it's mostly rhetorical I guess, but why does Auburn even employ an athletic director when it seems old boosters and the university president just hold a pissing contest to exercise power?  I'm not naive; I realize money runs the university, but can an AD not have a backbone and call out ridiculousness and mismanagement of HIS department if he sees it?

Stadium attendance is already decreasing around the nation for everyone, even the big name programs that are excelling, just because of the outrageous cost of attendance in the presence of improved technologies to watch the game at home.  Hypothetically, if Gus is given two more years of a leash, that's 14 mil + whatever the buyout is then + the revenue gap from declining attendance.  I'm just wondering who in their right mind would see that potential fallout and not realize that has an above average probability of causing more financial damage than a $32 million buyout.  If it is revealed the buyout was negotiated significantly down, I will feel a bit better.  If not, I feel this move will hamstring the entire athletics department for the coming decade.  It is bordering on extreme financial mismanagement, and if everyone involved with this keeps their job after this fiasco, my faith is totally gone in administration on Auburn University's campus at any level.

I will no longer support anything to do with AU football.  My  family has given millions.  Not another penny will I give. Many of my friends are making the same decision.

2 minutes ago, ronau57 said:

I will no longer support anything to do with AU football.  My  family has given millions.  Not another penny will I give. Many of my friends are making the same decision.

Is there a qualifier with that statement?  Or do you mean never, which is a long time.

12 minutes ago, ronau57 said:

Decisions like this, while drastic, ushered in the Dabo Swinney era at Clemson. I hope you come back in the future. 

44 minutes ago, ronau57 said:

Same here with my family. But I just cannot turn my back on Auburn football. I will continue to support the players no matter what. They deserve that much. None of this is what they asked for, and I do not think it's fair to them.

9 hours ago, saminbama said:

Sounds like we aren't the only fanbase complaining about our offense and unwillingness of our coach to change.  https://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/university-michigan/wolverines/2018/11/27/michigan-football-jim-harbaugh/2120989002/?src=rss

Michigan is spending a LOT of $ with absolutley nothing to show for it. Can't say that I blame them for complaining.

57 minutes ago, TheBeachTigger said:

Michigan is spending a LOT of $ with absolutley nothing to show for it. Can't say that I blame them for complaining.

They are ranked #7.  They lost 2 games this year, to the current #3 (1st game of the season) and #6.  That's not nothing.  It'd take that over where we are right now.

7 hours ago, AURealist said:

That thinking is true of the fans, but those in office who have to make the decision and find a new coach afterwards are going to find it difficult to fire a coach who has 8 wins including one rival. The Gus fans will be working overtime manufacturing a vivid tapestry of excuses.  ( Interestingly, cancer is a new excuse possibility recently being trial ballooned in one misguided thread. Excuse-making has no limits (and apparently no shame) in the AU fan base. )  If Gus can't manage more than 7 wins next season, I believe he's definitely gone, but 8 wins and bumping off UGA is gonna be tough to sell to the press.  Not that I care much about the press, we get bad press already, but potential hires might be a bit trepidatious and you know the Gus brigade will be screaming, "See?!  He's turned the corner" again and well, we know how it goes from there...

I just have to agree to disagree. He was SOOOOO close to being axed this year. One additional win next season isn't going to save him. There has to be drastic improvement. Even then, there are boosters who might never be on the Gus Bus again. I get the sense that the boosters are even madder than we as the fans are. They almost finished him off this year, and definitely will next year without DRASTIC improvement. 

3 hours ago, keesler said:

Why do you think Harbert needs financial backing?   It’s Leath and Auburn that need financial backing.  

Assume you have heard of Harbert Center in Birmingham and other philanthropic activities of John Harbert and family.

8 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

When this happens I will be so 

7 hours ago, alexava said:

If there was no buyout or a minimal buyout would a change have been made? If the answer is yes then the money wasn’t there. Money is why he is still the coach. 

I have always liked Gus. But last year I was vocal that I would not break the bank to keep him away from Arkansas. This year there is no way in hell I would break the bank again to get rid of him. He’s the same coach minus about two offensive linemen. 

When are you going to realize we have to pay him “MORE” to not fire him. Jeez! We have to pay 100% of his pay if he stays and only 75% if we fire him. So if he stays and we fire him next year ( which we will) then it will have cost us 34 million vs. 32 million now and we most likely would have had a better season than we are going to have. SMH

yes The money was there even without Harbert. Harbet is the only reason we did not fire Gus. He is the one that talked Leath into the contract last year and he is the one that talked Leath and Greene out of firing him this year. The majority of the board would have voted to terminate Gus if a vote had been taken.Harbert is the sole problem and he needs to be gone ASAP.

3 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

When are you going to realize we have to pay him “MORE” to not fire him. Jeez! We have to pay 100% of his pay if he stays and only 75% if we fire him. So if he stays and we fire him next year ( which we will) then it will have cost us 34 million vs. 32 million now and we most likely would have had a better season than we are going to have. SMH

I don’t need to realize it. I’m not paying it. The people paying this money, well, didn’t want to pay it.

I suppose his successor will work free? 

4 hours ago, AURealist said:

They are ranked #7.  They lost 2 games this year, to the current #3 (1st game of the season) and #6.  That's not nothing.  It'd take that over where we are right now.

True, but he is O-fer against their biggest rival. If Gus were O-fer against UAT, well totally different ball game.

31 minutes ago, TheBeachTigger said:

True, but he is O-fer against their biggest rival. If Gus were O-fer against UAT, well totally different ball game.

Harbaugh is still improving.  UM is 7th.  Can't say that about Gus.  I'd take Harbaugh over Gus right now or any time. 

On 12/2/2018 at 4:20 PM, Zeek said:

Well only a few things we can do at this point to salvage the future of Auburn football. A lot of it focuses on facilities being improved.

• Football only Facility (FoF) needs to have been built yesterday. We're behind on the facilities arms race by quite a bit. It's ridiculous how we've pussyfooted around with this project for what feels like several years. The locker room was underwhelming and the FoF needs to be stellar. Don't let Gus get involved with the design please. Just don't. Give him back his $2 million if you have to do so. 
  • Jordan-Hare Stadium - Brick the daggum thing in like we all know would work out well. Have people donate and get their names on the brick if you have to do so for fundraising. I'd buy a brick and I'm sure many others would as well. There are other improvements that have been discussed ad nauseum. Personally, I wouldn't mind increasing the space for each guest and lowering the total number of seats. Would also be fine with adding more to the upper section, increasing room (maybe individual chairs with backs), and keep the number close to the same. We need a jumbotron opposite of the Aubietron and it doesn't have to be that big. Close in the backside of the Aubietron please.
  •  We have to fill needs better in recruiting. We have had highly rated classes but we haven't always filled positions of need. Ideally we'll still manage decent recruiting classes for whoever our next coach might be after this nightmare is over.
  • Trim the fat in the athletic department.

I'm at the point where I hope Kelly Bryant doesn't come here because I don't want a fluke transfer season to bail out Gus for even longer.

This is JMO but I don't think Bryant will be coming to Auburn and even if he does he won't be the cure all.

22 hours ago, alexava said:

What did I post that is not factual 

Any new HC search, or rumors of such, is going to cause some negatives on Recruiting. It is just part of the Process. Are you telling me that when Alabama was going thru the Process of hiring Saban, that those few negatives weren't all outweighed by the positives? Saying that we should accept that we are some third tier SEC School and should accept that is just 100% crap. As I posted before, The issue with Alabama becoming so dominant is not just an Arch Rival Issue, nor an SEC Only issue, it is an NCAA issue.  So far in the CNS era, we have 4 wins of the 20. LSU has 3 and Ole Miss has 2. No other conference even 2 wins against him. No team outside of the SEC has more than one win against him. OSU only has one SEC win in its history. As far as standing up to CNS, Auburn is, as it should be, leading the pack in the SEC and the Nation. Your sniveling:

"we should just accept what we are" notion is just BS. 

18 hours ago, aubaseball said:

Since when is stating the truth settling for mediocrity???

State the truth and we will discuss it. If you are discussing the BS posted by alex, it is just BS. Auburn is actually doing better than any school in the nation.

22 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Wow. Great.  Now we just have to sit through another 5 loss season so  we can replace Gus with Rhett since we Are Auburn and we embrace poor decisions.

Archived