Gus wins (Decison made)

ToomersStreet

4 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

State the truth and we will discuss it. If you are discussing the BS posted by alex, it is just BS. Auburn is actually doing better than any school in the nation.

I think you are confusing what the jest of his comments were.    I believe the comment was supposed to be taken as Auburn can’t achieve greatness or a sustained level of excellence due to people that make the decisions can’t make the right decision.   The first example is the insane buyout out clause.   Next would be the hiring of Malzahn over a more established head coach.   Then you could go back to the hiring of chizik, the attempted first firing of tuberville, so this is what the statement was about.   Can Auburn get to level of excellence?  Who knows, but history has shown that it can’t maintain excellence.    

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply
53 minutes ago, ToomersStreet said:

Wow. Great.  Now we just have to sit through another 5 loss season so  we can replace Gus with Rhett since we Are Auburn and we embrace poor decisions

i don't think 5 losses will cover it....better look at the schedule

2 hours ago, aubaseball said:

I think you are confusing what the jest of his comments were.    I believe the comment was supposed to be taken as Auburn can’t achieve greatness or a sustained level of excellence due to people that make the decisions can’t make the right decision.   The first example is the insane buyout out clause.   Next would be the hiring of Malzahn over a more established head coach.   Then you could go back to the hiring of chizik, the attempted first firing of tuberville, so this is what the statement was about.   Can Auburn get to level of excellence?  Who knows, but history has shown that it can’t maintain excellence.    

Actually close to what I meant. But I also argue with few exceptions and very few does any program maintain excellence. People think we can just go hire a home run and this is not factual. We complain about a “high school offense “. You take ‘09, 10, ‘13, ‘14 those were the most productive years on offense in my memory. ‘15 sucked. ‘16 was up and down mostly from SW injuries. Then ‘17 we led the sec in scoring. 18 sucked again. Recruiting has been statistically good but lacking in specific positions. I have said repeatedly starting last year during the Arkansas coup, I would give Gus a moderate raise. Mostly performance based but not a huge buyout. “I” , me, the logical one here who supports Gus would have called his bluff then and either watched him roll into Arkansas or take a more reasonable contract here. I damn sure ain’t going to pay him tens of millions to go away when he is DIRECTLY responsible for any success we have had in the last 14 years. And the success we have had in the past 8 is more than we have had in any other time in our history. I am one of the only realistic people on this forum when it comes to our football program. I see deficiencies, I have gripes. I would run things differently. I also have seen enough to take the good with the bad and hope for the best. Our fan base is not helping the situation. The saban curse  has killed your ability to understand reality.  

Not directed at aubaseball or any individual.  

38 minutes ago, alexava said:

Actually close to what I meant. But I also argue with few exceptions and very few does any program maintain excellence. People think we can just go hire a home run and this is not factual. We complain about a “high school offense “. You take ‘09, 10, ‘13, ‘14 those were the most productive years on offense in my memory. ‘15 sucked. ‘16 was up and down mostly from SW injuries. Then ‘17 we led the sec in scoring. 18 sucked again. Recruiting has been statistically good but lacking in specific positions. I have said repeatedly starting last year during the Arkansas coup, I would give Gus a moderate raise. Mostly performance based but not a huge buyout. “I” , me, the logical one here who supports Gus would have called his bluff then and either watched him roll into Arkansas or take a more reasonable contract here. I damn sure ain’t going to pay him tens of millions to go away when he is DIRECTLY responsible for any success we have had in the last 14 years. And the success we have had in the past 8 is more than we have had in any other time in our history. I am one of the only realistic people on this forum when it comes to our football program. I see deficiencies, I have gripes. I would run things differently. I also have seen enough to take the good with the bad and hope for the best. Our fan base is not helping the situation. The saban curse  has killed your ability to understand reality. 

Good post, but brace for impact...

1 hour ago, alexava said:

Not directed at aubaseball or any individual.  

I can't disagree with any of that. 

My thing is this, though. We aren't just losing tough games to better teams each season. We are regularly showing up wholly unprepared and making monumentally stupid coaching decisions. It's been going on for 4 years. We're talking multiple, abject debacles every season. We just lost to our main rival by 31 points and nobody even cares. 

It's not that we're not maintaining excellence. We're not even maintaining respectability. 

57 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I can't disagree with any of that. 

My thing is this, though. We aren't just losing tough games to better teams each season. We are regularly showing up wholly unprepared and making monumentally stupid coaching decisions. It's been going on for 4 years. We're talking multiple, abject debacles every season. We just lost to our main rival by 31 points and nobody even cares. 

It's not that we're not maintaining excellence. We're not even maintaining respectability. 

Everyone cares. The problem is we got whacked by bammer just like everyone else did. But Gus is 2-4 vs bammer. The best of any other coach in this time frame. It’s not THAT bad. I think what bothers people is how they see it could be better. I agree things could be better. But overall there is no coach I can think of who would be willing to come here AND be a sure fire better coach. Not enough to pay the insane price it would take to make it happen. 

7 minutes ago, alexava said:

Everyone cares. The problem is we got whacked by bammer just like everyone else did. But Gus is 2-4 vs bammer. The best of any other coach in this time frame. It’s not THAT bad. I think what bothers people is how they see it could be better. I agree things could be better. But overall there is no coach I can think of who would be willing to come here AND be a sure fire better coach. Not enough to pay the insane price it would take to make it happen. 

That makes sense. But to me that's a lot different than "nobody maintains execellence" and "Saban has killed your ability to understand reality". 

And bammer whacked everyone, but they didn't whack everyone by 31 points and not everyone averages a top 10 finish in recruiting over the last 5 years and not everyone has a 6th year coach. And of course people care, but do we care like we would have 5 years ago? I don't. Not even close. And neither do bammers, and neither do the media. 

I know that you're not trying to say that Gus is great, but I feel like maybe there's some distance between where you and some of us think things "should" be.

9 hours ago, alexava said:

You're the only one here with Saban on the brain.  You use him as an excuse to belittle and delegitimize others' observations and opinions about the program.  I'm willing to say right here right now that Gus will never beat Nick Saban at anything ever again, but Gus' pants being on fire is not about losing to uat.  It's about losing to LSU.  It's about losing to Tenn.  It's about losing to MSU.  It's about choking himself out in his bowl games.  It's about not building a solid program for going forward.  And just wait.  This next season is going to see Gus pile drive this program to subterranean depths all for the small fee of seven million dollars. 

And it's not even Gus' fault.  Auburn University allows people with more money than sense to make the decisions.  It's the Auburn way and has been for a long time time now.  Until somebody somewhere can put an end to this decision-making madness we are going to remain a second tier team.  We all know it.  It's got absolutely nothing to do with Nick Saban.  

Having a .500 winning percentage against Mississippi State over the life of his HC career alone is enough to fire him IMO. Nevermind what it looks like when you pile on all the other stuff that's already been mentioned over the last 3-4 years.

Mississippi freaking State. 

And it's not even Gus' fault.  Auburn University allows people with more money than sense to make the decisions.  It's the Auburn way and has been for a long time time now.  Until somebody somewhere can put and end to this decision-makingmadness we are going to remain a second tier team.  We all know it.  It's got absolutely nothing to do with Nick Saban.  

This right sums it up

3 hours ago, alexava said:

I don't think bammer is really much of an issue for most.  I've actually been proud of most of Gus' showings (even the losses) vs bammer (except this year).

The issue is the MSU, LSU & thUga games...plus throw in the bizarro Clemson games and U of freaking T this year.  It's the ineptitude in games (or halves) of games AU should be winning that are the real problems.

21 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

I don't think bammer is really much of an issue for most. 

my issue is incompetence from the BOT to the moron in the presidents office down to the football coach concerning the athletic department

4 minutes ago, doverstutts said:

my issue is incompetence from the BOT to the moron in the presidents office down to the football coach concerning the athletic department

Yep. If Auburn ever wants to get over it's mediocre past with flash in the pan success sprinkled in, it needs to make bold moves with a clear intention of culture change surrounding athletics. People constantly harp on money. Blah blah blah. If they make the investments in the right areas...ie, a real coach...facility and stadium upgrades, the return on that investment will come in due time. Instead, we seem to take 1 step forward and 2 back most times, creating the perpetual cycle of mediocrity. 

29 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

I don't think bammer is really much of an issue for most.  I've actually been proud of most of Gus' showings (even the losses) vs bammer (except this year).

The issue is the MSU, LSU & thUga games...plus throw in the bizarro Clemson games and U of freaking T this year.  It's the ineptitude in games (or halves) of games AU should be winning that are the real problems.

Our losses to bammer is not the problem. The problem is that we have mediocre and good seasons usually with a great one every so often and bammer has great seasons every year. we have been as consistent as any other team in that span. yes we has some bad losses. that also happens to everyone but bammer.

5 minutes ago, alexava said:

Our losses to bammer is not the problem. The problem is that we have mediocre and good seasons usually with a great one every so often and bammer has great seasons every year. we have been as consistent as any other team in that span. yes we has some bad losses. that also happens to everyone but bammer.

Bammer got a guy and gave him the keys to the kingdom to run it as he saw fit to be successful. Therein lies the difference. Auburn has a history of doing the opposite,  so what Auburn achieves is expected. Until the power hungry money donors lose their ego and keep their noses out of things they don't understand it will remain the same. Look at the latest mindboggling episode as an example. 

4 minutes ago, leglessdan said:

Bammer got a guy and gave him the keys to the kingdom to run it as he saw fit to be successful. Therein lies the difference. Auburn has a history of doing the opposite,  so what Auburn achieves is expected. Until the power hungry money donors lose their ego and keep their noses out of things they don't understand it will remain the same. Look at the latest mindboggling episode as an example. 

I remember after Gus' first year here Tuberville commented on the season. He said GM will do well if they will leave him alone. Still not sure who they is and what they do to hinder the coach.

3 hours ago, Tiger said:

Having a .500 winning percentage against Mississippi State over the life of his HC career alone is enough to fire him IMO. Nevermind what it looks like when you pile on all the other stuff that's already been mentioned over the last 3-4 years.

Mississippi freaking State. 

Thank you for saying this. I can't say it out loud in my house. 😁

10/11/14 lost to MSU 38-23

11/8/14 lost to A&M 41-38

11/15/14 lost to Georgia 34-7

Outback Bowl lost to  Wisconsin 34-31 (Barry Alvarez interim coach)

9-12-15 WIN Jacksonville St. 27-20 OVERTIME!

9/19/15 lost to LSU 45-21

9/26/15 lost to MSU 17-9

I was gonna go on but what's the point?  It's just depressing.

58 minutes ago, alexava said:

Agreed.

It's folly for anybody to "compare" themselves with bammer.  Admittedly, I'm tin-foil hat guy but Nick Saban + Emmert + Steve Shaw + REC = Unlevel playing field so there's just no point. MY OPINION ONLY.

However, yes, the "bad" losses ie: ANY loss to MSU...pretty much ever... the bizarro game plans/performances against beatable Clemson teams, the "give up" offense against LSU, close games against the likes of J'ville State or Mercer, the seeming Hex thUga has on Gus, etc.

Those are the fuels that stoke the anti-Gus fires.

If Auburn, regardless of the HC, would almost always look prepared, competent & competitive and show an ability to adapt & adjust there'd be a lot less "whining" with less people whining about the "whiners".

Also it would help if 4 losses would be a "bad year", 2 - 3 losses be a typical year with the occasional 1 loss and always be in contention for the SEC Title.

To me, Auburn Football should have the history, power & resources to strive for those results and should be able to attract a coach who can accomplish this.

However, it appears that there's still some leadership issues at the Admin & BOT levels that prevents them from achieving this goal.

23 hours ago, alexava said:

I don’t need to realize it. I’m not paying it. The people paying this money, well, didn’t want to pay it.

I suppose his successor will work free? 

Had nothing whatsoever to do with paying it. Had everything thing to Harbert’s ego not allowing him to be wrong. I know this is hard for you to understand but nobody involved in this process wanted to keep Gus because they believed in him. In fact you might be the last person on the planet earth besides Gus, his family and uat/uga fans that wanted Gus to stay at AU. Pathetic!

1 hour ago, alexava said:

I remember after Gus' first year here Tuberville commented on the season. He said GM will do well if they will leave him alone. Still not sure who they is and what they do to hinder the coach.

Yes but tubby didn’t know Gus then now that he knows him he understands it’s Gus who messes up Gus. Nobody else. Are you sure your not Gus. I swear you sound just like him with the “ it’s got to be someone else’s fault. If everyone did it my way we would win.” SMH 

25 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Had nothing whatsoever to do with paying it. Had everything thing to Harbert’s ego not allowing him to be wrong. I know this is hard for you to understand but nobody involved in this process wanted to keep Gus because they believed in him. In fact you might be the last person on the planet earth besides Gus, his family and uat/uga fans that wanted Gus to stay at AU. Pathetic!

Let me get this straight......All you people saying this money was there or paying it is not the problem.... You blame Harbert for wanting to keep Gus? Are you also saying Harbert is the same person who owns this money we say wasn’t a problem? 

3 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

did not we come close to losing to Jax St a few years ago? jeepers!

Archived