How will the gift of Desperation alter Gus' Offensive strategy?

shabby

Honestly, I wanted Gus fired but he is here for another year. I'm kind of fascinated with what shape our offensive will take as we move back towards a duel threat quarterback with a coach that has nothing left to lose calling the plays. I have no idea why Lindsey is sticking around as he will be a total non-factor this coming year. I think we will get a bit of a preview with the bowl game but won't really know what the offense will look like next year until Kelly Bryant takes the field. I'm thinking we will see something akin to 2014 but with a better defense. Which gets me to thinking, how many games would we have one with a decent offense in 2014?  Probably 10 and 2 with a win over Bama. Is this a reasonable expectation for the 2019. Probably not. But what the heck, I'm going to enjoy false hope while I can. 

13 minutes ago, shabby said:

Honestly, I wanted Gus fired but he is here for another year. I'm kind of fascinated with what shape our offensive will take as we move back towards a duel threat quarterback with a coach that has nothing left to lose calling the plays. I have no idea why Lindsey is sticking around as he will be a total non-factor this coming year. I think we will get a bit of a preview with the bowl game but won't really know what the offense will look like next year until Kelly Bryant takes the field. I'm thinking we will see something akin to 2014 but with a better defense. Which gets me to thinking, how many games would we have one with a decent offense in 2014?  Probably 10 and 2 with a win over Bama. Is this a reasonable expectation for the 2019. Probably not. But what the heck, I'm going to enjoy false hope while I can. 

We can also falsely hope that Gus understands he has a crap offensive line now and will do a better job of coming up with an offensive strategy to account for having a crap OL. 

Er, desperation was there last year(s), and it appears to be a common response when things are not going his way. His look on the sidelines during the game isn't one of calm and considerate play calling. I more expect there to be a double down on the insanity honestly.

11 minutes ago, Scottie said:

Er, desperation was there last year(s), and it appears to be a common response when things are not going his way. His look on the sidelines during the game isn't one of calm and considerate play calling. I more expect there to be a double down on the insanity honestly.

that is my thinking,also

14 minutes ago, Scottie said:

Double down on the insanity, chew that gum till it's mush and wear facial expressions of total exasperation because he can't for the life of him figure out why his men on the field can't execute his carefully laid plans.  He shows zero sense of confidence on the sidelines, no appearance of knowing what's about to happen or how to counter attack when faced with adversity.

16 minutes ago, Scottie said:

Gus was playing with a fresh contract extension so no it really wasnt there. 

Personally, I don't think desperation is a good motivator for Gus.  I think he shuts down and white knuckles the steering wheel.  What we want to see is a a Gus that's either confident in his game or a Gus that's pushed past desperation into the "I don't give a f___ " zone.  Once the fear is gone, the head clears and with that clarity, good things can happen for him. 

1 minute ago, AURealist said:

Personally, I don't think desperation is a good motivator for Gus.  I think he shuts down and white knuckles the steering wheel.  What we want to see is a a Gus that's either confident in his game or a Gus that's pushed past desperation into the "I don't give a f___ " zone.  Once the fear is gone, the head clears and with that clarity, good things can happen for him. 

I agree. but that was kind of my thinking. desperation brings one to the I got nothing left to lose phase

3 minutes ago, shabby said:

I agree. but that was kind of my thinking. desperation brings one to the I got nothing left to lose phase

Desperation:  "I've got to save this thing and myself."

Past desperation:  "I'm already dead, but I'm gonna do my best to get the job done before I go."  

I personally think we will see a dedicated effort to run the ball more, starting with the bowl game. There is going to be a focused effort on further simplification and execution. This won’t change ability (or lackthereof) to create explosive plays, but I’d expect consistency between drives to increase. 

TBH it depends on who is the QB next year. If we have to rely on Sandburg or Nix then the offense will remain the same considering he depth issue on The OL. If we get Bryant then the quick pass game could be huge. We tried to do this vs Bama which was the right call but guys could catch the dang ball then Stidham was not accurate later

I’ve only seen Gus desperate one time in his career and that was after the 2017 LSU game.  After that game the offense looked totally different and fresh.  That lasted until his goal was met after beating Bama to win the SEC West title.  Somehow that desperation left shortly after his goal was met and he got his contract extension.

The way Gus goes into a season is suspect.  There are a lot of variables this year as in who will be the QB, #1RB and the improvement of the OL.  I would guess Gus will be very confident going into August and not desperate at all.  Late in the evening on August 31st will get him desperate, but he will not know what to do except work on execution problems. He will have two cupcake to prepare for his first SEC game against T A&M.  Jimbo will have been waiting on this game since his meltdown at Jordan-Hare and I can’t imagine this game ending well for Auburn.  You may even see CDG go off on Gus a la the OT game against LSU.

The next two games is what will define the season as he will then be desperate again like 2017 LSU. I’m not sure who will be the OC or even if it matters, but he will be in a fight for his job and not loosing the team.  Depending on the reworked buyout, you could actually see Gus gone after the road game at Gainesville.  

I just don’t have faith in the man’s ability to survive next year.

20 minutes ago, 1auburn1 said:

The "relaxed and confident" fresh-off-the-extension Gus stunk it up so "desparate Gus" can't get much worse.

Actually desperate Gus beat thUGA and turdtown. If he’s going to be the coach let’s at least beat one of those two. 😳🤪

45 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

Actually desperate Gus beat thUGA and turdtown. If he’s going to be the coach let’s at least beat one of those two. 😳🤪

I’ll take desperate Gus all day everyday.  Some people have to be pushed and Gus is obviously one of them.  I got bashed for saying this in another thread but Gus will coach with a chip on his shoulder against Purdue.  Look for Auburn to beat the Boiler crap out of them.

1 hour ago, Mike4AU said:

I agree 100% that we need a duEl threat QB!  Probably the only way Gus can have a winning season next year. 

Good thing Willis, Gatewood, Sandburg, and Nix are all true “dual” threat Qbs.  Pick the best passer out of those four and you’ll have you’re starting QB.  I’m not including Bryant till Tuesday when he makes his decision.

2 hours ago, AURealist said:

or a Gus that's pushed past desperation into the "I don't give a f___ " zone. 

Maybe he can coach with a sniper trained on him at all times?

1 hour ago, Win4AU said:

I’ll take desperate Gus all day everyday.  Some people have to be pushed and Gus is obviously one of them

if you have someone making the kind of money that inspector clouseau makes being the HC at AU, and you you have to pressure,prod and push him to do his job, then you need someone else to take his place that will do that job and will not need outside motivation

I tell you one thing he needs to do next year and that is have his team ready to hit the ground running on opening day. These slow starts and losing games he should win while trying to figure out what kind of team he has won't work. Somehow, he needs to figure that out in the off season. Winning 8 or 9 games before the UGa game is going to be critical. 

23 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

he will come up with one new retarded play since Cox is graduating

The Harrell-cat

less use of carlson,  more trick plays (atleast they worked against bama)  Take one of his pretty interns for a ride on the gus bus and buy a burner phone. 

4 minutes ago, IronMan70 said:

I tell you one thing he needs to do next year and that is have his team ready to hit the ground running on opening day. These slow starts and losing games he should win while trying to figure out what kind of team he has won't work. Somehow, he needs to figure that out in the off season. Winning 8 or 9 games before the UGa game is going to be critical. 

What was this year??  3 - 0 or  2 - 0heading into LSU.    The problem this was very poor o line play and poor QB play along with the defense unable to get off the field when needed

Archived