Chip Out As AU OC (thread title updated)

TitanTiger

1 minute ago, BigWhiskey91 said:

People roll their eyes but I’d rather see this type of “ownership” if Freeze is off the table. Just don’t see us doing anything more than hiring Bentley and the same rumors of meddling occur. 

Since he doesn't let coaches do their job I completely agree. Let him go down with his own damn ship & not bring anyone else new down with him.

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, BJCrawford said:

How has Lashley done? This is not a set up question .....real question bc I have not followed him

Very, very well.

Lashlee, whose hiring almost exactly one year ago was the sort of bold move that AD David Benedict needed to make to win over skeptics of the re-hiring of Randy Edsall, exceeded expectations in his one year in Storrs.

From an aesthetic point-of-view, UConn’s offense in 2017 looked much more like your run-of-the-mill FBS offense than in years previous, when it looked like The Black Plague, But For Football. The play-calling was generally smart, and generally seemed to give the Huskies’ playmakers the chance to run in the open field.

From a statistical point of view, the turnaround was immense; the offense scored nearly 10 more points per game and gained 1,000 more yards than it did in 2016. And even though that’s partly due to the offense’s increased tempo, those numbers aren’t mirages: after finishing 127th out of 128 teams in offensive S&P+ rating (an advanced stat measuring play-by-play efficiency, adjusted for tempo) in 2016, Lashlee’s Huskies jumped all the way up to 74th. You couldn’t have asked for much more of a turnaround in one calendar year.

Given what became of the defense in 2017, it’s fair to say that Lashlee is responsible for coaxing all three of UConn’s wins this season, and his system — along with the maturation of the offensive line and a very competitive group at quarterback — had a real shot at giving UConn a bowl-caliber offense in 2018 (please ignore that UConn would also have to play defense).

Our own offense also showed immediate, dramatic improvement when he took over full play-calling duties in 2016.

11 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

Yes lol.  Also it is a total Auburn/Gus move to bring in Bentley or promote Kodi.  I will jump off of a roof if that happens.

make sure you have a bouncy castle like Michael did in the Office!!!

9 minutes ago, ellitor said:

In all seriousness I could see Gus name himself OC, move Kodi to QB coach & hire a new WR coach. Would be a total Gus thing to do.

I was actually thinking the same thing with Gus.  LOL

35 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Wish nothing but the best to Chip, sorry he had to put this mark on his resume and be lied to by an egotistical dufus.

Agree. Never thought of him as a great hire but i was "ok" with it thinking he'd be able to have more control than Scott did. I actually feel a little bad for him. I'm happy he's getting out now. Smart move b/c the upcoming football season he'd likely be without a job by the end.

34 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Ok, we’ve known this was coming. Now lets see how long it takes Gus to get his guy. 

As in promoting Kodi to OC. I'd love to know who his guy is. This should be interesting. 

6 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Since he doesn't let coaches do their job I completely agree. Let him go down with his own damn ship & not bring anyone else new down with him.

Just hate it for the players in this scenario.

1 minute ago, AUTiger25 said:

With Kelly Bryant announcing tomorrow where he goes, how soon does AU announce the new OC?

Right after KB announces to Mizzou.

If Bryant is serious about Auburn, I would think he would have to postpone his announcement.

If you're a highly sought after QB with options, would you commit to a school with no OC?

1 minute ago, AUTiger25 said:

With Kelly Bryant announcing tomorrow where he goes, how soon does AU announce the new OC?

Don't know but I don't think it factors in the decision. There are reports Chip may not have even been at AU this past weekend during KB's OV.

6 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Since he doesn't let coaches do their job I completely agree. Let him go down with his own damn ship & not bring anyone else new down with him

That seems to be the case.

Quick questions E, aren't most coaches resigned/fired immediately after the final game? I ask because Chip Lindsey spent all week on the recruiting trail and now he's leaving. Seems like that can cause some issues with some offensive recruits..?

Just now, Tiger1992 said:

If Bryant is serious about Auburn, I would think he would have to postpone his announcement.

If you're a highly sought after QB with options, would you commit to a school with no OC?

Not unless I have already been given the information I need before it became public knowledge. 

28 minutes ago, aufan@una said:

What is the chances that Gus doubles down and names himself as OC and then goes and finds someone as a QB coach? 

At least he wouldn't have zero excuses to hide behind or let someone else take the fall. I would not have been for this in the past but since Gus likely has 1 year left to prove himself then...why not? 

2 minutes ago, auskip07 said:

Who would sign up for this job position?    A scott Loffler?     no big name proven coach

Any coach who's willing to take 1 step backward before he takes several steps forward. Lefty's killed it at Va Tech and is head coach at Bowling Green now. That Chizik coaching tree, baby. 

Just now, ellitor said:

Freeze.

I know that's the #1 guy and i'd love to have Freeze IF he's given the chance to change the offense how he sees fit. But here's my concern with that..... My biggest question if we hire Hugh is that will he have the "balls" to put Gus in his place if needed?!! I personally wouldn't take the job if Gus doesn't give me full control to make serious changes to the offense. Like it or not...Gus is going to have some say so with the offense. They're good friends outside of football so will Hugh be strong enough to demand what he needs and the changes he wants if they're working together. I wouldn't want him to be timid on the job with Gus b/c he'd be afraid it would affect their friendship.

2 minutes ago, Tiger1992 said:

It could be they already have the OC and have let KB know. 

Just now, WarEagle1983 said:

I know that's the #1 guy and i'd love to have Freeze IF he's given the chance to change the offense how he sees fit. But here's my concern with that..... My biggest question if we hire Hugh is that will he have the "balls" to put Gus in his place if needed?!! I personally wouldn't take the job if Gus doesn't give me full control to make serious changes to the offense. Like it or not...Gus is going to have some say so with the offense. They're good friends outside of football so will Hugh be strong enough to demand what he needs and the changes he wants if they're working together. I wouldn't want him to be timid on the job with Gus b/c he'd be afraid it would affect their friendship.

I would think (hope) something would be in place that would allow Freeze control, or he wouldn't come regardless of friendship. Business is business. 

2 minutes ago, TigerFanAU said:

aren't most coaches resigned/fired immediately after the final game?

No. A lot of it happens after NSD.

3 minutes ago, TigerFanAU said:

I ask because Chip Lindsey spent all week on the recruiting trail and now he's leaving. Seems like that can cause some issues with some offensive recruits..?

The only one it MAY have an effect with would be Pickens given his very long relationship with Chip.

Archived