Who replaces Chip?

auburnphan

• Replies 717
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, AuburnEagle79 said:

Hugh Freeze might as well come. He'll have a good chance at being our HC in 2020 if I had to guess. We'd essentially keep everyone except Gus. 

I think there is a chance that a few more assistants will leave this year. Like Chip - they are grateful for the opportunity but I think a few more want out. 

1 hour ago, Beaker said:

The smart play really is for Gus to be HC/OC and go hire a QB whisperer.

- removes all the controversy about who is running the O side or calling plays

- streamlines the communication to the QB

- if we can hire a legit QB coach,  we now have someone to develop QBs

- squarely places all the accountability on one guy

- Gus does best when he is desperate

I think this is in our best interest even though I am not getting back on the bus, period.  

Darn...I just read nearly the same thing on the web.   If some reporter or beat writer thinks this, my thoughts are probably tainted.

I still like my reasoning.

As for Coordinators, I just have a shallow feeling that Gus' professional contacts in the coaching biz is pretty limited.   B/C of this, I am thinking there isn't  a big pool of candidates.

Can anyone comment on that thought? Anyone know?   Think about it - we didn't exactly go get a 'homerun' OL coach when we desperately needed one.   There is a reason.

I don't see why people are saying that Gus being his own OC is the right move. I get the idea of him either sinking or swimming with his own shot but don't you guys remember how we got here in the first place? Does anyone not remember what 2015 was like? Or pre-Rhett taking the reigns in 2016? 

This is not some promising situation IMO. If he gets a QB that can run and avoid pressure and turn Gus' transparent and predictable playcall into any positive yardage it will make Gus look smart but I promise you the clockwork calls of running up the gut aren't just going to magically disappear. You can't tell me both Rhett and Chip just had an affinity with trying to wedge the RB up the RG's butt crack on every first down. That is signature Gus. 

Or perhaps, invoking the late Jim Morrison, we are in a situation of "I've been down so damn long that it looks like up to me". We've been so emotionally beaten by this whole Malzahn ordeal (consistently looking unprepared, not sure who's calling the O, being flatly dishonest to the media, unwillingness to change to increase the team's chance to win games, etc) that the good vibes of 2013 and 2010 are making people drunk again.  I can't believe some are thinking it's best for our program to have Gus go back to handling all HC duties as well as shouldering the entire OC's job at the same time. The man does, point blank, not have the capacity to do this.

He is not a Head Coach at this level. He is a man who built an offensive system and without the full opportunity to study and dissect defenses throughout the course of the week he is only half the playcaller he was when he was employed as an OC.

Just now, Tiger said:

I don't see why people are saying that Gus being his own OC is the right move. I get the idea of him either sinking or swimming with his own shot but don't you guys remember how we got here in the first place? Does anyone not remember what 2015 was like? Or pre-Rhett taking the reigns in 2016? 

This is not some promising situation IMO. If he gets a QB that can run and avoid pressure and turn Gus' transparent and predictable playcall into any positive yardage it will make Gus look smart but I promise you the clockwork calls of running up the gut aren't just going to magically disappear. You can't tell me both Rhett and Chip just had an affinity with trying to wedge the RB up the RG's butt crack on every first down. That is signature Gus. 

Or perhaps, invoking the late Jim Morrison, we are in a situation of "I've been down so damn long that it looks like up to me". We've been so emotionally beaten by this whole Malzahn ordeal (consistently looking unprepared, not sure who's calling the O, being flatly dishonest to the media, unwillingness to change to increase the team's chance to win games, etc) that the good vibes of 2013 and 2010 are making people drunk again.  I can't believe some are thinking it's best for our program to have Gus go back to handling all HC duties as well as shouldering the entire OC's job at the same time. The man does, point blank, not have the capacity to do this.

He is not a Head Coach at this level. He is a man who built an offensive system and without the full opportunity to study and dissect defenses throughout the course of the week he is only half the playcaller he was when he was employed as an OC.

I don't think it's the right move but it might be the only move tbh. It has been said that Gus doesn't trust anyone enough to run the offense. Well, what decent OC wants to come into that? It will either be someone he knows or someone with little track record. 

1 hour ago, DAG said:

1 post 

here is me specifically saying he should do it to prove us doubters wrong 

zeek says the same thing and we specifically reply to him that he should do it to finally answer questions

took about 10 minutes to search for this stuff with links. Oh and without your input. See how easy that is? So I actually hope he does this and prove us doubters wrong. So you , poet and 64 can also find a definitive answer on your guy. He is an offensive Guru? Let’s see it then for the Gus Gobblers.

#MeToo  :laugh:

1 hour ago, auburntiger1987 said:

A lot of underwhelming names on that list

many of those names are potential game changers as OC if Gus can keep his sticky hands off of the the play calling and let them do their job.

1 minute ago, Tiger said:

I don't see why people are saying that Gus being his own OC is the right move.

Personally, I think there are MAYBE 3 or 4 people who want that because they still think he's an offensive genius and that he will succeed. 

Everyone else sees it as the clearest path to us moving forward as a program, I'm guessing. 

7 minutes ago, DAG said:

I don't think it's the right move but it might be the only move tbh. It has been said that Gus doesn't trust anyone enough to run the offense. Well, what decent OC wants to come into that? It will either be someone he knows or someone with little track record. 

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Personally, I think there are MAYBE 3 or 4 people who want that because they still think he's an offensive genius and that he will succeed. 

Everyone else sees it as the clearest path to us moving forward as a program, I'm guessing. 

You guys are right. It's probably the only way forward but man what a craptastic spot to be in.

IDK why I got so triggered LOL. I'm never this cranky on basketball gamedays. Woooooooooooooosaaahhhhhh

11 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I don't see why people are saying that Gus being his own OC is the right move.

I don't think it is so much the right move as it is the reality of the way things are going to be whether we want it or not. Gus is not giving up control of the offense and having some sort of tug of war with the coordinator every season for offensive control is not working. At least this way we would have one direction to go with the offense under Malzahn's control which would remove confusion for the players and coaches and at the end of the year we would know who to credit or blame for offensive success or a lack of success. With all of the turmoil around the program right now, I doubt we have a lot of options for a good OC anyway.

51 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

I, also, mentioned this a while back.  Gus is desperate and he is withdrawing within himself.  He is convinced that he knows and everybody else can’t know what he knows, therefore, Kodi is the natural choice. As for the OL coach, I would think he retains Grimes as he knows how to teach his blocking scheme and Gus (in his mind) has witnessed the improvement in the OL at the end of the season.

The one thing that I hope is that either Kelly Bryant or Tate do not come to Auburn to bail Gus out.  This wish in no way is anti-Auburn, but a pro-player stance for the athletes Gus has recruited. I want Gus to prove he can develop a QB that he recruited from HS.  He hasn’t done it yet.  I think he only has this year to prove himself, it should be highly entertaining in a macabre sort of way.

Just me spitballing based on the current situation...

Gus admitting that he's the OC, gameplanner, playcaller & doing it with a QB that he recruited from HS.... maybe this is all part of his supposed revised contract.

Maybe the PTB are saying the same thing to him that many of us believe.  "No more excuses.  Show us what you got. ......put up or shut up".

Not like he has to truly be hands-on & oversee everything (aka: micromanage).  Appears Porter has ST under control and Steele is in charge of the D.  

They could use some major Offense Recruiting help though and revamp the Offensive Line philosophy....

1 minute ago, nurbis said:

I don't think it is so much the right move as it is the reality of the way things are going to be whether we want it or not. Gus is not giving up control of the offense and having some sort of tug of war with the coordinator every season for offensive control is not working. At least this way we would have one direction to go with the offense under Malzahn's control which would remove confusion for the players and coaches and at the end of the year we would know who to credit or blame for offensive success or a lack of success. With all of the turmoil around the program right now, I doubt we have a lot of options for a good OC anyway.

Yup you're right. I just had an emotional reaction and that brought me 2015-2016 flashbacks LOL. Not a good spot to be in at all but hoping we can make the best of it.

Then there's the whole, do we even want Gus to do well enough to keep him even longer at AU? I'm obviously not rooting for AU to lose games, but if more Ls means it pushes Gus out I think the end would justify the means and I wouldn't be too mad.

However, I will be upset if we win 8 games and that's reason enough to consider him "safe" for another year.

1 hour ago, I_M4_AU said:

The one thing that I hope is that either Kelly Bryant or Tate do not come to Auburn to bail Gus out.  This wish in no way is anti-Auburn, but a pro-player stance for the athletes Gus has recruited. I want Gus to prove he can develop a QB that he recruited from HS.  He hasn’t done it yet.  I think he only has this year to prove himself, it should be highly entertaining in a macabre sort of way.

This is my concern as well. We will be in a never ending cycle if we do this. The talent Gus signs is enough to keep his head just above water and mitigates some of his coaching boneheadedness. His recruiting ability may be Auburn's biggest curse if you look at the big picture.

8 minutes ago, Tiger said:

IDK why I got so triggered LOL. I'm never this cranky on basketball gamedays. Woooooooooooooosaaahhhhhh

That's why we love you, T. You being triggered is like some of us being on our best behavior. 

And in both cases, that's what a brutally underachieving football season does to folks. 

1 minute ago, AUsince72 said:

Maybe the PTB are saying the same thing to him that many of us believe.  "No more excuses.  Show us what you got. ......put up or shut up".

This is exactly what I think.  It will be interesting to see who Gus hires for openings. If, as been suggested, Kodi is the OC it would lean to the rumor the Leath and Harbert said his hires must be cost neutral.  This one act leverages Gus to prove he is the offensive genius he is.  As you say “put up or shut up”.

I believe Gus has been leveraged and he doesn’t even know it.

23 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I don't see why people are saying that Gus being his own OC is the right move. I get the idea of him either sinking or swimming with his own shot but don't you guys remember how we got here in the first place?

Speaking for myself, this is the primary reason.  I'm tired of the excuses.  I, personally am way off the bus.... it's not even in sight.  I don't think he'll succeed either; especially if he doesn't get a KB or KT transfer and has to depend on his recruits. 

Also, I don't think Bo or Cord will be the Gus answer either....unless he can go back and watch 2009 film or Tulsa film and adapt.  Adapt.... there's that word that Gus seems to ignore.  No, he needs to bring Willis or Gatewood up to speed IMHO.  If he can do that, adjust the aggressiveness of the OLine, then that will certainly be interesting.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.  I have no problems with Crow recipes.  A Crow-fil-e biscuit with tots and gravy might go down nicely with an SECC and victories over 2 of the big 3.

I had heard at one point Freeze was the man by good sources, now we are hearing Kodi might be the OC by reliable sources.  Could be true and could be false and Gus could surprise all of us!

5 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

I had heard at one point Freeze was the man by good sources, now we are hearing Kodi might be the OC by reliable sources.  Could be true and could be false and Gus could surprise all of us!

Message Board Mantra!

52 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

many of those names are potential game changers as OC if Gus can keep his sticky hands off of the the play calling and let them do their job.

There are some nice names, probably too nice. I was more looking at Kodi and some highschool guys on that list that would be blah

I don't think there is anyone here really believing Kodi Burns is going to be the OC.      Waste of time talking about it.   

Imagine if we lose a coach or T Horton is replaced this winter.

You think Kodi Burns is picking up a phone to recruit a RB coach?    funny

2 minutes ago, Beaker said:

I don't think there is anyone here really believing Kodi Burns is going to be the OC.      Waste of time talking about it.   

Imagine if we lose a coach or T Horton is replaced this winter.

You think Kodi Burns is picking up a phone to recruit a RB coach?    funny

Do you think any of our previous OC have hired a replacement offensive coach?

23 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Speaking for myself, this is the primary reason.  I'm tired of the excuses.  I, personally am way off the bus.... it's not even in sight.  I don't think he'll succeed either; especially if he doesn't get a KB or KT transfer and has to depend on his recruits. 

Also, I don't think Bo or Cord will be the Gus answer either....unless he can go back and watch 2009 film or Tulsa film and adapt.  Adapt.... there's that word that Gus seems to ignore.  No, he needs to bring Willis or Gatewood up to speed IMHO.  If he can do that, adjust the aggressiveness of the OLine, then that will certainly be interesting.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.  I have no problems with Crow recipes.  A Crow-fil-e biscuit with tots and gravy might go down nicely with an SECC and victories over 2 of the big 3.

IMO that’s contributed a lot to our recruiting woes.  A player either fits Gus’s system or he doesn’t.  There’s been little if any effort to adapt the system to the players.  This in turn leaves little margin for error in the player evaluations during the recruiting process.  We’ve had a number of highly skilled players arrive on campus and play very little before promptly announcing their intentions to transfer.  A truly great offensive coordinator can mold his system to fit the capabilities of his players.  

Archived