Who replaces Chip?

auburnphan

1 minute ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

That would be a much better move for Freeze long term .

Eh, Tallahassee isn't the best place to live and I think Taggart might be below Freeze's level a little bit. Who knows he could but I wouldn't recommend it for him.

• Replies 717
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Zeek said:

Eh, Tallahassee isn't the best place to live and I think Taggart might be below Freeze's level a little bit. Who knows he could but I wouldn't recommend it for him.

I was referring to Taggert will be at FSU longer than Gus will be at AU

My guess is that Gus already has someone lined up to take the job.  It’s either Freeze, Briles, or someone is coming out of left field that is going to make us go, huh?  WTF?  

4 minutes ago, weagl1 said:

My guess is that Gus already has someone lined up to take the job.  It’s either Freeze, Briles, or someone is coming out of left field that is going to make us go, huh?  WTF?  

I don't know if anything at this point will make anyone go huh? WTF?

https://www.al.com/expo/sports/erry-2018/12/deb03d9bea4684/12-potential-candidates-for-au.html

Who could replace Chip Lindsey as Auburn's offensive coordinator?
Chip Lindsey's time as Auburn's offensive coordinator is over after two seasons, and now Gus Malzahn will need to hire his third offensive coordinator of his tenure on the Plains.

Auburn's offense will return several key skill players, but could be breaking in a new quarterback in 2019.

Here's a look at 12 potential candidates to be Auburn's next offensive coordinator:

Hugh Freeze, Arizona Hotshots OC
Freeze will be the top candidate to take over as Auburn's offensive coordinator after a one-year exile from the SEC. Freeze, who is currently the offensive coordinator for the AAF's Arizona Hotshots, spent five seasons as the head coach at Ole Miss before leaving amid scandal. Like Gus Malzahn, he is a former high school coach, and he is one of Malzahn's closest friends in the coaching industry. He was also Malzahn's predecessor at Arkansas State in 2011.

Freeze is reportedly a candidate to be the offensive coordinator at Tennessee under Jeremy Pruitt, though Auburn could offer a comfortable landing spot for the beleaguered former head coach, whose daughter is a student on the Plains. The questions are: Would Auburn accept Freeze's baggage, and would the SEC accept it after essentially blocking Freeze from being hired at Alabama a year ago?

Eliah Drinkwitz, NC State OC
Drinkwitz was Malzahn's running backs coach at Arkansas State in 2012 and stayed under Bryan Harsin in 2013 before following him to Boise State in 2014 and served as offensive coordinator in 2015. Drinkwitz spent the last three seasons at NC State, leading the Wolfpack to the No. 22 scoring offense in the nation this season.

Jeff Scott, Clemson co-OC
Scott is familiar with Malzahn and Auburn's staff, having spent time with them over the years. He has been Clemson's co-offensive coordinator the last four seasons, helping Clemson win four straight ACC titles and four consecutive College Football Playoff berths. As a bonus: Scott could be an interesting fit, especially if Auburn lands former Clemson quarterback Kelly Bryant as a grad transfer when Bryant makes his decision on Tuesday. 

Mike Yurcich, Oklahoma State OC
Yurcich was in the mix the last time Auburn was in search of an offensive coordinator. He interviewed for the position and ultimately withdrew his name from consideration. Still, Yurcich could be a candidate again after spending six seasons with the Cowboys, helping provide a high-powered offense in Stillwater. 

Kendal Briles, Houston OC
Last week, Briles pulled his name out of the search for the Texas State head coaching position and agreed to a three-year extension to remain as Houston's offensive coordinator. The question is: Has he signed that extension yet? Gus Malzahn has a relationship with Briles and his father, former Baylor coach Art Briles. Kendal Briles was not considered for the position two years ago when it was open.

Larry Fedora, former UNC head coach
Fedora was fired as head coach at North Carolina, where he coached for seven seasons. Before that, Fedora was head coach at Southern Miss for four seasons and has an extensive background as an offensive-minded coach.

Mike Sanford, former Western Kentucky coach
Sanford was recently fired as Western Kentucky's head coach, and while he's likely a longshot for this position, he is a respected offensive mind with experience as an OC at both Notre Dame and Boise State.

Bobby Bentley, South Carolina RB coach
Bentley, who has been Will Muschamp's running backs coach at South Carolina for the last three seasons, served as an analyst on Malzahn's staff for two seasons as an offensive analyst. The longtime high school coach back in South Carolina, where he's a coaching legend, is a longtime friend of Malzahn's. The one knock: He has never been a college offensive coordinator.

Kodi Burns, Auburn co-OC/WR coach
Burns has been Auburn's wide receivers coach and co-offensive coordinator for three seasons. He would be the logical option if Malzahn wanted to make an in-house hire, as he has not only helped coach the offense the last three years but played under Malzahn when he was offensive coordinator in 2010.

Brandon Streeter, Clemson QB coach
Streeter has spent the last four season as Clemson's quarterbacks coach, working with Deshaun Watson, Kelly Bryant and Trevor Lawrence while helping win a national title and four straight ACC titles at Clemson, where he has also been recruiting coordinator. Streeter has not called played at the FBS level, having previously done so at FCS Richmond. 

Josh Floyd, Hewitt-Trussville head coach
Floyd was Malzahn's quarterback at Shiloh Christian in Arkansas and is now one of the top high school coaches in the state at Hewitt-Trussville, which has churned out several prospects to Auburn and Alabama in recent years. Malzahn has a soft spot for high school coaches, especially ones with close relationships to him. It would be a big step for Floyd and a potential gamble for Malzahn, but an intriguing move nonetheless.

Brent Dearmond, Bethel head coach
Dearmond has spent the last season as head coach at his alma mater, Bethel University, where former Auburn quarterback/receiver Jonathan Wallace is on his staff. Dearmond previously spent two seasons on Malzahn's staff at Auburn as an offensive analyst -- working with running backs in 2013 and receivers in 2014 -- before becoming the offensive coordinator at Arkansas Tech for three seasons. This is another longshot candidate, but he is a Malzahn guy,

Tom Green is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Tomas_Verde.

I’d be stoked with Freeze, Briles, or Jeff Scott. Assuming they got to run what they want, I’d actually have the slightest sliver of hope. 

His tweets are private so I can't share but @AuburnOvertime says that Gus has the green light and support to hire Freeze...

If he hires Freeze then you can bet the Josh Moon reports were 100% bunk.  Freeze would have to be completely insane to get anywhere near Auburn if this football program is anything close to as dysfunctional as has been described.  I'm betting Patrick Nix is coming as QB coach and Gus Malzahn takes the handlebars back "officially".

1 minute ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

If he hires Freeze then you can bet the Josh Moon reports were 100% bunk.  Freeze would have to be completely insane to get anywhere near Auburn if this football program is anything close to as dysfunctional as has been described.  I'm betting Patrick Nix is coming as QB coach and Gus Malzahn takes the handlebars back "officially".

Possibly 

22 minutes ago, Zeek said:

His tweets are private so I can't share but @AuburnOvertime says that Gus has the green light and support to hire Freeze...

There are about 3-4 programs that probably have the green light to hire Freeze.  He has to choose between OC at UT, FSU, or Auburn or HC at Liberty.  All of these teams would hire him immediately if he gave them the green light.  Freeze is basically a 5* commit taking all his cruitin visits 

1 minute ago, Win4AU said:

There are about 3-4 programs that probably have the green light to hire Freeze.  He has to choose between OC at UT, FSU, or Auburn or HC at Liberty.  All of these teams would hire him immediately if he gave them the green light.  Freeze is basically a 5* commit waiting to commit

Yes but it would be big news for us to have the green light. Some seemed worried about Auburn not approving of the decision due to his past transgressions.

Personally I would take the Liberty job but I'm a fan of program building. Wouldn't want to live in Tallahassee. Tennessee might not be bad if he wants to avoid Bama, LSU, and Texas A&M. If he comes to us I would see it similar to Muschamp; likely a one and done. 

Just now, Zeek said:

Yes but it would be big news for us to have the green light. Some seemed worried about Auburn not approving of the decision due to his past transgressions.

Personally I would take the Liberty job but I'm a fan of program building. Wouldn't want to live in Tallahassee. Tennessee might not be bad if he wants to avoid Bama, LSU, and Texas A&M. If he comes to us I would see it similar to Muschamp; likely a one and done. 

How does he avoid Bama at Tennessee?

17 minutes ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

That wouldn't be all bad but with new restrictions on salaries can we match Pinson Valley? 

2 hours ago, PigskinPat said:

If Gus would let them do their job, my wishlist is Freeze or K Briles.

Yes, and hell yes.

4 minutes ago, AUbritt said:

How does he avoid Bama at Tennessee?

Being in a different division at least. Though he's given Bama fits before.

5 minutes ago, around4ever said:

That wouldn't be all bad but with new restrictions on salaries can we match Pinson Valley? 

IKR.

There was a rumor about Nix taking over for a certain 7A coach who owns the career coaching wins record.  He was supposed to announce his retirement around the last game of the season and then it didn't happen.  Maybe Nix wasn't going to be available...probably BS, but it seems legit.

34 minutes ago, auburntiger1987 said:

A lot of underwhelming names on that list

A lot of "ties to CGM" on that list...

3 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Being in a different division at least. Though he's given Bama fits before.

But they play Bama every year (like we play UGA).

51 minutes ago, weagl1 said:

Exactly.

I've wondered if Gus pretty much knew all along that he would end up with Kelly Bryant and Freeze/Briles.  If the reduced buyout is true, he must feel pretty certain next year will be good.  Which made me wonder if he knew something we didn't.  Or at least thought he did.

Archived