Who replaces Chip?

auburnphan

Kodi is about the best Gus can do for OC since 2019 will most likely be Malzahn's final season at Auburn. GM still needs to hire a QB coach.

• Replies 717
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Beaker said:

As for Coordinators, I just have a shallow feeling that Gus' professional contacts in the coaching biz is pretty limited.   B/C of this, I am thinking there isn't  a big pool of candidates.

Can anyone comment on that thought? Anyone know?   Think about it - we didn't exactly go get a 'homerun' OL coach when we desperately needed one.   There is a reason.

Great question and I think if we look back, we'll get the answer.

Gus had to be "meddled" with to get some of the Asst's & Coordinators he's had since he's been here.  

CGM has/had few coaching connections because he had little to no experience as a HC.  Huge question marks arose when he was hired because no one knew if he could assemble and SEC level staff - hell, he wanted to bring the majority of his Arkansas State staff with him.  He wanted Casey Woods as WR coach over DCraig, Woods ended up coming to AU in a off-field position.  And much of the tension bwtn CGM & DCraig was because Craig was a good ol' boy network "suggestion" DCraig was pushed on Gus.  

Did Gus even know who Travis Williams was?  TW had no resume but his background was AU, TW was pushed on CGM.  Muschamp was a power move pushed on CGM.  Gus never wanted Muschamp, a former SEC HC and a guy who could easily overshadow him or even steal his job, "sharing" the team with him.  Muschamp wasn't here but a few weeks/months when he critiqued Gus' recruiting philosophy and evaluation processes and called it out to the AD.  Muschamp saw how Gus operated his off-season and fall camp practices and called out those deficiencies as well.  The Steele hire was another power move by people other than Gus working behind the scenes.  Gus was basically told to relinquish the defense and let Muschamp/Steele take 100% control because Gus didn't know WTH to do.

Gus brought an under-qualified Rhett Lashlee with him, the AD basically had to squeeze his balls in a vice grip to eventually force Gus to make the OC switch. And he still went with a known factor in Chip Lindsey.  Should we mention an under-qualified Kodi Burns as WR coach?  Or his old buddy Herb Hand , or even JBG's re-hire?

CGM lives in his own little bubble and he trusts very few people except guys he's been closely connected with.  The SEC is way too much for the man, and like it or not there are or were people at Auburn that have to basically lead him around, and make the basic staff hires because if not, he'd have a bunch of former players (Rhett/Kodi), high school level coaches, or Arky State type coaches filling this staff if they didn't.  

1 minute ago, keesler said:

there are/were people at Auburn that have to basically lead him around, and make the basic staff hires because if not, he'd have a bunch of former players (Rhett/Kodi), high school level coaches, or Arky State type coaches filling this staff if they didn't.  

In the past I would have said you were crazy... but now I am starting to agree with you. There is too much smoke to not be a fire. People just want to get away from him - even if it means taking less pay at a bad job. I know nobody in the coaching ranks will talk as it is like one big fraternity, but it seems pretty obvious that he is just not meant to be a head coach. He may still be a great OC (if that was his only job). 

10 minutes ago, DAG said:

No it literally just post the link. It use to be I could just copy the link, post it on said forum and like magic the link would appear . Looks like technology as failed me !

Weird. 

I blame @RunInRed

16 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Yeah!  That @McLoofus guy has NO .... Like ZERO sense of humor.  You're obviously very familiar with this forum to peg Loof as a humorless misery dweller.

Let's take him out back and kick the sh!t out of'em!!!

tenor.gif

My wife and my in-laws, who were here all last week, are totally on board with this plan. 

Just don't Adriana me! :(

Image result for adriana sopranos gif

6 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

My wife and my in-laws, who were here all last week, are totally on board with this plan. 

Just don't Adriana me! :(

She doesn't look happy here, does she.....

maxresdefault.jpg

7 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

In the past I would have said you were crazy... but now I am starting to agree with you. There is too much smoke to not be a fire. People just want to get away from him - even if it means taking less pay at a bad job. I know nobody in the coaching ranks will talk as it is like one big fraternity, but it seems pretty obvious that he is just not meant to be a head coach. He may still be a great OC (if that was his only job). 

Honestly, I don't doubt CGM can be a great Head Coach...........just NOT at the SEC level in the toughest division in CFB.  

It's nothing personal, he's just in over his head at this level of coaching.   

1 minute ago, AUsince72 said:

She doesn't look happy here, does she.....

maxresdefault.jpg

Absolutely brutal. I had fallen off of the show and just happened to tune back in to that episode. I was like, uh, can we just go back to boring conversations at the Bada Bing or something? 

22 minutes ago, DAG said:

No it literally just post the link. It use to be I could just copy the link, post it on said forum and like magic the link would appear . Looks like technology as failed me !

I don't know if its this, but the other day I posted a link wanting it to embed. I had used the link button and it just placed the link. I posted the link directly in the post, not by using the link button and it posted correctly

Just now, McLoofus said:

Absolutely brutal. I had fallen off of the show and just happened to tune back in to that episode. I was like, uh, can we just go back to boring conversations at the Bada Bing or something? 

Yeah, it certainly had some not so good seasons but was never short of "those" moments.

2 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

I don't know if its this, but the other day I posted a link wanting it to embed. I had used the link button and it just placed the link. I posted the link directly in the post, not by using the link button and it posted correctly

Man I have tried both ways and it just hasn’t worked ugh. I am just going to chalk it up to this new phone. Had no issues on my old one.

8 hours ago, kd4au said:

Agree with all but hiring a QB coach. We know Gus ain't going to pass except for screens and deep throws. So it's a waste, just hire another o-line coach that is a great recruiter and have two o-line coaches so maybe we can get some blocking for those runs up the middle on first down. He also needs to replace Horton and get a top RB coach. Those two coaching positions are much more important to a Gus offense.

We already have a top rb coach on staff in Porter. But yah Horton needs to go. He is not cutting it in recruiting anymore and has not in awhile.

41 minutes ago, keesler said:

Gus had to be "meddled" with to get some of the Asst's & Coordinators he's had since he's been here.  

CGM has/had few coaching connections because he little to no experience as a HC.  Huge question marks arose when he was hired because no one knew if he could assemble and SEC level staff - hell, he wanted to bring the majority of his Arkansas State staff with him.  He wanted Casey Woods as WR coach over DCraig, Woods ended up coming to AU in a off-field position.  And much of the tension bwtn CGM & DCraig was because Craig was a good ol' boy network "suggestion" DCraig was pushed on Gus.  

Did Gus even know who Travis Williams was?  TW had no resume but his background was AU, TW was pushed on CGM.  Muschamp was a power move pushed on CGM.  Gus never wanted Muschamp, a former SEC HC and a guy who could easily overshadow him or even steal his job "sharing" the team with him.  Muschamp wasn't here but a few weeks/months when he critiqued Gus' recruiting philosophy and evaluation processes and called it out to the AD.  Muschamp saw how Gus operated his off-season and fall camp practices and called out those deficiencies as well.  The Steele hire was another power move by people other than Gus working behind the scenes.  Gus was basically told to relinquish the defense and let Muschamp/Steele take 100% control because Gus didn't know WTH to do.

Gus brought and under-qualified Rhett Lashlee with him, the AD basically had to squeeze his balls in a vice grip to eventually force Gus to make the OC switch. And he still went with a known factor in Chip Lindsey.  Should we mention in under-qualified Kodi Burns as WR coach?  Or his old buddy Herb Hand , or even JBG's re-hire?

CGM lives in his own little bubble and he trusts very few people except guys he's been closely connected with.  The SEC is way too much for the man, and like it or not there are/were people at Auburn that have to basically lead him around, and make the basic staff hires because if not, he'd have a bunch of former players (Rhett/Kodi), high school level coaches, or Arky State type coaches filling this staff if they didn't.  

dang....heck of a summary.    I have been working (hard) to stay positive as we know Gus will be coaching in 2019.   Then you drop all this on my head!  It's all good. 

Well stated.   "Those are the facts and they are undisputed." 

7 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Briles has ZERO interest. Not sure why his name is even coming up. 

Good. Shows he is smart enough to stay away from Gus. I am sure Stidham complained about Gus a lot to Baby Briles. I hope He is our next Head coach. Dude is the real deal and a rockstar. 

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

Good. Shows he is smart enough to stay away from Gus. I am sure Stidham complained about Gus a lot to Baby Briles. I hope He is our next Head coach. Dude is the real deal and a rockstar. 

Our next head coach is Kodi Burns! Enough with your dreams!

1 minute ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Our next head coach is Kodi Burns! Enough with your dreams!

Sadly this is probaly not that far off from the truth knowing us!!!! lol

53 minutes ago, keesler said:

The SEC is way too much for the man, and like it or not there are/were people at Auburn that have to basically lead him around, and make the basic staff hires because if not, he'd have a bunch of former players (Rhett/Kodi), high school level coaches, or Arky State type coaches filling this staff if they didn't.  

thank you, kess....you got it down pat, and it is not going to get better....in a perfect world, Malzahn should be winding up his 1st season at arkie....there is no perfect world

1 hour ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Jesus, man. It was a joke. You're reading too much into it. Is he your nephew or something?

And he did not see his offenses at Va Tech after he left here.....A lot goes into a coach being a success and usually talent is a key element. 

8 hours ago, ellitor said:

Kodi Burns???? If that's the case Gus should have just went ahead & left.

I said KB jokingly but it wouldn't be a surprise to me. It would be such a Gus move. 

I think we are at that point where the offense will live or die by Gus hand. He will hire from within but him and only him will game plan and play call. I'm actually a little interested in what he will produce I'f we go back to a duel threat qb

4 minutes ago, shabby said:

I think we are at that point where the offense will live or die by Gus hand. He will hire from within but him and only him will game plan and play call. I'm actually a little interested in what he will produce I'f we go back to a duel threat qb

For those like myself wanting a change, we should be rooting for Gus to take over the offense completely.  That way if he fails next year, there's 100% clear evidence of who the fault lies with.

Just cannot understand why anyone would want Gus running his own offense. He has a playbook that has 5 trick plays, 6 run plays and 4 pass plays in it. I am sick of 17 straight run plays up the middle on 1st down and 1 pass play per game to the fastest player in college football. Please let him bring in a real OC with a real playbook and let this coach run the offense.

3 hours ago, doverstutts said:

thank you, kess....you got it down pat, and it is not going to get better....in a perfect world, Malzahn should be winding up his 1st season at arkie....there is no perfect world

Agreed, there's no perfect world.  And as much as some absolutely hated Jay Jacobs, he actually bailed ol' Gus out more times than not in pushing some coaching changes on Gus.  JJ was the catalyst for Muschamp/Steele and forcing Gus to boot Rhett when he did.   Now, I'm wondering where the pressure from the top will come from?  

My main point was that Gus has been seriously "meddled with" time and time again by the higher-ups at AU.  And given the crap he's pulled over these years, I can see why others would have to lead and guide the man.  If they hadn't done it, there's no telling where AU would be today.

1 minute ago, provibe said:

Just cannot understand why anyone would want Gus running his own offense.

It’s either gotta be all Gus or all OC. No half hearted crap, no blend, no meddling. 

Archived