Who replaces Chip?

auburnphan

4 minutes ago, AURealist said:

If it's Hugh Freeze, we've got a mercenary. 

What does that really accomplish?  Is he going to stay?  Is he going to bother to design and run his own offense?  Is Gus going to listen to him and actually change anything?  I'm skeptical.  I've never felt so apathetic about an OC hire. 

A great interim Head Coach candidate when gus gets  Les Miles'd. He gets to audition for the job and it gets everyone used to Hugh Freeze being our next Head Coach. 

• Replies 717
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Texan4Auburn said:

I am hoping for Fedora or Yurich. They both are Gundy guys.

I know I'm probably the only person that doesn't want baby Briles here

1 agree. I would take HF as well. 

2 agree again. Do not want KB

5 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

A great interim Head Coach candidate when gus gets  Les Miles'd. He gets to audition for the job and it gets everyone used to Hugh Freeze being our next Head Coach. 

Yep that’s the only silver lining to this . 

Hire a QB coach and Gus do like many other head coaches do and be their own OC. Jimbo Fisher, Dan Mullen, Lincoln Riley and any number of other head coaches call their own plays. Some assistant may hold the title of OC, but in reality the head guy is his own OC. There's a secondary benefit to that: The message board whiners can't complain that the head coach is "meddling" in the offense, because it's his offense.

5 minutes ago, Texan4Auburn said:

I am hoping for Fedora or Yurich. They both are Gundy guys.

I know I'm probably the only person that doesn't want baby Briles here, but I know alot of people that have already said they would lose so much respect for Auburn with that hire. Have to give the GF props for the dig also, she goes sure hire Briles... then informed that Corey Myers was available for softball. I like the feisty, she's so fun lol.

I rather have Baby Briles be our next Head Coach. Not just OC. Dude is a rockstar. Look how the FAU offense went off a cliff when he left. Look at Houstons offense the year prior compared to this season? Dude is a freaking beast. Your girl knows best! lol. He was twice named big 12 recruiter of the year as well. My wish list would go: Baby Briles, Freeze then Graham Harrell.

And we would STILL have the only coach to beat Saban!

IMG_0919.GIF

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

Yep that’s the only silver lining to this . 

It would really help to desensitize not just the national media about Freeze being our next Head Coach that would generate but also the PTB. They always seem to care about morally righteous stuff when it comes to football. They always go with the safe hire lately. Thank goodness we did not do this with basketball and BRUUUUUUUUUUUUUCE. 

2 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Hire a QB coach and Gus do like many other head coaches do and be their own OC. Jimbo Fisher, Dan Mullen, Lincoln Riley and any number of other head coaches call their own plays. Some assistant may hold the title of OC, but in reality the head guy is his own OC. There's a secondary benefit to that: The message board whiners can't complain that the head coach is "meddling" in the offense, because it's his offense.

So why doesn’t your guy do that then? Many of us have been saying since he doesn’t trust anybody else, lead the offense himself . He is about to be on his 3rd OC in 7 years anyway.

2 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

And we would STILL have the only coach to beat Saban!

IMG_0919.GIF

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Never even thought of that!!! LOVE LOVE LOVE the gif usage.

5 minutes ago, Mikey said:

If he goes that route I would hope it would be Tee Martin who is looking for a job. Dude is a elite recruiter and one of the best in the country. BUUUUUUUT Gus gonna gus and hire someone he is familiar with and has ties too or is friends with.

I rather have Baby Briles be our next Head Coach. Not just OC. Dude is a rockstar. Look how the FAU offense went off a cliff when he left. Look at Houstons offense the year prior compared to this season? Dude is a freaking beast. Your girl knows best! lol. He was twice named big 12 recruiter of the year as well. My wish list would go: Baby Briles, Freeze then Graham Harrell.

He can coach I agree. I have also seen the comments and the articles written about the programs around here that hire him. Also fear that we would go on probation with him. Ole Miss part duex. He would be successful I think, and has been tagged more than once for his recruitment tactics. Unfortunately we aren't Bama and they wouldn't be ignored.

Wish the Baylor stuff wasn't around, cause he can coach it appears.

2 minutes ago, Texan4Auburn said:

He can coach I agree. I have also seen the comments and the articles written about the programs around here that hire him. Also fear that we would go on probation with him. Ole Miss part duex. He would be successful I think, and has been tagged more than once for his recruitment tactics. Unfortunately we aren't Bama and they wouldn't be ignored.

Wish the Baylor stuff wasn't around, cause he can coach it appears.

Hey man SHOOTERS SHOOT!!! haha. Also YOU HAVE to push the envelope and be that aggressive in crutin when you are at non traditional schools like baylor or Ole Miss. I never fault when those schools get popped for muddying the waters too much in the grey area. If you are as clean as Gus is at those schools they never would of taken off as a program like they did under Freeze and Art. I WILL SAY the Art stuff is radioactive. I am fine with pushing the envelope when it comes to crutin but he totally lost control of his program there and had some dastardly things go on. THAT is a big no no.

17 minutes ago, DAG said:

So why doesn’t your guy do that then? Many of us have been saying since he doesn’t trust anybody else, lead the offense himself . He is about to be on his 3rd OC in 7 years anyway.

Gee, I could have sworn that's what I just suggested!

21 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Gee, I could have sworn that's what I just suggested!

So why doesn’t he do it ? As I posed in the original statement that you chose to overlook. The so called “whiners” have been suggesting this for some time now. 10 steps behind as usual.

I saw an idea I think @GwillMac6 would be in favor of. If we don't land Freeze then how about bringing in a recruiting ace in Tee Martin to be QB coach while Gus is the defacto OC & calls the plays. Tee is from Mobile so he can recruit the South very well. Since he excelled as a recruiter in Cali he can expand our recruiting brand nationally. And he doesn't just recruit QBs & offensive skill players. He also did well landing defensive recruits. If he does a good job next season but the team overall doesn't do well enough for Gus to be retained the AD can ask the potential new HC to find a way to keep Tee on staff.

Also curious on @WarDamnEagleWDE's thoughts on this...

14 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I saw an idea I think @GwillMac6 would be in favor of. If we don't land Freeze then how about bringing in a recruiting ace in Tee Martin to be QB coach while Gus is the defacto OC & calls the plays. Tee is from Mobile so he can recruit the South very well. Since he excelled as a recruiter in Cali he can expand our recruiting brand nationally. And he doesn't just recruit QBs & offensive skill players. He also did well landing defensive recruits. If he does a good job next season but the team overall doesn't do well enough for Gus to be retained the AD can ask the potential new HC to find a way to keep Tee on staff.

Also curious on @WarDamnEagleWDE's thoughts on this...

This!^^ Make it happen, E! Have your people call Gus's people who will then call Tee's people.

1 minute ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

This!^^ Make it happen, E! Have your people call Gus's people who will then call Tee's people.

The only people I have that has a remote shot of getting this to Gus is @passthebiscuits. Lol

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

The only people I have that has a remote shot of getting this to Gus is @passthebiscuits. Lol

E! Have your people call Biscuit's people, who will call Gus's people who will then call Tee's people

7 hours ago, DAG said:

So why doesn’t he do it ? As I posed in the original statement that you chose to overlook. The so called “whiners” have been suggesting this for some time now. 10 steps behind as usual.

I've disagree with @Mikey a lot no doubt but I will give him credit where credit is due. He has said more than a handful of times over the past few years that Gus should be his own OC.

8 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

A great interim Head Coach candidate when Gus gets  Les Miles'd. He gets to audition for the job and it gets everyone used to Hugh Freeze being our next Head Coach. 

You hire Freeze, the team shows great improvement and then you fire the head coach?  For what?  Getting his program back on track?  How does that work?

If the team doesn't improve, why would you keep Freeze on and how much time does he get to improve the team if you do?

4 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I've disagree with @Mikey a lot no doubt but I will give him credit where credit is due. He has said more than a handful of times over the past few years that Gus should be his own OC.

I don't understand why he hasn't just done that the whole time. If you're the offensive genius you act like you are, there isn't anyone who can help you accomplish your vision, better than yourself. And the man has to know he's too stubborn and fickle to share play calling duties. That seems like something he would have figured out at Tulsa, where he was sharing the OC title.

12 hours ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

If he hires Freeze then you can bet the Josh Moon reports were 100% bunk.  Freeze would have to be completely insane to get anywhere near Auburn if this football program is anything close to as dysfunctional as has been described.  I'm betting Patrick Nix is coming as QB coach and Gus Malzahn takes the handlebars back "officially".

I'm not sure who would look worse if his tweet is false, Moon or this board eating it up like we did.  I think we set a record with 120+ pages of discussion on his tweet.

8 hours ago, AURealist said:

If it's Hugh Freeze, we've got a mercenary. 

What does that really accomplish?  Is he going to stay?  Is he going to bother to design and run his own offense?  Is Gus going to listen to him and actually change anything?  I'm skeptical.  I've never felt so apathetic about an OC hire. 

Well, Muschamp was a mercenary essentially and he helped kickstart our defensive prowess again.  They key will be if Freeze leaves after one year, to replace him with a coordinator that can keep the momentum like Steele has done.

Archived