Stidham going pro

gr82b4au

1 minute ago, Win4AU said:

2 things.  Purdue is not that good of a team.  I know everyone is in love with Brohm and they beat Ohio State but I see them being Ole Miss level. 

2.  How different will the offense look with Gus 100% in control.  I know it probably won’t be night and day different but I’d expect a lot more running.  As JF3 proved you just can’t be a running Qb under Gus.  Does Gus trust Malik or Cord to run this offense and make the throws?

hopefully this game is a blowout as it should be and we clear the benches by the 4th.

Love the optimism. :thumbsup:

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

2 things.  Purdue is not that good of a team.  I know everyone is in love with Brohm and they beat Ohio State but I see them being Ole Miss level. 

2.  How different will the offense look with Gus 100% in control.  I know it probably won’t be night and day different but I’d expect a lot more running.  As JF3 proved you just can’t be a running Qb under Gus.  Does Gus trust Malik or Cord to run this offense and make the throws?

hopefully this game is a blowout as it should be and we clear the benches by the 4th.

so what your saying is Auburn will have to make a last ditch drive to get in field goal range to win the game

1 minute ago, TigerOne said:

so what your saying is Auburn will have to make a last ditch drive to get in field goal range to win the game

It's worked before.

3 minutes ago, wde1968 said:

So he had rather be an undrafted FA than play for Gus. SPEAKS VOLUMES

So he came here to play for Auburn. Not Gus. You commit to a school as coaching futures are not certain.

In reality, he'd rather go pro than play for Auburn. I don't blame him. $$$

9 minutes ago, wde1968 said:

So he had rather be an undrafted FA than play for Gus. SPEAKS VOLUMES

He'll get drafted. Teams take quarterbacks with his measurements almost regardless of film and stats. They get desperate.

I'd be fine with a friendly $10 wager on the matter though ;D

Just now, TigerOne said:

Purdue’s defense is not good.  Their offense is pass heavy team similar to Ole Miss.  Auburn gave up some yardage but didn’t allow Ole Miss to score a lot of points.  Gus is best when his backs against the wall and if I’m him I want to make an example out of Purdue especially after some people wanted to replace him with Brohms.

Just now, Zeek said:

He'll get drafted. Teams take quarterbacks with his measurements almost regardless of film and stats. They get desperate.

I'd be fine with a friendly $10 wager on the matter though ;D

Sad thing is people would look at his measurables and draft him , but look at Kyler and do their best to disregard stats due to his measurables.

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Sad thing is people would look at his measurables and draft him , but look at Kyler and do their best to disregard stats due to his measurables.

You would think the Russell Wilson's disproving those concepts would remove the stigma. Kyler could kill on a lot of NFL rosters. I think he could do more with the Bucs roster than what Jameis Crablegs is doing.

Just now, Zeek said:

You would think the Russell Wilson's disproving those concepts would remove the stigma. Kyler could kill on a lot of NFL rosters. I think he could do more with the Bucs roster than what Jameis Crablegs is doing.

You would think so. I read where Mel Kiper said Kyler would be a third rounder . Maybe a second rounder in a perfect world. Thank goodness he is a beastly baseball player like RW too.

19 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Purdue’s defense is not good.  Their offense is pass heavy team similar to Ole Miss.  Auburn gave up some yardage but didn’t allow Ole Miss to score a lot of points.  Gus is best when his backs against the wall and if I’m him I want to make an example out of Purdue especially after some people wanted to replace him with Brohms.

Yep, Gus knows what he has to do to keep his job and is very good at doing JUST enough. In 2016 we were expecting 5-7/6-6 and so 8-5 was technically "exceeding" expectations. I fear we have a similar dynamic playing out next year, though maybe the bar to keep his job will be a game above where it was that year.

So was if confirmed that he actually took the reduced buyout?

2 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

He had zero confidence in his O line this year.  It was plain as day to see and it was a rightful concern.  However, put him behind a good NFL o-line with a better passing scheme and he'll be fine.  The NFL is largely 5-10 yard throws anymore.  He excels at that.  Said it before, but he would exceptional in a Patriots/Steelers style of offense.

Yes because all nfl defensive lines suck. 

2 hours ago, AUFriction said:

But are fans going to jump all over Gus if we lose the bowl game with Malik starting at QB?

Nope. At least I'd hope not. We all know none of the guys behind Stidham are developed. They are going to need game speed reps so they can develop themselves because it's obvious Gus can't get the job done in practice. I mean hell, we already have a very high chance of losing even with Stidham playing. The least Gus could do is let the young guys grow some, but that's doubtful unless Stidham just outright decides not to play. 

1 hour ago, WarTim said:

I’m sorry but Willis is not ready to lead us to a bowl win. Has talent but lacking drastically in experience. Last seen running sideways or backwards to avoid getting killed. JMHO 

Funny, I've watched Stidham do that in every game too.....ALL SEASON. Same thing in our last bowl game. Stidham was running for his life and getting happy feet and getting sacked and making poor throws and all sorts of the same things. The only difference is, Stidham has way more experience. What else does Gus have to lose by playing the youngsters? Damn sure ain't going to lose his job!!Lol. I mean...c'mon man.

As a 1 read QB he has a long road ahead of him getting up to NFL speed. Some guys don't have the NFL brain, but he has never been tasked with much from a mental standpoint so we don't know - but his lack of seeing the field here isn't the most promising however. Apparently, the Baylor offense can be explained in 10 minutes using just a paper napkin to draw all the plays. And we already know how Gus' O is viewed by the NFL in regards to preparing anyone for the next level, so the odds are against him from the jump.

But hey Cam Newton was downright embarrassing in the John Gruden QB Camp during the film/whiteboard session and he's been an NFL MVP.  How many non-biased people would've thought that to be possible after watching that episode?

The good thing is, NFL coaches are bending over backwards looking for guys that look like Stidham and have his skill set. They will invest the resources to give him a shot to succeed.

3 hours ago, Zeek said:

I wish he wouldn't. No offense or slight on him but I'd love to see Malik Willis get the practice and experience as QB1.

Malik deserves an opportunity to show what he can do when called upon for a full game, before the main competition starts in Spring.  He would even have to throw some passes. 

17 minutes ago, leglessdan said:

Nope. At least I'd hope not. We all know none of the guys behind Stidham are developed. They are going to need game speed reps so they can develop themselves because it's obvious Gus can't get the job done in practice. I mean hell, we already have a very high chance of losing even with Stidham playing. The least Gus could do is let the young guys grow some, but that's doubtful unless Stidham just outright decides not to play. 

The ultimate embarrassment would be losing with JS playing all four quarters

3 hours ago, Zeek said:

I wish he wouldn't. No offense or slight on him but I'd love to see Malik Willis get the practice and experience as QB1.

I feel the same about Sandberg. To know if he has any potential.

Just now, SumterAubie said:

Exactly. Is it really terrible to want to see what we have in the future? I am not even thinking about win versus loss in this bowl game as it will doesn’t move the paradigm. Gus is here for another year anyhow. 

9 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

Not saying I think he's the guy moving forward, but I liked how Cord moved in his limited action.

That's the type of runner, at least, our O needs to operate at a fully functional level. He may have the same speed/running ability as Nick Fitzgerald. But this is based on like 4 minutes of watching him.....and not particularly sober. Soooo....

Christmas came early. He literally has no shot of being anything more than a team's desperation third string QB but I guess that still beats another year in Gus Malzahn's system,  learning nothing and losing even more credability.

2 hours ago, WarTim said:

I’m sorry but Willis is not ready to lead us to a bowl win. Has talent but lacking drastically in experience. Last seen running sideways or backwards to avoid getting killed. JMHO 

So what better opportunity for Willis (or Sandberg) to gain some seasoning than in a minor bowl

Archived