Stidham going pro

gr82b4au

JS shouldnt start or appear in the bowl game.  He has nothing more to give to Auburn. I would like to see another person be given a shot to show us what he can do.   Malik Willis being given the chance to spin his wheels and throw a little would be nice to see. 

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, AU64 said:

JMO but JS needs the time in the bowl game ….and I'd like to see us give it our best shot to.  But noticed that LSU's top DB is taking a pass.....and maybe a couple more...

Meh... We know what Stids can (& can't) do.

The game would be much more compelling with someone else at QB, IMO.  

1 hour ago, lost said:

I am all for Stidham deciding as he feels it is best for Him.  But i want to put something in here that might be best in a new thread, BUT  here it goes.  These guys who do not play in the bowls and opt out i have a problem with.  I feel under the circumstances the University should yank the scholarship at that time and make them finish their fees.  Here is my reasoning.  The player does it to avoid injury so he can make his money.  The University is investing their money in him to win that bowl game.  It is imperative to win  a bowl game for many purposes.  To lose a game you should win because a valuable piece is missing goes against recruiting,etc( or could)  .  The team needs him to practice to make the best of that extra time they have because of the bowl game.  I know many will disagree with me, but i was a student athlete, and i know what it means to play and depend on that scholarship for a degree.

I might agree if there was something on the line. But this is the music city bowl. We’re 7-5. If he wants to move on, we’ll figure something else out. I would prefer he stay and win the game. As it stands I will look forward to the others getting a chance. It’s an hour and a half for me. I might go. 

9 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Best of luck to JS! 

Personally, the decision of whether or not JS plays in the bowl game should be up to him. That's just me.

Absolutely, it's his decision.  And God bless him.

I just, personally, am tired of him.  Sorry, in 2018, he's a bust.  We know what the offense is going to look like with him.

I think it would be a very compelling mystery to see what the offense will look like with Malik or Cord as the QB.  Maybe even a true glimpse into '19.

BTW.... Is CCL "coaching" in the bowl or is he already headed to Kansas?

13 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Ding ding!

Maybe but picked some bad comparisons in Tua, Fromm, Book and the kid from Clemson.....all much better HS QBs than MW.....Willis was an afterthought during recruiting and probably a "project" .    

Joey is the one I had some hope for …..but all the rumors and such don't sound good.  During the recruiting and interviews, etc he seemed like a well connected kid......not sure what's happened. 

6 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Absolutely, it's his decision.  And God bless him.

I just, personally, am tired of him.  Sorry, in 2018, he's a bust.  We know what the offense is going to look like with him.

I think it would be a very compelling mystery to see what the offense will look like with Malik or Cord as the QB.  Maybe even a true glimpse into '19.

That's a totally fair position to take. I'm just as curious as you are. 

6 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Gotta believe he's done......but would be nice to get some official word on the staff for the bowl game though it is more than 3 weeks away.   

I recall when Franklin came in about a week before a bowl game and put in a new offense for the game.....which might have been his best coaching effort while at AU.    SO.....guess we will know when Gus or someone reveals the plans.     

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Maybe but picked some bad comparisons in Tua, Fromm, Book and the kid from Clemson.....all much better HS QBs than MW.....Willis was an afterthought during recruiting and probably a "project" .    

Joey is the one I had some hope for …..but all the rumors and such don't sound good.  During the recruiting and interviews, etc he seemed like a well connected kid......not sure what's happened. 

I wasn't really referring to MW for next year.  Had my mind more on Bo Nix.

Getting to see another guy, even if it's terrible, would be more important to me than winning/losing, just for the sheer entertainment of it. Sandberg!

5 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

I wasn't really referring to MW for next year.  Had my mind more on Bo Nix.

I worry about Bo too......I'd like to see Gus get a good QB coach....that was Chip's job.....and we saw how good he was at it with JS.    Chip has had all our guys for 2 years and we are having to look for outside help for next year even.     Sorry we lost KB might have been a good interim for us. 

Sometimes freshmen get forced into starting role but not many HCs like that.     Lawrence at Clemson is an exceptional QB....size and tremendous arm.....and poise under pressure which is rare for a young guy. 

6 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I worry about Bo too......I'd like to see Gus get a good QB coach....that was Chip's job.....and we saw how good he was at it with JS.    Chip has had all our guys for 2 years and we are having to look for outside help for next year even.     Sorry we lost KB might have been a good interim for us. 

Sometimes freshmen get forced into starting role but not many HCs like that.     Lawrence at Clemson is an exceptional QB....size and tremendous arm.....and poise under pressure which is rare for a young guy. 

We haven't developed a really good passer in nearly a decade.  There's one common denominator there and it ain't Chip.

Stidham is looking to his future so we need to start looking towards ours.

This bowl game has zero impact in the grand scheme of things. I know it would never happen, but I’d just as soon give Malik, Cord, and Joey a quarter and whoever has the best quarter, give him the 4th.

4 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Is the "experience" thing really a huge deal anymore though?  Clemson just rolled through their season with a true freshman at QB.  Tua barely played last year and we know what he's doing.  Ian Book at ND had thrown 75 career passes before this season.  Jake Fromm took UGA to the natty last year as a true freshman.  Point being, the experience thing can be overrated.

Maybe the "experience" thing can be overrated, but how many freshman QB's has Gus recruited, signed, developed and had success with while at Auburn? 

5 minutes ago, auelvis87 said:

Maybe the "experience" thing can be overrated, but how many freshman QB's has Gus recruited, signed, developed and had success with while at Auburn? 

Zero including Tulsa, Arkansas and Arkansas State. 

6 minutes ago, auelvis87 said:

Yep.  Already addressed this.  Development is the issue.

2 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Yep.  Already addressed this.  Development is the issue.

Sorry.  Haven't read all the posts since my first post.  Agree with you on development, or lack there of.

19 minutes ago, around4ever said:

Zero including Tulsa, Arkansas and Arkansas State. 

That’s something that really boggles the mind: in his 13 years coaching at the collegiate level, Gus has never recruited a QB and developed him until he graduated or went pro.

5 minutes ago, PigskinPat said:

That’s something that really boggles the mind: in his 13 years coaching at the collegiate level, Gus has never recruited a QB and developed him until he graduated or went pro.

Two points...Until AU , Gus has never been anywhere long enough to have more than a couple years with a QB...and it has been accepted that Gus's offense was not well suited for NFL type and and that has been used against him in recruiting. Don't think he ever had a top HS QB to work with unless you consider JJ. And still waiting on someone to show that Gus actually works with QBs...personally.

Just saying that I think this is a bogus argument...and he is not likely to be the Q B coach for Nix either. Hoping he gets a good one.

6 hours ago, leglessdan said:

Quit worrying about if Stidham gives us the best chance or not. Gus needs to build the younger guys. I mean, think and say what you want of course. I just don't think it matters if we win or lose this game. It's essentially extra practice time.

At what point in time has Gus ever built a QB. I haven't ever Witnessed Gus developing a QB. 

Archived