2019-20 Starting Quarterback

Zeek

Who will start the majority of games for Auburn in the 2019-20 Season?  

148 members have voted

1. 1. Who Will Start the Majority of Games?

• Malik Willis / Junior
    • Cord Sandberg / Sophomore
    • Joey Gatewood / RS Freshman
    • Bo Nix / Freshman
    • Other

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/29/2019 at 01:00 PM

1 hour ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Won’t be a transfer. Everybody knows Gus is gone after his year. KB to Missouri. Bad when we can’t even out recruit Mizzo . Gus got down in his knees and begged and still couldn’t get KB

KBs article was telling. He felt comfortable at AU, family atmosphere, friendly teammates, etc.... Regarding Mizzou, he referenced Lock’s ability to improve under Dooley’s system in such a short time, and Dooley’s NFL experience. He went where there is a track record of development at his position. 

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Won’t be a transfer. Everybody knows Gus is gone after his year. KB to Missouri. Bad when we can’t even out recruit Mizzo . Gus got down in his knees and begged and still couldn’t get KB

KB isn't  coming out  of high school. Guy has been around the block.   Did he want to be coached by a guy who runs a high school offense, has only  put one QB in the NFL, made Stidham worse, was wrong about, Barrett, Queen, Johnson,  and Franklin and Marshal never saw improvement either.  OR..... go to  Mizzu and have an OC that spent five years coaching NFL recievers prep you for  the NFL....................

1 minute ago, Gowebb11 said:

KBs article was telling. He felt comfortable at AU, family atmosphere, friendly teammates, etc.... Regarding Mizzou, he referenced Lock’s ability to improve under Dooley’s system in such a short time, and Dooley’s NFL experience. He went where there is a track record of development at his position. 

That's why I felt it was his best interest a week or two ago.  Mizzou may not be anything special but they actually do have a pretty nice history of QB development.  Especially over the last 10 years.

47 minutes ago, Dan-0 said:

I agree. Tua, Hurts, & Fromm started as freshmen. And Clemson benched KB in favor of  another freshmen. If Bo is on their level we will probably know it his freshmen year. In any case, I would rather see him begin developing as a freshman as opposed to getting a graduate transfer that will be one-and-done.

Me too. Problem is, he will be in an offense where his head coach takes away about half of the field on passing plays, doesn’t know what a tight end is, and has a subpar SEC o-line. Bo is a unique talent, and I hope we dont waste him. 

6 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

I don't expect it to either.

And from the sounds of the supposed "reworked" contract, it sounds like the PTB have sabotaged him to help ensure his failure.

As much as I'm sick of Gus, if this is really true, then that's just borderline criminal.  Certainly unfair and disingenuous on their part.

I'm disappointed in the whole lot of them at this point.

Agreed if there really even was a renegotiation. Word will get around and it'll make us look very bad to coaches looking to come here.

6 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Me too. Problem is, he will be in an offense where his head coach takes away about half of the field on passing plays, doesn’t know what a tight end is, and has a subpar SEC o-line. Bo is a unique talent, and I hope we dont waste him. 

Bo, or whoever our QB may be, is stuck with Gus and whoever our OC is next year. Which probably means throwing one tunnel screen after another. I hope I´m wrong. Maybe Gus will hire Bo´s Dad as OC. He would probably do better than Gus or Chip.

1 hour ago, AUbritt said:

Well, next year does set up well for an undefeated run, after all.

Seriously. With '17 as an outlier, our big runs usually come from out of nowhere lol

Pat Nix is smart enough to whether or not his son is/will be getting adequate coaching. If Gus somehow sticks around after next year and Pat feels like he could be developed better elsewhere I have no doubt in my mind that they will find another school for Bo to attend.

With Bo, there shouldn't be any need for "time to develop", as he has had on-the-field college level coaching for at least 3 years, and more than that at home.  Understanding of coverages, reads, footwork, concepts, mental toughness, etc....it should all be there.  Being there for spring will help him get used to the speed of the game.

I would certainly look for him to be the starter Game 1.

I voted "Other" because  Malzahn will probably rotate three quarterbacks for no good reason, like he did v. Clemson 2016

I am really confused by the Bo Nix votes. There’s a huge learning curve from high school to college. We’ve had equally high profile quarterbacks before, and none of them were ready to start day one. In fact, several of them didn’t pan out at all. The two most notable examples I can think of are Frazier and Jeremy Johnson. A lot of people thought both of them would start as freshmen too, and neither panned out.

I’m also confused by the Sandberg votes. He was out of football for several years, and we really only saw take like 10 snaps in garbage time against Alabama state. 

Unless we pick up a transfer, I’d put money on it coming down to Gatewood and Willis.

13 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

I am really confused by the Bo Nix votes. There’s a huge learning curve from high school to college. We’ve had equally high profile quarterbacks before, and none of them were ready to start day one. In fact, several of them didn’t pan out at all. The two most notable examples I can think of are Frazier and Jeremy Johnson. A lot of people thought both of them would start as freshmen too, and neither panned out.

I’m also confused by the Sandberg votes. He was out of football for several years, and we really only saw take like 10 snaps in garbage time against Alabama state. 

Unless we pick up a transfer, I’d put money on it coming down to Gatewood and Willis.

In what little we’ve seen of Willis thanks to Gussy I just don’t see him as an effective SEC QB.  Maybe he can run the ZR like Marshall but to me Nick’s ability to hit a big pass when he needed to was underrated.  We don’t know if Willis can do that because again Gussy hasn’t seen fit to prepare backups at any position. From all I’ve read mostly on this board Gatewood is a project at QB at best and probably a future position change at worst. Dont’ know much about Sandberg but you’re right it would seem odd with him having been out for a few years. That basically leaves Nix. High school film can be deceiving but the kid looks like the real deal. Of course he will have to succeed on his own talent as he will get no help from Gussy. 

On 12/4/2018 at 7:35 PM, AUsince72 said:

That's why I felt it was his best interest a week or two ago.  Mizzou may not be anything special but they actually do have a pretty nice history of QB development.  Especially over the last 10 years.

Another factor was probably his understandable desire to go to a storied SEC program with a long conference history.

On 12/4/2018 at 7:30 PM, AUbritt said:

Personally, I am ready for Bo to start, even with growing pains. Imagine him in his Junior and Senior years. Will be insane, whoever the coach is. War Eagle!

Do you imagine him in his junior and senior years after starting as a true freshman? With the Gus OL? Crippled both physically and mentally?

Look guys we are overthinking this thing. We get Nix a WR named Sanders and this bad boy is in the bag. Especially that trip to Florida Field next year...Its a done deal if we get us a Sanders and maybe a TE named Fuller?? If...we...used...a...TE...

Archived