Honest statement and take it for what its worth

doverstutts

I did not want him for exactly the reason that you see right now in real time....Malzahn just has no worthwhile pedigree to fall back on....He had never seen the problems that crop up in bigtime football, expecially the SEC, and he is totally unprepared to deal with them....His arrogance does not help him...If we were looking for deacon or sunday school teacher, Gus is our man ( i guess, unless he has a burner phone, too) due to his high character, but we are not.....I thought i was wrong after 2013 and 11 games into 2014, but the bammer game stuck in my craw because i saw his fatal flaw in that game...he cannot operate outside his "bubble"....i didn't want him to fail and gave him benefit of the doubt although i knew i shouldn't....Gus has failed and one more year will only prolong everyones misery.....The proper thing to do is to fire him now and try to salvage what can be salvaged....keeping him is now a monumental mistake...getting bryant would have provided a slight glimmer of hope, but thats now gone....i really am feeling kind of destitute right now

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The signs have been there for a L-O-N-G time.  Some saw it, most didn't (or refused to admit it) but I am not the least bit surprised at how things have turned out (and how they are going to ultimately end).

I don’t know.  It’s just a mess.  I doubt he will make it through next season unless he finds a dynamite offensive coordinator who can come in and rescue him from himself.  I am going to hope for the best and prepare myself for the worst.  

I agree.  Let's start fresh and start the "rebuilding" now.   We pay Gus the same amount whether we keep him or let him go.  There will be no energy in the stadium next year if Gus is still the coach.    I'm 100% behind the players.  

13 minutes ago, BigWhiskey91 said:

So you were okay with the UGA loss in 2014, but the Iron Bowl loss is what made you question Gus? 

i am not "okay" with any loss...the uga could be explain by a letdown from the way the texas a&m game loss occured

Serious questions (forgive my ignorance):

Are we going to save any money at all by paying him his full salary this year and then paying him the 75% of remaining contract buy out next year?   I don’t see it.  That math doesn’t add up to me.  

Is it worth “risking” wasting a year of football, as well as basically 2 recruiting cycles by hanging on to a coach that everyone knows is a lame duck, or at the very least on a blazingly hot seat?   

I cannot find any logic in keeping gus.  None!   Someone please help me understand this.  

Seriously some of you just need to take the year off and come back in 2020 when the new coach is here. Somebody chose not to fire him, so I hope next year he does well. I just can’t root for Auburn to lose to get rid of a coach. So next year I will be optimistic Auburn can win with Gus and he can right the ship, if not then so be it and we all get our wish.

7 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

Seriously some of you just need to take the year off and come back in 2020 when the new coach is here. Somebody chose not to fire him, so I hope next year he does well. I just can’t root for Auburn to lose to get rid of a coach. So next year I will be optimistic Auburn can win with Gus and he can right the ship, if not then so be it and we all get our wish.

This! It's the same complaints everyday in most every thread. We get it that some of you aren't going to watch until Gus is gone. See you when he leaves!

A lot of Auburn fans on here and on other websites refused to believe how bad Malzahn really is. Oh well. I hope those fans will enjoy watching Gus coach next years team to another 7 or 8 wins next season. As the old saying goes, be careful what you ask for. You might just get. In this case, a lot of you did.

24 minutes ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

Are we going to save any money at all by paying him his full salary this year and then paying him the 75% of remaining contract buy out next year?   I don’t see it.  That math doesn’t add up to me.  

Is it worth “risking” wasting a year of football, as well as basically 2 recruiting cycles by hanging on to a coach that everyone knows is a lame duck, or at the very least on a blazingly hot seat?   

I cannot find any logic in keeping gus.  None!   Someone please help me understand this.  

It will cost Auburn $2M more if he is fired after next season. This does not include any salary or buyout adjustments that may or may not have been negotiated last week. 

Why are we talking here as though there is still a chance he will be fired soon? What I read yesterday was that he is telling everyone he is the head coach in 2019.

26 minutes ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

evidently the prez and Harbert need to go to logic school.

Well, at least I'll get to see the team in the bowl game close to what it is now. No telling what it will be next season...Ok, it will be more of the same. Who are we kidding?

Since the UT loss Gus has been promoting his vision of his offense run by Hugh Freeze with Kelly  Bryant at QB to anyone who would listen, and then he can get Auburn back on track.  Well he is a miss on Bryant and if he doesn;'t secure Freeze his plan for next season is done before this season has ended.

23 minutes ago, Swamp Eagle said:

Did missing on Kelly Bryant trigger this thread? 

I hope not. Kelly Bryant would be no game-changing addition to the same ole same ole. 

Isn't it ironic that Auburn Football was counting on a graduate transfer to be the savior of the program? I agree with you, that Bryant might have been an upgrade for Gus' type of offense, but he isn't a Cam Newton or a Nick Marshall, IMO. That is what Gus would need.

11 minutes ago, ToomersStreet said:

Since the UT loss Gus has been promoting his vision of his offense run by Hugh Freeze with Kelly  Bryant at QB to anyone who would listen, and then he can get Auburn back on track.  Well he is a miss on Bryant and if he doesn;'t secure Freeze his plan for next season is done before this season has ended.

Gus will be sh^&-canned in September after losing to A&M and Florida.

Just now, AuburnEagle79 said:

I have a feeling that he will rattle off 10 or 11 wins this year. Rinse, wash, repeat. 

No way. 5 wins more likely.

29 minutes ago, around4ever said:

It will cost Auburn $2M more if he is fired after next season. This does not include any salary or buyout adjustments that may or may not have been negotiated last week. 

I don’t think your math is correct. Technically AU saves $5.25M I believe whenever they do it. You are including next years salary in your number. If you do that, you have to include this years salary with this years buyout. Not to count the fact that you have to pay the new coach too. 

2 minutes ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

I have a feeling that he will rattle off 10 or 11 wins this year. Rinse, wash, repeat. 

Can I get in on the puff, puff, pass?

37 minutes ago, ToomersStreet said:

I hope we can hang onto as many good recruits as we can. After next season, we will lose a lot of players on the OL and other spots. If and I think 99% certain, Gus will be let go either during the season or after the Iron Bowl. It is imperative that we get as many players in this class and hope for at least a top 20 class for 2020. This needs to happen to make whatever coaching transition to happen a better one and hope for a winning 2020 season under new guidance.

I wish Coach Pearl could coach the football team. He would get the best out of the team and could teach Gus (if that it remotely possible) how to coach a game from the first second till the clock ends. Has anyone heard what Coach Dye thinks of all of this?

32 minutes ago, ChltteTiger said:

Why are we talking here as though there is still a chance he will be fired soon? What I read yesterday was that he is telling everyone he is the head coach in 2019.

I think the fired ship has sailed for the year. However........there is some rising smoke that GA Tech might be pursuing him. With Bryant dodging to Mizzou, I’m starting to wonder.

2 minutes ago, SphyNxXx said:

I think the fired ship has sailed for the year. However........there is some rising smoke that GA Tech might be pursuing him. With Bryant dodging to Mizzou, I’m starting to wonder.

Come on Tech!

Archived