Honest statement and take it for what its worth

doverstutts

45 minutes ago, jw 4 au said:

I don’t think your math is correct. Technically AU saves $5.25M I believe whenever they do it. You are including next years salary in your number. If you do that, you have to include this years salary with this years buyout. Not to count the fact that you have to pay the new coach too. 

My, what big font you have!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, ChltteTiger said:

evidently the prez and Harbert need to go to $&@!.

Fixed that for you. Just sayin’ lol

58 minutes ago, jAUSon said:

My, what big font you have!

That’s what she said...

but really i edited a typo and it did that somehow, not really sure how i did that. 

2 hours ago, ToomersStreet said:

Since the UT loss Gus has been promoting his vision of his offense run by Hugh Freeze with Kelly  Bryant at QB to anyone who would listen, and then he can get Auburn back on track.  Well he is a miss on Bryant and if he doesn;'t secure Freeze his plan for next season is done before this season has ended.

Where did zGus say anything about using Bryant or getting Freeze?  I must have missed that.

2 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

A lot of Auburn fans on here and on other websites refused to believe how bad Malzahn really is. Oh well. I hope those fans will enjoy watching Gus coach next years team to another 7 or 8 wins next season. As the old saying goes, be careful what you ask for. You might just get. In this case, a lot of you did.

I'll admit I was in the "1 more year" camp.  I want Auburn to be successful and feel there are things he does well.  Unfortunately,  it is clear it's best to part ways.  The fan base is tearing itself apart, and the media is absolutely fueling the fire.  This will have a huge impact on recruiting and a "death spiral" is coming if we don't make a very good hire.

We had 3 choices: support the staff, fire Gus and take a chance with the unknown, or peel the band aid off in a very slow and painful way - We chose option 3.  

I hope what you said isn't prophetic.  People have been wanting Gus gone, and it is very likely to happen,  just a year longer than most wanted.  The question is how much damage will be done in recruiting and to the allure of AU to coaching candidates.   

All it takes is 1-2 bad recruiting cycles and we could be in for years of rebuilding.   Granted, there could also be upside, but there are plenty of programs that have gone to other way too. I guess we'll see....

In the meantime, I won't be missing games, hoping for losses, or rooting for disaster.  I follow AU football for fun and as a distraction from the stresses of the "real world".  Unfortunately,  in a lot of ways it has become more stressful.

Getting another successful transfer QB would just prolong the mediocrity that is Gus.  Nobody is changing their mind though. So, let if fester until the stink forces a change.

10 hours ago, auburnphan said:

Can I get in on the puff, puff, pass?

It's not a puff pass situation. Im worried that he will have a good year, followed by more mediocre years, leaving us in this constant mess. We are better off long term with a 6 win season and a new coach. 

12 hours ago, GoAU said:

Where did zGus say anything about using Bryant or getting Freeze?  I must have missed that.

There was a good podcast with  Brandon Marcello and a couple of other beat writers before the UGA game.  They said that Gus had been promoting getting Freeze as OC and Bryant at QB to anyone who would listen.

14 hours ago, ToomersStreet said:

Since the UT loss Gus has been promoting his vision of his offense run by Hugh Freeze with Kelly  Bryant at QB to anyone who would listen, and then he can get Auburn back on track.  Well he is a miss on Bryant and if he doesn;'t secure Freeze his plan for next season is done before this season has ended.

Are you serious?  Just who has he been blathering this notion to for the past 6 weeks?  

Seriously, the man chalks up one of the worst losses in the last decade in JHS to a limp UT squad with a 1st yr HC and he then proceeds to go on promoting some hair brained crap about two long shots coming to Auburn (Bryant/Freeze) to save his vision of the offense?

The very idea that a new OC and a transfer QB will come in and miraculously fix this crap is idiotic to say the least.  And for an SEC HC to bank on something like this and promote it to anyone who would listen is comical.

15 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

A lot of Auburn fans on here and on other websites refused to believe how bad Malzahn really is. Oh well. I hope those fans will enjoy watching Gus coach next years team to another 7 or 8 wins next season. As the old saying goes, be careful what you ask for. You might just get. In this case, a lot of you did.

The Gus supporters are in butt hurt denial about how amateur he is. It's ridiculous. Heaven forbid you bring an outside the box viewpoint...you just get a bunch of sheep piling on indicating you are not a true Auburn fan, Gus was good at Tulsa, etc etc. 

3 minutes ago, keesler said:

Are you serious?  Just who has he been blathering this notion to for the past 6 weeks?  

Seriously, the man chalks up one of the worst losses in the last decade in JHS to a limp UT squad with a 1st yr HC and he then proceeds to go on promoting some hair brained crap about two long shots coming to Auburn (Bryant/Freeze) to save his vision of the offense?

The very idea that a new OC and a transfer QB will come in and miraculously fix this crap is idiotic to say the least.  And for an SEC HC to bank on something like this and promote it to anyone who would listen is comical.

It is called "Ego"  and "Hubris".   Remember when a dual  threat QB was the missing piece so  Gus brought in Franklin.   Really Frankln wasnt the missing piece Stidham was the missing piece and we have gone 17-9 with the missing piece.  Gatewood is the next Cam.    Bryant is the missing piece.  Next Bo Nix, that poor young man, will  be the bright future.  The future is bright, we need to get better and we  will  get  better.  We had a good week of  practice.   Do Doubt.

Just now, ToomersStreet said:

It is called "Ego"  and "Hubris".   Remember when a dual  threat QB was the missing piece so  Gus brought in Franklin.   Really Frankln wasnt the missing piece Stidham was the missing piece and we have gone 17-9 with the missing piece.  Gatewood is the next Cam.    Bryant is the missing piece.  Next Bo Nix, that poor young man, will  be the bright future.  The future is bright, we need to get better and we  will  get  better.  We had a good week of  practice.   Do Doubt.

Franklin was the choice that pissed me off the most. Such a lazy recruiting choice. A guy who couldn't even start over a non scholarship sec guy at his juco, but oh hes fast, we can just teach him how to be a qb. Gus needed a dual threat and hitched his wagon to that. Wow. 

15 hours ago, Swamp Eagle said:

Did missing on Kelly Bryant trigger this thread? 

I hope not. Kelly Bryant would be no game-changing addition to the same ole same ole. 

Tell that to  Gus.  I would bethe is freaking out right now.  Apparently he had most of his "Chips" on getting Bryant.  

See what I did there?  I said Chips like  poker Chips, but it also could have meant Chip  Lindsey!  Thats funny.

36 minutes ago, twilli13 said:

Franklin was the choice that pissed me off the most. Such a lazy recruiting choice. A guy who couldn't even start over a non scholarship sec guy at his juco, but oh hes fast, we can just teach him how to be a qb. Gus needed a dual threat and hitched his wagon to that. Wow. 

Do you remember austudent23 (?) or some such inside poster by that handle coming on this board and all but assuring us that Franklin would be the starting QB within a few weeks after the season started?  Even threw up JF3's training with Michael Vick - IIRC.

2 minutes ago, keesler said:

Do you remember austudent23 (?) or some such inside poster by that handle coming on this board and all but assuring us that Franklin would be the starting QB within a few weeks after the season started?  Even threw up JF3's training with Michael Vick - IIRC.

He probably new Franklin.  Promoting his friend.  That was all.  I have a buddy the greww up with Jeremy Johnson.  He wanted to see his friend do well.  but results are results

40 minutes ago, twilli13 said:

And with Jerod Evans in play. 

I will give him credit for taking a swing at Davis Webb. I often wonder what might have been. 

8 hours ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

It's not a puff pass situation. Im worried that he will have a good year, followed by more mediocre years, leaving us in this constant mess. We are better off long term with a 6 win season and a new coach. 

With Auburn it is always a puff, puff, pass situation, lol.  I agree with what you are saying.

6 hours ago, twilli13 said:

The Gus supporters are in butt hurt denial about how amateur he is. It's ridiculous. Heaven forbid you bring an outside the box viewpoint...you just get a bunch of sheep piling on indicating you are not a true Auburn fan, Gus was good at Tulsa, etc etc. 

I'd highly call attacking Gus an outside of the box viewpoint. That has gone on for years.

You do realize the majority of the people that supported Gus for another year here had more to do with how amateur our university is at handling these matters than wanting to keep Gus. Those men have done more damage to the Auburn Athletic Program as a whole in the past 3 weeks than a 6-6 record under Gus next year would have.

32 million dollars is a huge amount of money to get rid of him for one year. Now if we were like Texas aTm and the boosters came out and stated it is our money and no academic funds will be used then cool. Fire him. All we got was rumors of the money being there and we pull 4.5 million from students tuition a year to support athletics as is.

Several of us believed it better for Gus to flame it out on his own due to concerns on who we could obtain to replace him. Well, the university has now made it crystal clear that Auburn is an untrustworthy, hostile, and toxic environment for one to work in. I personally don't believe the Auburn job holds the allure that some of you do because of this, and believe our next coaching candidate will be worse than Gus. I mean we didn't pony up and fire him, and now we are going to chop his legs off so we can try and fool people into believing he did it to himself. Nobody in coaching circles is going to buy that next year.

Course this type of thinking gets you the other sheep piling as you put it.... Gus Lover, Sunshine Pumper, Satisfied with Mediocrity, Your The Reason Auburn is this way lol.

Don't assume that everyone that wasn't on board with Gus being fired this year is because they thought he was the greatest coach ever.

23 hours ago, doverstutts said:

I did not want him for exactly the reason that you see right now in real time....Malzahn just has no worthwhile pedigree to fall back on....He had never seen the problems that crop up in bigtime football, expecially the SEC, and he is totally unprepared to deal with them....His arrogance does not help him...If we were looking for deacon or sunday school teacher, Gus is our man ( i guess, unless he has a burner phone, too) due to his high character, but we are not.....I thought i was wrong after 2013 and 11 games into 2014, but the bammer game stuck in my craw because i saw his fatal flaw in that game...he cannot operate outside his "bubble"....i didn't want him to fail and gave him benefit of the doubt although i knew i shouldn't....Gus has failed and one more year will only prolong everyones misery.....The proper thing to do is to fire him now and try to salvage what can be salvaged....keeping him is now a monumental mistake...getting bryant would have provided a slight glimmer of hope, but thats now gone....i really am feeling kind of destitute right now

I've never seen anything but doom and gloom coming from you, so don't start in about how you gave him the benefit of the doubt. Although I should say that if you're feeling destitute right now, you really need to get a life outside of football...

15 minutes ago, Texan4Auburn said:

I'd highly call attacking Gus an outside of the box viewpoint. That has gone on for years.

You do realize the majority of the people that supported Gus for another year here had more to do with how amateur our university is at handling these matters than wanting to keep Gus. Those men have done more damage to the Auburn Athletic Program as a whole in the past 3 weeks than a 6-6 record under Gus next year would have.

32 million dollars is a huge amount of money to get rid of him for one year. Now if we were like Texas aTm and the boosters came out and stated it is our money and no academic funds will be used then cool. Fire him. All we got was rumors of the money being there and we pull 4.5 million from students tuition a year to support athletics as is.

Several of us believed it better for Gus to flame it out on his own due to concerns on who we could obtain to replace him. Well, the university has now made it crystal clear that Auburn is an untrustworthy, hostile, and toxic environment for one to work in. I personally don't believe the Auburn job holds the allure that some of you do because of this, and believe our next coaching candidate will be worse than Gus. I mean we didn't pony up and fire him, and now we are going to chop his legs off so we can try and fool people into believing he did it to himself. Nobody in coaching circles is going to buy that next year.

Course this type of thinking gets you the other sheep piling as you put it.... Gus Lover, Sunshine Pumper, Satisfied with Mediocrity, Your The Reason Auburn is this way lol.

Don't assume that everyone that wasn't on board with Gus being fired this year is because they thought he was the greatest coach ever.

No, I'm not at all referring to people defending Gus over the way the University and boosters are handling things. I completely disagree the majority of Gus supporters are supporting him over the way the University is handling things. There are people on here who vehemently support him no matter how s***ty of a coach he is and chastise everyone else for being pissed and complaining on a message board over the state of the program. Aka continued mediocrity. No one on this board is responsible for anything with the program either way. The outside the box viewpoint referred to another post I was attacked on. Not on criticizing Gus. 

21 minutes ago, Texan4Auburn said:

This was a great read. You deserve a gold star and to have this post pinned. 

22 hours ago, ToomersStreet said:

I think Gus will miss out on Freeze because he missed out on Kelly Bryant. 

I don't think Freeze wants to be an OC at AU long enough to develop one of our raw QB prospects.  And I say that assuming that one of them can be developed.  They all have immense talent, but there's no telling if any of them will become game-changers at the D1 level. 

Freeze would have made Kelly Bryant a game-changer at AU next year.

1 minute ago, aujeff11 said:

This was a great read. You deserve a gold star and to have this post pinned. 

Exactly the sheep s*** I'm talking about. This guy is presenting the idea of the University meddling like they have been like I agreed with what they have done. I havent said anything of the sort. Hes also talking about people supporting Gus one more year whereas my original post was referring to people constantly making excuses for Gus. Two different things. Then someone like you (nothing against you personally, just meaning someone) comes on and responds with how great his post was when he wasnt even referring to what I was referring to. 

3 minutes ago, KolchakAU85 said:

I think Gus will miss out on Freeze because he missed out on Kelly Bryant. 

I don't think Freeze wants to be an OC at AU long enough to develop one of our raw QB prospects.  And I say that assuming that one of them can be developed.  They all have immense talent, but there's no telling if any of them will become game-changers at the D1 level. 

Freeze would have made Kelly Bryant a game-changer at AU next year.

Possibly but KB has been at Clemson for 3 years plus with good coaching and I expect what you see is what you get at this point.   It's not automatic that every kid can become an NFL quality quarterback...and even more unlikely in the few months of practice before the next season starts.  JMO but I was looking for versatile guy with DT skills who was capable of running our offense....not a guy who needed to be retrained.   

I'd just as soon see us put that invested time and effort into working with our current guys...and having them for two or three more years.....JMO

Archived