men vs. UNC Asheville game thread

WarTiger

15 hours ago, cole256 said:

I can only be honest. I don't have anything to sway me to coach speak. 

It's  the truth that those kids were in class all day. That's not coach speak. Some days it's just hard to switch gears....and that doesn't make college students mentally weak.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

It's  the truth that those kids were in class all day. That's not coach speak. Some days it's just hard to switch gears....and that doesn't make college students mentally weak.

Being that I've lived the life that's fine. You can make up all types of excuses for them but one of the last excuses anybody can make up for a basketball team is they haven't played a game in a freaking week.

First of all they still practiced. Second they played at home. The other team traveled and played on an unfamiliar court. These guys practice day in and out all the time on those courts. Shots are basically muscle memory by now.

If they came out and played to the level of their competition that is mental weakness. It's a very hard one that usually only the greatest players seem to be disciplined enough to do but that doesn't stop coaches telling them not to do it. Very bad things can happen from playing half spirited vs an inferior opponent. Usually injuries. 

Encouraging to know that we can have "that game" and go out and sleepwalk to a 25+ point win.  

In years past, that was a definite L instead of a W that was never in question even through 35 minutes of subpar play.

40 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Being that I've lived the life that's fine. You can make up all types of excuses for them but one of the last excuses anybody can make up for a basketball team is they haven't played a game in a freaking week.

First of all they still practiced. Second they played at home. The other team traveled and played on an unfamiliar court. These guys practice day in and out all the time on those courts. Shots are basically muscle memory by now.

If they came out and played to the level of their competition that is mental weakness. It's a very hard one that usually only the greatest players seem to be disciplined enough to do but that doesn't stop coaches telling them not to do it. Very bad things can happen from playing half spirited vs an inferior opponent. Usually injuries. 

So what? BB players are human.....which makes them imperfect. There are days when none of us are completely 100% on our game, and I'd bet that included you when you "lived the life".  That in no way makes anyone mentally weak. You have no idea what that phrase even means, obviously.

Practice is just that....practice. It is not an actual game no matter where a team plays and it's still no substitute for the real thing.

Everything on this board has become hyper-negative and hyper-critical until there's no fun left in anything. We have a great BB team and a coach we all love. I intend to enjoy it rather than look for petty reasons to be unhappy with every little thing. And I can promise you I'm not mentally weak.

8 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

So what? BB players are human.....which makes them imperfect. There are days when none of us are completely 100% on our game, and I'd bet that included you when you "lived the life".  That in no way makes anyone mentally weak. You have no idea what that phrase even means, obviously.

Practice is just that....practice. It is not an actual game no matter where a team plays and it's still no substitute for the real thing.

Everything on this board has become hyper-negative and hyper-critical until there's no fun left in anything. We have a great BB team and a coach we all love. I intend to enjoy it rather than look for petty reasons to be unhappy with every little thing. And I can promise you I'm not mentally weak.

Smh ok. The reason we're having this exchange is you saying they're rusty and I'm saying nah that's no excuse when you're about to start conference play. Just chalk up a bad start take ownership of it and get better. 

But that is literally the definition of a mental challenge athletes face and is one of the main examples a coach will say is mental weakness or lack of discipline so obviously you don't know what it means because your feelings are so hurt by the phrase. But all this is moot because it's something that you said, you couldn't find a player that would say that because they wouldn't want to appear like that. You are pushing this "discussion" like I said I don't do coach speak

Cole there's a huge difference in temporarily losing focus.....and being "mentally weak".  I know exactly what it means,and I don't need the mansplaining.. And you are also confusing "excuse" with explanation. 

5 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

Cole there's a huge difference in temporarily losing focus.....and being "mentally weak".  I know exactly what it means,and I don't need the mansplaining.. And you are also confusing "excuse" with explanation. 

Belle, come on with the “mansplaining” term.  If you wanna poke back at him for “high level sports-plaining” then fine.  But I didn’t perceive anything that was female condescending.  He’s grilled others - including those he likes - in equivalent ways.  I don’t want to jump in between y’all but that seems unfair.

40 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

No you saying they were rusty from not playing in a week then going to they had classes to sometimes you're not ready to go sounds like excuses. You don't have an explanation because there's no way you could know. What pearl talked about the most was playing to the level of your opponent.

And I see you keep harping about mentally weak and I notice you keep using quotation marks. I'm sorry if you don't like that term but that is what it is. Let's not lose the context though, you suggested they are just rusty from not playing a game in a week. I responded if that was true then we'd be a mentally weak team. I was just trying to show you that's not a respectable thing to say about a team. I know that's not the case so it's not like I'm saying they are weak, but if they ever did I'd say they were soft. I'd say that about a high school team.

So from that I realize you don't really know that would be almost offensive to player to suggest that, but yes I'm not backing down from that at all. You put two teams together and one team says that, the very first thing the other team would say is they are soft, weak. 

If you don't need the explaining then don't suggest that I don't know what it means. I don't even want to have this exchange. This is something you keep chasing

Maybe I am mentally weak but I saw this game as one where the defense was active and aggressive and the offense was moving the ball well and getting good shots, they just didn't fall at the pace we normally see. There weren't a lot of bad shots from my perspective. They got the ball into the post when the 3s weren't going in, but also hit some at the right times to keep this one from getting anywhere near close. If the team was sluggish or lazy, I'd be more concerned, but this, in my untrained eye, was a lot of just not getting the open shots to fall. Maybe I need to watch it again?

20 minutes ago, jared52 said:

but I saw this game as one where the defense was active and aggressive and the offense was moving the ball well and getting good shots, they just didn't fall at the pace we normally see. There weren't a lot of bad shots from my perspective.

my take also...i don't really remember a bad shot, maybe except for wiley taking an offbalance half hook one time.....

3 minutes ago, doverstutts said:

my take also...i don't really remember a bad shot, maybe except for wiley taking an offbalance half hook one time.....

Yeah, Wiley has to start leaning into the basket when taking that shot. He's leaning away and taking himself away from contact and from the rim. I was always lauded for doing the same thing when I played so I know what to look for there. :D Hopefully he can become more of a back-to-the-basket threat, but right now, his game is about running the floor.

22 hours ago, mustache eagle said:

Belle, come on with the “mansplaining” term.  If you wanna poke back at him for “high level sports-plaining” then fine.  But I didn’t perceive anything that was female condescending.  He’s grilled others - including those he likes - in equivalent ways.  I don’t want to jump in between y’all but that seems unfair.

He was mansplaining....the subject matter is immaterial.

And here you are mansplaining what is and isn't mansplaining. Ahh... the irony. 

I am well aware of how he posts and argues with everyone and I mostly ignore him. 

2 hours ago, Tigerbelle said:

He was mansplaining....the subject matter is immaterial.

And here you are mansplaining what is and isn't mansplaining. Ahh... the irony. 

I am well aware of how he posts and argues with everyone and I mostly ignore him. 

Very ironic as you argue quite a bit yourself, and you don't admit when you're just don't. And sure you ignore 🙄

18 hours ago, cole256 said:

Very ironic as you argue quite a bit yourself, and you don't admit when you're just don't. And sure you ignore 🙄

I just refuse to be bullied and talked down to.... But I wasn't the subject of that post...you were. So.......

I don't reply to many of your posts and this thread is a perfect example of why I don't. Notice the word "mostly"

Some people just like to be miserable all the time and want to take everybody else there while they're at it. I will put you on ignore and move on.

Now the BB forum is in danger of having the fun sucked out of it too.

16 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

I just refuse to be bullied and talked down to.... But I wasn't the subject of that post...you were. So.......

I don't reply to many of your posts and this thread is a perfect example of why I don't. Notice the word "mostly"

Some people just like to be miserable all the time and want to take everybody else there while they're at it. I will put you on ignore and move on.

Now the BB forum is in danger of having the fun sucked out of it too.

Well I'm like you then, really don't need all the drama from a hypothetical post simply because you don't like a particular word. Then when I reply to you you run and do all this. 

Now I guess you grandstand and hoping for a pile on Cole thing. So this can be over from now on if you say anything to me my reply will be ok.

But all of this extra is your doing not mine. And after all of this I still think if ANY athlete yet along a D1 said the reason they didn't play well is because they had a week of rest they are weak mentally. No more no less. I don't even see how you'd start a hypothetical what if argument with that. 

And lastly between the two of us I didn't throw any barbs......but I'll be the bad guy if that's what you want. Have a great day

1 hour ago, Gene Loblaw said:

This is why I avoid the game threads. The troll just can't help himself

You need to stop.

Can you believe he's so hurt because I said a legacy player would be a good fit? 😂 how insecure can you be?  I'm sorry man, Brown is the next Steph curry and this is the best team ever assembled. Can you stop now?

On 12/4/2018 at 7:41 PM, cole256 said:

This happens from playing weak teams. Everybody else is getting into form. Rusty isn't acceptable this time of year. Especially not in a couple of weeks

I know look at the reply, how could I be so evil??👹

18 hours ago, Gene Loblaw said:

I’m not the one that incites lots of different posters towards negativity. That would be the Cole Troll. 

How much rope do you need?

Oh btw I just want to point out that I said IF our players was to say they didn't play well in a game because they had a week off that would be a mentally weak team......no basketball player with any pride would say that so I didn't call them mentally weak. It was a conditional statement.

Also I thought it was interesting that last night the spurs came back and beat the Lakers and coach Walton and LeBron James both said the team has to be more mentally tough and win games like that....so even the greatest player in the world right now says the term....it's not taboo or a big deal, it's a challenge that people say you need to lock in and focus more. Playing hard, not turning the ball over, playing through fatigue, making the right play isn't physical at all it's mental and that's why you hear that term. 

I think that will be my last spill on that, if you played or was around basketball you've heard that said and nobody feelings get hurt behind it

Archived