Malik Willis

tigerbrotha12

6 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I actually don't think Willis can wiggle his way out of a "wrong" read nearly as well as NM. Whether the read was predetermined by Gus or by Nick himself, I don't think there are many on the planet as gifted as NM is at getting away from someone's grasp in a small amount of space.

Nick was a special talent, I haven't seen anything from Willis that screams "special" yet.

Is there a DTQB whisperer coach out there? I think Willis is close. He has the athletic skill set but we just need to see it all in one cohesive package.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

IMHO Willis & Marshall's ability to make top tier defenders miss on the run is similar but that's where the similarity ends. The 2013 magic about Nick (until DC's apparently scrutinized film after that season) was his play action. I mean he combined slight of hand, head fake, cool as a cucumber stop/gaze and he FROZE excellent defenders game after game.

Very well stated. 

2 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

Is there a DTQB whisperer coach out there? I think Willis is close. He has the athletic skill set but we just need to see it all in one cohesive package.

Heading into his junior year this about the time some of those skills should be coming together. I hope it is!!!

4 hours ago, The Freak said:

The better question is why would you double down on using terms that are obviously not acceptable to this site?

The better  question is why do words hurt you so much? 

5 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Sigh. Willis is nowhere near being in the same category as Marshall. Zero place. 

Marshall would come to the sideline and tell Gus that this play would work. Gus would tell him to run it the next series. People just don't understand how good Marshall really was. Was one of the best leader I've ever seen at AU. Everyone listened to him.  

This statement doesn't surprise me about Marshall as it was clear he was a very good leader. But those outside of AU always wanted to make fun of him as if he was not intelligent just because he wasn't a great public speaker. Nick is just what we'd call a BALLER! He just has the "it" factor. Kid could've easily been just as good playing baskeball. Not many...but some took him for granted. 

NM had some of the best instincts i've seen a QB have. It was the same way with Cam. Some QBs have all the ability and athleticism in the world but when things break down with the offense they don't know how to react to it. NM and Cam were able to capitalize on plays not going to plan to a high degree. Plus the chemistry between NM and Tre was a thing of beauty to watch each week. That's part of why the NC game hurt so bad for me. That offense was unstoppable and should've dropped 50 or 60 like Oklahoma. Ahh the good old days. SIGH.

At this point, we're all making guesses about the QBs we currently have because we don't have any real information on them to say one way or another. If Malik is half the player NM that would be nice. I just can't assume that just b/c Gus went begging for Kelly that the others can't play. At this point, who really trusts Gus's evaluation on any QB? Honestly, it still leads me to believe that Gus still has not chosen what type of QB he wants to lead our team.

KB is clearly more of a pocket passer and has the desire to improve his passing skills to have a chance in the NFL. I'm sure that was a huge reason for choosing Mizzou. If Gus has decided to go back to the read option....KB wouldn't have been a top target...it would've been gauging the interest of Tate. Seems to me...it's still the same of stockpiling talent but still unsure of what your team's identity will be. I just don't understand aggressively recruiting QBs like Sean and Joey but when it's time for them to play...there is so much lack of trust in them. YOU recruited them....YOU coached them but we're constantly running to transfers.

32 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

At this point, we're all making guesses about the QBs we currently have because we don't have any real information on them to say one way or another. If Malik is half the player NM that would be nice. I just can't assume that just b/c Gus went begging for Kelly that the others can't play. At this point, who really trusts Gus's evaluation on any QB? Honestly, it still leads me to believe that Gus still has not chosen what type of QB he wants to lead our team.

KB is clearly more of a pocket passer and has the desire to improve his passing skills to have a chance in the NFL. I'm sure that was a huge reason for choosing Mizzou. If Gus has decided to go back to the read option....KB wouldn't have been a top target...it would've been gauging the interest of Tate. Seems to me...it's still the same of stockpiling talent but still unsure of what your team's identity will be. I just don't understand aggressively recruiting QBs like Sean and Joey but when it's time for them to play...there is so much lack of trust in them. YOU recruited them....YOU coached them but we're constantly running to transfers.

I guess we get what we can get....Joey was a stretch as we discussed many times.....not even full time QB at his HS.     Whether it is Gus's  offense or what, AU has not really nailed a top QB in a long time.  Nix is the first in quite a while.    Even Nick M....whom I dearly love at QB was poopooed on this site because of his INTs and lack of QB experience.    And Sean was a 3 * and despite winning some QB camp award, was not heavily sought after.   Seems Gus has the tendency to roll the dice and hope the guys will work out.  :dunno:    Somebody needs to step up the QB recruiting for certain 

3 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I guess we get what we can get....Joey was a stretch as we discussed many times.....not even full time QB at his HS.     Whether it is Gus's  offense or what, AU has not really nailed a top QB in a long time.  Nix is the first in quite a while.    Even Nick M....whom I dearly love at QB was poopooed on this site because of his INTs and lack of QB experience.    And Sean was a 3 * and despite winning some QB camp award, was not heavily sought after.   Seems Gus has the tendency to roll the dice and hope the guys will work out.  :dunno:    Somebody needs to step up the QB recruiting for certain 

And Woody was a nobody?  The problem is Gus doesn't know what to look for.

Just now, AUDevil said:

And Woody was a nobody?  The problem is Gus doesn't know what to look for.

That could be...but Woody was a question too.    I have little faith in star ratings in general but especially for QBs.....way too many don't pan out and coaches have to be either lucky or very astute to pick the good ones.   I mean, when's the last time Florida had a good QB ?   and most SEC schools struggle to get a good starter and Harbaugh having to raid Ole Miss for a starting QB this year?      Meanwhile Georgia got the top QB in the state....a 5 * and there were rumors about him transferring....and the guy looked somewhat lost on the field the few times I saw him.     

I think Willis might be a player. He might be pressing to much in the limited playing time he gets. I noticed him running through his progressions pretty quickly and that gives me some hope. I don't think Nick and Cam were great passers at the beginning of their tenure as starters. I remember watching Cam in the A-day game, throwing wounded ducks, and thinking, no way this is going to work. History tells a different story.

Cord looked pretty good running the ball the few times he played.

Haven't seen Gatewood enough to form any opinion.

I do not think Gus knows how to develop QBs. Gus' offense is predictable, outdated, and one past due to flush down the toilet and move on to an offense that is potent and one that can win games on a regular basis. I think Gus has gotten so far from what he used to run with Cam and Nick that he has lost all feel for a true zone read HUNH fast as lightening offense.

Since Nick, Sean White has been the closest thing to what made Gus zone read work as well as it did.While JS gave us some good games, he digressed over the course of 2 seasons.  Maybe Nix can breathe some life back into the offense. Gus needs to hire Patrick Nix as his Co-OC with Kodi and let Patrick have full autonomy with the QBs with Gus' total hands off. This could work. It is better than what we now have.

I really think that Gus has serious obsessive compulsive disorder traits that gets the better of him as to why he keeps meddling with the offense. I am dead on serious and not making fun of the man. Give him some psychiatric help and proper medications and you could see a different man...then again who knows. I doubt 110% Gus would ever think he falls into this medical classification.

Since my post, Gus surprised me with the hiring of Kenny Dillingham from Memphis. I actually like this hire better than Freeze in that this young man carries no baggage and is one of the best up and coming young offensive minds in all of college football. If he works out as well as I think he can, this could give us a nice 2019 season.  He could be a young Lincoln Riley and could be the next Auburn coach if we part ways with Gus after 2019. Yes, he is young, but so was Riley taking over the OU job. Gus is at the most serious crossroad in his career and I think he knows this finally.

To make things work, Gus is going to have to listen and let Kenny be a main key in the offense. Gus is on thin ice and he needs to have his best skating boots on to weather the 2019 season or he will fall beneath the ice of unemployment from Auburn University.

Malik has to be project #1 for new OC.  Malik has the rushing ability to be dangerous.  His passing leaves a lot to be desired.  Whether it was the fake fg against Washington, fake fg against Bama, or the long duck he threw against liberty he needs some work.  I’m not sure if he panics or he can’t read a defense but he missed two wide open receivers that would have converted those fakes and he routinely has missed the read option.  I have to assume Malik will go into spring #1 and if Bo or Cord don’t break out it’ll be Malik’s come August.  

On 12/7/2018 at 8:45 PM, AUGunsmith said:
On 12/7/2018 at 4:59 PM, The Freak said:

tenor.gif?itemid=5031778

This is wonderful. 😁😂🤣

In more ways than one....

eJSwK.gif

15 hours ago, wde1968 said:

Where is the development with Joey Gatewood? Heard the same about him as hearing on Nix. I'm gonna move to Missouri and say SHOW ME.

If you heard the same thing about Gatewood anytime during his senior season that we've heard about Nix his senior season, then you got some really, really bad info. 

Maybe it is just me but I kind of hope Stidham doesn't play the bowl game so that we are forced to play a potential starter for next season. Given the lack of significant playing time for any backup and even less significant throws - it would do us wonders from an experience standpoint.

listening to the drive yesterday, according to them,and i am not sure who said it, someone, i think jason caldwell had talked with an unnamed offensive player who said that sandberg was the guy if they wanted to run the read option and RPO....said his decision making was almost flawless....but, we still have the same bonehead running the show so he will probably never see the field.....

22 minutes ago, doverstutts said:

listening to the drive yesterday, according to them,and i am not sure who said it, someone, i think jason caldwell had talked with an unnamed offensive player who said that sandberg was the guy if they wanted to run the read option and RPO....said his decision making was almost flawless....but, we still have the same bonehead running the show so he will probably never see the field.....

I heard this as well, however I can’t remember where or who from nor do I have a link. 

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

If you heard the same thing about Gatewood anytime during his senior season that we've heard about Nix his senior season, then you got some really, really bad info. 

Actually I heard higher praise on Joey FROM THIS SITE. Supposedly he was the next Cam not seen that from Nix as I have seen some of his games and don't see a dual-theat but more pocket passer in the SEC. 

47 minutes ago, wde1968 said:

Actually I heard higher praise on Joey FROM THIS SITE. Supposedly he was the next Cam not seen that from Nix as I have seen some of his games and don't see a dual-theat but more pocket passer in the SEC. 

Again, if you heard any of that during Joey's senior season, then the info was bad. 

Archived