Poll: Where do you stand with Gus?

Swamp Eagle

Gus Poll  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Where do you stand with Gus?

• I think Gus can turn it around with the correct player personnel, specifically a DTQB.
    • I think Gus can succeed if he is the OC and hires a QB coach.
    • I don't think Gus can succeed, period. Gus must go
    • Other

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/28/2018 at 06:00 PM

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Other: What other option is there than is stated above? All one has to do is look at the state  Auburn football is in right now. I haven't felt this way about an upcoming season(2019) since Doug Barfield was coach! 6 years Gus has had plenty of time.

To me there is no way back. Gus and the relationships a coach must have to be successful are all toxic.  The coaches, the board, the president, the school, everyone has taken a hit and the common denominator is Gus.  After Gus called their bluff he should have been removed and a new staff brought in. That is the only way AU football can successfully move forward. 

If Gus remains this year(which he most likely will) AU football will start the year 4th in the West at best.  UA, LSU, and TAMU will all have passed us and Moorehead and MSU will be close. If you look at the SEC as a whole, UA, UGA, LSU, TAMU, UF, and UTk, and MSU will all be in better positions than AU and will all be on an upward trajectory with competent coaches leading the way as we try and start over.

43 minutes ago, Swamp Eagle said:

I would like to see a cross-section of where the board stands with Gus as Auburn's HC. 

Give reason in reply if "Other."

No offense, but have you been on the board recently? It should be abundantly clear by now where nearly everybody stands on Gus at this point

7 minutes ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

No offense, but have you been on the board recently? It should be abundantly clear by now where nearly everybody stands on Gus at this point

None taken, but #1, I don't follow everyone and read every post, and #2 see #1...

Gus should be gone based on performance, but the contract extension and the rumored stupidity in the halls of power make that unpalatable.  Hire an OC and give Gus the boot the moment he falls below .500 next season.    

59 minutes ago, bigbird said:

To me there is no way back. Gus and the relationships a coach must have to be successful are all toxic.  The coaches, the board, the president, the school, everyone has taken a hit and the common denominator is Gus.  After Gus called their bluff he should have been removed and a new staff brought in. That is the only way AU football can successfully move forward. 

If Gus remains this year(which he most likely will) AU football will start the year 4th in the West at best.  UA, LSU, and TAMU will all have passed us and Moorehead and MSU will be close. If you look at the SEC as a whole, UA, UGA, LSU, TAMU, UF, and UTk, and MSU will all be in better positions than AU and will all be on an upward trajectory with competent coaches leading the way as we try and start over.

I don't know why I post anymore if bigbird is just going to keep making my points for me... take a GIF at least

gusbreakdance.gif

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

After Gus called their bluff he should have been removed and a new staff brought in. 

I actually believe Gus didn’t call their bluff.  I believe he just misheard.  Harbert said, “Gus you can stay, but we are going to neuter you” and Gus heard “Gus you can stay and we’re going to tutor you”. 

I could be mistaken in my assessment. 

1 hour ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

Assuming this board is representative of "nearly everybody".

28 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

I actually believe Gus didn’t call their bluff.  I believe he just misheard.  Harbert said, “Gus you can stay, but we are going to neuter you” and Gus heard “Gus you can stay and we’re going to tutor you”. 

I could be mistaken in my assessment. 

5 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I stand behind him.

And I'm about to push him out this damn door

Love you guys, mean it

Other - I think he's standing on the cliff's edge right now, but if can bring in someone to develop the QBs and that he can click with, he might be able to get it to work.  I'm not holding out much hope, but I do still have a glimmer.

Other- Gus has a long way to go to convince me he’s the guy.

For the undeniable criticism... I do think Gus is learning from his mistakes, but he’s doing so slower than needed. He makes adjustments only after it is blatantly obvious that they are needed. My other big concern is consistency. At times, we looked like a top ten team this season, but mental mistakes, particularly on offense, destroyed us this season. 

I do think it is important to note that Gus is one of the few active coaches to beat Saban multiple times, and that he has delivered some sound seasons. The frustration is clearly due to inconsistency. We win games we shouldn’t win, but we lose a lot of games we shouldn’t lose. Thus the emotional highs have been very high, and the lows very low.

I think here’s what I want to see. Gus needs to put staff in place that will focus more on consistency in play in order to reduce mental mistakes. I want to see us win the games we should to win and to be competitive in all games. The right OC and QB coach hire may help, but I’m not sure if it’s enough.

I'm gonna go against the grain on this one now. This reported deal doesn't just put Malzahn in a corner, but it also hurts assistant coaches that we like such as Porter and Garner. It hurts the program ultimately and worse it doesn't save anyone any money.

If, because of the impedance of the administration, Gus is unable to post a desirable record then we will have paid his 2019 salary, plus his buyout, plus the buyouts of the assistant coaches. That's in the ballpark of $32 Million.

So we effectively delay paying out $32 Million and all it will cost us is the next 3-10 of fielding a competitive football team...

So where do I stand with Gus? It's looking like Gus is the only person standing between playoff relevancy or becoming the new Vandy of the SEC. I hope to God that someone debunks this story...

If it is true, I'm hoping right back on that Gus Bus with two middle fingers pointed at the President's Mansion

I stand with Hugh Freeze! That is how I feel about all of this. Caption this photo? EASY! The look of 2 unhappy dudes lol.  Gus is saying you are the better coach Hugh. Hugh is all like yah well I am at a much much worse program. 

e b.jpg

18 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

Assuming this board is representative of "nearly everybody".

Good point.  It is not representative of everybody but it is representative of the most intelligent. 

🤔...

9 minutes ago, around4ever said:

Good point.  It is not representative of everybody but it is representative of the most intelligent. 

🤔...

Including you I assume?;)

20 hours ago, AURealist said:

Gus should be gone based on performance, but the contract extension and the rumored stupidity in the halls of power make that unpalatable.  Hire an OC and give Gus the boot the moment he falls below .500 next season.    

Malzahn should be gone, but I do not think that he will fall so low to a losing season. To be a success in the SEC we need a coach that can win at least 10 games a season. I have said it before and I will say it again, this is a 7-5 or 8-4 coach at best. He needs to be focusing on one aspect of coaching with someone else at the controls. He may be a great head coach in the future but it is not now. He is still relatively new to college football; starting in 2006 with Arkansas as an OC. You can still see hints of High school ball in the offense.  

Other

Gus has won a National Championship as a OC, was 1 min away from winning one as a HC, was in the running for the playoffs until the SEC  championship game last season and he is bringing in recruits like we have never had ( albeit developement is a question mark).

Most who don't like CGM have really never liked him. He has brought Auburn to heights that I've never seen in my lifetime. For those reasons stated above he deserves a chance to turn things around.

What respectable coach would want to come to Auburn if CGM was fired with a resume like he has? I'll answer,  absolutely no one credible. War Eagle

8 minutes ago, tbone4jc said:

Other

Gus has won a National Championship as a OC, was 1 min away from winning one as a HC, was in the running for the playoffs until the SEC  championship game last season and he is bringing in recruits like we have never had ( albeit developement is a question mark).

Most who don't like CGM have really never liked him. He has brought Auburn to heights that I've never seen in my lifetime. For those reasons stated above he deserves a chance to turn things around.

What respectable coach would want to come to Auburn if CGM was fired with a resume like he has? I'll answer,  absolutely no one credible. War Eagle

Put together a graph of the seasons he’s had here and tell me what you see. That’s the problem. We need to be consistently good with great thrown in there every 3-4 years. 

Archived