Poll: Where do you stand with Gus?

Swamp Eagle

Gus Poll  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Where do you stand with Gus?

• I think Gus can turn it around with the correct player personnel, specifically a DTQB.
    • I think Gus can succeed if he is the OC and hires a QB coach.
    • I don't think Gus can succeed, period. Gus must go
    • Other

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/28/2018 at 06:00 PM

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, cctiger said:

Other: What other option is there than is stated above? All one has to do is look at the state  Auburn football is in right now. I haven't felt this way about an upcoming season(2019) since Doug Barfield was coach! 6 years Gus has had plenty of time.

There's a difference. In both Gus's time as OC and head coach, we've played for two national championships and won one of those. We've won two SEC championships and beaten teams ranked #1 at the time we played them. As head coach Gus has beaten bammer twice when they are at an absolute unprecedented peak. Barfield never indicted that he even had the potential to accomplish that level of of excellence.

Maybe Gus should go, maybe not but he can't be compared to Barfield.

My gripe isn't with Gus, it's with what's alleged to be "leadership" at Auburn. If you don't want the guy around, fire him. If you do want him around, support him. This ploy of "cut his pay and hope he quits" is gutless Bullsh**.

I know y’all don’t care what I think, but I’m all in with Gus and believe he’ll turn this around. His recruiting has been some of the best ever at Auburn. He wants to win more than anybody on this board, and he must love Auburn or he wouldn’t have stayed this year with all the bs he’s had to endure the last month. It seems he recruits well even though he’s on the hot seat, so recruits must see something in him and so do I. Come on Gus and prove them all wrong!!! War Eagle 

I am absolutely frustrated with Auburn University and the Coaching staff. First and foremost, the product we fielded was not acceptable. Our fans and players expect better. If this is what Gus can produce, he needs to go. 

The university is being absolutely idiotic the way they are handling the coaching situation. They need to s!@t or get off the pot.  If they believe Gus can get it done let him run the show and hire who he needs. 

If they are not going to let him run the show then make separate with him. 

This walking Dow the middle of the road is going to result in a total disaster for our team. I have only had season tickets for 6 years, but if they are going to manage the program in this manner, I expect a reduction in cost because the are selling us empty promises and no hope for success in the near future. 

The only time I’ve been completely done with a coach was Chizik in 2012.  The stories of the team being completely out of control and the complete lack of effort left me no doubt Chizik had to go.

I know that people are upset with 8-5 being status quo with Gus and the good years are more teases than reality but until Auburn hits 2012 status I’m with Gus all the way.

29 minutes ago, toddc said:

I know y’all don’t care what I think, but I’m all in with Gus and believe he’ll turn this around. His recruiting has been some of the best ever at Auburn. He wants to win more than anybody on this board, and he must love Auburn or he wouldn’t have stayed this year with all the bs he’s had to endure the last month. It seems he recruits well even though he’s on the hot seat, so recruits must see something in him and so do I. Come on Gus and prove them all wrong!!! War Eagle 

Yeah we do, Todd. For real. Keep posting and fighting the good fight. I applaud you, for what very little it's worth, for being able to offer these thoughts without calling we critics something worse than that. War Eagle. I hope Gus rewards your faith. 

11 hours ago, JBiGGiE said:

I'm gonna go against the grain on this one now. This reported deal doesn't just put Malzahn in a corner, but it also hurts assistant coaches that we like such as Porter and Garner. It hurts the program ultimately and worse it doesn't save anyone any money.

If, because of the impedance of the administration, Gus is unable to post a desirable record then we will have paid his 2019 salary, plus his buyout, plus the buyouts of the assistant coaches. That's in the ballpark of $32 Million.

So we effectively delay paying out $32 Million and all it will cost us is the next 3-10 of fielding a competitive football team...

So where do I stand with Gus? It's looking like Gus is the only person standing between playoff relevancy or becoming the new Vandy of the SEC. I hope to God that someone debunks this story...

If it is true, I'm hoping right back on that Gus Bus with two middle fingers pointed at the President's Mansion

Spot on bud. All this talk about if the money is there yada yada yada. Well....it will be there one way or another. The question is how much damage are we willing to do to our program along the way. The buyouts or the salaries for the seasons they stay will have to be paid regardless. As someone stated before...Gus is done. The relationship has been tarnished beyond repair for all the those involved....and that is everyone. Us fans included. 

He’s shown that he’s capable with the right personnel; he’s beaten Bama twice during their current dynasty, and that doesn’t happen by accident.

I know this season hasn’t lived up to anyone’s expectations, but due to the stupid extension and buyout he’s gonna be around a while so we need to support the program.

I do think the past two weeks have been a total cluster and the person who should be held accountable is Leath with his total lack of leadership.

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

There's a difference. In both Gus's time as OC and head coach, we've played for two national championships and won one of those. We've won two SEC championships and beaten teams ranked #1 at the time we played them. As head coach Gus has beaten bammer twice when they are at an absolute unprecedented peak. Barfield never indicted that he even had the potential to accomplish that level of of excellence.

The biggest difference between Barfield and Gus is/was support from within the institution. Gus had the support and has since lost it. He had a chance to be successful because of it. Barfield never had the institutional support (50%, at best), and he was never able to get off the ground.  I'm in the minority concerning Barfield; with the full backing of the program, he could have been very successful, but like now with Gus, he had people pulling against him from the start, and that makes all the difference in the world when comparing the two.

6 hours ago, autigeremt said:

Put together a graph of the seasons he’s had here and tell me what you see. That’s the problem. We need to be consistently good with great thrown in there every 3-4 years. 

How many teams are consistantly good out of 130 teams? Please enlighten me. Alabama has been, Clemson recently got there, Ohio State has had moments. Oklahoma? Plays in a league where defense is optional? Notre Dame?No. Texas? No. Michigan? No. USC? No. Who else? 

Has he had a loosing season? No. Have we been competitive in our loses? Other then a couple of games yes. 

If he doesn't turn things around in 2019 then he should be fired. But if he gets things going in the right direction, we will just heve to wait and see.... War Eagle

6 hours ago, Mikey said:

6 hours ago, Mikey said:

My gripe isn't with Gus, it's with what's alleged to be "leadership" at Auburn. If you don't want the guy around, fire him. If you do want him around, support him. This ploy of "cut his pay and hope he quits" is gutless Bullsh**.

I agree with all of this but I don’t give him as much credit about the two national title appearances. Clearly in 2010 he and Chiz needed a once in a generation type talent at QB to get that done and there were games where that offense still struggled. 2013 required two of the most remarkeable plays in football history and many including myself blame him for the NC game loss to Free Shoes U. But, I agree that its not really comparable to Barfield in that he does have the SEC Title and another division title and hasn’t beaten the idiots twice.  And the leadership comment is spot on. Gutless all the way. Either fire him or get behind him and help the program. What they have done is put him and Auburn in a no win situation next year and perhaps the foreseeable future. No excuse for that type of poor leadership at a major university. 

9 minutes ago, tbone4jc said:

How many teams are consistantly good out of 130 teams? Please enlighten me. Alabama has been, Clemson recently got there, Ohio State has had moments. Oklahoma? Plays in a league where defense is optional? Notre Dame?No. Texas? No. Michigan? No. USC? No. Who else? 

Has he had a loosing season? No. Have we been competitive in our loses? Other then a couple of games yes. 

If he doesn't turn things around in 2019 then he should be fired. But if he gets things going in the right direction, we will just heve to wait and see.... War Eagle

Such a stupid loser mentality argument. Well, everyone else is average so we may as well be too. Let’s don’t strive to be better than the mean.  Ask Clemson if they still have that attitude after they were mainly the ACC us until Dabo ignited the rockets on that program. Miami was zilch before Schnellenburger, FSU was nothing before Bowden, Ohio State was average for years before Tressel and Meyer returned them to the top. Right now Saban is doing things no one can do but we are falling behind LSU who has Farmer Fran at coach(this is where I remind you he is 2-0 against our genius).  You think Jimbo won’t have A&M competing for titles soon? Heck I’d wager Morris gets Arky going at some point.  Meanwhile our fans are happy because Gus has managed to beat Saban twice...one of which took the greatest play in college football history and Saban making a bone headed decision to kick that FG. Our appearance in the SEC Title game that year was because of UGA’s inability to knock down a pass and then Gus blew the NC game. Last year yeah great he beat two number ones...then he crapped the bed in ATL twice to still somehow some way finish with 4 losses mainly because he couldn’t figure his damn offense before the Clemson game and then completely fell all over himself in Baton Rouge blowing a 20 point lead. Win one of those and maybe the loss to UGA in ATL doens’t keep you out of playoff. You’re giving him credit for competitive losses???? Is that where we are at Auburn now? We’re just happy we didn’t get blown out??? This year’s bama and uga teams say hi btw...Come on man. Enough is enough. 

8 minutes ago, nixtosanders94 said:

Heck I’d wager Morris gets Arky going at some point.  

50:50

9 minutes ago, nixtosanders94 said:

Meanwhile our fans are happy because Gus has managed to beat Saban twice...

This is not right. Only a few are fine with what Gus has accomplished. From my anecdotal experiences, I have not seen one in real life that have said they’re fine with Gus either btw. Lot of the disagreement comes from the buyout..

14 minutes ago, nixtosanders94 said:

You’re giving him credit for competitive losses????

The CFP gives credit for competitive losses. We give credit for competitive losses ( Auburn v Duke), many people do.

I am incredibly, incredibly conflicted with how I stand with Gus. I think he is a capable coach, if he coaches his philosophy that he is comfortable with and if he happens to have the right personnel he needs. However, I believe he has had people buzzing in his ear from Day 1, which happens to be what has happened to every single coach at Auburn for as long as I remember and will continue to happen to whoever comes after. This is most likely why he veered away from what he knew best. Granted, defenses were picking up on it, but not when we actually went fast. We declared we were Auburn Fast and then decided not to go fast. Why? Talk back then is that someone was telling him that he couldn't go so fast because he had to protect our defense. People say he's stubborn, but in some ways, I feel he is too susceptible to outside influences. I do agree that we need consistency, but I cannot forget some of the incredible . games that we've had at Auburn in his tenure. If we look back at some of our former coaches, they have had some inconsistency too.

What I am NOT conflicted about is the incredibly crappy way that the university and the fans have treated this man. I have never been so ashamed to be an Auburn fan. He does not deserve to be called Doofus or any of the worse things he has been called. He doesn't deserve the bullying he's gotten from the administration. The toxic atmosphere that is surrounding him has been created by us. WE are harming the university. WE are damaging our future. WE are making recruits rethink their decisions. WE are dividing our fanbase, instead of coming together and supporting our team and all of our coaches. The decision was made to let him coach another year, so let him coach and give him what he needs. These stupid political games are ridiculous. As a wife of a former politician, I HATE politics!!!!

4 minutes ago, 3rdgeneration said:

I am incredibly, incredibly conflicted with how I stand with Gus. I think he is a capable coach, if he coaches his philosophy that he is comfortable with and if he happens to have the right personnel he needs. However, I believe he has had people buzzing in his ear from Day 1, which happens to be what has happened to every single coach at Auburn for as long as I remember and will continue to happen to whoever comes after. This is most likely why he veered away from what he knew best. Granted, defenses were picking up on it, but not when we actually went fast. We declared we were Auburn Fast and then decided not to go fast. Why? Talk back then is that someone was telling him that he couldn't go so fast because he had to protect our defense. People say he's stubborn, but in some ways, I feel he is too susceptible to outside influences. I do agree that we need consistency, but I cannot forget some of the incredible . games that we've had at Auburn in his tenure. If we look back at some of our former coaches, they have had some inconsistency too.

What I am NOT conflicted about is the incredibly crappy way that the university and the fans have treated this man. I have never been so ashamed to be an Auburn fan. He does not deserve to be called Doofus or any of the worse things he has been called. He doesn't deserve the bullying he's gotten from the administration. The toxic atmosphere that is surrounding him has been created by us. WE are harming the university. WE are damaging our future. WE are making recruits rethink their decisions. WE are dividing our fanbase, instead of coming together and supporting our team and all of our coaches. The decision was made to let him coach another year, so let him coach and give him what he needs. These stupid political games are ridiculous. As a wife of a former politician, I HATE politics!!!!

Ridiculous. No the fans are not harming the university. Auburn University is a great institution that is so much more than our football program. Gus Malzahn is a hired employee not a student, alum or Auburn person from birth like most of us. He would coach at a 100 different programs if offered the money we gave him and not blink. I believe he is a good man but he is not a great college football head coach. Six years is long enough to prove what you can do. He has wasted more talent in six years than any coach should be allowed to. If by WE you refer to the morons who are creating this mess then I agree. But nothing we fans say on a damn message board or at our jobs or at school is going to affect this football program. The boosters and powerful alums and incompetent fools who have had their hands in the football program ever since I have been an Auburn fan are the ones who make these decisions and quite frankly they don’t care what we think. Its all about the money and their own egos.  You think Jimmy Rane gives one iota what we say on a message board??? He is worried about the crowd he runs with and not us down here in the trenches everyday. What a short-sighted and ludircrous comment to blame “WE” for everything. Again, if by “WE” you mean the people who actually matter in all this then yes butr don’t drag the fans into this that simply want to enjoy good football and not the clown show Gus has put on the field for too long. The whole “coming together” mantra gets old. Auburn is a wonderful place but sometimes we are too eager to lie down and take a beating to save our precious family motto.  We are not bama’s little brother, haven’t been since Coach Dye knocked that damn door down and kept us from having to play in their home stadium every freaking year.  Auburn can be every bit the program that any other is and the success they have had in spurts proves that. But as long as the people who are meddling in this program continue to pull stupid crap like they are doing now and we keep hiring coaches who don’t know how to sustain sucess at a D1 football program, then we are going to keep getting what we have been getting since perhaps our best run of success in the modern era in the late 80’s.  If freaking Clemson University can put together a run like they are on then there is ZERO reason that Auburn can’t do the same. And don’t give me that Clemson doesn’t have to play in the same conference with the behometh bama.  That has nothing to do with it. If thats the case, if its just too hard to beat bama, then fine. Why the heck are 3-3 against Mississippi freaking State over the last six years? Why did we embarass our program by losing to Tennessee this year? Why have we lost to a couple of average to below average uga and lsu teams during Gus’s tenure?  Fine, you think we can’t compete consistently with bama right now? Ok, then we should be 11-1 or 10-2 or even 9-3 and beat the teams we are supposed to beat. Auburn right now is no better than MSU or Texas A&M and let that crap sink in for a minute. KENTUCKY has more hope in football right now than Auburn. Let that crap sink in.  Gus has yet to beat ANY of our three big rivals on the road in SIX YEARS. Let that crap sink in. There is good reason to be down on Gus Malzahn, and no I’m not going to feel bad for him because he is a damn millionaire getting rich off our university while performing below average at his job. While I get up and go to work and bust my butt to pay my bills and try to be above average at my job for A LOT less than 49 million.  So stop with the sychophantic crap about “oh oh dear we have to come together and we are ruining our program” . No sir, no ma’am it is not us you should be upset with, it is Leath, it is Rane, it is Lowder, it is the incompetence behind the scenes. And to my great disappointment we have heard nothing from our new AD who is apparently just as much under their thumb as JJ was. Auburn needs a new outlook or we will never break this cycle. And this isn’t just on Gus but for the love of Shug there is NO REASON IN THE WORLD WHY AUBURN SHOULD HAVE GONE 30 YEARS WITHOUT BACK TO BACK 10 win SEASON!!! No reason. Yes, this board is obviously skewing negative but what do you expect with the dumpster fire at our great school right now? We can get together on here and swap glory days stories about Coach Shug or Dye or the Kick Six or Punt Bama Punt but at the end of the day this is also a place to vent our frustrations over seeing something so dear to all of us fall apart and become a laughing stock in the media and to other fans. Gus is not a good coach, and our administration is embarrassing themselves by trying to push him out like they are...those are both true and are not mutually exclusive. 

3 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

50:50

This is not right. Only a few are fine with what Gus has accomplished. From my anecdotal experiences, I have not seen one in real life that have said they’re fine with Gus either btw. Lot of the disagreement comes from the buyout..

The CFP gives credit for competitive losses. We give credit for competitive losses ( Auburn v Duke), many people do.

I like Morris’s chances better than that but we’ll agree to disagree. 

I of course was not reffering to the fanbase as a whole on being fine with Gus’s accomplishments but the two wins over Saban argument has been a common one among Gus supporters so I used it to prove a point. 

Yes I understand the competitive losses thing in relation to deciding between two or three teams who are 11-1 or 12-0 but when we’re talking about a coach who consistently finds a way to lose 4 or 5 games a year then I don’t think it means much. Not to mention “competitive” can be very subjective. By the score you could say last year’s Clemson game was “competitive” but most everyone knew damn well we were not going to threaten them anymore on offense once the clown show began. 

And apples to oranges on the basketball analogy. Auburn bball has been a bottom feeder for most of its existence. For it to be going toe to toe with a blueblood like Duke is a moral victory for a team on the rise. But Auburn football is a top 15 program of all time with 2 claimed national titles and several more we could claim and has gone up against and beaten the best in college football throughout its history. We shouldn’t be happy with any moral victories or competitive losses in football. 

49 minutes ago, nixtosanders94 said:

And apples to oranges on the basketball analogy. Auburn bball has been a bottom feeder for most of its existence. For it to be going toe to toe with a blueblood like Duke is a moral victory for a team on the rise. But Auburn football is a top 15 program of all time with 2 claimed national titles and several more we could claim and has gone up against and beaten the best in college football throughout its history. We shouldn’t be happy with any moral victories or competitive losses in football. 

I really don’t know which competitive losses we are using as excuses other than maybe tbe Clemson loss last year. Sure it (Clemson loss) didn’t look competitive on our end, but the competitive scores are all the CFP committee saw. Like I said though, we haven’t really had any competitive losses. FWIW, I would’ve been happy if we even hung close to Bama this year. They are tbe basketball equivalent of a blue blood far superior than Duke, and we were a team with many holes. 

49 minutes ago, nixtosanders94 said:

I of course was not reffering to the fanbase as a whole on being fine with Gus’s accomplishments but the two wins over Saban argument has been a common one among Gus supporters so I used it to prove a point. 

To be fair to those that just want to beat Saban and Georgia, if we beat those teams, we are more likely than not advancing to other team goals. It doesn’t have to be mutually exclusive. You’d have a point if we are talking Tuberville beating Shula. Those wins were sweet too. 

15 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

I really don’t which competitive losses we are using as excuses other than maybe tbe Clemson loss last year. Sure it didn’t look competitive on our end, but the competitive scores is all the CFP committee saw. Like I said though, we haven’t really had any competitive losses. FWIW, I would’ve been happy if we even hung close to Bama this year. They are tbe basketball equivalent of a blue blood far superior than Duke, and we were a team with many holes. 

To be fair to those that just want to beat Saban and Georgia, if we beat those teams, we are more likely than not advancing to other team goals. It doesn’t have to be mutually exclusive. You’d have a point if we are talking Tuberville beating Shula. Those wins were sweet too. 

I don’t really understand any of your points here but I will just go ahead and agree so we can move on. It works in my marriage so maybe it will work on here? 

2 minutes ago, nixtosanders94 said:

I don’t really understand any of your points here but I will just go ahead and agree so we can move on. It works in my marriage so maybe it will work on here? 

I added a word here or there that I missed on my phone, but if you couldn’t read through my points which were only marginally unclear, agreeing to disagree is a marvelous idea. 👍

1 minute ago, aujeff11 said:

I added a word here or there that I missed on my phone, but if you couldn’t read through my points which were only marginally unclear, agreeing to disagree is a marvelous idea. 👍

Yes Dear. 

53 minutes ago, nixtosanders94 said:

Ridiculous. No the fans are not harming the university. Auburn University is a great institution that is so much more than our football program. Gus Malzahn is a hired employee not a student, alum or Auburn person from birth like most of us. He would coach at a 100 different programs if offered the money we gave him and not blink. I believe he is a good man but he is not a great college football head coach. Six years is long enough to prove what you can do. He has wasted more talent in six years than any coach should be allowed to. If by WE you refer to the morons who are creating this mess then I agree. But nothing we fans say on a damn message board or at our jobs or at school is going to affect this football program. The boosters and powerful alums and incompetent fools who have had their hands in the football program ever since I have been an Auburn fan are the ones who make these decisions and quite frankly they don’t care what we think. Its all about the money and their own egos.  You think Jimmy Rane gives one iota what we say on a message board??? He is worried about the crowd he runs with and not us down here in the trenches everyday. What a short-sighted and ludircrous comment to blame “WE” for everything. Again, if by “WE” you mean the people who actually matter in all this then yes butr don’t drag the fans into this that simply want to enjoy good football and not the clown show Gus has put on the field for too long. The whole “coming together” mantra gets old. Auburn is a wonderful place but sometimes we are too eager to lie down and take a beating to save our precious family motto.  We are not bama’s little brother, haven’t been since Coach Dye knocked that damn door down and kept us from having to play in their home stadium every freaking year.  Auburn can be every bit the program that any other is and the success they have had in spurts proves that. But as long as the people who are meddling in this program continue to pull stupid crap like they are doing now and we keep hiring coaches who don’t know how to sustain sucess at a D1 football program, then we are going to keep getting what we have been getting since perhaps our best run of success in the modern era in the late 80’s.  If freaking Clemson University can put together a run like they are on then there is ZERO reason that Auburn can’t do the same. And don’t give me that Clemson doesn’t have to play in the same conference with the behometh bama.  That has nothing to do with it. If thats the case, if its just too hard to beat bama, then fine. Why the heck are 3-3 against Mississippi freaking State over the last six years? Why did we embarass our program by losing to Tennessee this year? Why have we lost to a couple of average to below average uga and lsu teams during Gus’s tenure?  Fine, you think we can’t compete consistently with bama right now? Ok, then we should be 11-1 or 10-2 or even 9-3 and beat the teams we are supposed to beat. Auburn right now is no better than MSU or Texas A&M and let that crap sink in for a minute. KENTUCKY has more hope in football right now than Auburn. Let that crap sink in.  Gus has yet to beat ANY of our three big rivals on the road in SIX YEARS. Let that crap sink in. There is good reason to be down on Gus Malzahn, and no I’m not going to feel bad for him because he is a damn millionaire getting rich off our university while performing below average at his job. While I get up and go to work and bust my butt to pay my bills and try to be above average at my job for A LOT less than 49 million.  So stop with the sychophantic crap about “oh oh dear we have to come together and we are ruining our program” . No sir, no ma’am it is not us you should be upset with, it is Leath, it is Rane, it is Lowder, it is the incompetence behind the scenes. And to my great disappointment we have heard nothing from our new AD who is apparently just as much under their thumb as JJ was. Auburn needs a new outlook or we will never break this cycle. And this isn’t just on Gus but for the love of Shug there is NO REASON IN THE WORLD WHY AUBURN SHOULD HAVE GONE 30 YEARS WITHOUT BACK TO BACK 10 win SEASON!!! No reason. Yes, this board is obviously skewing negative but what do you expect with the dumpster fire at our great school right now? We can get together on here and swap glory days stories about Coach Shug or Dye or the Kick Six or Punt Bama Punt but at the end of the day this is also a place to vent our frustrations over seeing something so dear to all of us fall apart and become a laughing stock in the media and to other fans. Gus is not a good coach, and our administration is embarrassing themselves by trying to push him out like they are...those are both true and are not mutually exclusive. 

With the WE, I am being magnanimous. You just made my point for me. You just chewed my butt out because I am worried about what is happening to the program just as much as you, but instead of realizing that you have no control, the decision is made, might as well support the players and the coaches we have for the next year, you want to b***ch and moan and shake your fists at the sky and condesend to a 59 yr. old woman who has probably been around Auburn a LOT longer than you and endured way more down times than you ever have. You had zero reason to attack me and I have just as much right to speak my mind as you do, "sir". This is what is wrong with our fans right now, and frankly, our world right now. Just attack the person who thinks a little differently than you.

1 minute ago, 3rdgeneration said:

With the WE, I am being magnanimous. You just made my point for me. You just chewed my butt out because I am worried about what is happening to the program just as much as you, but instead of realizing that you have no control, the decision is made, might as well support the players and the coaches we have for the next year, you want to b***ch and moan and shake your fists at the sky and condesend to a 59 yr. old woman who has probably been around Auburn a LOT longer than you and endured way more down times than you ever have. You had zero reason to attack me and I have just as much right to speak my mind as you do, "sir". This is what is wrong with our fans right now, and frankly, our world right now. Just attack the person who thinks a little differently than you.

Sorry mom. Love ya. 

Archived