Poll: Where do you stand with Gus?

Swamp Eagle

Gus Poll  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Where do you stand with Gus?

• I think Gus can turn it around with the correct player personnel, specifically a DTQB.
    • I think Gus can succeed if he is the OC and hires a QB coach.
    • I don't think Gus can succeed, period. Gus must go
    • Other

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/28/2018 at 06:00 PM

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, nixtosanders94 said:

Very true my friend. I will say though that Shug brought our program back and should get credit where its due in terms of building the foundation of modern Auburn football. He also should get credit for bringing Sullivan to AU.  Shug was a good man. Something that I’m not sure all people would say about Bear. Shug landed at Normandy, makes him aces in my book right there. But it is true he struggled against bama and bear. But here’s the thing. He set a mentality I think at Auburn of being the gritty underdog and I like that. I don’t mind Auburn being the underdog and being that team that fights and scraps past the morons in tuscaloser. What I don’t like is when we just lay down and accept less than what Auburn could be. The attitude of well this is what Auburn has always been so this is what we will be always is just mind boggling. Other programs have broken that glass ceiling. Clemson being the most recent and relevant example. Why not Auburn? Shug is the man, always will be. He set a standard not about just winning but how to be a gentleman in doing so.  I have no qualms with that. But Auburn can be better and should be better than average and with the right guy and the right PTB they could be exceptional. 

Well said....... I knew Shug he was a frat brother of mine.... would see him all the time at Sewell Hall also met bear a few times during recruiting and he was drunk 2 out of the three times

19 hours ago, nixtosanders94 said:

Ridiculous. No the fans are not harming the university. Auburn University is a great institution that is so much more than our football program. Gus Malzahn is a hired employee not a student, alum or Auburn person from birth like most of us. He would coach at a 100 different programs if offered the money we gave him and not blink. I believe he is a good man but he is not a great college football head coach. Six years is long enough to prove what you can do. He has wasted more talent in six years than any coach should be allowed to. If by WE you refer to the morons who are creating this mess then I agree. But nothing we fans say on a damn message board or at our jobs or at school is going to affect this football program. The boosters and powerful alums and incompetent fools who have had their hands in the football program ever since I have been an Auburn fan are the ones who make these decisions and quite frankly they don’t care what we think. Its all about the money and their own egos.  You think Jimmy Rane gives one iota what we say on a message board??? He is worried about the crowd he runs with and not us down here in the trenches everyday. What a short-sighted and ludircrous comment to blame “WE” for everything. Again, if by “WE” you mean the people who actually matter in all this then yes butr don’t drag the fans into this that simply want to enjoy good football and not the clown show Gus has put on the field for too long. The whole “coming together” mantra gets old. Auburn is a wonderful place but sometimes we are too eager to lie down and take a beating to save our precious family motto.  We are not bama’s little brother, haven’t been since Coach Dye knocked that damn door down and kept us from having to play in their home stadium every freaking year.  Auburn can be every bit the program that any other is and the success they have had in spurts proves that. But as long as the people who are meddling in this program continue to pull stupid crap like they are doing now and we keep hiring coaches who don’t know how to sustain sucess at a D1 football program, then we are going to keep getting what we have been getting since perhaps our best run of success in the modern era in the late 80’s.  If freaking Clemson University can put together a run like they are on then there is ZERO reason that Auburn can’t do the same. And don’t give me that Clemson doesn’t have to play in the same conference with the behometh bama.  That has nothing to do with it. If thats the case, if its just too hard to beat bama, then fine. Why the heck are 3-3 against Mississippi freaking State over the last six years? Why did we embarass our program by losing to Tennessee this year? Why have we lost to a couple of average to below average uga and lsu teams during Gus’s tenure?  Fine, you think we can’t compete consistently with bama right now? Ok, then we should be 11-1 or 10-2 or even 9-3 and beat the teams we are supposed to beat. Auburn right now is no better than MSU or Texas A&M and let that crap sink in for a minute. KENTUCKY has more hope in football right now than Auburn. Let that crap sink in.  Gus has yet to beat ANY of our three big rivals on the road in SIX YEARS. Let that crap sink in. There is good reason to be down on Gus Malzahn, and no I’m not going to feel bad for him because he is a damn millionaire getting rich off our university while performing below average at his job. While I get up and go to work and bust my butt to pay my bills and try to be above average at my job for A LOT less than 49 million.  So stop with the sychophantic crap about “oh oh dear we have to come together and we are ruining our program” . No sir, no ma’am it is not us you should be upset with, it is Leath, it is Rane, it is Lowder, it is the incompetence behind the scenes. And to my great disappointment we have heard nothing from our new AD who is apparently just as much under their thumb as JJ was. Auburn needs a new outlook or we will never break this cycle. And this isn’t just on Gus but for the love of Shug there is NO REASON IN THE WORLD WHY AUBURN SHOULD HAVE GONE 30 YEARS WITHOUT BACK TO BACK 10 win SEASON!!! No reason. Yes, this board is obviously skewing negative but what do you expect with the dumpster fire at our great school right now? We can get together on here and swap glory days stories about Coach Shug or Dye or the Kick Six or Punt Bama Punt but at the end of the day this is also a place to vent our frustrations over seeing something so dear to all of us fall apart and become a laughing stock in the media and to other fans. Gus is not a good coach, and our administration is embarrassing themselves by trying to push him out like they are...those are both true and are not mutually exclusive. 

Omg lol...

http://wp.auburn.edu/writing/wp-content/uploads/WITFFull-Report.pdf

http://wp.auburn.edu/writing/writing-center/

Just some fun in negative times sir. Lol, please don't take personally.

4 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Well said....... I knew Shug he was a frat brother of mine.... would see him all the time at Sewell Hall also met bear a few times during recruiting and he was drunk 2 out of the three times

But were you 3 of 3 in those meetings lol? If so I'm claiming a NC.

Just now, Texan4Auburn said:

But were you 3 of 3 in those meetings lol? If so I'm claiming a NC.

Maybe cough.........seriously we did have a few beers after we left his office/house just part of cruitin back then

10 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

That’s awesome....sooo, you’re pretty old?? Lol...you know every single time I hear a story about bear from someone who met him or knew him the word “drunk” is involved...

6 hours ago, Texan4Auburn said:

Omg lol...

http://wp.auburn.edu/writing/wp-content/uploads/WITFFull-Report.pdf

http://wp.auburn.edu/writing/writing-center/

Just some fun in negative times sir. Lol, please don't take personally.

Wouldn’t take it personally man. I was venting real bad lol. I already apologized to 3rdgeneration and I feel bad. Just a lot of frustration with our program right now. 

12 hours ago, nixtosanders94 said:

Wouldn’t take it personally man. I was venting real bad lol. I already apologized to 3rdgeneration and I feel bad. Just a lot of frustration with our program right now. 

You’re out of time out now.  😘

Just remember, son, we all love Auburn. We all have our opinions. I am a female, obviously, and a kindergarten teacher, so I just want us to be a little kinder.  That’s my nature. Also, Auburn fans should be classier than the unwashed, toothless fans from that other team. 🤮 

31 minutes ago, 3rdgeneration said:

You’re out of time out now.  😘

Just remember, son, we all love Auburn. We all have our opinions. I am a female, obviously, and a kindergarten teacher, so I just want us to be a little kinder.  That’s my nature. Also, Auburn fans should be classier than the unwashed, toothless fans from that other team. 🤮 

Agreed. And I have the utmost respect for teachers. Two of my sisters are teachers in fact. Hard job. I still credit my kindergarten teacher with the good start I had in school. Well, her and Sesame Street. Thank you for the forgiveness. You’re all class. War Eagle ma’am.

14 hours ago, nixtosanders94 said:

That’s awesome....sooo, you’re pretty old?? Lol...you know every single time I hear a story about bear from someone who met him or knew him the word “drunk” is involved...

Watch the '82 IB (Bo Over the Top) and the post halftime interview where he berates the poor girl for daring to ask him a question.  He was bourbon-slurring with the best of them.  

On 12/6/2018 at 9:29 AM, tbone4jc said:

Other

Gus has won a National Championship as a OC, was 1 min away from winning one as a HC, was in the running for the playoffs until the SEC  championship game last season and he is bringing in recruits like we have never had ( albeit developement is a question mark).

Most who don't like CGM have really never liked him. He has brought Auburn to heights that I've never seen in my lifetime. For those reasons stated above he deserves a chance to turn things around.

What respectable coach would want to come to Auburn if CGM was fired with a resume like he has? I'll answer,  absolutely no one credible. War Eagle

Check that stats, he is 1-4 in bowl games.he lost the lead in the one chance he had at a national champ against Florida state. Did you watch that game and his overall winning record at auburn is barely over 50%. 

On 12/7/2018 at 10:59 AM, augolf1716 said:

cigarettes smoking GIF

what a smoking fool!!!! lol!

On 12/5/2018 at 12:38 PM, I_M4_AU said:

I actually believe Gus didn’t call their bluff.  I believe he just misheard.  Harbert said, “Gus you can stay, but we are going to neuter you” and Gus heard “Gus you can stay and we’re going to tutor you”. 

I could be mistaken in my assessment. 

I think he heard that they were going to nurture you!

On 12/7/2018 at 11:39 AM, augolf1716 said:

You know, Bear almost shot Pat Dye when they were on a hunting party, hunting rabbits. Dye had just been hired as Auburn's coach. Bear had consumed a few drinks and had fallen asleep on the side of a tree, and heard something that he thought was a rabbit but was Dye. Not sure if he fired a shot in the direction of Dye, but sources said he did fire a shot in the area.

Bear consumed a lot of booze in the end of this career from what I have heard. I wonder what Old Nicky and Gus would do on a hunting trip together.........open for speculation lol!  I would love to have a young Coach Dye or maybe a young Tuberville.

11 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

You know, Bear almost shot Pat Dye when they were on a hunting party, hunting rabbits. Dye had just been hired as Auburn's coach. Bear had consumed a few drinks and had fallen asleep on the side of a tree, and heard something that he thought was a rabbit but was Dye. Not sure if he fired a shot in the direction of Dye, but sources said he did fire a shot in the area.

Bear consumed a lot of booze in the end of this career from what I have heard. I wonder what Old Nicky and Gus would do on a hunting trip together.........open for speculation lol!  I would love to have a young Coach Dye or maybe a young Tuberville.

We know exactly what would happen, Doc.  Gus would shoot himself in the foot.

Other:  stripped butt ass naked, tarred, feathered, and ran out of Lee County and foot with hell-hounds on his tell.

It's better than forcing him to commit Seppuku, dousing him with gasoline, and lit ablaze which is where I was earlier in the season.

Then I realized it wasn't his fault Auburn hired a High School football coach, extended his contract, then extended again for nearly a decade

On 12/6/2018 at 8:29 AM, tbone4jc said:

Most who don't like CGM have really never liked him. He has brought Auburn to heights that I've never seen in my lifetime.

So,  you're saying you are 9 years old?

Archived