Reap what you sow

ToomersStreet

9 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Didn’t we just extend Steele? Seems like LSU did something like this for Aranda when either O or Les Miles was on the hot seat.

Mainly, what gets me is it’s worded as if tbe  logistics be damned, the intent is to undercut Gus. Gus is a s*** coach but not a s*** person. He doesn’t deserve that if he’s going to be here. I was vocal about not paying the buyout, but I don’t want an untenable situation like this where Gus has to work within an environment where he has to endure irreconcilable bullying tactics from the top. Just fire him then. 

Ehh, this sounds like they want Gus to suffer and feel the discomfort to a certain degree.  Gus could just shoulder the burden of Hugh Freeze's contract beyond 1 yr if Freeze would agree to it I guess.  IOW, if Gus gets canned next year then he has to pay Freeze out of his own pocketbook. Is this what Gus agreed to in his reworked contract?  The contract neutral or revenue neutral part?

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, keesler said:

Someone's acting like a leaky sieve again this week.  Who would leak this latest contract freeze to 1 yr deals?

Moon is a turd with sprinkles on top. I can't for the life of me understand why he's doing sports now.....he's a political writer. 

21 minutes ago, TigerPAC said:

again, why do we believe josh moon and "where" does he get his supposed info?

What has Moon reported that has been patently false?  He never once said Stoops was coming here.  Just said that some of our folks and some of his folks had conversations and Stoops' camp was receptive to the idea.  And the key points that he reported last week have also been corroborated by other AU beat writers.  

1 minute ago, autigeremt said:

Moon is a turd with sprinkles on top. I can't for the life of me understand why he's doing sports now.....he's a political writer. 

He started as a sports reporter before going to the political side of things.

Just now, Brad_ATX said:

He started as a sports reporter before going to the political side of things.

Gotcha. I try to stay away from al.com or anything related. I think I remember that now......I'm getting old so...there's that. lol

1 minute ago, keesler said:

Ehh, this sounds like they want Gus to suffer and feel the discomfort to a certain degree.

Why? At some point we have to accept that he’s here for another year, or he’s not. Support his team like any other coach until he’s ready to be fired. 

2 minutes ago, keesler said:

Is this what Gus agreed to in his reworked contract?  The contract neutral or revenue neutral part?

I’ve read no confirmation that that stuff is legit. Link?

Just now, autigeremt said:

Gotcha. I try to stay away from al.com or anything related. I think I remember that now......I'm getting old so...there's that. lol

He wasn't an Al.com guy.  Long time reporter for the Montgomery Advertiser before doing his own thing.  His time at the Advertiser is why he's so connected into politics now.  Proximity and all :)

Just now, Brad_ATX said:

He wasn't an Al.com guy.  Long time reporter for the Montgomery Advertiser before doing his own thing.  His time at the Advertiser is why he's so connected into politics now.  Proximity and all :)

Like I said...I'm getting old. :) 

2 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

Like I said...I'm getting old. :) 

Was he at the Advertiser just a couple of years ago? 

3 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Just give him a 2 year deal. Then when Gus is fired scrap that contract and Give him a new one when he becomes our next Head Coach. Hiring Freeze gives us a leg up on a proven Sec Head Coach over everyone else when we are in the market for a new coach in a year. Freeze with Our WRs and Bo will set many records.

I know we are in a bad place right now football wise but is it so bad we gotta hire a guy who's players admitted to being payed as soon as they left school? I don't even care about the hookers as much (thats between him and his family and his faith) but i'd be super worried from a compliance standpoint if Freeze became the coach

41 minutes ago, Swamp Eagle said:

If this Josh Moon report is accurate (why would it be?) you can bet your @$$ they realize it. From what I've seen written, Harbart was so cocksure that CGM was the man at the time of the extension that he "guaranteed" the buyout personally. As a smart man said, money talks and BS walks.  It appears there is a LOT of both going on at Auburn right now.

EFFING JABA!!

Point taken.  I guess my thought is that they think they're doing the program good, but can't see past their own egos to realize they are becoming more and more of a threat to our success than Gus.  As you said...IF the report is accurate!

2 minutes ago, gravejd said:

I know we are in a bad place right now football wise but is it so bad we gotta hire a guy who's players admitted to being payed as soon as they left school? I don't even care about the hookers as much (thats between him and his family and his faith) but i'd be super worried from a compliance standpoint if Freeze became the coach

He would not feel the need to cheat (as blatantly. just reside in the grey zone which most sec powers do) as much at Auburn. If Gus can have top 10 classes at Auburn Freeze would certainly take us to top 5 classes. 

I don’t see the point of hiring an AD or having a coach if you just going to handicap both entities. And no , I am not fond of Gus 

what makes me mad ( or is it care even less) is that i spent one entire afternoon writing to each and every BOT member....i wrote a very formal and direct form of an email and adjusted to each one....no name calling, no smartass stuff, just a thorough and precise discription of the average AU fan and the overwhelming expression of apathy that taken root....i have, as of right now, gotten exactly ONE reply....i have lupus that has attacked my joints, its kinda' like having rhumatoid arthritis without the swelling, and that was difficult to do....its why i type like i do....my wife helped some,even though she has severe inflammatory arthritis herself, and we got it done....then i wrote our cabbageheaded president, no reply from that piece of garbage....face it guys and gals, you care about AU, but GOBS don't give a damn about you unless you give them money, and then its just a smooze job....AU athletics is their private fiefdom....only one way to get their attention and ya'll know what it is.....i am not sure there is a long term solution, only short term fixes....i want to care, but its slipping (not for basketball) but Gus is not the problem now....its the kings and queens of the AU fiefdom

Dont have a problem with 1 year contracts.  If freeze is as good of a coach as so many think ( I personally think he is a loser) he wouldn't mind coming in one year 2019 to change things around.  If at the end of 2019, if freeze has turned it around then he can come back at the end of 2019 and ask for a multi year contract.   So any coach that wants the money upfront there is something wrong.  A coach that truly wants to turn things around will take a one year deal and renegotiate.

If what is reported is true, and it will get out one way or another, there are dark, dark days ahead. I haven't been on the fire Leath bandwagon and I'm not going to rush to judgement, but bury Auburn football and I'll be the first on Samford lawn with pitchfork in hand. 

1 hour ago, Texan4Auburn said:

If they were running the place like a real business then they would have just fired Gus, payed his contract, and moved forward. Instead they have spent the past weeks devaluing the product at all levels and continue to do so.

Nah, if they were running it like a business, they would have never extended the contract and ballooned the buyout before the season was over.  Gus and Jimmy wanted to play hardball.  Finally someone at Auburn is too. (If Josh Moon is still believed...lol.  And I remember him being a turd of a sports reporter regarding Auburn at the Advertiser when he was there.)

53 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

If what is reported is true, and it will get out one way or another, there are dark, dark days ahead. I haven't been on the fire Leath bandwagon and I'm not going to rush to judgement, but bury Auburn football and I'll be the first on Samford lawn with pitchfork in hand. 

You had better sharpen it up because Leath is the prime suspect. 

33 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Nah, if they were running it like a business, they would have never extended the contract and ballooned the buyout before the season was over.  Gus and Jimmy wanted to play hardball.  Finally someone at Auburn is too. (If Josh Moon is still believed...lol.  And I remember him being a turd of a sports reporter regarding Auburn at the Advertiser when he was there.)

How soon we forget about Gus playing hardball against the University and, for some, it’s just not right to turn the tables.  Leath and Harbert wanted Gus to stay, but not all the money men.  So there is a rift between the power brokers at the University.  What deal Harbert made with Gus during Leath’s time in DC has not become public, but as time goes by something seem to be clear.  Gus will not have the full support of the University that Sexton and he held hostage before the SECCG in 2017.

Gus has a lot of pressure on him at the moment.  Paranoid Gus must be going through a special week/month. I have not heard if Gus has reached out to prospective OC candidates, but with the proposed restrictions, it will limit his potential candidates.  Add to that, he’s got the early signing period and bowl practice.

The pressure could really increase after the early signing period and the bowl game has been won or lost.  Being fired is not off the table yet, I doubt it will happen, but I think the pressure on Gus will continue.

2 hours ago, autigeremt said:

Was he at the Advertiser just a couple of years ago? 

Yes. He had a column in the Advertiser until 2016. He started out with the Advertiser as a sport reporter but shifted to mainly politics around 2009(maybe?) and was doing political opinion columns/investigative reporting until his column with the Advertiser was taken away in 2016. 

His articles were still sometimes sports related whenever his investigative reporting led him in that direction. For example, Josh Moon actually reported on Auburn's football ticket problems under Jay Jacobs in 2015:

https://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/story/news/2015/10/03/auburns-football-ticket-woes-raise-major-questions/73315908/

3 hours ago, ToomersStreet said:

Out of  curiosity what reporters do you find credible?

Honestly?  The only sources I truly trust are on this forum.  There are three posters I implicitly trust.  And if they say they trust certain reporters, I will trust them, like in recruiting for instance.

My personal opinion is most reporters source their “insider information” from this forum.  AUFamily is responsible for a lot of reporters having jobs.  

Archived