Bama GT QB Jalen Hurts Picks OU

kwagoner

15 minutes ago, ellitor said:

FWIW neither team is considered to be in the group of teams pursuing Jalen the hardest.

I feel like maybe people are overestimating his value and assuming there are a lot of big time programs lining up to beg for his services. I might be underestimating him, though.

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I feel like maybe people are overestimating his value and assuming there are a lot of big time programs lining up to beg for his services. I might be underestimating him, though.

There are 4 tier 1 or 2 programs in the group of teams pursuing him the hardest. All 4 are coming off disappointing seasons.

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

agree....he only has one season and is a fill in a blank kind of guy....for a team with no QB prospects?     I think he's good but still not a top passer and his style is not for everyone.  Can't see an offensive coach changing his scheme just for one season of JH.  But he is used to being on a winner and can't see him going somewhere that does not offer at least conference championship potential.   Not an easy call for him. 

Maryland is probably the team to beat. Their HC is former Bama OC Mike Locksley. He is also hiring assistants that have previous & good relationships with Hurts.

5 minutes ago, AU64 said:

can't see him going somewhere that does not offer at least conference championship potential.

Prepare to be wrong. I don't think the 2 early leaders can win conference titles next year in Maryland & TCU.

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

Prepare to be wrong. I don't think the 2 early leaders can win conference titles next year in Maryland & TCU.

I doubt he cares about that too much imo. Now I think he just wants to start and prove he's improved as a passer. And if the team wins then that's a bonus 

Just now, Sizzle said:

I doubt he cares about that too much imo. Now I think he just wants to start and prove he's improved as a passer. And if the team wins then that's a bonus 

Same!

3 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

You might as well go to UAB if you're going to Miami

Birmingham has a South Beach? Who knew? :)

3 hours ago, ellitor said:

Maryland is probably the team to beat. Their HC is former Bama OC Mike Locksley. He is also hiring assistants that have previous & good relationships with Hurts.

heard rumor he will be there for the basketball game this weekend....did not know Hurts was such a big BB fan   :)

8 minutes ago, Harp_AU2013 said:

Tate Martell

Likely not someone AU will target since he is an undergrad & will have to sit out 2019. Besides I don’t see him interested since Bo could be the starting QB for a year before Tate may be eligible 

pump the brakes, unless hurt comes with some of the talent that surrounded him at Alabama i dont expect him to be as good as some make him out to be.  He benefited from having a more talented team around him. 

7 minutes ago, auskip07 said:

pump the brakes, unless hurt comes with some of the talent that surrounded him at Alabama i dont expect him to be as good as some make him out to be.  He benefited from having a more talented team around him. 

Yes but the talent is no more better now than it was the year he started but his numbers per play are quite a bit better including pass percentage which is up to 72%.

59 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Yes but the talent is no more better now than it was the year he started but his numbers per play are quite a bit better including pass percentage which is up to 72%.

Bet he is back in the low 60s next season.   Too small a sample to draw any conclusions about IMO.   I like the guy but he's a basic DT ...pretty good at both aspects of the game but that's it. 

12 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Bet he is back in the low 60s next season.

Agreed but it won't be a reflexion of his ability depending where he goes. If he goes to Miami or Maryland who don't have great OL He will be running for his life & numbers will suffer.

4 hours ago, ellitor said:

Agreed but it won't be a reflexion of his ability depending where he goes. If he goes to Miami or Maryland who don't have great OL He will be running for his life & numbers will suffer.

He prefers to run up the middle after his lone target gets covered up. The majority of his 72% came in mop-up duty against tired 1st stringers and 2nd stringers with four NFL WRs to throw to. Regardless of where he goes, agreed with AU64, he'll be back in 2017 form (60.4%), throwing in the low 60s this season and yes, running for his life again like he did in the 17 IB. His only shot of throwing >65% is OU because they have Brown and Lamb.

Can't believe I'm saying this, but Gus' offense would be his best fit.  He's not a passer.  Could see him following Enos to Miami or returning to Texas via TCU.  Don't see Holgerson or Oklahoma even considering him for their offenses.  Will be interesting.

5 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Don't see Holgerson or Oklahoma even considering him for their offenses

Noted the Okla backup QB is gonna put his name up for transfer....wonder why....virtually never played this year and guess he might have be the heir apparent  but maybe not....especially if the okies are romancing JH to any extent. 

39 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Can't believe I'm saying this, but Gus' offense would be his best fit.  He's not a passer.  Could see him following Enos to Miami or returning to Texas via TCU.  Don't see Holgerson or Oklahoma even considering him for their offenses.  Will be interesting.

He’s not a zone read QB. He avoids contact. Bails when his primary WR is covered up. Terrible lateral quickness. Could he be successful here and there running in Gus’ offense? Sure, but I don’t believe he would take us to ATL. Kelly Bryant would have been a better fit. Would much rather take our freshman lumps with Nix so he can pay off seasons ahead. 

Archived