Bama GT QB Jalen Hurts Picks OU

kwagoner

34 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Can't believe I'm saying this, but Gus' offense would be his best fit.  He's not a passer.  Could see him following Enos to Miami or returning to Texas via TCU.  Don't see Holgerson or Oklahoma even considering him for their offenses.  Will be interesting.

On this one, I would actually beg to differ. Though he doesn't have a LOT of passes or big enough sample size to be evident without taking time to scrutinize film individually. He benefited greatly from Enos, which is something he didn't have with Kiffin and Sark. They were content to simply call plays or hide his deficiencies as a passer rather than working with him on them. During his time coming in, one thing that I noted about Hurts was the proper spacing of his feet in his dropbacks. The consistency in his gather steps after play action and hip motion that didn't falter. That was something Hurts of old didn't have. 

Even in situations where he was under significant pressure and decided to pass, he would actually still attempt to gather, staying on his toes and following through rather than being flat-footed. His ball placement was also tremendously better as there were times where he would be making a throw that was to hit on the outside shoulder of the receiver in the past and it would be something requiring a back shoulder adjustment. This year, he was dropping certain passes into the right location and making it with pressure in his face. His throws on post routes would actually lead receivers towards the middle of the field and past the safeties rather than too sharp of a pass or trying to put it on a beam in a position where the trailing corner could jump the route.

Now, some of his negatives are the fact that he still doesn't always pick the correct target and often times doesn't move correctly within the pocket before taking off, but those are correctable. That's what coaching and reps take. What's not to say if he didn't sit and just do nothing but partial reps in certain games, then he would possibly correct those. 

He is certainly a passer, maybe not the most-refined, but he is definitely a better passer than say, Lamar Jackson, who was able to make the move to the NFL and actually had been throwing some TDs towards the latter end of his NFL season. I would say that as a passer, where he is now, he has more ceiling in his college career than what we got out of Stidham (although this is due to incompetent coaching). Either way, he still has the tools and every QB coach believe that they can take a good player and make them great, or a great player and make them legendary. I'd figure that he can garner some interest as a passer because he does have sufficient skills to thrive in a pass-heavy spread system.

He will be a hit wherever he goes. 

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply
58 minutes ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

On this one, I would actually beg to differ. Though he doesn't have a LOT of passes or big enough sample size to be evident without taking time to scrutinize film individually. He benefited greatly from Enos, which is something he didn't have with Kiffin and Sark. They were content to simply call plays or hide his deficiencies as a passer rather than working with him on them. During his time coming in, one thing that I noted about Hurts was the proper spacing of his feet in his dropbacks. The consistency in his gather steps after play action and hip motion that didn't falter. That was something Hurts of old didn't have. 

Even in situations where he was under significant pressure and decided to pass, he would actually still attempt to gather, staying on his toes and following through rather than being flat-footed. His ball placement was also tremendously better as there were times where he would be making a throw that was to hit on the outside shoulder of the receiver in the past and it would be something requiring a back shoulder adjustment. This year, he was dropping certain passes into the right location and making it with pressure in his face. His throws on post routes would actually lead receivers towards the middle of the field and past the safeties rather than too sharp of a pass or trying to put it on a beam in a position where the trailing corner could jump the route.

Now, some of his negatives are the fact that he still doesn't always pick the correct target and often times doesn't move correctly within the pocket before taking off, but those are correctable. That's what coaching and reps take. What's not to say if he didn't sit and just do nothing but partial reps in certain games, then he would possibly correct those. 

He is certainly a passer, maybe not the most-refined, but he is definitely a better passer than say, Lamar Jackson, who was able to make the move to the NFL and actually had been throwing some TDs towards the latter end of his NFL season. I would say that as a passer, where he is now, he has more ceiling in his college career than what we got out of Stidham (although this is due to incompetent coaching). Either way, he still has the tools and every QB coach believe that they can take a good player and make them great, or a great player and make them legendary. I'd figure that he can garner some interest as a passer because he does have sufficient skills to thrive in a pass-heavy spread system.

He will be a hit wherever he goes. 

Good stuff. I just don't get everyone dismissing his accomplishments, he won Bama numerous ballgames when it was clutch time. Dude's a gamer. I want Jalen in O&B bc IMO he's a great fit for Gus's offense. He's not a perfect passer or top draft pick type QB, but plug him in and let's go get 10 wins. 

1 hour ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

He benefited greatly from Enos, which is something he didn't have with Kiffin and Sark. They were content to simply call plays or hide his deficiencies as a passer rather than working with him on them. During his time coming in, one thing that I noted about Hurts was the proper spacing of his feet in his dropbacks. The consistency in his gather steps after play action and hip motion that didn't falter. That was something Hurts of old didn't have.

Good analysis and you are probably right.  I was just going on his past and what it felt like from what I'd seen of him.  I definitely haven't watched him in depth at Alabama.  Just think he's solid and would do well with Gus' scheme.

1 hour ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

he is definitely a better passer than say, Lamar Jackson

Highly disagreed. He ran up his completion percentage in mop-up. He'll be back down to ~ 61% this season unless he goes to OU. Hurts will not get drafted unless he goes to OU where the talent around him would give him the stats to squeak in the latter rounds. He'll never start on the same field that Lamar Jackson is playing on now. Sure, Jackson looked lost at times in the playoff game. He still went 14-of-29 and 2 TDs (which is 2 more than Rivers had). Put Hurts in Jackson's place and it would be an absolute massacre. He'd look to run up the middle 2 seconds after every snap and would get munched.

37 minutes ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

Put Hurts in Jackson's place and it would be an absolute massacre. He'd look to run up the middle 2 seconds after every snap and would get munched.

Are you saying if Hurts was playing against the Chargers that this would happen? 

45 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

Do people really not want him? Serious?

I have no desire for him.  I would have much rather had the QB from AZ.   I think if you keep Hurt in the pocket, then he is effectively neutralized.   Sure,  he is a good QB,  but I do not think he is or would be a game changer for AU. 

32 minutes ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

Highly disagreed. He ran up his completion percentage in mop-up. He'll be back down to ~ 61% this season unless he goes to OU. Hurts will not get drafted unless he goes to OU where the talent around him would give him the stats to squeak in the latter rounds. He'll never start on the same field that Lamar Jackson is playing on now. Sure, Jackson looked lost at times in the playoff game. He still went 14-of-29 and 2 TDs (which is 2 more than Rivers had). Put Hurts in Jackson's place and it would be an absolute massacre. He'd look to run up the middle 2 seconds after every snap and would get munched.

So we're talking college Hurts against NFL Jackson, with time to develop? Lamar Jackson got years with Petrino who is KNOWN to be able to craft schemes and develop QBs or at least put them in advantageous positions. Then he went to Baltimore and got to sit behind Flacco and learn some from RG3, PLUS got a scheme there that allowed him to use his strengths.

And lets not forget in COLLEGE, Lamar Jackson was playing in the ACC. Not exactly the same caliber as SEC defensively. 

And mechanically Lamar Jackson was TERRIBLE. Absolutely terrible... His hips were almost always stiff, he would throw flat-footed, sometimes he'd simply arm the ball. Now, that's not to say that he isn't a prolific talent because with mechanics like his, yet to be able to throw so far and with touch (at times), he HAD to have some excellent arm talent. 

Hurts, however, still is the better passer. He looks a LOT more polished and better. Another thing to do is to distinguish is WHAT the coaches schemed the QB to do. Pardon my speculation but it seems like a Kiffin Mantra to tell Hurts to read his first and maybe second read and bail because of his rushing ability. This just seems like it because of the fact that Kiffin worked with what he had rather than developing him extensively for any sort of purpose. 

1 minute ago, The Plainsman said:

I have no desire for him.  I would have much rather had the QB from AZ.   I think if you keep Hurt in the pocket, then he is effectively neutralized.   Sure,  he is a good QB,  but I do not think he is or would be a game changer for AU. 

Sorry, I’ll take the QB that’s had 3 National Championships appearances under his belt! But to each his own.

2 hours ago, The Plainsman said:

I would have much rather had the QB from AZ.

Not an option. He chose to stay at Zona.

10 hours ago, ClaytonAU said:

No QB on our roster has a start under their belt... not one.

Other than Mikey and 64, I don't really see anybody arguing against taking a transfer. Some folks just aren't as high on Hurts as others.

53 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Other than Mikey and 64, I don't really see anybody arguing against taking a transfer. Some folks just aren't as high on Hurts as others.

I don't want Buffalo's Jackson. Other than that I haven't argued against taking a transfer. Why would you claim that I have? The right guy could help us. Jackson brought nothing to the table that Gatewood doesn't already possess so I did argue against taking Jackson, the individual. I never argued against taking a transfer in general, assuming we could get a talented enough guy. If we can't get someone the quality of Hurts we're better off working with the four we already have on campus.

To the board in general, what's the deal with the guy that's leaving Notre Dame? No mutual interest with AU?

31 minutes ago, Mikey said:

To the board in general, what's the deal with the guy that's leaving Notre Dame? No mutual interest with AU?

I asked this awhile back and his poor passing numbers were pointed out. His skill set seems to jibe with Gus’ offense to me. So...🤷‍♂️you got me.....

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I was in favor of Bryant but didn't see him as a savior and did not break my heart when he chose the pigs.   And arguing about Hurts is waste of time.....like wanting the guy from zona.....never even a possibility...    So....yep, I'm good to go with who we have....nobody out there yet actually in the transfer market that would appeal to me though if Nick or Cam had another year....sign 'em up.    JMO

16 hours ago, ClaytonAU said:

Sorry, I’ll take the QB that’s had 3 National Championships appearances under his belt! But to each his own.

One he lost, one he was yanked from while losing, another he didn't play in but they still lost. 

We need to ride with Bo Nix.

2 hours ago, AUght2win said:

One he lost, one he was yanked from while losing, another he didn't play in but they still lost. 

We need to ride with Bo Nix.

I'd definitely take Hurts, but I also would concede a big part of the reason he was in 3 straight nattys was he played for loaded Bama teams. I still think he would be a great fit for Guss offense. Sign him up and let him, Bo, and Joey duke it out. 

4 hours ago, AU64 said:

I was in favor of Bryant but didn't see him as a savior and did not break my heart when he chose the pigs.   And arguing about Hurts is waste of time.....like wanting the guy from zona.....never even a possibility...    So....yep, I'm good to go with who we have....nobody out there yet actually in the transfer market that would appeal to me though if Nick or Cam had another year....sign 'em up.    JMO

64, like the post, just one correction. Bryant chose Mizzu not the Pigs as I remember.

2 hours ago, JFDTiger80 said:

64, like the post, just one correction. Bryant chose Mizzu not the Pigs as I remember.

you are right.....arky was so much in the news with him that the pigs had stuck in my mind.  Thanks... 

Archived