Bama GT QB Jalen Hurts Picks OU

kwagoner

4 hours ago, Gene Loblaw said:

He seems like the perfect Dan Mullen qb and I don’t think UF is totally convinced of their current starter. My guess is that he’ll wind up at Maryland though with Mike Locksley

Miami with Enos.

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/11/2019 at 8:08 PM, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

On this one, I would actually beg to differ. Though he doesn't have a LOT of passes or big enough sample size to be evident without taking time to scrutinize film individually. He benefited greatly from Enos, which is something he didn't have with Kiffin and Sark. They were content to simply call plays or hide his deficiencies as a passer rather than working with him on them. During his time coming in, one thing that I noted about Hurts was the proper spacing of his feet in his dropbacks. The consistency in his gather steps after play action and hip motion that didn't falter. That was something Hurts of old didn't have. 

Even in situations where he was under significant pressure and decided to pass, he would actually still attempt to gather, staying on his toes and following through rather than being flat-footed. His ball placement was also tremendously better as there were times where he would be making a throw that was to hit on the outside shoulder of the receiver in the past and it would be something requiring a back shoulder adjustment. This year, he was dropping certain passes into the right location and making it with pressure in his face. His throws on post routes would actually lead receivers towards the middle of the field and past the safeties rather than too sharp of a pass or trying to put it on a beam in a position where the trailing corner could jump the route.

Now, some of his negatives are the fact that he still doesn't always pick the correct target and often times doesn't move correctly within the pocket before taking off, but those are correctable. That's what coaching and reps take. What's not to say if he didn't sit and just do nothing but partial reps in certain games, then he would possibly correct those. 

He is certainly a passer, maybe not the most-refined, but he is definitely a better passer than say, Lamar Jackson, who was able to make the move to the NFL and actually had been throwing some TDs towards the latter end of his NFL season. I would say that as a passer, where he is now, he has more ceiling in his college career than what we got out of Stidham (although this is due to incompetent coaching). Either way, he still has the tools and every QB coach believe that they can take a good player and make them great, or a great player and make them legendary. I'd figure that he can garner some interest as a passer because he does have sufficient skills to thrive in a pass-heavy spread system.

He will be a hit wherever he goes. 

Enos is a great QB developer, I been underrating the allure of Miami just because the team sucked last year, but there’s alotta potential there for another explosive season 

On 1/11/2019 at 10:07 PM, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

So we're talking college Hurts against NFL Jackson, with time to develop? Lamar Jackson got years with Petrino who is KNOWN to be able to craft schemes and develop QBs or at least put them in advantageous positions. Then he went to Baltimore and got to sit behind Flacco and learn some from RG3, PLUS got a scheme there that allowed him to use his strengths.

And lets not forget in COLLEGE, Lamar Jackson was playing in the ACC. Not exactly the same caliber as SEC defensively. 

Talking Hurts v Jackson at any point in their careers. There isn’t a single pass I’ve seen come off Hurts’ hand that was better than any of Jackson’s top 50 passes in CFB alone.

Jackson was only a starter for two full seasons. 

Hurts was playing for some of the most loaded teams in the history of CFB. He had Ridley to throw to and still missed throws to him and their other future NFL WRs on numerous occasions. Within 10 yards, he’s fairly accurate. Most QBs are. Any pass outside of 10 yards is less than a coin flip.

Who of note did Jackson have in college to throw to?

You go back and watch the 2017 IB and tell me who the better passer in that game was.

But yet Hurts is a better passer than Jackson??

29 minutes ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

Talking Hurts v Jackson at any point in their careers. There isn’t a single pass I’ve seen come off Hurts’ hand that was better than any of Jackson’s top 50 passes in CFB alone.

Hurts was playing for some of the most loaded teams in the history of CFB. He had Ridley to throw to and still missed throws to him and their other future NFL WRs on numerous occasions. Within 10 yards, he’s fairly accurate. Most QBs are. Any pass outside of 10 yards is less than a coin flip.

You go back and watch the 2017 IB and tell me who the better passer in that game was.

You seem to be basing all of your knowledge against 2016/2017 Jalen.  2018 Jalen has been vastly superior to that.  Look at a few of the throws/decisions he made in the SEC Title game.  A few were NFL caliber tosses, especially that TD toss to tie the game.  Was in tight coverage, rolling to his right, and threw a strike to where only his guy could get it.

43 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:
1 hour ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

You seem to be basing all of your knowledge against 2016/2017 Jalen.  2018 Jalen has been vastly superior to that.  Look at a few of the throws/decisions he made in the SEC Title game.  A few were NFL caliber tosses, especially that TD toss to tie the game.  Was in tight coverage, rolling to his right, and threw a strike to where only his guy could get it.

Two words ....

Dan Enos.

Makes a load of difference. But beyond that, Jackson had serviceable targets and Petrino is a scheme-mastermind. 
Players vs Scheme is a no-brainer. The scheme will allow you to win against any players if done correctly. But you seem to be undervaluing the WRs for Louisville. All of them were pretty darn good in their own right.

Mostly Big-Bodied yet savvy route runners, Plus a Reggie Bonnafon in the backfield that could catch as well as gash in tandem with Jackson. And Jaylen Smith is a HIGH-LEVEL scoring target on his own. NFL ready as they come btw. Not to mention their backups were even contributing despite the drops. I don't think Jackson was throwing necessarily to scrubs off the street. 

image.png

image.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.png

Basing Jalen on the few throws in the SECCG is a pretty small sample size. Jalen probably did improve a little bit but I still think there would be better landing spots for him. 

29 minutes ago, wareagle881 said:

You might as well send this thread to Rivals recruiting, he isn’t coming to Auburn. Probably never had any interest.  

Will when he makes a decision.

22 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

So I’m basing Hurts’ passing on two FULL seasons, yet you’re basing him on one mop-up season vs 2nd stringers and gassed 1st stringers in 4th quarters + 2 TD drives against Georgia. 

He’ll never start a game as a QB in the NFL. Lamar Jackson has. Jarrett Stidham, at some point, likely will. 

On 1/11/2019 at 10:07 PM, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

And mechanically Lamar Jackson was TERRIBLE. Absolutely terrible... His hips were almost always stiff, he would throw flat-footed, sometimes he'd simply arm the ball. Now, that's not to say that he isn't a prolific talent because with mechanics like his, yet to be able to throw so far and with touch (at times), he HAD to have some excellent arm talent. 

Hurts, however, still is the better passer. He looks a LOT more polished and better. Another thing to do is to distinguish is WHAT the coaches schemed the QB to do. Pardon my speculation but it seems like a Kiffin Mantra to tell Hurts to read his first and maybe second read and bail because of his rushing ability. This just seems like it because of the fact that Kiffin worked with what he had rather than developing him extensively for any sort of purpose. 

Yet Lamar Jackson started eight games his rookie season, which will be eight more than Hurts his entire NFL career. Should be a terror in the CFL however. 

16 minutes ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

So I’m basing Hurts’ passing on two FULL seasons, yet you’re basing him on one mop-up season vs 2nd stringers and gassed 1st stringers in 4th quarters + 2 TD drives against Georgia. 

He’ll never start a game as a QB in the NFL. Lamar Jackson has. Jarrett Stidham, at some point, likely will. 

He also just finished his first year under a coach (Enos) that he willingly stayed to play back up for, just so he could learn to be a better QB.  I'm not saying Hurts will be an NFL starting QB, but I'm not ruling it out either.  We simply don't know how far he's progressed in that year, but my hunch based on that UGA performance is a good bit.  And if Nathan Peterman can start in the NFL, Jalen certainly can.

As a Broncos fan, I'd take him over Case Keenum right now.

23 minutes ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

Yet Lamar Jackson started eight games his rookie season, which will be eight more than Hurts his entire NFL career. Should be a terror in the CFL however. 

Look at the backup options the Ravens had. Don't be obtuse about this.

38 minutes ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

Look at the backup options the Ravens had. Don't be obtuse about this.

Flacco has been back from injury for a little while now. Jackson is starting on his own at this point.

Yeah, that's not a "we didn't have other options" move. Harbaugh has already said Jackson's entering 2019 as the starting QB whether Flacco is there or not. He won that job.

It's tough to say whether Hurts is a better passer or not. Jackson was the more dynamic runner. No question there, and that threat opened up the field for him. Jackson is a awkward thrower, but it's been effective for him. Hurts, on the other hand, was a liability as a passer by the end of 2017. I understand (and agree) that he looks much improved there, but only time is going to prove or disprove that. I'd love to have him in Auburn to roll the dice on it, but he'll be somewhere else.

20 hours ago, wareagle881 said:

You might as well send this thread to Rivals recruiting, he isn’t coming to Auburn. Probably never had any interest.  

Theres too much bama in him

46 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I'll be glad when Hurts chooses another school so the thread can be moved...

Asa chose another school weeks ago and we're still yapping on and on about him.

6 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Asa chose another school weeks ago and we're still yapping on and on about him.

Not in the recruiting forum. I don't visit the football forum much thank the good Lord.

4 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

He also just finished his first year under a coach (Enos) that he willingly stayed to play back up for, just so he could learn to be a better QB.  I'm not saying Hurts will be an NFL starting QB, but I'm not ruling it out either.  We simply don't know how far he's progressed in that year, but my hunch based on that UGA performance is a good bit.  And if Nathan Peterman can start in the NFL, Jalen certainly can.

As a Broncos fan, I'd take him over Case Keenum right now.

And you would be sorely, sorely disappointed, likely disgusted. He would make Tebow’s 2-year career w the Broncos look like Brady’s 20-year career. Can’t read a defense when his primary is covered. Looks to scramble immediately. How far will that get him in the NFL? We all know the answer. Not even on the field after August. 

He stayed, one, because dink is an incredible recruiter and two, he would have had to sit out 2018. Instead, he got practice and PT, which kept him “on his game” which made him more attractive as a transfer, rather than sitting on his tail not getting reps. Had nothing to do with playing for Enos, who by the way chose someone else as his starter. Loyalty there for certain. 

13 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Sounds like I'm late to the party on this one but Hurts is trending OU.

Since he entered the portal, OU has been my pick. (I had FL prior but Franks improved too much). Hurts would be an absolute fool if he didn’t choose OU. It’s his only shot of getting drafted. Just like bammer, plenty of talent around him. Not so much at Miami. 

42 minutes ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

Since he entered the portal, OU has been my pick. (I had FL prior but Franks improved too much). Hurts would be an absolute fool if he didn’t choose OU. It’s his only shot of getting drafted. Just like bammer, plenty of talent around him. Not so much at Miami. 

Maryland appears to be the other finalist but your Miami part can apply to them too.

On 1/14/2019 at 2:39 PM, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

Two words ....

Dan Enos.

Makes a load of difference. But beyond that, Jackson had serviceable targets and Petrino is a scheme-mastermind. 
Players vs Scheme is a no-brainer. The scheme will allow you to win against any players if done correctly. But you seem to be undervaluing the WRs for Louisville. All of them were pretty darn good in their own right.

Mostly Big-Bodied yet savvy route runners, Plus a Reggie Bonnafon in the backfield that could catch as well as gash in tandem with Jackson. And Jaylen Smith is a HIGH-LEVEL scoring target on his own. NFL ready as they come btw. Not to mention their backups were even contributing despite the drops. I don't think Jackson was throwing necessarily to scrubs off the street. 

image.png

image.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.png

Louisville sure was quick to part with this mastermind. 

13 hours ago, alexava said:

Louisville sure was quick to part with this mastermind. 

He is an offensive mastermind just an overrated head coach. Big difference. 

Archived