The State of the program

logan adams

Things are bad. Really bad. 

First off, the negotiations with Gus’s contract is a big ole question mark. Secondly, Leath, the BOT and boosters are making it to where Allen Greene is pretty much a non-factor in any of this. Secondly, Gus will be the first to catch fire, but he doesn’t even have the ability to go for his own replacement for offensive coordinator. Sound familiar? Same thing happened with finding Lashlee’s replacement. BOT and boosters refuse to sign a multi-year contract in this case. This completely rules out Hugh Freeze. He’s more than likely bound for Liberty. 

So next year we are looking at best to be a 7 win team. That’s being optimistic. Gus will take a lot of flack, but he has been cuffed. He has done things wrong as a coach in some of the decisions, but he is not 100% at fault. 

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He has averaged 5 losses a year the past 5 seasons. This is all his fault.  Many times he has chosen to hire his buddies over qualified coaches. He gets completely out coached in the 2nd half against teams consistently. I wouldn't want to throw away massive money for another faux coordinator either. Not hard to understand why the administration doesn't want to pay the buyout or waste money for a QB coach with an inflated job title.  Gus is a lame duck coach with a proven record of mediocrity that gets another season because of the contract. Investing even more money in long term contracts with large buyouts for his yes men would be silly. Not like he is going to allow a new OC to pick his own assistants and actually improve the offense. 

Unfortunately, this has been the state of AU football for a long time. Meddling, power plays, interference, no clear chain of command, etc.... Jordan-Hare stadium at last year’s UGA and Bama games best reflect what AU can be. Rabid, loyal, supportive fans, most of who are also alumni, and love the school and program with all our heart. When we unify, we can be elite. Right now represents the other Auburn. A select handful of people making terrible decisions. A lot of fans are convinced this is a new level of low, but I’m not so sure. I dont think its worse than our dark cycles of the past, its just that now we can lament over it on message boards 24/7. Maybe its time a few thousand fans and alumni grab some signs and gather at the Presidents mansion to protest this nonsense, and take back our University. 

1 hour ago, Gowebb11 said:

Maybe its time a few thousand fans and alumni grab some signs and gather at the Presidents mansion to protest this nonsense, and take back our University.

good idea

I think there is plenty of blame to go around. Gus is stubborn, the President doesn't seem to have a clue, the big boosters think that money = football knowledge. 

Man does a clean slate sound nice right about now. 

2 hours ago, AUBourne said:

He has averaged 5 losses a year the past 5 seasons. This is all his fault.  Many times he has chosen to hire his buddies over qualified coaches. He gets completely out coached in the 2nd half against teams consistently. I wouldn't want to throw away massive money for another faux coordinator either. Not hard to understand why the administration doesn't want to pay the buyout or waste money for a QB coach with an inflated job title.  Gus is a lame duck coach with a proven record of mediocrity that gets another season because of the contract. Investing even more money in long term contracts with large buyouts for his yes men would be silly. Not like he is going to allow a new OC to pick his own assistants and actually improve the offense. 

Then fire him. That simple. Oh wait none of the boosters wanna cut the check and Leath does not want Auburn (University) to fork it over. So here we are waiting to see if he quits or gets another job. I know I ain’t leaving 32 mill on the table, and I doubt if anyone of us would either. You want me gone. Pay me. You want to make it difficult while I’m here, I see but you still have to pay me, all while you are tearing the football program apart. Gus has always hired within his circle (offense) so it should not be a surprise he would do it again. He is an offensive coach who idolizes Spurrier, and I don’t recall him Steve giving his offense to anyone. None of this should have been a shock to anyone. Especially those that blessed his new contract, a contract they should honor, so allow him to do his job or let him go.

Just now, PoetTiger said:

Then fire him. That simple. Oh wait none of the boosters wanna cut the check and Leath does not want Auburn (University) to fork it over. So here we are waiting to see if he quits or gets another job. I know I ain’t leaving 32 mill on the table, and I doubt if anyone of us would either. You want me gone. Pay me. You want to make it difficult while I’m here, I see but you still have to pay me, all while you are tearing the football program apart. Gus has always hired within his circle (offense) so it should not be a surprise he would do it again. He is an offensive coach who idolizes Spurrier, and I don’t recall him Steve giving his offense to anyone. None of this should have been a shock to anyone. Especially those that blessed his new contract, a contract they should honor, so allow him to do his job or let him go.

I don't think anyone has said that he can not hire one of his yes men.  Based on his past it is expected. Just because the school is not willing to throw massive amounts of money for a multi year deal with a buyout to Freeze does not mean Gus can not pick someone else he wants.  The school would be stupid to agree to another huge buyout for an OC. Not throwing more money away that will be sorely needed after next year seems like the best plan to me.

Some of you are really young if you think its "really bad" right now. I'm guessing some of you only remember 2004 to current, shows how far we've come.

But imagine having a good football team that went undefeated and was banned from TV, the SEC Championship game, and bowl game. Imagine losing scholarships. and not advancing to a bowl game. This was all due to cowardly player and a Bama attorney over a couple hundred bucks.

Some of ya'll don't know what bad really is. 

Things were fine until the huge contract happened, and then this season. Leath and Harbert handcuffed us. Risk management was not accounted for in the contract. I'm hoping it was renegotiated. Right now it appears the board is trying to figure its way out of this. But we're a few days away from landing the best LB and QB in the nation, so ya'll keep making posts like this.

1 hour ago, AUBourne said:

I don't think anyone has said that he can not hire one of his yes men.  Based on his past it is expected. Just because the school is not willing to throw massive amounts of money for a multi year deal with a buyout to Freeze does not mean Gus can not pick someone else he wants.  The school would be stupid to agree to another huge buyout for an OC. Not throwing more money away that will be sorely needed after next year seems like the best plan to me.

Keep in mind it’s also what Freeze wants. And it appears Auburn is throwing next year away, and if that’s the case I don’t see what they just won’t move on from him now.

2 minutes ago, TigerFanAU said:

Some of you are really young if you think its "really bad" right now. I'm guessing some of you only remember 2004 to current, shows how far we've come.

But imagine having a good football team that went undefeated and was banned from TV, the SEC Championship game, and bowl game. Imagine losing scholarships. and not advancing to a bowl game. This was all due to cowardly player and a Bama attorney over a couple hundred bucks.

Things were fine until the huge contract happened, and then this season. Leath and Harbert handcuffed us. Risk management was not accounted for in the contract. I'm hoping it was renegotiated. Right now it appears the board is trying to figure its way out of this. But we're a few days away from landing the best LB and QB in the nation, so ya'll keep making posts like this.

I agree 100%z Although a lot younger....I do remember that. It was bad bad lol. I was told by another poster that if a kid makes his decision based on what is posted here, then we should not want them anyway, especially a QB.  

3 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

Keep in mind it’s also what Freeze wants. And it appears Auburn is throwing next year away, and if that’s the case I don’t see what they just won’t move on from him now.

Well, seems that Freeze is off the table so time to start looking at a real candidate and get moving before the signing date later this month.  There are plenty of imaginative offenses and OCs if Gus and AU really want them.....and JMO but I expect there is stuff going on behind the scenes now. 

2 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

I agree 100%z Although a lot younger....I do remember that. It was bad bad lol. I was told by another poster that if a kid makes his decision based on what is posted here, then we should not want them anyway, especially a QB.  

:)  BAD is going scoreless against  bama four years in a row and of course losing all of those games.....while our legend Shug was coach and we were on five years of probation..    

So.....yep, things are not ideal by a long shot......but BAD BAD.....not even close....

I think they should allow him to hire Freeze and if he starts pulling the same crap on Freeze as he did on Chip and Rhett, and we start losing, fire his tail and promote Freeze to head coach. Then we will kill 2 birds with one stone.

12 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

I was a little over 10 years old when all that stuff happened. I remember my dad being absolutely furious at what happened. Orchestrated by the other team in Alabama to take out Dye. And now I see their players on Instagram with expensive cars and jewelry. Make no doubt about, they spend hours trying to undermine AU football. 

Things aren't even close to being "really bad."

20 minutes ago, TigerFanAU said:

I was in my early teens but I can say without a doubt that the day Coach Dye announced his resignation I was crushed like never before. All I knew was Coach Dye and I couldn’t imagine Auburn without him. Plus the probation and all the stupid scandal like you said over some food money for a kid who turned on Dye and the school and sold his soul for nothing.  I thought it would be years before Auburn recovered but then 1993 happened and I started to realize the roller coaster that I would be on as an Auburn fan lol. 

16 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Well, seems that Freeze is off the table so time to start looking at a real candidate and get moving before the signing date later this month.  There are plenty of imaginative offenses and OCs if Gus and AU really want them.....and JMO but I expect there is stuff going on behind the scenes now. 

Having watched this over and over at Auburn I’m not surprised by anthing but honestly are the PTB just willing to sacrifice an entire season, not to mention a season that we have bama and uga at home, just to prove a point to Gus?? I’m no Gus fan but dang if you’re not gonna fire him then give him some leeway to hire someone that can help.  It tells me a lot about the people behind the scenes that they are willing to throw away 2019 to make a power play on the HC. 

10 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I think they should allow him to hire Freeze and if he starts pulling the same crap on Freeze as he did on Chip and Rhett, and we start losing, fire his tail and promote Freeze to head coach. Then we will kill 2 birds with one stone.

Freeze is gone. Hired at Liberty. 

Good God I love this school though yall. Love it.  Auburn gets in your soul and won’t let go. Its funny because I don’t know one single person from childhood who was an Auburn fan and changed to bama but I know several who were bama and fell in love with Auburn. Now I’m sure there are some out there but it seems more often to be UA to AU.  We’re all frustrated but by God its part of being a Tiger.  Without the suffering then the magical seasons wouldn’t mean as much. I’ve told bammers before I wouldn’t trade Punt Bama Punt or the First Time Ever or the Kick Six or Nix to Sanders in 93 for 10 of their NC’s. And I mean that whole heartedly and without reservation. Its bad right now but that usually signals something great is coming.  I do believe in Auburn and love it. Even if I don’t believe in those running the show right now. By damn men Auburn is still great. And the best news is....we ain’t bammers...

Best thing that can happen at Auburn is Gus goes on a winning streak for a couple years similar to what Tubs did in 2004, 2005, and 2006.  If the wheels fall off after that when his contract is getting near the end then so be it.  Auburn is going to have a hard time attracting a competent coach after all the garbage that went on over the past two weeks.

I was willing to quietly wait and give Gus another year if only as a goodwill gesture just to let the Josh Moon story controversy blow over.  But if we're actually making things worse by limiting Gus' ability to right his ship...?!  Even if this is all just some twisted Josh Moon PsyOp,  if the PTB won't come out and hotly deny everything, then we should just go ahead and end the Malzahn Experiment now.  It's the only way to stop the publicity insanity (though the real insanity within the halls of power will continue unabated behind the scenes as always... ;) )

I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure. 

10 minutes ago, nixtosanders94 said:

Good God I love this school though yall. Love it.  Auburn gets in your soul and won’t let go. Its funny because I don’t know one single person from childhood who was an Auburn fan and changed to bama but I know several who were bama and fell in love with Auburn. Now I’m sure there are some out there but it seems more often to be UA to AU.  We’re all frustrated but by God its part of being a Tiger.  Without the suffering then the magical seasons wouldn’t mean as much. I’ve told bammers before I wouldn’t trade Punt Bama Punt or the First Time Ever or the Kick Six or Nix to Sanders in 93 for 10 of their NC’s. And I mean that whole heartedly and without reservation. Its bad right now but that usually signals something great is coming.  I do believe in Auburn and love it. Even if I don’t believe in those running the show right now. By damn men Auburn is still great. And the best news is....we ain’t bammers...

Do you own a gas station?

10 hours ago, logan adams said:

Things are bad. Really bad. 

First off, the negotiations with Gus’s contract is a big ole question mark. Secondly, Leath, the BOT and boosters are making it to where Allen Greene is pretty much a non-factor in any of this. Secondly, Gus will be the first to catch fire, but he doesn’t even have the ability to go for his own replacement for offensive coordinator. Sound familiar? Same thing happened with finding Lashlee’s replacement. BOT and boosters refuse to sign a multi-year contract in this case. This completely rules out Hugh Freeze. He’s more than likely bound for Liberty. 

So next year we are looking at best to be a 7 win team. That’s being optimistic. Gus will take a lot of flack, but he has been cuffed. He has done things wrong as a coach in some of the decisions, but he is not 100% at fault. 

Agree he may have been cuffed some, but he has still greatly underachieved. With all the resources at his disposal, the fan base support, recruiting classes and having the 4th highest paid coaching staff in the nation, he has  fallen well under expectations and been very inconsistent.

Archived